The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Undaunted Heavy Attack PVP Build (Magplar and MagDK)

• RiskyChalice863
    RiskyChalice863
    ✭✭✭
    I’ve finally devised a way to make this sort of build work with the Necromancer class. It’s a little different than the other versions of the build, in particular because it does not run a restoration staff, and instead runs a flame staff on the back bar.

Basics of Necromancer Version of the Build

The gear and whatnot would be pretty similar to the DK version of the build that I outlined in a later post on the first page of this thread. Basically, do Undaunted Infiltrator/Undaunted Unweaver, along with a defensive monster set of some sort (Bloodspawn is probably best for the Necro), stack spell penetration, and probably run a couple stamina recovery glyphs.

The big difference is you want to run a flame staff on the back bar. This is primarily so that you can have a decent stun, with Flame Clench. But it also is a key to proccing off balance pretty consistently when you want to. This is because you can run a Shock damage glyph with a charged weapon on that back bar, so that if you use Flame Clench and then bar swap and put down a Wall of Elements, it’s extremely likely you’ll set the person off balance (assuming obviously that off balance is off cooldown on that person). Having this on the back bar is important, because it allows you to run a Charged weapon without nerfing your damage by not having sharpened on your lightning staff. You can afford to not run a Restoration Staff as Necro, because Intensive Mender can function like Rapid Regen, while you’ve got Goliath as a fight-reset ult so you don’t need resto ult.

In any event, you’ll proc Undaunted Unweaver with the stamina morph of Blastbones. This is good for a few reasons. First, it provides major defile, so even if the stamina morph won’t do a ton of damage, it still gives you lots of value, particularly on a build like this that isn’t a burst build. Second, it’s super cheap, so you won’t really put a dent in your stamina sustain by using it fairly often. Third, having it on the bar adds to your crit chance in execute.

Necromancer Build Skills

Anyways, I’d see the skills as going something like this:

Front Bar: Lightning Staff

Blighted Blastbones
    Deaden Pain
    Intensive Mender
    Skeletal Arcanist
    Elemental Blockade
    Colossus (either morph if no-CP, Glacial Colossus if CP)

Back Bar: Flame Staff

Hexproof/Expunge & Modify
    Flame Clench
    Resistant Flesh
    Summoner’s Armor
    Elusive Mist/Race Against Time
    Ravenous Goliath

Advantages of Necromancer Version of the Build

There are several benefits to the Necro version of this build:

1. Necros will actually probably do the second most sustained damage with their lightning heavy attacks of any class. This is because of their 15% DoT damage boost, as well as their penetration bonus—both of which buff lightning heavy attacks. DKs with Molten Armaments will do more base damage, but Necros should outpace everything else by at least a slight bit. Meanwhile, when you take into account the possibility to constantly or almost constantly have major defile up on the enemy, you realistically outpace everyone else even more, and can even potentially run similarly to the DK. The DK will still shred people who aren’t healing quicker, but if someone is outputting or receiving a good bit of healing (like roughly 3k+ per second after the -50% from Battle Spirit), then a Necro with major defile on the person will actually eat away at their health just as quickly or more quickly.

2. Necros will also have the highest possible damage window of any class with this build. If they time their use of off balance with the 8 seconds of major vulnerability from Colossus, then Necros can output roughly 10% more damage with heavy attacks during that time period than DKs can with Molten Armaments up against an off balance opponent (the exact percent figure depends on the enemy’s resistances, since Necros have extra penetration). That number is likely higher in CP, since Molten Armaments’s damage buff has diminishing returns the more other damage boosts you have, while vulnerability doesn’t have diminishing returns. Of course, this all requires an ultimate, but with the cooldown on off balance and with Deaden Pain, you can potentially line up a Colossus every other off balance and certainly every third one. If you run Bloodspawn, that’d make it not too difficult to get a Colossus every other off-balance proc on someone you’re fighting. Obviously that’s not taking into account using off balance on multiple people in a fight one after the other, but the point still stands that the Colossus damage window isn’t actually that much less frequent than the off balance damage window.

3. The stamina sustain on the Necro version of this build has the potential to be almost at the same level as the stamina sustain on the DK. Necro passives give a lot of stamina recovery, and Blastbones is very cheap. Meanwhile, Expunge & Modify is an option to get tons of extra stamina. Even if you are spamming Blastbones enough to keep Major Defile up, a High Elf in Bloodspawn with this build could have the stamina sustain to be able to break free every 7-8 seconds without your stamina pool going down at all. Meanwhile, you could easily have almost 18k stamina, and snares wouldn’t be an issue. So it would be very hard to catch you without stamina to break cc, even in no-CP. This is a big deal for a magicka build IMO.

4. This version of the build is probably the tankiest one. The resistances aren’t the highest since other classes have resistance bonuses, and there’s no access to minor protection that some other classes could get here. But you’ve got access to major protection, as well as 3% permanent damage mitigation on the front bar. And you’ve got 15% damage reduction on DoTs, and a purge. When the major protection isn’t up, you won’t be the tankiest class with this sort of build, but when it is up, you’ll be by far the tankiest. And it can be up quite a bit, since you’re creating lots of corpses and have no other corpse consumption ability.
    Edited by RiskyChalice863 on March 5, 2020 6:32AM
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah. This is my old PVE farming build on my sorc...Infiltrator and Weaver/Elegance/New Moon Acolyte - massive heavies and overloads. I use trap to proc weaver. Highest damage for me is Infiltrator, NMA and either Molag Kena or Slimecraw. I used to use the stamina bound armaments for 11% even more overload damage too. Works amazingly well, maybe better, on my Necro too - 33% damage reduction from deaden pain, 10% from ghost, 8% from fear totem, 5% from Altmer,

I've been using it to solo unhallowed grave dungeon for Draugrkin's grip...+600ish damage to everything when it procs would slot in nicely, and that essentially doubles the damage of a fast ticking mystic siphon as well as adding to lightning heavies.

The farm for a UI lighting staff is p a I n f u l. The fastest way to try it is elegance or NMA three UI jewels and 2 medium armor pieces.

I use roll dodge to set off balance on cool down.
    Edited by katorga on March 6, 2020 3:40PM
  • Carespanker
    Carespanker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah, Ive ran something similar but for stam (and its wayyyyy better).

Stam dk, Curse of doylamesh body, Undaunted unweaver weapons and rings, and a monster set of my choice (non cp? Maw of the infernal, CP? Chu-Dan.)

Use a 2h weapon, on the 2h bar use petrify, crit rush, execute, and every fighters guild ability possible with leap as the ulti.

On the backbar use a snb (because *** it why not) with Pierce Armor, Molten armaments, whatever other buff or heals that you need, and SNB spell wall ulti to instakill snipeblades.

Kills like this: pre buff, pierce armor, petrify, heavy attack, canceled with a crit rush, canceled with leap, ended with execute if they are still standing.

Pros: You get heavy armor which is about 35k+ hp in pvp. You hit like a truck, which means in non cp most people die in the first heavy attack. You will always top bgs. You get to spam the ever-living *** outa petrify (the most op ability in the game). You never worry about sustain because your main rotation is Heavy Attack. It will kill 95% of the people who play this game with ease.

Cons: you are downright played by max stam regen builds that can roll for days and ultra tanks.

I have named it the Clappidor, and its unfair.

Edited by Carespanker on March 8, 2020 12:53AM
  • MyPrist
    MyPrist
    ✭✭✭
    Just stop steal my builds already and make something of your own.

I play it 2 years ago already.
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MyPrist wrote: »

2? I played HA build 4 year ago and there were people who did that before me. If you dont contribute to the topic do not post.

P.S Finally with this patch molten armaments works again with resto and lit staff.
    Because I can!
  • RiskyChalice863
    RiskyChalice863
    ✭✭✭
    Bashev wrote: »

P.S Finally with this patch molten armaments works again with resto and lit staff.

That is so good to hear. I’m on console so I haven’t been able to test it on the new patch yet.

I actually do think that if Molten Armaments works, then the MagDK version of this build will be more powerful than this build has ever been—even despite the off balance changes.

• MyPrist
    MyPrist
    ✭✭✭

2? I played HA build 4 year ago and there were people who did that before me. If you dont contribute to the topic do not post.

What is a point to write about it than ? It is not the build that is unique, it already work a year ago - now moltan armaments is fixed ! But offbalance is changed and can not be applied 100% of time, like before.

So what is the point ? He start to create this topic when moltan armaments do not work correct - so i think he just try to copy paste some one's build, that he see before.

I do not like such thingth.
  • RiskyChalice863
    RiskyChalice863
    ✭✭✭

What is a point to write about it than ? It is not the build that is unique, it already work a year ago - now moltan armaments is fixed ! But offbalance is changed and can not be applied 100% of time, like before.

So what is the point ? He start to create this topic when moltan armaments do not work correct - so i think he just try to copy paste some one's build, that he see before.

I do not like such thingth.

I think if you read the thread you’ll see that I made pretty clear that I had used this build on my Magplar and that I also thought it’d theoretically work even better on a DK but had not quite leveled my DK yet to try it. I explained what I’d done with it on a Magplar and also what I thought would work really well on a DK. People pointed out in this thread that Molten Armaments was bugged, so I’d shelved the idea of using it on the DK until that ability was fixed. Now it has apparently been fixed (I’m on console so the patch comes today I believe), and I posted again on this thread to note that this potentially made the build stronger than ever.

I don’t claim to have been the first person to have ever come up with this idea, but I did not copy paste it from another build. We just happen to have come up with a similar idea.
  • Mindcr0w
    Mindcr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What is a point to write about it than?

I do not like such thingth

You do not like an open discussion about a build that many people are interested in discussing being held in a place specifically designed to facilitate such discussions?
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Masel wrote: »
    I've been recommending another build earlier in this thread.

Off-balance is a debuff you definitely do not want to miss in a heavy attack build. It doubles the resources you gain, and gives 70% more heavy attack damage without a cooldown on players +10% from exploiter passive in cp pvp, both values that boost the flat bonuses from the Maelstrom Staff and UI and a free ranged stun. Using both UU and UU was not ideal because it took away the chance of building for a charged trait for a higher guarantee of off-balance upfront and gave you more stamina than you actually needed to have.

Just my view, based on the practice of pvping for roughly 8 months on heavy attack dk builds. I use chudan+torugs+UI with defending resto and charged vMA lightning staff on front bar with unstable wall this patch, and it is very successful because players underestimate the impact of Off-Balance and standing in the unstable wall.

Ahhh Masel, finally another individual who knows the power of the charged vMA Lighting Staff blockade in PVP with this build. Good to see another one. Granted... I'd be terrified of petrify on this build lolz

Masel has been posting heavy attack builds for years. With this combo, I solo'd Arx for the lightning staff with basically heavy attack, hurricane for the stamina skill, wall for the magicka, hardened ward for "oh crap" and both pets in autopilot mode. I pulled all the stuff out of the bank and tried it with my Necro, works just as well.

Magdk with a flat 50% increase, omg, that would be fun.

If I golded it all out and transmuted to optimal traits, eso builder builder says 29K base heavies on my Necro/Sorc, 45K on a DK, before off balance.
    Edited by katorga on March 10, 2020 8:34PM
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Did the DK version actually get buffed this patch?
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • MyPrist
    MyPrist
    ✭✭✭
    Kesstryl wrote: »

It is like a year ago, but 9 month skill just did not work - it give me 0% add, so it was not buffed, but problem was fixed.
  • RiskyChalice863
    RiskyChalice863
    ✭✭✭
    Kesstryl wrote: »

In a sense, yes. Molten Armaments didn’t work with lightning heavy attacks before. But obviously off balance got nerfed, so you can only have like 1/3 uptime on off balance, whereas previously it could’ve been 100% uptime.

The upshot is that you used to be able to have a permanent 70% damage boost, whereas now you have a 50% boost 2/3 of the time and a 120% damage boost 1/3 of the time. The end result is very similar sustained damage over time (slightly more or slightly less depending on whether it’s CP with the exploiter passive) but a significantly higher peak DPS. So I think it’s better. But when you don’t have off balance up because of the off balance cooldown, you will actually be doing less damage now than you would’ve before.
    Edited by RiskyChalice863 on March 16, 2020 9:26PM
  • RiskyChalice863
    RiskyChalice863
    ✭✭✭
    I’ve played a lot with the DK version of this build this patch, and while I do think it is a good build and I’ve had success with it to a level that is well beyond what I normally can do on my builds, my conclusion is still a bit mixed when considered in comparison to my experience with the Magplar version of this on a prior patch. Of course, with the off balance changes, the Magplar version of this build isn’t anywhere near as good anymore, but the old version of it is still my main reference point for this build.

This patch, on a DK, you can certainly pump in a lot of sustained damage on people, and on bunched up groups. While obviously not burst damage, you can output really significant pressure on people, so it can make it quite easy for your small group (in a BG for instance) to get kills.

But there are a few significant sticking points for me, which make it so that I don’t feel like this is as good in practice as the old Magplar version was when I played it previously:

- Keeping all your buffs up and triggering your sets on the DK version of this build is a bit of a cumbersome nightmare that results in a lot of dead global cooldowns.

You need to use a stamina ability every 10 seconds to proc Undaunted Unweaver, and there’s not a stamina ability that covers a buff you otherwise need. So, for me, that ended up basically being a Crushing Weapon cast every 10 seconds that is solely for the buff, and therefore basically a dead GCD. You also need to use a magicka ability every 10 seconds to proc Undaunted Infiltrator. That one is a bit easier, but so much of a Mag DK’s kit is short distance that if you’re heavy attacking at range, not much of your kit can really do much. This means sometimes I have to spam Cauterize just for the sake of triggering Undaunted Infiltrator. On top of that, you obviously also need to keep Volatile Armor and Molten Armaments up (though sometimes those cover your Undaunted Infiltrator proc). The end result is just kind of cumbersome, primarily because you’re often left with multiple basically dead GCD’s in fights where you’re proccing the two sets with abilities that aren’t actually doing anything other that triggering the sets.

The Magplar version was a bit better in this regard. Toppling Charge and Reflective Light were useful and good abilities that naturally kept Undaunted Infiltrator triggered all the time, without any dead GCD’s. And your armor ability was the stamina ability that triggered Undaunted , so not every cast of that was a dead cooldown. There were still some dead GCD’s because if you’re casting Restoring Focus every 10 seconds, then half of those casts aren’t necessary. But overall, the Magplar version of this build I previously played just felt much more fluid, with fewer dead GCDs.

- The need to be close and have a ramp up time in order to proc off balance can make it difficult to utilize off balance.

Even with Molten Armaments being a big constant buff and with the off balance cooldown, this build is still going to be by far at its most effective while attacking off balance opponents. But you can’t proc off balance unless you’re close to the opponent. The DK is not fast, so you may need to use Empowering Chains to consistently be able to get in range. And, once you’re in range, it takes two GCD’s to proc off balance (Fossilize + Flame Lash).

This is, again, a bit cumbersome. The old Templar version of the build could be sitting at range from someone and use one ability to gap close, stun, and proc off balance. This DK build would take three GCD’s to do that. And two of those GCD’s would be after you gap closed—which means that in small group play you can pretty frequently get stunned or put on your back foot before you can even start getting the big off-balance heavy attacks off. Especially now that there’s a cooldown on off balance and, at least for me, it can be hard to tell whether that cooldown is up or not, gap closing into people and taking two global cooldowns in the middle of them before heavy attacking is a real risk that doesn’t always seem worth it.

So I found that unless I was only fighting one person, it was pretty rare to be able to proc off balance. This primarily left me just taking the +50% damage boost on Molten Armaments and not getting the even bigger damage boost on off balance.

- I didn’t necessarily feel like this did more damage than the Magplar version I previously played with. If anything, it actually felt like less.

I think there are a few reasons for this.

Two of them are related to the above two points. First, proccing the sets creates more dead GCD’s in a fight, not to mention just being less fluid (and therefore I was more likely to accidentally let the buffs wear off in a fight). Second, for reasons mentioned above, I often found myself attacking from a distance with just the 50% Molten Armaments buff, as opposed to the old Magplar version that always had the +70% off balance but up.

Some element of it is that my DK happens to be a Breton, while my Magplar is a High Elf—but that’s not a huge factor since the set damage doesn’t scale with spell damage.

Another reason is that the previous Magplar version of the build actually had ranged DoTs it could put out before heavy attacking—specifically Reflective Light and Degeneration. DK’s don’t really have a ranged DoT to use, and there’s not actually really room on your bars for more than maybe one DoT anyways (partly because you need three abilities to do what Toppling Charge does). Of course, part of this is that I played the Magplar version in Scalebreaker, so those DoTs were also super strong. But still, on the DK, you can’t put out as much pressure outside of the heavy attacks as the Magplar version I played could.

- The DK version of the build feels squishier than the Magplar version I played

The DK version just feels a bit squishier. I think this is for a few reasons.

First, Honor the Dead is a notably better burst heal than Coagulating Blood—which is pretty important on a build that doesn’t pump stats and therefore won’t have the biggest healing tool tips.

Second, in terms of active defensive abilities, Extended Ritual + Eclipse is better than Cauterize. + Wings. You get as much or more healing from Ritual by itself as you do from Cauterize (a definitely much more if your Cauterize is going to a teammate), and Eclipse heals too. And the purge from Ritual by itself is probably better than what Wings does, let alone adding in the added survivability that Eclipse can give you.

Third, the Magplar version had very high uptime of minor protection from using Toppling Charge, while the DK version doesn’t have access to minor protection.

The end result is that I felt harder to burst down, more able to recover with burst heals, and more able to use active defensive abilities to escape bad situations on the old Magplar version of the build.
  • RiskyChalice863
    RiskyChalice863
    ✭✭✭
    One variation I’ve been testing out instead is a Undaunted Infiltrator + Torug’s Pact build on a Warden.

Previously, I didn’t really think Torug’s Pact was a viable alternative, primarily because enchantment damage doesn’t scale up with the the off balance damage boost. But now, with off balance not able to be up all the time, that disadvantage loses a good bit of its significance.

Dropping Undaunted Unweaver for Torug’s Pact allows one to avoid the annoyance, dead GCD’s, and stamina drain that inevitably end up coming with triggering Undaunted Unweaver. And while the max stamina boosts on UU are not actually that bad for PvP IMO, I do think the 2, 3, and 4 piece bonuses on Torug’s Pact are better. Meanwhile, given the off balance cooldown I don’t think the potential overall damage is necessarily far off—at least on single targets—unless on a DK (since obviously Molten Armaments doesn’t boost enchant damage, so UU/UI would do a lot more damage).

I think Warden is the best class for the UI + Torug’s build based on a combination of a few reasons:

1. They have tons of damage boosts that will affect the UI and enchant damage.

You can easily get +16% flat damage boost from the Warden passives and Bird of Prey minor berserk. Fetcher Infection guarantees minor vulnerability. You can go with a Frost Damage enchant, which the Warden has another 10% damage boost for. And with that enchant going off a ton, you will chill people a lot, which will add 10% critical damage when attacking them.

2. They have a lot of heals that are not magicka/spell-damage dependent.

This is important since a UI + Torug’s build can’t get high magicka or spell damage and therefore would normally be left with inferior healing. A Warden’s healing with this build could include all the following things that are not dependent on magicka/spell damage: (1) the Lotus Blossom heals off light and heavy attacks; (2) heals when using animal companion abilities; (3) healing from Arctic Wind; and (4) the minor lifesteal from Leeching Vines, if you use that morph. Only the healing each second on vines and the burst heal off of Living Trellis (if you use that morph) scale off of magicka/spell damage. The result is that I’m fairly sure you can maintain better healing on a Warden than other classes with this sort of build, because other classes are more tethered to heals that are gimped by their stats.

3. Even with a Torug’s Pact build on a patch with an off balance cooldown, heavy attacking with UI does a lot more damage on an off balance opponent, so you want to be able to proc off balance as much as possible. And Wardens have a very easy one-button way to proc off balance, with Screaming Cliff Racer.

4. Beyond the healing, I think the Warden version of this is a bit more tanky than the others.

It’s got easy access to minor protection. It’s got minor toughness—very nice on a build that has a set with a health buff, can easily use tri-stat food, and can take health boosts on its armor/jewelry because most of its damage and healing isn’t stats-dependent. And since its passives boost frost damage and its got easy access to minor vulnerability without a shock enchant, it can be putting out a lot of minor maim that other classes wouldn’t necessarily be able to do.

I’ve tried this out on my Warden and had some good success, despite running it on some pretty gimped gear—my Torug’s gear is blue and CP 150, meaning low-tier CP 150 armor enchants as well, and only a purple frost damage enchant. Ran a BG where I had 21 kills, 16 assists, and 0 deaths with this (and the rest of my team died 16 times in total—with every teammate dying at least 3 times—so it wasn’t just some one-sided stomp).

The skills I’ve been using look like this:

Front Bar:

Screaming Cliff Racer
    Fetcher Infection
    Living Trellis
    Bird of Prey
    Bull Netch
    Northern Storm

Back Bar:

Arctic Wind
    Lotus Blossom
    Ice Fortress
    Shimmering Shield
    Flame Clench
    Healing Thicket

This seems like a good skill setup to me, though there are some alternatives.

- I may swap to Leeching Vines over Living Trellis, since I’ve got the Arctic Wind burst heal anyways (and it’s larger) and I think Leeching Vines would be pretty good here. You don’t need the burst heal from Living Trellis and that heal isn’t very strong anyways because it’s based on stats. Not sure if the Minor Lifesteal from Leeching Vines procs the Nature’s Gift and Accelerated Growth passives, but if so, then that’d probably make it definitely better.

- Northern Storm isn’t completely necessary—particularly as the max magicka boost doesn’t change that much for us—so one could use something different, such as the Destro ult, or Ice Comet, perhaps Permafrost. I found Northern Storm to be very good in combination with Arctic Wind at facilitating just running onto a populated flag while zapping AOE damage with heavy attacks, though.

- One could use Reviving Barrier instead of Healing Thicket. I’m not a massive fan of Healing Thicket, but I did find it working well on this build.

- Lotus Blossom isn’t actually as good as you’d think on this build, because you don’t get Lotus Blossom healing off of medium weaves of a lightning attack (meaning no heal if someone dies or goes out of LOS before the final tick of the heavy attack goes off). I still think it’s worth using since the heal does still synergize with the build and Major Prophecy is a really good damage buff for this build. But it might be possible to drop it—perhaps for Corrupting Pollen.

- I think Flame Clench is a nice component of this build. You have other stuns on the build—from Arctic Wind and from heavy attacking people you put off balance—but this provides you with an instant one if you need it. And unlike on most Warden builds, the knockback actually synergizes pretty well, since if they get close it knocks them to a range at which Screaming Cliff Racer can put them off balance. It also procs your back bar enchant (which I just have on weapon damage at the moment—not sure that that’s ideal). That said, I didn’t find myself using it a ton, particularly since the range of it is so limiting and I was getting lots of stuns off without it. That probably is partly just me not being completely acclimated to the build yet and missing opportunities. But it’s possible one could get more mileage out of Elemental Drain instead, or maybe even slotting a Restoration Staff and using Regen and Life Giver.

EDIT: Amusingly, I just realized that the Warden I’d been using this on NEVER had a mundus stone on it. Which is pretty crazy since it’s been easily my best character at soloing world bosses, and I’ve healed vet DLC dungeons on it and it’s been every bit the equal of my Magplar at that. I think I leveled the character long ago before I even knew what mundus stones really were, and then when I went back to play on it, I always just assumed it had The Mage mundus stone on it and never desired to change that since I basically always magicka stacked the Warden with Necropotence. But the upshot is that I had some dominant rounds in BG’s with this build on a Warden that did not even have a mundus stone.

Edited by RiskyChalice863 on March 21, 2020 8:32AM
  • Mindcr0w
    Mindcr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So looks like these builds are in for more changes again.

More damaging main attack, no more resource regen from it.

This going to kill it, impove it, or be a wash? Too early for speculation?
  • RiskyChalice863
    RiskyChalice863
    ✭✭✭
    Mindcr0w wrote: »

It’s so hard for me to tell. I think on balance it probably will be better. You’ll do significantly more single target damage with this build. There will also be the opportunity to use Empower to leverage more damage from it too. But not all the damage changes are good. I think the change to off balance damage on lightning heavy attacks is a nerf though I can’t really tell quite what the wording means (the wording makes it sound like it’s a shift and not a nerf, but it doesn’t seem to correctly portray how I think lightning heavies interact with off balance right now). And there’s definitely a nerf to the AOE splash damage. On balance though, I think you’ll shred single targets with this a decent bit more than before.

Another huge buff is being able move normal speed while attacking. This makes you less vulnerable to attacks, and also makes you able to keep up with people running away from you much better. The ability to dodge the final tick of damage—which will now be a huge portion of the overall damage—may more than offset at least that offensive benefit.

The sustain will become more of an issue, whereas the beauty of this build on live is that it doesn’t need to build for sustain at all and yet will have amazing sustain.

That said, I don’t think the sustain will actually be bad. Heavy attacks still don’t cost any magicka. So if you’re spending a lot of your time heavy attacking, then even low recovery will enough to simply pay for the magicka ability or two you use every ten seconds in a fight. It’s also worth noting that this build will still get magicka back off heavy attacks via the destruction staff passive that gives magicka back for kills with your staff. If you get a kill with your heavy attack—which you will—you’ll get 3600 magicka. Still, though, I suspect it’ll probably be necessary to build at least a bit more recovery into the build—maybe an extra jewelry glyph or two—just so that you can consistently keep your heals and buffs up without having to start light attacking for sustain. The good news is losing spell damage on your jewelry glyphs won’t lower the damage from the sets, so building in some sustain won’t be as big a DPS loss as it might be in most builds.

Overall, there’s so many changes that it’s hard to tell how it’ll affect this, but my suspicion is that this will do enough extra single target damage that it’ll feel stronger in PvP, even if it won’t be as good at certain things (pressuring groups, destroying people who roll dodge all the time, basically always having full magicka left if you’ve got to go defensive).

• katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This build is going to be such a monster it will get nerfed, at least on DK. I bet they nerf the staff damage CP if this goes live as well.

DK with MA and empower is 5500 damage to a heavy. Leaving you free to wear normal sets, or go Infiltrator/Unweaver for another 2300 damage. With a 34% increase to lightning channels and 192% (!) to the last hit, who needs off balance, even though it gets nerfed to 30% from 70%. The percent increases to the base staff damage more than outweigh 50% from the old MA.

Assuming you are light attack weaving while you set them up for the heavy, you might have more sustain. Players will have to get really good at dodging that last hit.

• RiskyChalice863
    RiskyChalice863
    ✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »

This build is going to be such a monster it will get nerfed, at least on DK. I bet they nerf the staff damage CP if this goes live as well.

DK with MA and empower is 5500 damage to a heavy. Leaving you free to wear normal sets, or go Infiltrator/Unweaver for another 2300 damage. With a 34% increase to lightning channels and 192% (!) to the last hit, who needs off balance, even though it gets nerfed to 30% from 70%. The percent increases to the base staff damage more than outweigh 50% from the old MA.

Assuming you are light attack weaving while you set them up for the heavy, you might have more sustain. Players will have to get really good at dodging that last hit.

I’m not sure that it’ll be quite as much better as you’re suggesting.

I just did some back of the napkin calculations using the patch notes and a no-CP DK version of this on UESP build editor.

From what I can tell, here’s the results, at least for that build in no-CP (all assuming that Molten Armaments is on):

- If you do not have empower or off balance up, the two builds will do essentially equal damage on their lightning heavy attacks (as in, not even 1% difference).
    - If you do have empower up but not off balance, you’re looking at roughly 12% more damage from a lightning heavy attack than on live.
    - If you do not have empower up, but you do have off balance up, then you’ll do about 11% less damage than on live.
    - if you do have empower and off balance up, then you’ll do about 1.5% more than live.

That’s all to individual targets. Basically, it can do more damage, but it’s not actually way more damage and doing more damage requires having Empower up. And having Empower up requires using an extra GCD on Chains (which does much less damage than heavy attacking)—which is particularly important since you want to pump as much damage as possible in during each Undaunted Unweaver proc time—and spending a bunch of magicka on using Chains often when you don’t actually have easy sustain anymore.

Then consider that the AOE splash damage got nerfed massively. You’ll definitely be putting out significantly less splash damage to nearby targets.

And further consider that the final tick of damage can now be dodged—which is a big deal since that final tick will now constitute around half of the damage. This is partly ameliorated by the fact that you can move at normal speed while heaving attacking (making it harder for someone to kite you), but the backloading of the damage also means that if someone IS successful in kiting you during a heavy attack then your damage will be low as you won’t get the final tick.

So, the more I think about it, the more I feel like in reality this may be a real nerf to this build. It seems like there will only be more damage if you have empower up. But the damage increase with empower up isn’t super high and you’ve got to spend a GCD and magicka every 5 seconds or so to get that empower. Meanwhile, the AOE damage is hugely nerfed, and about half the damage can now be dodged. And your sustain is much less good, so it may be necessary to build in a bit more sustain, further lowering the damage.

That said, there’s a couple significant caveats to what I’m saying:

- First, the PTS version of this build would scale better with CP than the live version does. That’s because the live version is way more dependent on percent damage increases (from Molten Armaments and off balance) as opposed to high base damage, so the percent damage increases from CP would scale better if Molten Armaments were instead a flat damage buff and off balance was only a 33% buff.
    - Second, I’m not quite sure what the “Removed the 200ms delay of the attack” part of the PTS patch notes means. If that means that you can do a lightning heavy attack every 2.0 seconds instead of every 2.2 seconds, then that’s a significant damage buff (as in, a 10% buff). But I’m just not sure that that’s what that means, as it doesn’t use the same language as the patch notes on other heavy attacks where they say the cast time was reduced.
    Edited by RiskyChalice863 on March 25, 2020 10:50PM
  • RiskyChalice863
    RiskyChalice863
    ✭✭✭
    Another point worth making here is that I think these changes would probably make Undaunted Unweaver worse than Torug’s Pact—at least for PvP.

The reason I preferred using Undaunted Unweaver over Torug’s Pact is that the Undaunted Unweaver damage is actually subject to the massive damage multipliers from off balance and Molten Armaments. However, these changes, combined with the prior off balance changes, would make that fact WAY less important. Instead of being subject to a +70-80% damage boost from off balance and another +50% damage boost from Molten Armaments, the Undaunted Unweaver damage would only be subject to a 33-43% damage boost from off balance. And off balance can now only be up about a third of the time. So the added benefit provided by Undaunted Unweaver would end up being greatly diminished from where it was when I first devised this build or where it is on live right now.

The same is true of Undaunted Infiltrator, but Undaunted Infiltrator has better 2, 3, and 4 piece set bonuses and more importantly is just way easier to keep triggered without wasting global cooldowns and bar space.

Overall, I think Undaunted Unweaver would still probably edge out Torug’s Pact in damage on lightning heavy attacks. After all, I don’t think infused Torug’s Pact enchant damage can do quite as much damage as the combination of: (1) UU damage that is sometimes buffed 33-43% by off balance; (2) a normal enchant’s damage; and (3) the extra damage you’d get from a different weapon trait, such as sharpened. However, the difference wouldn’t actually be that big, and going with Torug’s Pact negates the need to have really inefficient GCD’s to trigger UU, opens up a bar slot because you don’t need to have a stamina ability on your bar, gives you more potential to proc whatever enchant effect you have on, and the armor + health + spell damage bonuses from Torug’s Pact are probably better than the 2x stamina + spell crit bonuses that UU provides.
  • Vyvrhel
    Vyvrhel
    ✭✭✭
    I tried that build on PTS and it was not working very well. Did they nerf something?
  • RiskyChalice863
    RiskyChalice863
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like with Stonethorn and Markarth this build concept has gotten a pretty significant buff. A few pretty significant things:

1. The Stonethorn patch increased the damage on heavy attacks from the UI and UU sets from 1161 to 1685. Considering that this is the primary damage component of this build, that’s a *very massive* damage buff. This basically means that the current DK version of the build does more damage than any previous version of this build ever did. This is because, while the Scalebreaker version of the build involved 100% off-balance uptime (and therefore constant uptime on the 70% heavy attack damage bonus), Molten Armaments was bugged that patch and not giving the 50% boost to heavy attack damage. Even with off balance not up on an opponent, the current DK version of the build does more damage with heavy attacks than any version of the build could do to an off balance opponent in the original Scalebreaker version of the build. And when off balance is up, it is of course even higher.

2. The Stonethorn patch fixed an issue where the splash damage from lightning heavy attacks had been being double hit by Battle Spirit. This should make the AOE damage from this build go up a massive amount.

3. In Markarth, Empower was changed to last for 3 seconds, instead of being consumed upon one use and also applies to heavy attacks. This is somewhat niche and not necessarily useable on all versions of the build, but the DK version already uses Empowering Grip, so this provides a pretty significant damage buff to heavy attacks for 3 seconds after any use of that ability. You can use Empowering Grip in the middle of a fight to proc UI again and to create a damage spike (which gets even higher if the opponent is also off balance).

4. For the DK version of this, Stonethorn’s buff to Coagulating Blood is significant. The build struggles with healing because it doesn’t stack magicka or spell damage. When combined with Coag being generally a weak heal, the DK version of this build was really left with no viable burst heal. Coag being better won’t make this build good at self-healing, but it helps.

5. I guess this is more of a Greymoor thing, but it’s worth noting that this is actually a non-Vampire focused build that can actually still viably get use out of the vampire passives and Elusive Mist. Having the Undeath passive, Elusive Mist, and the extra spell damage after using Elusive Mist is a big buff to a build (particularly on defense). But the downsides of Vampire—particularly the ability costs—are a really significant downside to most any build. With this build, though, sustain is not such a big issue since you deal damage with an ability that actually regains you magicka. Higher ability costs are still a negative, of course—you may still have sustain issues if on the defensive for a while—and the extra flame damage taken and decreased health regen are notable downsides as well. But Elusive Mist and the vampire passives are legitimately very strong and it seems to me that, unlike other builds, this build could actually utilize those bonuses without having crippling downsides.
  • Mr_Nobody
    Mr_Nobody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    * DKs only get a buff on the last tick of the heavy attack (lightning), if you are using melee weapons/bow - it only buffs the base damage not counting the sets.

* Managing to keep up empower would work the best for Nightblades due to passives for the matters of damage.

* The easiest to manage it all is templar due to 10 second empower.

* Since Markarth you can also use weapon damage / max stamina for Lightning staff and vice-versa. Even though stacking damage provides minimal actual damage - I personally use weapon damage/stamina for Vigor and to increase dodge roll pool while on a Lightning staff.

* Using Pale Order on empowered Lightning attacks provides an average of 600-1200 heal ticks (single target) and additional if aoes are hit. + 1500-2000 plus 5Kish (final tick) or more if on Resto heavies.

Hello cyrodiil, let the nightmare begin.
    ~ @Niekas ~

• RiskyChalice863
    RiskyChalice863
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Nobody wrote: »
    * DKs only get a buff on the last tick of the heavy attack (lightning), if you are using melee weapons/bow - it only buffs the base damage not counting the sets.

* Managing to keep up empower would work the best for Nightblades due to passives for the matters of damage.

* Since Markarth you can also use weapon damage / max stamina for Lightning staff and vice-versa. Even though stacking damage provides minimal actual damage - I personally use weapon damage/stamina for Vigor and to increase dodge roll pool while on a Lightning staff.

* Using Pale Order on empowered Lightning attacks provides an average of 600-1200 heal ticks (single target) and additional if aoes are hit. + 1500-2000 plus 5Kish (final tick) or more if on Resto heavies.

On the first point, I don’t think it is true that Molten Armaments only buffs the last tick of the lightning heavy attack. That was true several patches ago, but it got changed and last I checked it was working.

That is a good point regarding the Templar empower uptime being really easy to keep up. I’ve always thought that the Magplar version of this build was the easiest to play even if the MagDK was the most powerful on paper. Toppling Charge is extremely good for this build since it’s a really easy source of off balance combined with a stun. Meanwhile, Restoring Focus is a really cheap/good stamina ability to proc Undaunted Unweaver. In contrast, MagDKs need 2-3 global cooldowns to do what Toppling Charge does in one cooldown, and they are stuck either using a really expensive stamina skill or a cheap one that wastes a global cooldown doing nothing useful. Adding the easy empower uptime from Solar Barrage may potentially make the Magplar the best option right now, even if the theoretical damage numbers from the MagDK are higher. To that end, I’m working on a concept for an updated Magplar version of the build.

Regarding using weapon damage and max stamina for lightning staff, it’s an interesting thought but I don’t think it’d be as good. The problem is that this build relies heavily on the sustain that heavy attacks provide. So, while a stamina-based version of the build could pump out as much or more damage, your heavy attacks wouldn’t be giving you the right resource back.

Regarding Pale Order, it’s a good thought and one I’d already been thinking about. I personally don’t have the item but I suspect it’d be really good for this build, assuming that it doesn’t get double hit by Battle Spirit. I typically play PvP in BGs, so I guess it might not be ideal if there were a really good healer on my team, but usually that isn’t the case.
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

On the first point, I don’t think it is true that Molten Armaments only buffs the last tick of the lightning heavy attack. That was true several patches ago, but it got changed and last I checked it was working.

That is a good point regarding the Templar empower uptime being really easy to keep up. I’ve always thought that the Magplar version of this build was the easiest to play even if the MagDK was the most powerful on paper. Toppling Charge is extremely good for this build since it’s a really easy source of off balance combined with a stun. Meanwhile, Restoring Focus is a really cheap/good stamina ability to proc Undaunted Unweaver. In contrast, MagDKs need 2-3 global cooldowns to do what Toppling Charge does in one cooldown, and they are stuck either using a really expensive stamina skill or a cheap one that wastes a global cooldown doing nothing useful. Adding the easy empower uptime from Solar Barrage may potentially make the Magplar the best option right now, even if the theoretical damage numbers from the MagDK are higher. To that end, I’m working on a concept for an updated Magplar version of the build.

Regarding using weapon damage and max stamina for lightning staff, it’s an interesting thought but I don’t think it’d be as good. The problem is that this build relies heavily on the sustain that heavy attacks provide. So, while a stamina-based version of the build could pump out as much or more damage, your heavy attacks wouldn’t be giving you the right resource back.

Regarding Pale Order, it’s a good thought and one I’d already been thinking about. I personally don’t have the item but I suspect it’d be really good for this build, assuming that it doesn’t get double hit by Battle Spirit. I typically play PvP in BGs, so I guess it might not be ideal if there were a really good healer on my team, but usually that isn’t the case.

Sonce you decided to use max weapon damage/ stamina for lighting staff, why not usespider cultisr. Provide 600 weapon/spell damage abilties inluding LA & HA.AND ANY other set you would like with it. Also, why not use power of light to proc unweaver instead of retoring rune? It is cheap and reduce target resistance, morph restoring rune bacl to magicka and be on top of your sustain if you need it, win-win.
  • RiskyChalice863
    RiskyChalice863
    ✭✭✭

Sonce you decided to use max weapon damage/ stamina for lighting staff, why not usespider cultisr. Provide 600 weapon/spell damage abilties inluding LA & HA.AND ANY other set you would like with it. Also, why not use power of light to proc unweaver instead of retoring rune? It is cheap and reduce target resistance, morph restoring rune bacl to magicka and be on top of your sustain if you need it, win-win.

I think you misread what I said. I have determined that using max weapon damage/ stamina for lightning staff is not good. The reason is that building into stamina with a lightning staff makes the sustain you get from lightning heavy attacks not nearly as useful.
  • Mr_Nobody
    Mr_Nobody
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you misread what I said. I have determined that using max weapon damage/ stamina for lightning staff is not good. The reason is that building into stamina with a lightning staff makes the sustain you get from lightning heavy attacks not nearly as useful.

Point of it is to use binding javelin for a ranged stun and vigor heals, combined with rapid regen. Having 32k stam and nearly 3k weapon damage heals for a ton, plus you got a pool to roll dodge. 22k magicka provides a decent Heal from Rapids also. I rarely run out of stamina in any of the fights.

Using toppling charge is a death sentence in any forms of pvp unless its a 1v1.
    ~ @Niekas ~

• Husan
    Husan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am looking for a ranged templar build for a while now, as I feel too exposed on melee. Sure jabs does a metric ton of damage but I don't like the "call of duty" style of combat ESO has devolved into where I either explode people in 2 seconds or they explode me instead. It seems to me many other people feel the same way considering most people run defensive sets, heavy armor, 30k+ health builds.

Heavy attack build is something I have considered since it worked really well for me on magicka sorc. However I feel templar just doesn't have the toolset required for this. The biggest pros are burst healing with honor the dead fueled by constant magicka gains from heavy attacks, radiant destruction to finish low health targets and empower from solar barrage. On the other hand, to consistently proc off balance I need to toppling charge, which brings me into melee range anyway and by then the whole build kinda doesn't make sense because it's better to just spam jabs if melee. Which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Other cons are a lack of a strong ultimate, lack of strong defense options (shield and eclipse could fill this if they get buffed) and especially the amount of work I need to do before damage starts coming out, all while I'm taking damage myself. On magplar for example: cast solar barage, cast entropy, cast puryfing light, and only then toppling charge and start doing dmg.

In conclusion, heavy attack build for templar is something that has potential, but templar really needs his toolkit looked at to make it work again as many of the skills were overnerfed. Most notably nova losing 20% of damage mitigation while it was debatable if it's worth slotting even before that, sun shield not being viable choice for any build other than pure health stacking build (and even other health based skills vastly outperform it - arctic blast anyone?), vampire bane not being worth a slot for quite a while now, and eclipse which also used to be a defining templar skill when in it's prime while now it has been nerfed to the point it is not worth slotting anymore.
    Edited by Husan on December 14, 2020 9:44AM
  • RiskyChalice863
    RiskyChalice863
    ✭✭✭
    I spent a lot of time in the last couple days running BGs on a Magplar version of this. I tried both a UU/Noble Duelist version and a UU/UI version. I think I still like the UU/UI version better, but Noble Duelist would actually be better for dueling.

This build right now is definitely at its strongest ever. Previously, the strongest this build had ever been was when off balance could be up all the time, so you could get a permanent 70% damage buff to your heavy attacks. But now, the sets got their heavy attack damage increased by like 45%, and the Magplar version gets a 40% heavy attack damage buff from Empower as well while the MagDK version has a working Molten Armaments. The end result is that even without off balance you actually do more damage than you used to do when off balance was up, and you can do that from afar. And if you do actually put someone off balance, you do damage that dwarfs anything that you could do before.

Of course, there’s still some significant downsides to this build. Your lack of mobility while heavy attacking allows people to run away from you and LOS you more easily. The fact that you’re channeling (and slow moving) while doing your damage leaves you vulnerable to counterattack. Self healing can be hard, since you don’t self heal from heavy attacks (though Pale Order can potentially rectify this I’d think) and your stats aren’t high so your healing abilities will be relatively weak. And it’s essentially a light armor build, so it’s not inherently bulky (though you can build in a good bit of health and resistances if you want).

Overall, in the last couple days, I’ve not had a single BG where I felt like it performed badly. There were some BGs where I only got about as many kills as deaths, but those were tough games where the other teams had some really good players and my team was getting rolled, so even doing okay felt like an accomplishment. And in other games I felt quite dominant. For instance, I just had a game where I had almost 2.5x more damage and kills than anyone else in the game. I haven’t built into defense on it virtually at all (I want to, but need transmute crystals and whatnot, and don’t have Pale Order), and so it’s currently a build where you’ll probably die a few times even in a dominant game. But basically, it can really completely melt anyone who is remotely squishy, and zapping into groups from afar can take out whole groups. Some players are tanky enough to survive, but these are the types of players with builds that are just unkillable 1v1, and I’ve been satisfied with how this build has allowed my team to actually get kills on these tanky players if 2 or 3 of us focus them.
  • RiskyChalice863
    RiskyChalice863
    ✭✭✭
    As a further update, I’ve done a good deal of testing of this build in BGs on my Magplar, Magden, and MagDK. Here’s my thoughts from that:

Magplar Version:

This version seems very good right now. Solar Barrage is an extremely strong ability in a UU/UI build since it gives empower for the duration. And the Magplar version of this build always had the big advantage of having a stun and off balance in one ability (Toppling Charge), allowing you to easily line up massive damage while someone is stunned. In my last two BGs with the Magplar version—both Deathmatch—I’ve gotten 19 kills and 20 assists in one and 19 kills and 10 assists in the other—with by far the most damage of anyone in the game. So it can be pretty dominant.

The weakness of the Magplar version is defense. The version I’m playing can die pretty easily, including to burst. I’ve been testing out using Harness Magicka early in fights to limit burst potential against me, and I think it has been good in this regard. When I’m in trouble, Elusive Mist and Honor the Dead are a strong combo for escaping and resetting, but the passive healing on this build is pretty limited. Living Dark is okay, but direct damage attacks are typically going to massively outdamage the Living Dark healing (though it is good against other Templars), and things move around so much in BGs that Extended Ritual isn’t a great personal HoT (though it is a good ability for other reasons). In theory, DoTs shouldn’t be a problem because you can purge, but with very little passive healing (including Living Dark not working on DoTs), you can be thrown onto your back bar to purge and spam Honor the Dead pretty easily if some DoTs are applied to you. Because of all this, I think Ring of the Pale Order would be particularly effective with the Magplar version of the build, since it’d mitigate the main problem with the build—which is that the lack of HoTs makes it pretty easy to throw you onto your back bar and force you to run away.

Warden Version:

This version also seems quite good, though it has a bit of a different set of strengths compared to the Magplar version. Basically, the Warden version usually does a bit less damage, and has a harder time stunning people constantly, but has significantly stronger passive healing, and is harder to burst down.

The Warden version generally does not do as much damage as the Templar version. You can stack a 15% damage boost from the Animal Companions passive and minor berserk. But 15% is much less than the 40% from Empower. So, the Templar version will definitely do a decent bit more damage than the Warden version. That said, there are scenarios where the Warden can outdamage the Templar. Specifically, since the Warden can apply off balance at range, it can do more damage than the Warden in a scenario where you can’t or shouldn’t jump into the person with Toppling Charge. This is not an uncommon scenario either, since there are certainly plenty of scenarios where you are much safer not jumping into a group of people. Overall, though, I do think the Templar version has a damage advantage.

The Warden version also does not apply stuns nearly as easily as the Templar version. You can stun with a heavy attack after setting off balance—which is a devastating combo, but can’t be done if off balance is on cooldown on the person. You can also get the Arctic Wind stun. You could also in theory put a flame staff on the back bar and use Flame Clench too—though that’d require you to forgo the defensive benefits of sword and board or frost staff on the back bar. So, while the Warden version can stun people, it won’t realistically do so as frequently as the Templar.

But the Warden version has one large advantage over the Magplar version, and that is that it actually has really good passive healing, compared to the very limited passive healing on the Magplar. Lotus Blossom provides a lot of passive healing on this build (though you must finish a heavy attack channel for it to heal you, which limits it somewhat). Living Trellis is really good passive healing that, unlike Living Dark, actually works to mitigate DoTs. Arctic Wind provides a HoT. And you’ll be proccing UU and UI with Birds and Growing Swarm—both of which provide you with a small heal. As a result of all this passive healing, it is much harder to push this build to its back bar and it can stay in a fight longer without escaping.

You also have minor toughness, which inherently makes you a bit harder to burst down.

Finally, Bird of Prey gives this build more mobility in some ways than the Templar version. It’s not super clear cut though, because the Templar version has a gap closer for some mobility.

MagDK Version:

I actually don’t really like this version that much. In theory, it has the highest damage of all of them. It has Molten Armaments for a 50% damage boost, and it has access to off balance and even to a bit of Empower. But it just ends up feeling clunky and not working that well IMO. Let’s compare it to the Magplar version:

You can sit back and do a lot of damage from range due to Molten Armaments. This is probably the best bet. But that 50% damage boost isn’t a lot more than the 40% the Magplar gets from Solar Barrage. And you basically have no stun at range, while the Templar can actually choose its moments to go in and quickly stun someone to help confirm a kill. It makes the Templar feel more dynamic even in ranged play.

You could also instead try to play in close quarters and use Fossilize + Whip to set people off balance and melt them. Again though, the Templar version feels better with a similar playstyle. Yes, again, the MagDK version will have slightly better damage because Molten Armaments is 50% compared to 40% for Solar Barrage. But gap closing, stunning, and setting off balance takes three global cooldowns for the MagDK compared to one for the Magplar. That’s a huge difference, since you can easily be stunned or put on the back foot as the MagDK before you even get someone stunned or off balance. It’s also a big difference since by the time you’ve finished doing all that, your Undaunted Unweaver proc won’t have much time left and you’ll have to waste a second recasting a stamina ability.

Meanwhile, the MagDK has the same issues with passive healing that the Magplar has. Cauterize is okay but not very strong, and you don’t really have much else in the way of passive healing, so you can be put on the back foot pretty easily. You don’t even have a great purge like Templars do (though you could in theory run the Support skill line purge). Coagulating Blood is better than it used to be—which is great—and allows you to actually kite with Elusive Mist and a burst heal similar to what the Templar can do. Leap gives you a fight reset ultimate that is better than any option Templars have (I’ve been running the Vampire ult on the Templar, and it serves a similar purpose but is much more expensive). Overall, though, this is basically a weakness the MagDK shares.

Edited by RiskyChalice863 on December 19, 2020 4:06AM