Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crown scammers!

• gatekeeper13
    gatekeeper13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    Safer for you, but now us sellers can get scammed :tongue: And while you lose digital currency, we're losing Crowns we bought with real currency.

What I said is what a buyer has to do to avoid scammer. Not how to scam crown sellers.
  • TheTwistedRune
    TheTwistedRune
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Personally I feel ZOS should either ban this practise or imbed some kind of official tool for these transactions.

Just washing their hands of the issue in the T&C's is not going to make the problem for players go away.

I normally wouldn't involve myself in these type of practises, too much risk. But being a solo player by both necessity and choice there are things I would really like to get in game but can't, such as the beast personality. I see guilds with discord advertising runs for 1.5 million gold but want the gold up front. It would never cross my mind to not pay, I'd feel too bad for people nice enough to take the time to help, but in my experience not everybody shares that sentiment.

The process as it stands at the moment is a lottery of luck.

Edited by TheTwistedRune on January 24, 2020 2:19PM
  • KyleTheYounger
    KyleTheYounger
    ✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about what happened.
    I have one question: Why not use mail with the COD option? Would that not work? Ok two questions.

If the seller does not want to use mail, run far, far away.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

Cant cod crown store items

Precisely.

Now time to run far, far, FAR away.......
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want my advice, when you buy crowns with gold always ask them to gift you the crowns first and THEN pay them. Thats what I did and never got scammed.

As an occasional crown seller, I am the one spending the real life money, I want the gold first. Will not sell to anyone that wants the crown item first but Ive never come across anyone that has tried that.

This has always been my policy and I have never been scamed nor have I ever scammed anyone
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for everyone's input 👍

As far as I'm aware 100k per 1k is the going rate on Xbox EU.

I did mail the gold, as someone suggested but it's not possible to COD the crowns as an item.

People are right in saying only do this kind of thing with guildies, I messed up there tbh.

Hopefully this post can at least prevent more scams
    Xbox one EU
    8 Flawless conquerors on all class specs (4 stam, 4 magicka)
    Doesn't stand in red
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Still try to put in a ticket, best case they'll help worse case they'll say there's nothing they can do, but at least they'll have the gt of the person scamming and if they are reported enough they .ay get banned. The crown scanners are huge on xbox na as well.

That's a fair point, I'll report him. it's ashame we can't have a naming and shaming thread here just so we could put all scammers in a big pile together

Is there an outside site compiling trust/don't trust lists? There really needs to be a list.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    Safer for you, but now us sellers can get scammed :tongue: And while you lose digital currency, we're losing Crowns we bought with real currency.

What I said is what a buyer has to do to avoid scammer. Not how to scam crown sellers.

Both are buyers. One is buying gold. The other is buying crowns.

Both can scam.
    Edited by DaveMoeDee on January 24, 2020 2:49PM
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    r34lian wrote: »
    I also got scammed once so I reported with screenies after their generic response a week later they refunded the amount I lost not sure whether they banned that dude of not

That's good to hear it's possible 😁
    Aelorin wrote: »
    The opposite is also true: Some people take the crowns, but never deliver the gold. I lost 3000 crowns that way.

I reported that player, but never got a response from ZoS. That is now more then a month ago.

The worst part is, that they even do not punish the scammers. You will not see any recompensation either. :-(

Anyway: lesson learned: I will not do this ever again untill there is a secure way of exchanging crowns and gold.

Ahh that's sucks man, hopefully you can try get the crowns back. As others said if you sell crowns, wait til you get gold first (if you do in future)
    Xbox one EU
    Doesn't stand in red
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    Still try to put in a ticket, best case they'll help worse case they'll say there's nothing they can do, but at least they'll have the gt of the person scamming and if they are reported enough they .ay get banned. The crown scanners are huge on xbox na as well.

That's a fair point, I'll report him. it's ashame we can't have a naming and shaming thread here just so we could put all scammers in a big pile together

Is there an outside site compiling trust/don't trust lists? There really needs to be a list.

I'm not aware of any but it would be useful for sure
    Xbox one EU
    Doesn't stand in red
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wolfbone wrote: »
    Beware that some people are pretending to sell crowns just to keep the gold and not send the goods...

Hello 😎 after a long time from this game and forums (1 and half year), I decided to play again recently with 1 of my friends pulling me back in.

Luckily I joined during the free trail period and had a blast in dragonhold, some vet dungeons and PvP! My love for the game was back but I only planned to play more casual and not spend on the game any irl money.

I saw a post selling crowns and long story short I had a spare 600kish total gold cash on game, for 550k I struck a deal for 5.5k crowns (summerset and dragonhold)... Fool on me because the guy scammed me so now I'm 550k light haha 😢
    It's funny because I'm always so cautious of scammers etc, he showed screenshot of previous transaction and everything, I was originally just going to send 200k first for dragonhold, but I was impatient so sent the lot...

Anyway guys, just a warning to you this can happen (Xbox EU)

[Quoted post was removed]

And what about those folks who can't afford real $ to buy crowns? Young married people with ten and a half kids to feed? To get crowns their only option is to trade them for gold. Shoot I make decent money in real life but buying crowns for real cash just tastes sour to me. I haven't traded gold for crowns yet but when I do I'll work it through my guild, that's what these posts do is explain various options like asking their guild leader for a recommendation etc to people that are less risky.
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on September 25, 2020 12:36PM
  • TheGreatBlackBear
    TheGreatBlackBear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I roleplay as a thief/rogue/crown scammer. Please don't take that away from me
  • KyleTheYounger
    KyleTheYounger
    ✭✭✭

<snip>

And what about those folks who can't afford real $ to buy crowns? Young married people with ten and a half kids to feed? To get crowns their only option is to trade them for gold. Shoot I make decent money in real life but buying crowns for real cash just tastes sour to me. I haven't traded gold for crowns yet but when I do I'll work it through my guild, that's what these posts do is explain various options like asking their guild leader for a recommendation etc to people that are less risky.

Young, married people with 10.5 kids to feed SHOULD NOT be wasting family funds on a macro transaction riddled, loot crate box MMO. Where the goal of the dev is to exploit the impatient, impulsive online behaviors of its player base for monetary gain. Pick another analogy because players who have pressing irl commitments aka have dependents or other significant irl financial obligations) SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING THIS GAME. Like it's industry counterparts, ESO is designed for players who

1. don't need to work for a living aka minors under 18 and unemployed man-children still parasitically living with their parents in the basement/attic

2. have a lot of free time on their hands due to #1 i.e. are students, children still in school. And most importantly,

3. have disposable incomes regardless of whether this is from working or a welfare allowance from parents/care givers. Ideally, the higher this income is, the better. Because the store and lootbox crown crates are where ZoS makes their money exploiting the fan base.

If #1 - #3 doesn't apply to the player, then that's a huge red flag. Because if said player ever gets to the point where they have to decide between supporting family/irl obligations v. spending non existent disposable income on an online game, then that is the definition of pure irresponsibility.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

<snip>

Young, married people with 10.5 kids to feed SHOULD NOT be wasting family funds on a macro transaction riddled, loot crate box MMO. Where the goal of the dev is to exploit the impatient, impulsive online behaviors of its player base for monetary gain. Pick another analogy because players who have pressing irl commitments aka have dependents or other significant irl financial obligations) SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING THIS GAME. Like it's industry counterparts, ESO is designed for players who

1. don't need to work for a living aka minors under 18 and unemployed man-children still parasitically living with their parents in the basement/attic

2. have a lot of free time on their hands due to #1 i.e. are students, children still in school. And most importantly,

3. have disposable incomes regardless of whether this is from working or a welfare allowance from parents/care givers. Ideally, the higher this income is, the better. Because the store and lootbox crown crates are where ZoS makes their money exploiting the fan base.

If #1 - #3 doesn't apply to the player, then that's a huge red flag. Because if said player ever gets to the point where they have to decide between supporting family/irl obligations v. spending non existent disposable income on an online game, then that is the definition of pure irresponsibility.

Hmph. You left out people like me, who worked our 40 years, and are now comfortably retired. This game (and others) is my hobby, and I feel perfectly free to pay whatever I choose, and yes, buy crates if I like.

However, your end paragraph does make sense. But generally, many people are not very apt at making good choices. I am though.... For instance, when I was working, I NEVER played games - as I get obsessive over them, and if I had to get up at 4:30 am to make it to work at 6:30 am (40 miles one way, 8 miles of which were narrow twisty mountain road - and in the winter add an hour because of snow, ice, fog, blizzard....) I couldn't play for 8 hours before sleeping for a couple of hours. So I chose to not play games because obsession with same does not make getting to work on time (and in some cases alive! Yep.... don't ask) probable.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s sad we still don’t have the option to simply trade Crowns/Gifts directly for Gold. These scams happen very frequently and will continue to happen so long as the system in place promotes it.

Try to stick to buying crowns from guildies or remembering the sellers you’ve previously bought from.
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Create a twitch account and use obs to always live stream so you could potentially have witnesses and a video recording of everything that goes on and i bet you'll find fewer scammers if it's known you are live on line.
    I simply must protest. There are no Penguin avatars for me to use in the forums.

BTW, I use arch too
  • Lisutaris
    Lisutaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well...
    ...use crown vs gold discords/guilds..
    maybe more pricey but safe, for both sides.
    some ppl want to buy crowns very cheap....own fault. Shady af.
    I have always sold and bought via chat with random ppl. Never got scammed but I accepted the risks in doing so.
    Hopefully the Support will help. But even if yes... Don't expect a second time. Be more careful.
  • BackStabeth
    BackStabeth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think zos stopped refunding gold after they updated the terms and conditions.

^^
    This.

It's bad enough when you get scammed irl over REAL and TANGIBLE assets from irl con artists. Who--if the monetary transaction was a high currency valuation--you may have most likely met in person prior to said transaction.

You have completely missed the fact that regardless if you have been made a victim outside of the game, or in the game, regardless if it's in real life, or in a game the emotions felt after you have been scammed or made a victim are the same. As human beings we cannot help how we feel or having emotions.

People will claim all kind so things are not PC in real life, and yet, many times those very people will do exactly what they claim to be not acceptable in real life, in a game, or on a forum or any digital means of communication and then say "but it's the internet" or some version of. Regardless if it's considered real life or online the emotions felt are no different.

Scamming is not okay, not in real life, not online, not in any game. The only way those who seek to make victims of others will ever stop is if they know they will be punished. It's sad that being civilized also means that there is a need to force people to behave civilized because they cannot behave civilized on their own. So knowing this, we also know we need to properly report these people so that they are properly punished and forced to behave in an acceptable manor.

What is not constructive at all is demeaning people for trading online, or for choosing to believe people are more often good, or will behave in an acceptable way, or will not scam if given the opportunity. I am far too cynical myself, I see people as presenting the very worst things about themselves more often than not, but I cherish those who still see and believe people are inherently good. We certainly shouldn't be demeaning them for believing so, the world needs those types of people, this game needs those types of people, desperately.

• Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5500 crowns for 550k gold? Do I understand that correctly?

I am surprised that nobody brought this but the deal itself was more than suspicious. Average price per Crown on PC/EU is 350, might find some good deals for 300. I know the price is a bit lower on let's say PC/NA and might be on other serves too, but I am more than sure that 100 gold per Crown is either a completely drunk player that logged in after a party and had no idea what is he doing or a scam.

It's the standard rate on Xbox EU. I generally only sell for 125 as I'm tight but rarely get someone go for it.
    Edited by Beardimus on January 26, 2020 8:39AM
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beware that some people are pretending to sell crowns just to keep the gold and not send the goods...

Hello 😎 after a long time from this game and forums (1 and half year), I decided to play again recently with 1 of my friends pulling me back in.

Luckily I joined during the free trail period and had a blast in dragonhold, some vet dungeons and PvP! My love for the game was back but I only planned to play more casual and not spend on the game any irl money.

I saw a post selling crowns and long story short I had a spare 600kish total gold cash on game, for 550k I struck a deal for 5.5k crowns (summerset and dragonhold)... Fool on me because the guy scammed me so now I'm 550k light haha 😢
    It's funny because I'm always so cautious of scammers etc, he showed screenshot of previous transaction and everything, I was originally just going to send 200k first for dragonhold, but I was impatient so sent the lot...

Gutted for you mate. Best thing is to report, and if you need to go again go via a know guild or ask a guild master who's trusted on their guild.

I know a few sellers who are legit. Likewise I'm happy to flog a few if you need them again. Real sorry to hear it happened people are shite :(
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned, report the scammer to ESO, they do actually take action on these players with bans, though they do not always make restitution to the player who was scammed.

Also even though you can't name and shame here, the bigger reputable Crown Trading Guilds, do keep a list of scammers, so you can pass that info on to them and I am sure they would appreciate it.

Hate that you got scammed, hard lesson learned, moving forward I recommend using one of the discord based crown trading guilds like TCE and WCE, I'ved used both and they both provide accountability for trades.
    --- HuntGod ---
    Officer of the Unrepentant
    www.unrepentantgaming.com
  • kaisernick
    kaisernick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iccotak wrote: »
    Never trust someone saying they are selling Crowns

Not true i have sold them before as have many i know the key is trust.
    I have never sold any outside of my guilds because i am worried about getting acammed out of crowns so i only sell inside my guild but i know some who do and they normally use a third party to do the exchange.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

5500 crowns fro 550k gold is way way way too good to be true...
  • irstarkey57
    irstarkey57
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    You hopefully kept screenies of convo? In any case, report it to ZOS. Good luck, sad to lose so much gold.

I kept screenshots but didn't report it, even though it's a bad move to do that kind of thing, I don't think ZOS could do anything about it. It was about 90% of my total gold 😆

Zos refunded me 2mil that I got scammed out of. Worth a shot.
  • NekoTashi
    NekoTashi
    ✭✭✭
    I still don't get how people can fall for such scam lol. Specially when it sounds too good to be true!

You want crowns?! Buy them the official way. And if you can't spend real money into the game, then either don't open the shop or don't play the game at all until you finally are able to spend some real money into it. Its simple as that.

I can proudly say that I've never been scammed by any player. Why?! Cause I use my common sense. More people should do the same (or at least try).
    PS4/EU Gamer | I don't have haters, just fans in denial.
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭

5500 crowns fro 550k gold is way way way too good to be true...

It's the going rate on Xbox, has been for a couple of years as far as I'm aware. I've sold at the price long time ago
    Xbox one EU
    Doesn't stand in red
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    You hopefully kept screenies of convo? In any case, report it to ZOS. Good luck, sad to lose so much gold.

I kept screenshots but didn't report it, even though it's a bad move to do that kind of thing, I don't think ZOS could do anything about it. It was about 90% of my total gold 😆

Zos refunded me 2mil that I got scammed out of. Worth a shot.

That's great to hear, that's a crazy amount o:)
    Xbox one EU
    Doesn't stand in red
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BackStabeth
    Nicely put and agreed!
    Xbox one EU
    Doesn't stand in red
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They just need to add a converter like gw2 crowns to gold and gold to crowns. I have never spent money on gw2 gems only ingame gold and tbh it's been no issue getting what I want. Takes me about a week to farm gold for a 30usd purchase but I am a slow farmer.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • CaptainVenom
    CaptainVenom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You shoul report it. ZOS will probably punish the scammer, but they won't refund your gold, I'm afraid.
    🌈 Ride with Pride 🌈Magicka/Damage Necromancer - PC - NA - DC
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NekoTashi wrote: »
    I still don't get how people can fall for such scam lol. Specially when it sounds too good to be true!

You want crowns?! Buy them the official way. And if you can't spend real money into the game, then either don't open the shop or don't play the game at all until you finally are able to spend some real money into it. Its simple as that.

I can proudly say that I've never been scammed by any player. Why?! Cause I use my common sense. More people should do the same (or at least try).

Lol. I wasnt scammed yet and i bought probably more than 30k crowns from players (cant remember exact numbers but only last month is 12k for 2 trial dummies).
    Crown exchange and gifting is even encouraged by zos, and was never "outlawed". If the government had two different currencies, didn't outlaw exchange, but didnt provide a safe way to exchange it either, i would still expect it to help you in case you have proof of misdeed. ESPECIALLY since you have payed for citizenship. And many times pay even extra taxes (eso+) and that making the changes to digital currencies is easy. If they dont they can be easily accused for bad customer services. Negative marketing is a scary thing.
    Edited by zvavi on January 26, 2020 5:12PM