Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

New IP Address? Time for authenticators?

Thete
Thete
✭✭✭
So I've just logged on and been told that I wasn't authorised because I'm logging on using a new IP address and they've sent an authorisation code to my e-mail.

Now, on the one hand, the code worked fine and it wasn't much of a delay to log in. But on the other hand, I haven't changed my IP address, I'm using the same computer I always have in the same location, on the same network. So I'm a little concerned.

Would it not just be easier to secure accounts with an authenticator?
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your public IP might change, it depends on the router and (if you are on fiber) on the switch that resides in your building/area
  • rootimus
    rootimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mutharex wrote: »
    Your public IP might change, it depends on the router and (if you are on fiber) on the switch that resides in your building/area

OP is referring to what I presume is a bug. I'm on a static IP and had the same issue yesterday. Yup, the code they mail works, but it would be nice if it didn't happen in the first place. :smile:
    Even on the internet, clear communication is important; it can be the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" and "helping your uncle jack off a horse"; the difference between "knowing your s***" and "knowing you're s***".
    Greybeards & Gals - Civilised, laid-back, mature gamers. Beards optional. |
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rootimus wrote: »

OP is referring to what I presume is a bug. I'm on a static IP and had the same issue yesterday. Yup, the code they mail works, but it would be nice if it didn't happen in the first place. :smile:

You have a static Public IP?
  • dannomite82
    dannomite82
    ✭✭
    Looks to me like they just implemented it. Now that you've entered it once, it will save that IP. They likely didn't have your IP saved before, so they can't assume anything.
    Holgrum put some pants on. Holgrum heal me I'm dying. Nag... Nag... Nag...
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As others said, this was probably due to an update that may have reset the client having your IP saved. A ton of people had to do this in the last couple days.
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    At least you got your code right away, took 30mins to receive mine. Which is why I hate these email authentication systems. Had same issue in gw2, couldn't log in for 2 days because it wouldn't send the email, had to contact support and get them to remove the system from my account.

Authenticator tokens are far better.
  • rootimus
    rootimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rootimus wrote: »

You have a static Public IP?

Yes. My ISP assigns me a static IP address - it's one of my criteria when shopping for a provider. I also checked it when the bug hit me and confirmed that it hadn't changed since I signed up with my current provider earlier this year.
    Even on the internet, clear communication is important; it can be the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" and "helping your uncle jack off a horse"; the difference between "knowing your s***" and "knowing you're s***".
    Greybeards & Gals - Civilised, laid-back, mature gamers. Beards optional. |
  • Enteum
    Enteum
    ✭✭✭
    I have had this before. But not after the latest patch. I just dropped in to say that I would not say no to an authenticator on my phone.
    Asira Avalis - Mage
  • Tiyamel
    Tiyamel
    ✭✭✭
    Same had it twice now happen to me, once before patch, once after, would much rather have an authenticator/one time password system, very conscious of security of my account, seeing as everyone's account name is accessible easily in game i need a deeper level of protection please
    Guild Master of Lost Prophecies, small group of friends playing in Ebonheart Pact, recruitment only accessible through playing with us and making a good impression.
    Want to know more on how to increase forum stars and achievements, check my guide here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/62438/forum-badges-list
    Can't seem to level Werewolf or its abilities? check this:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/108490/werewolf-effective-levelling-of-skill-line-and-abilities-warning-spoilers-may-be-included
    If it helps then please Insightful/Agree/Awesome or even Lol me :)
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    They should release finger print authenticators :)

Put your name in, press your thumb against the authenticator, job done, your in!
    Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You obviously haven't read that Samsung's finger-print system was hacked in 4 days.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/samsung-galaxy-5-fingerprint-scanner-thwarted-by-hack/
    Edited by KerinKor on April 17, 2014 7:45AM
  • Tiyamel
    Tiyamel
    ✭✭✭
    KerinKor wrote: »
    You obviously haven't read that Samsung's finger-print system was hacked in 4 days.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/samsung-galaxy-5-fingerprint-scanner-thwarted-by-hack/

what about a standalone authenticator? similar to Square Enix security token?
    Guild Master of Lost Prophecies, small group of friends playing in Ebonheart Pact, recruitment only accessible through playing with us and making a good impression.
    Want to know more on how to increase forum stars and achievements, check my guide here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/62438/forum-badges-list
    Can't seem to level Werewolf or its abilities? check this:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/108490/werewolf-effective-levelling-of-skill-line-and-abilities-warning-spoilers-may-be-included
    If it helps then please Insightful/Agree/Awesome or even Lol me :)
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭

This was for a mobile phone... People have been using finger printing for ID purposes, even for access proposes.

This is just a crummy made representation of something when done correctly is pretty safe to use. AKA. The legal system.

And anyway, if you have the authentication linked to your game account and to unlock your game account you need your authenticator in your hand with your thumb print, it would be a little harder to hack I am guessing.

Anyway, I was only joking about using it. I would much prefer retinal scanners and blood tests.
    Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
  • Jynai
    Jynai
    I would definitely appreciate a mobile app authenticator, the same FF14 or SWTOR (sure many more do it). It worked really well.

Also, I would suggest introducing the authenticator with an in-game reward like the other games, something that's nice to have that will help those who are feeling too lazy to get it.
    I really like FF14's reward, it allows you to choose a location as a free teleport, so it doesn't cost you to teleport there, this can work for ESO by allowing free travel from anywhere to any shrine for free if you have the authenticator setup on your account.

Either way, reward or no reward, I would definitely appreciate a mobile app security authenticator.
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tiyamel wrote: »
    what about a standalone authenticator? similar to Square Enix security token?
    The technology used in most 'token' systems derives from software developed by RSA, that was broken some years ago when RSA got hacked and internal documents and source code was stolen. Vast numbers of keys used to secure buildings had to be replaced.

Edited by KerinKor on April 17, 2014 11:43AM
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mortelus wrote: »

This was for a mobile phone... People have been using finger printing for ID purposes, even for access proposes.
    I know full well how long finger-print systems have been used for security on laptops and other mass-market devices .. I was merely pointing out that the days when systems like that were largely tamper-proof have long gone as the S5's experience demonstrates.

• Ulvich
    Ulvich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There really needs to be better security on our accounts. I think authenticators would be a nice idea.
    Blizzard might hold the patent on that idea, though. I'm not sure.
    - Monster Slayer
    - Savior of Nirn
    - Adventurer Across a Decade
    - Hit Hard. Hit Fast. Hit Often
    - BETA Group: 85 b 9
  • vanderghast
    vanderghast
    ✭✭
    Biological based ids are a VERY BAD idea. If your password account is hacked, you can change your password... but you can't change your eye, or your finger.

Indeed, even if it appears that a system scans your eye, as example, behind the scene, it just sends bits, so, it is easier to just send those bits, without even scanning an eye. Once these bits are "stolen", you are done, with a biological based id.
    Edited by vanderghast on April 17, 2014 12:27PM
  • Graogrimm
    Graogrimm
    ✭✭
    And the funny thing ist, that it seems they can be hacked by bruteforce attacks, as a german player postet today. So there ist not much security with the access code anyway. ;)
  • scruffycavetroll
    scruffycavetroll
    ✭✭✭
    Thete wrote: »
    So I've just logged on and been told that I wasn't authorised because I'm logging on using a new IP address and they've sent an authorisation code to my e-mail.

Now, on the one hand, the code worked fine and it wasn't much of a delay to log in. But on the other hand, I haven't changed my IP address, I'm using the same computer I always have in the same location, on the same network. So I'm a little concerned.

Would it not just be easier to secure accounts with an authenticator?

i had the same thing happen when tried to play while i had ORIGIN running.

i'd like some kind of mobile authenticator to DL on my phone.
    Edited by scruffycavetroll on April 17, 2014 1:40PM
  • Jynai
    Jynai

lol, I don't think origin could have anything to do with it, but then again, blaming origin is never a mistake!
  • scruffycavetroll
    scruffycavetroll
    ✭✭✭
    Jynai wrote: »

lol, I don't think origin could have anything to do with it, but then again, blaming origin is never a mistake!

i've had origin running, tried to open steam and steam would tell me i wasn't connected to the internet. as soon as origin was closed, no problems.

might not be a direct cause, but indirectly, probably has something to do with it.

Edited by scruffycavetroll on April 17, 2014 1:45PM
  • Jynai
    Jynai
    @scruffycavetroll‌ - Could Origin be downloading something? Might have been messing with your net because of an update to a game you have.
  • scruffycavetroll
    scruffycavetroll
    ✭✭✭
    Jynai wrote: »
    @scruffycavetroll‌ - Could Origin be downloading something? Might have been messing with your net because of an update to a game you have.

nope. just me opening it and having it open. others have had issues like this too.

I might have played a game or two of Battlefield 4 prior, but everything except origin would've been closed for a minute or two.

i know, it sounds odd, but it happens. It's like sometimes Origin is telling every other app EFFF YOUUUU