Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crown scammers!

Wrecking_Blow_Spam
Wrecking_Blow_Spam
✭✭✭✭✭
Beware that some people are pretending to sell crowns just to keep the gold and not send the goods...

Hello 😎 after a long time from this game and forums (1 and half year), I decided to play again recently with 1 of my friends pulling me back in.

Luckily I joined during the free trail period and had a blast in dragonhold, some vet dungeons and PvP! My love for the game was back but I only planned to play more casual and not spend on the game any irl money.

I saw a post selling crowns and long story short I had a spare 600kish total gold cash on game, for 550k I struck a deal for 5.5k crowns (summerset and dragonhold)... Fool on me because the guy scammed me so now I'm 550k light haha 😢
It's funny because I'm always so cautious of scammers etc, he showed screenshot of previous transaction and everything, I was originally just going to send 200k first for dragonhold, but I was impatient so sent the lot...

Anyway guys, just a warning to you this can happen (Xbox EU)
Edited by Wrecking_Blow_Spam on January 24, 2020 2:07AM
Xbox one EU
8 Flawless conquerors on all class specs (4 stam, 4 magicka)
Doesn't stand in red
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You hopefully kept screenies of convo? In any case, report it to ZOS. Good luck, sad to lose so much gold.
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    You hopefully kept screenies of convo? In any case, report it to ZOS. Good luck, sad to lose so much gold.

I kept screenshots but didn't report it, even though it's a bad move to do that kind of thing, I don't think ZOS could do anything about it. It was about 90% of my total gold 😆
    Xbox one EU
    Doesn't stand in red
  • Dolphinsgal
    Dolphinsgal
    ✭✭✭
    Still try to put in a ticket, best case they'll help worse case they'll say there's nothing they can do, but at least they'll have the gt of the person scamming and if they are reported enough they .ay get banned. The crown scanners are huge on xbox na as well.
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still try to put in a ticket, best case they'll help worse case they'll say there's nothing they can do, but at least they'll have the gt of the person scamming and if they are reported enough they .ay get banned. The crown scanners are huge on xbox na as well.

That's a fair point, I'll report him. it's ashame we can't have a naming and shaming thread here just so we could put all scammers in a big pile together
    Xbox one EU
    Doesn't stand in red
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you were on PC I'd send you some gold, because no one should have to deal with this sort of "oh LORD I'm so broke". Really, report it. You might be surprised.
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    If you were on PC I'd send you some gold, because no one should have to deal with this sort of "oh LORD I'm so broke". Really, report it. You might be surprised.

Ahh thanks man much appreciated 👍🙏 I've done it, will update if anything happens
    Xbox one EU
    Doesn't stand in red
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's never a fun time getting scammed. I recommend recording your screen next time, as I've been told that's the best evidence you can give.
    That said, also check going rates for crowns. I dont know XBOX EU prices but if the rate is too good to be true that's also a sign to be careful.
  • r34lian
    r34lian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also got scammed once so I reported with screenies after their generic response a week later they refunded the amount I lost not sure whether they banned that dude of not
    2000 CP • 18 Maxed Characters • 6 Altmers • 7 Redguards • Necromancer Orc • Warden Dunmer • DK Nord • DK Imperial • Templar Breton
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think zos stopped refunding gold after they updated the terms and conditions.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never trust someone saying they are selling Crowns
  • BackStabeth
    BackStabeth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Report scammers, report them every time, report them even when you don't want to, even for the smallest amounts.

These scammers know what they are doing is wrong. The problem with posts like this where someone was scammed out of 550k and the scammer got away with it is that it will encourage scammers, and those thinking about it.

Report scammers every time, post on the forums that you reported it so that scammers or potential scammers know beyond doubt that if they try to scam someone, they will be reported, they will be caught, and they will loose their privileges in having access to this game.

ZoS/EOS does take scamming seriously, they can look at the logs as well. If you engage in any transaction where you are sending gold for crown store items then make sure you record it, take screen caps, save the conversation so that you can report the transaction later if there is a problem.

And again, report it every single time no matter the amount.
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The opposite is also true: Some people take the crowns, but never deliver the gold. I lost 3000 crowns that way.

I reported that player, but never got a response from ZoS. That is now more then a month ago.

The worst part is, that they even do not punish the scammers. You will not see any recompensation either. :-(

Anyway: lesson learned: I will not do this ever again untill there is a secure way of exchanging crowns and gold.
    And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.
  • munchkinxx
    munchkinxx
    ✭✭✭
    I am GM of a prominent trading guild on PS4 EU.

I have a simple policy of not accepting applications that do not show CP with achievements points.

I also add to a members note of whether they are a trusted crown seller or buyer and most know not to buy or sell to members that are below a certain rank. Obviously higher the rank, longer they have been in the guild etc and are known.

I also advise members not to buy from zone and let them trade crowns freely in the guild chat for safety and act as intermediary if needed...kinda like PayPal 😂.

Fingers crossed, no one has been scammed in the guild since I took over 7 months ago.
  • madman65
    madman65
    ✭✭✭✭
    Report them to ESO and then roll the dice, which one do you think you`ll get lucky?
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    5500 crowns for 550k gold? Do I understand that correctly?

I am surprised that nobody brought this but the deal itself was more than suspicious. Average price per Crown on PC/EU is 350, might find some good deals for 300. I know the price is a bit lower on let's say PC/NA and might be on other serves too, but I am more than sure that 100 gold per Crown is either a completely drunk player that logged in after a party and had no idea what is he doing or a scam.
  • doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am surprised that nobody brought this but the deal itself was more than suspicious. Average price per Crown on PC/EU is 350, might find some good deals for 300. I know the price is a bit lower on let's say PC/NA and might be on other serves too, but I am more than sure that 100 gold per Crown is either a completely drunk player that logged in after a party and had no idea what is he doing or a scam.
    100:1 isn’t unheard of on XBox NA (not sure about EU). That’s usually the going rate in the guild I’m in unless a new batch of crown crates have just been released.
  • munchkinxx
    munchkinxx
    ✭✭✭
    doomette wrote: »

100:1 isn’t unheard of on XBox NA (not sure about EU). That’s usually the going rate in the guild I’m in unless a new batch of crown crates have just been released.

PS4 EU going rate is 100 to 135 per.

The 100 is usually in guild member to member deals. I have 3 members I buy from regularly to feed my sad crate addiction and am charged a flat 120.
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As there's no official system in ESO for this type of thing, the best way to not get scammed is to not participate.

People have the freedom to be anonymous jerks online, saying and doing crazy *** they'd never do in real life.
    That anyone would put trust in anyone else they don't know in a online setting is absolutely crazy.
    A trade between long time guildies or friends is one thing...a complete stranger advertising in chat is another.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC EU is the most pricey crownwise. Sorry to hear that happens to you guys.
    @Aelorin revisit your report and nag zos until they respond, and then keep pestering them until they give you your crowns back. It is usually easier to get crowns back than gold.
    @Wrecking_Blow_Spam you too, keep reporting until you get actual person answering you and not automatic answers.

Both of you remember to be polite and explain the information and that you lost your gold/crowns for no reason and that it is important to you (even if it ain't really important, had support ticket about some mistake i did that made me lose 180k gold without anyone else involved, still managed getting them back after few exchanges, and deleting items involved).

On another note, i keep buying from zone chat (last was dragonhold from zone and trial dummy from guild chat) as reckless as i am i was not scammed yet, hehe.
    Edited by zvavi on January 24, 2020 9:56AM
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    doomette wrote: »

PS4 EU prices float between 100-150g per crown. I don't think prices have ever been as high as 350!
    PS4 EU
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aelorin wrote: »
    The opposite is also true: Some people take the crowns, but never deliver the gold. I lost 3000 crowns that way.

I reported that player, but never got a response from ZoS. That is now more then a month ago.

Best to pretend that they have one, and only one, actual live customer service person who handles this for the entire game. Part time. On alternate Thursdays. They will probably get to you, but it may take a while.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah, my appologies guys. I wasn't aware of PC EU being so much higher in terms of crown prices than other servers. You know, I am playing on PC EU, 350 is completely normal for me. When I find a deal for 300:1 I am happy as no one but still find it a suspicious deal. And now people here are talking about prices of 100-150 gold per crown which sounded like paradise to me.
  • gatekeeper13
    gatekeeper13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you want my advice, when you buy crowns with gold always ask them to gift you the crowns first and THEN pay them. Thats what I did and never got scammed.
  • doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, my appologies guys. I wasn't aware of PC EU being so much higher in terms of crown prices than other servers. You know, I am playing on PC EU, 350 is completely normal for me. When I find a deal for 300:1 I am happy as no one but still find it a suspicious deal. And now people here are talking about prices of 100-150 gold per crown which sounded like paradise to me.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I imagine the price difference might be because gold is easier to acquire with the use of certain add ons, like the crafting writ one that makes doing them on multiple characters much more time-efficient (so jelly of that one). Of course not everyone uses those add-ons, but maybe enough do to make for a much richer economy in general?
  • KyleTheYounger
    KyleTheYounger
    ✭✭✭
    I think zos stopped refunding gold after they updated the terms and conditions.

^^
    This.

ZoS (aka ZoS legal team) is both perceptive and intelligent enough not to entangle themselves with impatient gamers who have more money than common sense. I'm willing to bet the updated EULA/TOS renders the words "accountability" and "ZoS" as mutually exclusive concepts. :D

It's bad enough when you get scammed irl over REAL and TANGIBLE assets from irl con artists. Who--if the monetary transaction was a high currency valuation--you may have most likely met in person prior to said transaction.

Real life Ponzi schemers the likes of Madoff, who scammed 50 billion+ irl currency from the rich and duped Wall St.

Sociopaths the likes of former billionaire CEO Elizabeth Holmes, who exploited thousands of terminally ill patients in order to scam billions from investors.

Smaller time con men the likes of Billy McFarland who scammed hundreds of social media sheeple junkies with #FryeFestival. List is too long here...

So as to WTH a player would ever think about using an UNINSURED entity the likes of ESO's player based economy, exchanging WORTHLESS DIGITAL CURRENCIES ---from A TOTAL STRANGER online --- whom they have zero ability to hold LEGALLY ACCOUNTABLE for said player based trade transaction??

The logic of the "why" in all this will forever continue to elude me. :D
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about what happened.
    I have one question: Why not use mail with the COD option? Would that not work? Ok two questions.

If the seller does not want to use mail, run far, far away.
    Just my 2 cents worth.
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about what happened.
    I have one question: Why not use mail with the COD option? Would that not work? Ok two questions.

If the seller does not want to use mail, run far, far away.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

Cant cod crown store items
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Iccotak wrote: »
    Never trust someone saying they are selling Crowns

That's a bit extreme :smile: I sell Crowns on PC/EU at 150G/crown, and while I've made plenty of sales to random people I mostly advise anyone interested to do it through a guild. Varen's Legacy is a dedicated crown selling guild on PC/EU that I'm part of. The guild leader mandates a fair price and vets any sellers. There are plenty of other guilds doing a similar thing out there though.
    If you want my advice, when you buy crowns with gold always ask them to gift you the crowns first and THEN pay them. Thats what I did and never got scammed.

Safer for you, but now us sellers can get scammed :tongue: And while you lose digital currency, we're losing Crowns we bought with real currency.
    Edited by Darkstorne on January 24, 2020 1:49PM
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    that's a risk you take giving gold to a person you dont know.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never tried crowns or gold for crowns unless I know the person.