Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO-Five: From Alpha to Present (comparison)

HollHearsGlow
HollHearsGlow
✭✭✭
Greetings fellow adventurers!
To celebrate fifth anniversary of Elder Scrolls Online, I set, to make something I've been thinking for years - a comparison!
I take official screenshots and videos of ESO before it was released, from 2012 and 2013, and made my own screenshots of very same places in 2019, 5 years after official release.

Since originally I decided to make it a Twitter posts, they been separated in four volumes, each with small entry words of my. I will keep it same here.
I erect the spine of Gratitude to friends, that aid me in this idea, they are: @roksolana_sowa and @Lord_Umbranox .

Volume I:
Seven years ago i leap into province of Skyrim. But on another side of the world, different project, was lovingly forged to become outstanding jewelry of Elder Scrolls series.

x2ru3k90c22y.png
View of Wayrest, Stormhaven (armor doesn't match Breton, which i believe are on official picture, but rather represent what a Covenant soldier can be like those days).

wn8jtka8xiir.png
Tribunal Temple, Deshaan

hhqsmg08keul.png
Crypt of Hearts II (however on official screenshots, i believe, is COH1 which is quite dim).

yfhbpne6abk5.png
Mournhold, Deshaan

Imgur album (with separate screenshots):
https://imgur.com/a/WvLKMSu

Volume II:
Six years ago, I've meet people behind ESO. And even tho, it's been just a video, i felt like I had chance know them personally, having the feel, best described as: "They making something I want to be part of".
https://youtu.be/KxJTsq2XeKY

gwhky068aw2l.png
Stonefalls

a0rj2newp9dg.png
Sentinel, Alik'r Desert

vqfa34ta58s7.png
Davon's Watch, Stonefalls (careful, or she will hear you!)

ckmucbqs04ly.png
Spindleclutch I

Imgur album:
https://imgur.com/gallery/5JOsH2a

Volume III:
Five years ago, i sit quietly, staring into changing artworks of places I've never been to. Listening Sound-Wizard - Brad Derrick, and thinking: “What am i to do, all this long week, until next beta session...”
https://youtu.be/BPHf9l5odiE

vdkcbcz5txwr.png
View on Daggerfall, Glenumbra

93lxjrk05ty8.png
Mournhold Plaza, Deshaan

va3gj7pm1zag.png
Sentinel, Alik'r Desert

fbbeucuy7woc.png
Rivenspire

Imgur album:
https://imgur.com/gallery/zWupCUU

Volume IV:
Two years ago, I've meet very special Bosmer girl, that been living in parallel universe of Nirn for years, until One Tamriel change everything. Thank you Zenimages, for those 5 years, and the world, you gift to us.

b8f659v7imp3.png
Eastmarch

46m7h8nyr5hs.png
View of Elden Root, Grahtwood

vgkz4ztpqdzv.png
View on Wayrest, Stormhaven

2k8oqtma0ong.png
City of Wayrest, Stormhaven

Imgur album:
https://imgur.com/gallery/XYGwiHN

Thanks for having a look!

Sincerely,
Hears-Glow-In-Dusk, @Hears_Glow
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing!
  • Anny
    Anny
    Thank you! It's so nice
  • irragileb17_ESO
    irragileb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Holl, all your screenshots are so beautiful!! Take a photo of my character, please))
  • Pinesy
    Pinesy
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for sharing! It has been so long... I remember being disappointed by how "cartoony" and WoW-esque the early Alpha/Betas were. I'm so happy Zeni and Beth went the way of embracing Elder Scrolls originality and updated the textures/etc to be more "realistic".
    Beezenees IGN (PC/NA)
  • shepart
    shepart
    Soul Shriven
    Very Nice!!!! :)
  • DarkPicture
    DarkPicture
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually its funny some of them looks better from alpha than now e.g. Rivenspire or Eastmarch
    Edited by DarkPicture on April 28, 2019 12:53PM
  • Tatanko
    Tatanko
    ✭✭✭✭
    Browart wrote: »
    Actually its funny some of them looks better from alpha than now e.g. Rivenspire or Eastmarch
    Agree to disagree. If I see anything in the "after" shots that I don't like, it's mostly the distant fog -- something I've already remedied for myself since it's easy to do on PC :)
    Silvanus the Gilded
    Merchant, Scholar, and Benefactor
    Imperial Templar - PC/NA
    Learn More
  • BoraxFlux
    BoraxFlux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see the difference between old and more recent, looks definitely improved: better lighting, details, textures.
    Thanks for sharing!
  • Flashygrrl
    Flashygrrl
    ✭✭✭
    I can only imagine how spun out players that only started in the last 3 years would be in Mournhold, since the wayshrine moved and everything.

Yes, it actually used to be where it shows in the Deshaan loading screen and there weren't many other options because zones were leveled 😂😂
  • sirpz
    sirpz
    ✭✭✭
    Old ESO looked very WoW-esque
    Former Guild Master for the Gold Dragon Inquisitors
    Former Officer for the Stolen Sweetroll

The Bone Zone, Gryphon Heart | Argonian Necrotank
    Agristair Theol, Shield of the North | Breton Sorctank
    Julius Tullius Raenor, Immortal Redeemer | Imperial TankDK
    Rhosh the Impaler, Mageslayer | Orc Tankplar
    Blind-From-Shadows, Boethiah's Scythe | Argonain Tankblade
    Darius Countenain, Kyne's Will | Redguard Tankden

... and a bunch of other dps and heal toons

| CP 1300+ | 6500+hrs |
  • roksolana_sowa
    roksolana_sowa
    ✭✭✭
    It was really great idea and huge THANK U Holl for this awesome work.
    I happy that had chanse to be part of it even if it kept few hours to take right screen in right daytime and motion.
    Wish u more and more ideas and time to realise them!
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    This was really cool and brought back some memories, thank you @HollHearsGlow :)
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Anethum
    Anethum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nice idea, enjoyed to travel back in time
    @Anethum from .ua
  • HollHearsGlow
    HollHearsGlow
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you, friends! It fills my heart with happiness to see that so many find them interesting, and by this, my work was rewarded with knowledge that it brought something to you.
    Edited by HollHearsGlow on May 3, 2019 7:38PM
  • Rontabs77
    Rontabs77
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you very much. I enjoyed staring at these comparison images.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Crypt of Hearts comparison is amazing! I’m so glad they went more realistic with their art
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno why didn't you guys stick with the White Tribunal Temple?
    wn8jtka8xiir.png

That would be accurate to the TES III game
    latest?cb=20160727135318
  • HollHearsGlow
    HollHearsGlow
    ✭✭✭
    @Iccotak As from my perspective, ESO take much of visual influence from latest single ES game - Skyrim, which is more gray and dark in many terms. So in result Temple (and all Dunmer assets) become more "grounded". But on other side, your picture doesn't look unrealistic either, I would be glad to see its white.

Also... Its a Mournhold City, maybe it should look grim? What does Argonian know.
    Edited by HollHearsGlow on January 30, 2020 9:30AM