The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Trials, Dungeons, and Arenas Unplayable with Vanilla Gear?

VoidCommander
VoidCommander
✭✭✭✭✭
Something I have been thinking about recently is the power level of certain content in the game. I remember a while ago that a question about the difficulty of a new dungeon was answered with “our dungeon team was able to complete it just fine.”
My question is, what gear sets/skills are being used to test new content? Is something like completing the “Godslayer” achievement even possible with vanilla gear? (Plus gear dropped from that specific dlc). Godslayer might be a fairly extreme example, but I want to know everyone’s opinion on just how different a trial/dungeon group is in terms of effectiveness when compared to ESO+ and Vanilla.
Edited by VoidCommander on March 9, 2020 1:10AM
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dunno about Godslayer, but but if you're just looking to clear trials and dungeons, any gear will do if you know how to play.
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Normal difficulty? Nope, can be done with vanilla gear. Vet, it depends. They are definitely doable but some of the sets in the DLC promote group synergies, add a passive damage buff or defence buff. As a healer one of the setups I need requires me to use vanilla sets because it is the best option for the content.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • mobicera
    mobicera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4 person vet content can be done in vanilla gear, you may have a bit of difficulty with a dlc hm or vbrp but I'm sure you can do it.
    Just completing vet trials again I'm sure you can do it in vanilla gear though you may have to work a bit harder.
    Now as for your God slayer example well that is probably out of reach in vanilla gear, but don't fret chances are it's out of reach for 99.9 % of the player base regardless of gear!
  • VoidCommander
    VoidCommander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mobicera wrote: »
    4 person vet content can be done in vanilla gear, you may have a bit of difficulty with a dlc hm or vbrp but I'm sure you can do it.
    Just completing vet trials again I'm sure you can do it in vanilla gear though you may have to work a bit harder.
    Now as for your God slayer example well that is probably out of reach in vanilla gear, but don't fret chances are it's out of reach for 99.9 % of the player base regardless of gear!

I think doing blackrose prison on vet in vanilla gear would be quite the tall order. When designing the difficulty ranges for these end game dungeons, are the developers taking into consideration that the content needs to be playable for those who don't have all preceding DLC.

One thing they did that I think should happen with more frequency, is make more of the DLCs available to everyone free of charge. Just go down the list of the oldest DLCs, and when a new DLC comes out, the oldest one becomes free. It still will leave ZOS with dozens of DLCs for people to purchase, while giving less fiscal players an opportunity to get that end game ready gear.

On a side note, what actual purpose do the thieves guild and dark brotherhood dlcs actually serve at this point. Those should have come with the game to begin with.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get the hard-mode-no-death-speed trifectas for every DLC dungeon with crafted/overland gear. And I expect the same to be true for any trial trifecta except Godslayer.

Sure, fancy gear helps, and yes, it will be harder without. But definitely not impossible. How you play has always mattered more than what you wear.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Mister_DMC
    Mister_DMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spend the 15 dollars a month, that's very reasonable considering what you get access too and this is coming from a very money conscious person...
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Literally anything in the game can be completed in vanilla gear, including Godslayer. Trial gear just makes this easier, and allows for faster clear times and higher scores.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on March 13, 2020 12:30AM
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Literally anything in the game can be completed in vanilla gear, including Godslayer. Trial gear just makes this easier, and allows for faster clear times and higher scores.

Out of curiosity, has any group actually gone out of their way to get Godslayer with 12 toons decked out in vanilla gear? I'm sure it's possible, but it's one of those hypothetical things as it has probably never happened and probably never will.
    Edited by redspecter23 on March 13, 2020 1:01AM