Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

put on your SWIFT and MOVE SPEED again, its king right now.

Wing
Wing
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
because of the back and forth on confirmation checks effecting combat right now (and destroying performance) speed and line of sight are actually far more important then they have ever been.

slot speed, keep moving rapidly, (bunny hoping does not count you still look dumb) line of sight often, and laugh as enemy attacks fail to even trigger and the get stuck playing half animations over and over.

Edited by Wing on March 21, 2020 5:20PM
ESO player since beta.
full time subscriber.
PC NA
( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
DK one trick
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ever feel like a lot of forum people talk about the game more than play it?

It’s like... 4 months after people are doing something for a while people catch on and finally get up to speed on the game. Problem is they usually ignore everyone else in the interim and are always 4 months behind.

Speed is good vs melee because they have to be in melee range to hit you, and most melee are using dizzy. It has nothing to do with the current patch.

Next logical step you’ll take is play a speedy build on a DK or warden to protect against projectiles because sorcs are everywhere. Or you can play a stamsorc and have speed plus burst, or a stamnecro to just be overall tanky.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 21, 2020 5:54PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speed never stopped being king
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knowing this game's devs and what they tend to do... Speed nerf incoming.... :(:disappointed:
  • raasdal
    raasdal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mobility and Disengange mechanics (cloak) never stopped being king.
    PC - EU
    Gromag Gro-Molag - Sorcerer - EP
    Dexion Velus - Dragonknight - AD
    Chalaux Erissa - Nightblade - AD
    Firiel Erissa - Templar - AD
  • mav1234
    mav1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    Speed is good vs melee because they have to be in melee range to hit you, and most melee are using dizzy. It has nothing to do with the current patch.

Things are different this patch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIzNq2exFHs
    edit:
    this one too, although some duplicate from the above
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXX0G6N424k
    Edited by mav1234 on March 21, 2020 9:56PM
  • mikey_reach
    mikey_reach
    ✭✭✭
    I actually do one swift on my medium armor stamblade plus i run bombard. It actually makes the class more fun and playable those 2 things have made it to were templars cant touch me with their spammable and stamina players cant touch me with Dswing. It also makes cast time ults connect more since they have to worry about root, snare and stuns all from the same player.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    mav1234 wrote: »

edit:

Well the only real difference I see is how animation cancelling effects abilities. The way he’s describing abilities has been that way for a long time, that’s why there are so many [snip].

[edited for inappropriate content]
    Edited by ZOS_FalcoYamaoka on March 31, 2020 4:42PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • mav1234
    mav1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭

edit:

Well the only real difference I see is how animation cancelling effects abilities. The way he’s describing abilities has been that way for a long time, that’s why there are so many rock humpers.

There are a large number of abilities where animation cancelling's changes have altered the positional checks timing in such a way that gameplay is different, and more speed has become more important to avoid the latency effect he describes, esp with executioner. Pay attention on a 5m range melee the amount of out of range messages you get now compared to how it used to be - it is markedly different. Something has changed, and running speed now has become more important on stam than last patch.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

edit:

Well the only real difference I see is how animation cancelling effects abilities. The way he’s describing abilities has been that way for a long time, that’s why there are so many rock humpers.

There are a large number of abilities where animation cancelling's changes have altered the positional checks timing in such a way that gameplay is different, and more speed has become more important to avoid the latency effect he describes, esp with executioner. Pay attention on a 5m range melee the amount of out of range messages you get now compared to how it used to be - it is markedly different. Something has changed, and running speed now has become more important on stam than last patch.

I don’t play stam really so haven’t noticed any difference as mag. Best solution would be to remove the 2nd check, remove the need to ani cancel in the first place.

People have cried like crazy to leave it in, but especially in pvp I’m noticing a huge gap between top end players and average players. People have lobbied to keep ani canceling as is to keep their advantage, but all this patch has really done is remove the benefit from ani canceling.

I’m not top tier, but decent, but I’m noticing the top end players are just wrecking people. Removing the benefit of ani canceling might help even the playing field and make pvp more competitive.

A little tangent to the point, but I think the devs trying to work around the ani canceling benefit is why they made the change. Not everyone wants to min-max that much. The whole block change was never about block imo, block is just the mechanic to cancel and they want to leave the animation so there’s counter play.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 22, 2020 12:37AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

edit:

I don’t play stam really so haven’t noticed any difference as mag. Best solution would be to remove the 2nd check, remove the need to ani cancel in the first place.

People have cried like crazy to leave it in, but especially in pvp I’m noticing a huge gap between top end players and average players. People have lobbied to keep ani canceling as is to keep their advantage, but all this patch has really done is remove the benefit from ani canceling.

I’m not top tier, but decent, but I’m noticing the top end players are just wrecking people. Removing the benefit of ani canceling might help even the playing field and make pvp more competitive.

A little tangent to the point, but I think the devs trying to work around the ani canceling benefit is why they made the change. Not everyone wants to min-max that much. The whole block change was never about block imo, block is just the mechanic to cancel and they want to leave the animation so there’s counter play.

Yes a top tier player should wreck an average player. That's not a problem. That's a natural outcome between two players of different skill level. Your suggestion does not make the playing field even. You are just dumbing gameplay down even further instead of learning to play. And what you most definitely don't do is make the game more competitive. Removing player skill from the game is the exact opposite of making gameplay competitive.

You want to advocate for the removal of ani canceling then feel free to hop on the train with the rest of them. But please spare us from the nonsense about even playing field and making the game competitive.
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pieratsos wrote: »

edit:

Yes a top tier player should wreck an average player. That's not a problem. That's a natural outcome between two players of different skill level. Your suggestion does not make the playing field even. You are just dumbing gameplay down even further instead of learning to play. And what you most definitely don't do is make the game more competitive. Removing player skill from the game is the exact opposite of making gameplay competitive.

You want to advocate for the removal of ani canceling then feel free to hop on the train with the rest of them. But please spare us from the nonsense about even playing field and making the game competitive.
    The problem with animation cancelling is that many players don't even know it exists. ZOS doesn't even adequately explain mechanics that it has implemented intentionally — the only mention I've seen of animation cancelling is a single loading screen.

I think that if animation cancelling were explained in detail in-game (maybe even a brief tutorial) it might go a long way towards making the mechanic a bit more palatable for the newly initiated. As it stands right now, I'd imagine it seems more like an exploit to them than anything. Of course that will never happen, just like a proper explanation of jump points (which would literally require just one sentence) will never happen.
  • mav1234
    mav1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of new players do see animation cancelling as a b it of an exploit, that's true. But they can learn about it from a variety of plces. A lot of ESO's systems are not well documented in game, and you need extra content to explain them.

Perhaps if animations in general were faster in this game there also wouldn't be the need to cancel them. Some abilities take way too f'ing long to go off if you don't cancel them in some form.
    Edited by mav1234 on March 22, 2020 5:32PM
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Langeston wrote: »

edit:

The problem with animation cancelling is that many players don't even know it exists. ZOS doesn't even adequately explain mechanics that it has implemented intentionally — the only mention I've seen of animation cancelling is a single loading screen.

I think that if animation cancelling were explained in detail in-game (maybe even a brief tutorial) it might go a long way towards making the mechanic a bit more palatable for the newly initiated. As it stands right now, I'd imagine it seems more like an exploit to them than anything. Of course that will never happen, just like a proper explanation of jump points (which would literally require just one sentence) will never happen.

Many players dont even know about status effects either. Should we remove them too to "make the playing field even and more competitive"?
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭

edit:

Many players dont even know about status effects either. Should we remove them too to "make the playing field even and more competitive"?

I think if they intended to keep weaving as an unintended mechanic, then they should be teaching players to weave in the introductory mechanics, not making them root through YouTube videos after they hear about it vaguely from a third party.

Because that's what creating an even playing field is. You don't make highschool football players play against NFL teams without teaching them the basics of the game.
    Edited by Cathexis on March 23, 2020 5:27PM
    The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
  • Neloth
    Neloth
    ✭✭✭✭

edit:

Lol, today I tried to run ranged magblade with marauders haste + steed. Its a bit of dmg loss, but was fun to watch melee stambuilds trying to land their skills on me

got reported for "speed hacks" as a result, again... :(

Edit: this also resulted into my fear missing the target a lot more frequently

Edited by Neloth on March 23, 2020 6:13PM
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neloth wrote: »

edit:

Lol, today I tried to run ranged magblade with marauders haste + steed. Its a bit of dmg loss, but was fun to watch melee stambuilds trying to land their skills on me

honestly the only time I ever got tea bagged was running marauders on a speed build zipping around an enemy keep and when they finally killed me.

I thought it was funny that I have killed and been killed loads of times but the times I get tea bagged were when I was not killing anyone.
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
    DK one trick
  • Paidkilla
    Paidkilla
    ✭✭✭
    It can get annoying, but i see it like this. If they are sprinting away or los with terrain and objects, well you might not be killing them but they are not killing you either. I don't see how any change or nerf would stop people from doing los jooks.
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paidkilla wrote: »
    It can get annoying, but i see it like this. If they are sprinting away or los with terrain and objects, well you might not be killing them but they are not killing you either. I don't see how any change or nerf would stop people from doing los jooks.

I got an angry tell from a sorc that was mad I was LOSing

dude had a twilight and strom atro ult.

I sent him back that was very pot calling the kettle black, but turns out he was either offline or muted me pre-emptively

I feel like if you mute people or are offline, you should not be able to send tells, cannot take it, don't dish it.
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

DK one trick
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cathexis wrote: »

edit:

I think if they intended to keep weaving as an unintended mechanic, then they should be teaching players to weave in the introductory mechanics, not making them root through YouTube videos after they hear about it vaguely from a third party.

Because that's what creating an even playing field is. You don't make highschool football players play against NFL teams without teaching them the basics of the game.

well technically they do tell you in the tutorial about weaving. its part of the advises the game gives you while u level up. Here is the thing tho. When u talk about top tier players it doesnt really matter how good the tutorial is. Sure it could be better but at the end of the day no one started the game as a top tier player. The difference is that the top tier players just cared enough to learn instead of running to the forums asking for mechanics to be deleted because someone else wrecked them. You can delete as many mechanics as you want. A top tier player will still wreck an average player not because of the mechanics but because of their different mindset.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

edit:

Yea, marauder’s haste is super fun. It’s just too bad you can’t kill anyone.

Try caluurion and fear traps. Your burst window is really short as a magblade, the traps let you waste the stun GCD early... then kite over the trap and go for your burst. Fear on its own just kills burst because unless they’re out of stam they’ll break free and dodge.

Be warned, you’ll annoy people. Especially if you’re healing in between your bursts in a BG, people will make it their life mission to hunt you down, which is fun in its own way too.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 23, 2020 10:49PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

edit:

You deserve to be wrecked by top tier players if you are not top tier.
  • Neloth
    Neloth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wing wrote: »

edit:

honestly the only time I ever got tea bagged was running marauders on a speed build zipping around an enemy keep and when they finally killed me.

I thought it was funny that I have killed and been killed loads of times but the times I get tea bagged were when I was not killing anyone.

edit:

Try caluurion and fear traps. Your burst window is really short as a magblade, the traps let you waste the stun GCD early... then kite over the trap and go for your burst. Fear on its own just kills burst because unless they’re out of stam they’ll break free and dodge.

Be warned, you’ll annoy people. Especially if you’re healing in between your bursts in a BG, people will make it their life mission to hunt you down, which is fun in its own way too.

With my setup I can actually kill 90% of people I meet in Cyro 1vs1
    Front bar dmg set(spinner, nma, spell strat) + all spell dmg enchants + fracture give me enough dmg to kill people (I have usual for other builds 20-23k ass will tooltips). Potato sustain is compensated by CP and skills (siphoning + magickasteal), and the fact that you don’t have to spam defensive skills to survive against melee builds, you can just kite their dmg and keep using cheep offensive skills.

Of course it won’t work in BGs where kiting and spreading people is not a valid stratagy, but it works very well in solo Cyro.

that’s why for BGs I drop marad haste for a sustain set.

I don’t like caul, since non-potato stambuilds always dodge it, and everyone and their grandma play stam for a few years, so they became less potato nowadays.

I also don’t like fear trap for high mobility play style, since I can’t afford to return where I was 4 seconds ago most of the time. In addition, I prefer to have instant on demand CC. Yes, I lose 1 GCD, but I better try to combo harvest -> CC —> ass will in the middle of their offensive combo, when they don’t want to dodge harvest. Or I can play around incap CC, running mark for better pen
    Edited by Neloth on March 24, 2020 8:44AM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

edit:

You’re missing my point. It’s not 1v1 someone will win, it’s 1v4. Even in BGs there are some games where I can take on entire teams by myself if I’m playing one of the stronger classes.

Most people just want to feed their ego and like the status quo, but if you play BGs it’s a little tiring to get 3 new players on your team against two veterans on another. You’ll lose.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 24, 2020 12:37PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its been like this for a while with lag. Just exaggerated now with the extra nonsense going on. Its heavily favored ranged players in that they have the reach where melee will not connect at all, but most ranged is dodgeable
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

edit:

You’re missing my point. It’s not 1v1 someone will win, it’s 1v4. Even in BGs there are some games where I can take on entire teams by myself if I’m playing one of the stronger classes.

Most people just want to feed their ego and like the status quo, but if you play BGs it’s a little tiring to get 3 new players on your team against two veterans on another. You’ll lose.

Being a skilled player and killing people means that u are feeding ur ego? Wow dude. The only one who is missing the point here its u.

Sorry but if 4 people are losing to 1 person then those 4 people need to L2P and removing animation canceling isn't gonna change that. They already have a billion different crutches to use so they can Xv1 someone. If they can't even use that then they deserve to get wrecked.
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    Its been like this for a while with lag. Just exaggerated now with the extra nonsense going on. Its heavily favored ranged players in that they have the reach where melee will not connect at all, but most ranged is dodgeable

I have always considered sorc a coward class, but it gets harder and harder to not roll one.
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

DK one trick
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »

I have always considered sorc a coward class, but it gets harder and harder to not roll one.

If you want an in your face brawler type and are annoyed with ranged builds try warden. Hitting shimmering shield negates almost all ranged damage. It’s a good class to negate range and be close quarters, I went MagWarden with some speed and it does well for me. Sorc’s great, but there are still lots of options.

Sorcs are the kings of ranged builds, but shimmering hard counters ranged (especially bow/bow) so hard I prefer it.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 24, 2020 7:14PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

edit:

Want to beat a team of 4 veteran BG players by yourself, play better than them ! . At a certain point it used to be possible in this game as the skill cap was very high unlike now where I can hold block on my S/B bar on my toon and survive more or less anything thrown at me.
    A part of what makes a top tier player beat other good players is the milliseconds gained by block cancelling or animation cancelling their combos or a few other things which is done by raising their skill cap.

Dumbing the game down will make sure you are beaten by a bunch of new lvl 10 PVE players on other teams simply because they outnumber you
    Edited by PhoenixGrey on March 25, 2020 5:58AM
  • Q_Q
    Q_Q
    ✭✭✭
    because of the back and forth on confirmation checks effecting combat right now (and destroying performance) speed and line of sight are actually far more important then they have ever been.

slot speed, keep moving rapidly, (bunny hoping does not count you still look dumb) line of sight often, and laugh as enemy attacks fail to even trigger and the get stuck playing half animations over and over.

That is what I do. It’s actually a lot of fun and I know zergs are mad when they can’t land that dizzying swing cuz I line of sight a stump :)
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭

edit:

edit:

With my setup I can actually kill 90% of people I meet in Cyro 1vs1
    Front bar dmg set(spinner, nma, spell strat) + all spell dmg enchants + fracture give me enough dmg to kill people (I have usual for other builds 20-23k ass will tooltips). Potato sustain is compensated by CP and skills (siphoning + magickasteal), and the fact that you don’t have to spam defensive skills to survive against melee builds, you can just kite their dmg and keep using cheep offensive skills.

Of course it won’t work in BGs where kiting and spreading people is not a valid stratagy, but it works very well in solo Cyro.

that’s why for BGs I drop marad haste for a sustain set.

I don’t like caul, since non-potato stambuilds always dodge it, and everyone and their grandma play stam for a few years, so they became less potato nowadays.

I also don’t like fear trap for high mobility play style, since I can’t afford to return where I was 4 seconds ago most of the time. In addition, I prefer to have instant on demand CC. Yes, I lose 1 GCD, but I better try to combo harvest -> CC —> ass will in the middle of their offensive combo, when they don’t want to dodge harvest. Or I can play around incap CC, running mark for better pen

I'd like to double on the NMA + Marauder's Haste + Steed combo. I tried this when Dragonhold first came out and had a blast zooming around. The perk that Harness Magicka and Channeled Acceleration don't break invisibility is pretty amazing. Who needs impen? Can't kill what you can't catch ...

I was using Concealed Blade and Cloak at the time for the movement speed and stun, but since taking off Marauder's Haste (for War Maiden's) I've been using Swallow Soul and Flame Clench instead. I wish there was a better way to fit all these skills on 2 bars, but I haven't found it yet >_>
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner