Maintenance for the week of August 26:
• PC/Mac: EU megaserver for maintenance – August 26, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox One: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – August 27, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®4: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – August 27, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The beginning of roleplaying in ESO

  • Solinar
    Solinar
    Soul Shriven
    I'm also here from WoW, and I have to agree that the game was not great for RP. The elitism on my server there was another thing that drove me away. I'm more of a TES person anyway, and I'm really excited to have a game where I can RP with others around Tamriel.

    That being said, I do think Zenimax is actually listening to their playerbase a little more right now, given some of the major changes that were made from the first beta. If RPers voice their concerns enough, they will probably listen. We could even become more of a voice after a few months when the initial rush dies down.

    Anyway, since I forgot to add earlier, Solinar of Firsthold is the full name for my character in the game. :)
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RakeWorm, see...I disagree again. Every time I see the words "coherent storyline" I think "drama llamas" because in my experiences, that is what happens every single time. Someone gets all bent out of shape when someone else doesn't want to do things just their way. Guilds fracture, people quit...it's not a good environment, imho.

    The -only- reason open world RP "doesn't work in the long run" is because people simply stop doing it. There's no REAL reason otherwise. I mean...seriously. This is pretendy fun time. If you can pretend you are the character on the screen, you can sure ignore and not respond to some trollish child jumping around and spamming powers.

    I guarantee the longest any one of them will keep trying is five minutes or less. If you do not say anything to them, if you do not act as if another person is even present....you're denying them the satisfaction they're seeking, and THAT, my friend will hurt them worse than anything they can do to you or I.

    I'm stressing this point because I feel that is the real reason most people don't open world RP. They're too afraid of being made fun of. Well, I repeat: by ignoring trollish behavior and the players thereof...you're causing them more distress than they can ever cause you. Be the bigger person.

    Now, "arcing storylines".....means "stroking my ego". No good has ever come of guild RP in my experiences. Nothing. In over ten years, too. It's all been drama and heartburn. Grey hairs and stress.

    Open world RP is remarkably free of all that. And I posit this as a basic truth of open world RP: Life isn't scripted. There's no "overarcing storyline" to anyone's life. There's no continuity beyond the daily grind of waking up...going to work/school, coming home, hanging with friends, then eating, bathing, going to sleep and starting it all over again.


    Bottom line? The TL: DR of it all?

    I don't want to join a guild ever again...but I also don't want to be left out. I'm tired of cliques and drama, and just want to RP normal, everyday events. Even if the land is in turmoil and war is looming at the doorstep. That should make "everyday events" somewhat....extraordinary, don't you think?
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    @RakeWorm, see...I disagree again. Every time I see the words "coherent storyline" I think "drama llamas" because in my experiences, that is what happens every single time. Someone gets all bent out of shape when someone else doesn't want to do things just their way. Guilds fracture, people quit...it's not a good environment, imho.

    The -only- reason open world RP "doesn't work in the long run" is because people simply stop doing it. There's no REAL reason otherwise. I mean...seriously. This is pretendy fun time. If you can pretend you are the character on the screen, you can sure ignore and not respond to some trollish child jumping around and spamming powers.

    I guarantee the longest any one of them will keep trying is five minutes or less. If you do not say anything to them, if you do not act as if another person is even present....you're denying them the satisfaction they're seeking, and THAT, my friend will hurt them worse than anything they can do to you or I.

    I'm stressing this point because I feel that is the real reason most people don't open world RP. They're too afraid of being made fun of. Well, I repeat: by ignoring trollish behavior and the players thereof...you're causing them more distress than they can ever cause you. Be the bigger person.

    Now, "arcing storylines".....means "stroking my ego". No good has ever come of guild RP in my experiences. Nothing. In over ten years, too. It's all been drama and heartburn. Grey hairs and stress.

    Open world RP is remarkably free of all that. And I posit this as a basic truth of open world RP: Life isn't scripted. There's no "overarcing storyline" to anyone's life. There's no continuity beyond the daily grind of waking up...going to work/school, coming home, hanging with friends, then eating, bathing, going to sleep and starting it all over again.


    Bottom line? The TL: DR of it all?

    I don't want to join a guild ever again...but I also don't want to be left out. I'm tired of cliques and drama, and just want to RP normal, everyday events. Even if the land is in turmoil and war is looming at the doorstep. That should make "everyday events" somewhat....extraordinary, don't you think?

    I essentially agree with what you say on Open world Rp. We havent quite agreed on alot of things, but I really do agree with your take on Open world Rp. Rping within a guild is just too intrusive and feels too scripted, like things are supposed to go a certain way, open world Rp is more free form and I enjoy it better, hell I just enjoy playing the game as normal while IC. That is more fun than any guild specific storyline out of all my time Rping in mmos.

    I'll join a guild, but I wont really participate in guild specific storylines really. I dont care about trolls. Trolls I can just /ignore or report for harrassment.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RakeWorm, see...I disagree again. Every time I see the words "coherent storyline" I think "drama llamas" because in my experiences, that is what happens every single time. Someone gets all bent out of shape when someone else doesn't want to do things just their way. Guilds fracture, people quit...it's not a good environment, imho.

    The -only- reason open world RP "doesn't work in the long run" is because people simply stop doing it. There's no REAL reason otherwise. I mean...seriously. This is pretendy fun time. If you can pretend you are the character on the screen, you can sure ignore and not respond to some trollish child jumping around and spamming powers.

    I guarantee the longest any one of them will keep trying is five minutes or less. If you do not say anything to them, if you do not act as if another person is even present....you're denying them the satisfaction they're seeking, and THAT, my friend will hurt them worse than anything they can do to you or I.

    I'm stressing this point because I feel that is the real reason most people don't open world RP. They're too afraid of being made fun of. Well, I repeat: by ignoring trollish behavior and the players thereof...you're causing them more distress than they can ever cause you. Be the bigger person.

    Now, "arcing storylines".....means "stroking my ego". No good has ever come of guild RP in my experiences. Nothing. In over ten years, too. It's all been drama and heartburn. Grey hairs and stress.

    Open world RP is remarkably free of all that. And I posit this as a basic truth of open world RP: Life isn't scripted. There's no "overarcing storyline" to anyone's life. There's no continuity beyond the daily grind of waking up...going to work/school, coming home, hanging with friends, then eating, bathing, going to sleep and starting it all over again.


    Bottom line? The TL: DR of it all?

    I don't want to join a guild ever again...but I also don't want to be left out. I'm tired of cliques and drama, and just want to RP normal, everyday events. Even if the land is in turmoil and war is looming at the doorstep. That should make "everyday events" somewhat....extraordinary, don't you think?

    We are going to have to agree to disagree. The main difference being, that I have no fundamental issue with open world RP - I just have yet to see it last long in any MMO. But it can be quite enjoyable when it does happen.

    But saying "No good has ever come of guild RP in my experiences" is just far too narrow-minded. I don't know what happened that burned you on guild RP in the past, but I can assure you that there are many of us that have amazing memories and experiences with roleplaying guilds.

    It isn't one or the other. You can be part of a guild and still enjoy open world roleplaying if you can find it. The "if you can find it" being the key part.
  • Rastafariel
    Rastafariel
    ✭✭✭
    Dragon Tears Guild was just RPing in the Daggerfall Tavern before servers went down... Not sure if you count that as open world RP, but there ARE people out there doing it. In fact, we try to RP wherever we go, with the exception of Adventure Zones and PvP areas (although we will try some RPvP in Skull Crusher!) where we will be forced (most likely) to have VC.

    One of the only reasons we sometimes use party chat as RP chat is because "say" doesn't have that much range and we want the whole group to be able to hear and participate in the RP! But, whenever possible, we use Say.

    Join us in RPing! If you like us, maybe you will even feel inspired to join our Guild.

    You can check out our Charter under the RP Guild recruiting section of this website.
    A Dragon's Tear has many mystical qualities...
    dragontears.boards.net
  • Skookum
    Skookum
    ✭✭
    Dragon Tears Guild was just RPing in the Daggerfall Tavern before servers went down... Not sure if you count that as open world RP, but there ARE people out there doing it. In fact, we try to RP wherever we go, with the exception of Adventure Zones and PvP areas (although we will try some RPvP in Skull Crusher!) where we will be forced (most likely) to have VC.

    One of the only reasons we sometimes use party chat as RP chat is because "say" doesn't have that much range and we want the whole group to be able to hear and participate in the RP! But, whenever possible, we use Say.

    Join us in RPing! If you like us, maybe you will even feel inspired to join our Guild.

    You can check out our Charter under the RP Guild recruiting section of this website.

    I think I will check out your guild!

    Also, Have you tested the range for /say?
    * [ The Obsidian Shield ] *

  • Rastafariel
    Rastafariel
    ✭✭✭
    I have tested the range for say and it sucks.

    Sorry, I don't think there is a good way to slice that one, but I will say that in GW2 and other games, the range for emotes was WAAY too much.
    A Dragon's Tear has many mystical qualities...
    dragontears.boards.net
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    We are going to have to agree to disagree. The main difference being, that I have no fundamental issue with open world RP - I just have yet to see it last long in any MMO. But it can be quite enjoyable when it does happen.

    I can live with this. I too, agree to disagree. :)
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    But saying "No good has ever come of guild RP in my experiences" is just far too narrow-minded. I don't know what happened that burned you on guild RP in the past, but I can assure you that there are many of us that have amazing memories and experiences with roleplaying guilds.

    Now....how can it be narrow minded if it's my experiences I'm drawing from? All I have is other people's tales and stories of "wonderful guild RP"....but all I've ever seen is guild-shattering drama. It most certainly is NOT narrow minded to base an opinion on past experiences.

    I'll reiterate this point: Nothing has happened to me, personally to put me off of guild RP...it's something I have seen happen time and time again to guilds I've been in in the past.
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    It isn't one or the other. You can be part of a guild and still enjoy open world roleplaying if you can find it. The "if you can find it" being the key part.

    One does not simply "find" open world RP. One -makes- it happen....and I agree. It's not one or the other. Guild RP isn't viable for me. Ever. So all I have is open world RP. You? You're the opposite. But we're still on the same team, yes? :)
    Edited by MercyKilling on April 3, 2014 9:07PM
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • Sseerah_Shei
    I would love to RP! Both in game and in the forums. Especially with all the tension there was in the second era of TES. I already have the background for my character picked out.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One does not simply "find" open world RP. One -makes- it happen....and I agree. It's not one or the other. Guild RP isn't viable for me. Ever. So all I have is open world RP. You? You're the opposite. But we're still on the same team, yes? :)

    You can't make it happen unless you can find others that are willing to participate. That's the "finding" part that is so difficult. Have I had fun open world? Sure, I have. But in all MMOs, roleplayers are the minority - it can be a pain, especially as a game gets older, to be able to find them just running around. Which is why many of us join guilds.

    But as I said, I have no issue with open-world and I think it can be fun. I just don't bank on it, because it is usually the first type of roleplaying to die in a community. And setting-wise, it is just more difficult from a story perspective.

    But who knows, maybe this time around both modes of RP will be maintained. We'll see.
  • Ri_Dariit
    Ri_Dariit
    ✭✭✭
    And yes, I will be dropping WoW for ESO if the ESO team decides to support and listen to the roleplay community. Then ESO will be my game to play.
    This one just embraces the Khajiit lifestyle and doesn't "play". Ri'Dariit remembers his past life in Azeroth, but those makers stopped listening Eras ago. This one has some fond memories, but sore ones as the gods started caring only about coin. Even with no survey, Men and Mer can embrace its character in Tamriel if it removes zone talk. Many non role players abstain from /say so this can be our domain. Possible forming of RP chat room might fix sadness, yes?
    Fusozay Var VarJaji kor nirni. Ri'Dariit ahnurr shir Gouranga an vasa rid-t'har.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Possible forming of RP chat room might fix sadness, yes?

    This already exists, if you mean an OOC guild chat for roleplayers to help coordinate with each other or just discuss RP.
  • Solinar
    Solinar
    Soul Shriven
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    Possible forming of RP chat room might fix sadness, yes?

    This already exists, if you mean an OOC guild chat for roleplayers to help coordinate with each other or just discuss RP.

    How does one join this guild? Anyone specific I should ask? Since I'm level 20, I'm hoping to get some RP started now. :)
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    Possible forming of RP chat room might fix sadness, yes?

    This already exists, if you mean an OOC guild chat for roleplayers to help coordinate with each other or just discuss RP.

    Guild chat isn't the most RP friendly, as it uses one's @handle instead of character name for one's posts.

    Just pointing that out.

    I think what XY was talking about was giving players the ability to create chat channels.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • psychounz
    psychounz
    ✭✭✭
    I will be RPing as well and currently forming an RP specific guild :3
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just a little warning to the first time rp'rs... some of the rp guilds I've been in have been the least RP and most Drama filled I've ever been in.

    Just go in with your eyes open. :wink:
    The number one rule of online gaming is now and has always been, Never play on Patch Day.
  • ThornJagger
    ThornJagger
    ✭✭
    I always RP, my Khajiit has kept me immersed in Elder Scrolls for 20 yrs. Look me and my sons up in the AD.
    I never loose... I either win or learn.
  • psychounz
    psychounz
    ✭✭✭
    I've been RPing for a LONG *cough1998cough* LONG time XD I've been setting up this group for about a week now and I've run a few mu*s in my time.

    I know what I'm looking for ;) And, more importantly, what to watch out for!
  • Arcamean_ESO
    Arcamean_ESO
    ✭✭
    Delte wrote: »
    I am roleplaying but at the moment I am on my own, no guild yet.
    This is me, though I've mostly been focusing on learning game mechanics so I'm not a complete idiot when I play. I will look at getting my Khajiit sorcerer into a guild soon. I'd say my biggest gripe is the lack of obvious meeting spots for me to "find" others to RP with. the lack of chat bubbles is also weird for me since it's a nice "Hello here's notification that N'ava is saying something to you".

    Edit: While I do tend to be OOC "in game" if someone asks me to join them in an RP I will. You may need to be very forward though as because there's no chat bubbles I may not see " *Random person waves hello at the khajiit despite standing in their face*

    Edited by Arcamean_ESO on April 7, 2014 10:25PM
  • Necrokai
    Necrokai
    Soul Shriven
    So far I've only seriously rp'd in SP games, but I'm more than willing to join a group looking to rp it up. I can be found currently running all over Grahtwood in the Dominion, a khajiit named Ajizaad Razorclaw. Feel free to msg me.
  • dungya
    dungya
    I will be roleplaying as well but I think it is important that us, the RP community now as mad as it sounds but it seems to be the only way to reach the developers of MMOs.

    what we should do is to nag about things that could be better for roleplayers. I am quite sure the chat bubbles will be forced into the game, there was two other major mmos that also did not have it during launch but people whined so much so they had to push it into the game.

    With the megaserver technology they should have the technology to allow us to get a privacy button, what I mean with that is that we should be able to zone into a private stage of the zone you currently are in and then perhaps only friends and guildies could be allowed inside.

    That is initially something they actually can do with the technology they are using now. Also would solve the problem with trolls and non-roleplayers ruining.

    Sadly enough, its not about the tecnology, its about the code. now, im no expert on coding at all and from what i've heard is that they would have to re-write Lines, upon lines, upon lines of code to fit in these chat bubbles everybody wants. i believe they will probably put them in-game eventually (if they even could) but i don't think they will come back for a while. i heard they had them in beta for a short while but soon took them off. i assume for good reason.
  • Skyhawk462
    Skyhawk462
    ✭✭
    Seems like there is a lot of support for RPing in ESO...so why don't you all get together and start a guild rather than wait for the staff or someone else to implement something?
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many people will be capitalizing the first letter of every word in their sentences during their roleplay? If so, your English teacher and school system has failed you
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

    Captain of the Black Howling

    "There's no such thing as overkill..."

    "No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

    P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necrokai wrote: »
    So far I've only seriously rp'd in SP games,

    I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that by "SP games" you mean single player games.

    In which case...you're either talking to yourself or talking to the monitor.....kinda like I am right now......

    >_>
    <_<

    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • Necrokai
    Necrokai
    Soul Shriven
    Necrokai wrote: »
    So far I've only seriously rp'd in SP games,

    I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that by "SP games" you mean single player games.

    In which case...you're either talking to yourself or talking to the monitor.....kinda like I am right now......

    >_>
    <_<

    Well I meant backstory and things like that, though I have been known to say a few words to my computer when I get agitated.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    Possible forming of RP chat room might fix sadness, yes?

    This already exists, if you mean an OOC guild chat for roleplayers to help coordinate with each other or just discuss RP.

    Guild chat isn't the most RP friendly, as it uses one's @handle instead of character name for one's posts.

    Just pointing that out.

    I think what XY was talking about was giving players the ability to create chat channels.

    There are addons that allow you to change chat to see character names instead of UserID, or both at the same time. They are quite useful. esoui.com
  • thilog
    thilog
    ✭✭✭
    Stormcrow wrote: »
    Will Many People Be Committing To Roleplaying Their Characters?

    The only roleplaying I've seen on ebonheart (EU) is 2 people sitting opposite each other in davons watch... or maybe they were lofting.. who knows. They always seem to be there and never go up in level. And they aren't npc's... maybe gold sellers sorting stuff.

  • naatokb14_ESO
    naatokb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    @RakeWorm, see...I disagree again. Every time I see the words "coherent storyline" I think "drama llamas" because in my experiences, that is what happens every single time. Someone gets all bent out of shape when someone else doesn't want to do things just their way. Guilds fracture, people quit...it's not a good environment, imho.

    The -only- reason open world RP "doesn't work in the long run" is because people simply stop doing it. There's no REAL reason otherwise. I mean...seriously. This is pretendy fun time. If you can pretend you are the character on the screen, you can sure ignore and not respond to some trollish child jumping around and spamming powers.

    I guarantee the longest any one of them will keep trying is five minutes or less. If you do not say anything to them, if you do not act as if another person is even present....you're denying them the satisfaction they're seeking, and THAT, my friend will hurt them worse than anything they can do to you or I.

    I'm stressing this point because I feel that is the real reason most people don't open world RP. They're too afraid of being made fun of. Well, I repeat: by ignoring trollish behavior and the players thereof...you're causing them more distress than they can ever cause you. Be the bigger person.

    Now, "arcing storylines".....means "stroking my ego". No good has ever come of guild RP in my experiences. Nothing. In over ten years, too. It's all been drama and heartburn. Grey hairs and stress.

    Open world RP is remarkably free of all that. And I posit this as a basic truth of open world RP: Life isn't scripted. There's no "overarcing storyline" to anyone's life. There's no continuity beyond the daily grind of waking up...going to work/school, coming home, hanging with friends, then eating, bathing, going to sleep and starting it all over again.


    Bottom line? The TL: DR of it all?

    I don't want to join a guild ever again...but I also don't want to be left out. I'm tired of cliques and drama, and just want to RP normal, everyday events. Even if the land is in turmoil and war is looming at the doorstep. That should make "everyday events" somewhat....extraordinary, don't you think?

    Believe me, I feel your pain on the guild RP "drama-llama" situation in MMOs.
    I've had more than my fair share of it from SWG to AoC to SW:TOR.

    All I can say is you won't find that porcine manure in House Gawad Du. Mainly because we have some good people, though we're small and meant to be that way IC and OOC. But also because the moment we encounter any contention and/or needless drama, the officers of the guild will come down on it like a ton of bricks. Causing problems with drama, RP or otherwise, is an offense that will get offenders kicked from guild (if appropriate warnings go unheeded).
    gawad-du.enjin.com/
    "For what deem'st thou so dear thy blood, when through my veins it will flood?"
  • Raventiger_sb
    I'm still learning to roleplay. The Khajiit race has always fascinated me so I'm having fun playing them in game.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To those frustrated with how little roleplaying they are seeing, remember: the game has only been out a short time. People are leveling, exploring, experiencing the game. Many roleplayers don't become particularly dedicated to roleplaying until they are further in a game.
Sign In or Register to comment.