The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

The geology of Northern Elsweyr is incompatible with TES Lore

• myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a war between Lorkhan and Akatosh, humans and mer, that reshaped the world surface heavily. How? Well, that was a time when the magick was flowing freely on Nirn. Magick can do all kinds of things. And that was a time before the time. It could last for millenia. No linear timeline existed.
    Edited by myskyrim26 on May 30, 2019 11:29PM
  • LennoxPoodle
    LennoxPoodle
    ✭✭✭
    In TES physics and metaphysics are very strongly connected. Essentially the mundus seems to be a realm of spirit and consciousness upon which physical laws are imposed, externally. The adherence to these laws appears to be imperfect at times. This kind of creates a situation were macroscopic events adhere to some principles of quantum mechanics with a bit of relativity here and there, whilst classical physics apply on a middle local level (a single observer perceives a coherent world around him).
    Namely these seem to be superposition, uncertainty and measurements (perception) affecting the system. On larger scales events appear to be physically blurry/to adhere to uncertainty (the german name for Heisenberg's uncertainty principle could also be translated with blurryness relation) especially after some time passed or from a far distance(more so than in our world, I really mean physically not only because of limited observation/messaging). The Nerevar probably isn't a definite being anymore after some time.
    Factoring into this is superposition. Events seem to be happening in different versions on the same place and time, only one being observed by a given local observer (measurement defines the system) whilst all being equally true/merging for a distant observer, especially during dragon breaks (but not only I guess). Given the spiritual nature of everything, and beings actually being spirits forced into physical rules (more voluntary in the case of bosmer), individual perception seems to shape reality even more than IRL. So maybe every being maybe has it's own individual altered version of the mundus, still affecting - and appearing in - that of others. This allows us all to be the only vestige and being right at the same time. The others are merely projections of themselves into your own Mundus, not being vestige here (this might also be helped by vestiges (higher soulshriven) being almost-daedra).
    All of this together with often non linear time easily allows to (and at the same time not to) squeeze a couple of million years into the ~6000 years of history and events to happen out of sequence.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    In TES physics and metaphysics are very strongly connected. Essentially the mundus seems to be a realm of spirit and consciousness upon which physical laws are imposed, externally. The adherence to these laws appears to be imperfect at times. This kind of creates a situation were macroscopic events adhere to some principles of quantum mechanics with a bit of relativity here and there, whilst classical physics apply on a middle local level (a single observer perceives a coherent world around him).
    Namely these seem to be superposition, uncertainty and measurements (perception) affecting the system. On larger scales events appear to be physically blurry/to adhere to uncertainty (the german name for Heisenberg's uncertainty principle could also be translated with blurryness relation) especially after some time passed or from a far distance(more so than in our world, I really mean physically not only because of limited observation/messaging). The Nerevar probably isn't a definite being anymore after some time.
    Factoring into this is superposition. Events seem to be happening in different versions on the same place and time, only one being observed by a given local observer (measurement defines the system) whilst all being equally true/merging for a distant observer, especially during dragon breaks (but not only I guess). Given the spiritual nature of everything, and beings actually being spirits forced into physical rules (more voluntary in the case of bosmer), individual perception seems to shape reality even more than IRL. So maybe every being maybe has it's own individual altered version of the mundus, still affecting - and appearing in - that of others. This allows us all to be the only vestige and being right at the same time. The others are merely projections of themselves into your own Mundus, not being vestige here (this might also be helped by vestiges (higher soulshriven) being almost-daedra).
    All of this together with often non linear time easily allows to (and at the same time not to) squeeze a couple of million years into the ~6000 years of history and events to happen out of sequence.

I don't understand quantum physics myself ;) but I do agree that the TES universe can be modelled in that way. That's all quite close to my own headcanon, particularly regarding multiple Vestiges.

I'm pretty sure that some of the intuitive lore surrounding quantum physics served as the inspiration for some bits of TESIII/TESIV Lore, especially that dealing with the Dawn Era. I always saw quantum vacuum as an inspiration for the primordial chaos of Sithis. More to the point, I think the dreams of the et'Ada can be seen as an attempt to realise, as well as explore all possible choices and all possible outcomes encompassed within existence.

So, I see no reason why these millions-of-years-old rock strata can't be viewed as physical manifestations of et'ada dreams that have somehow survived the Sundering. But, making up a story like that lacks any kind of authorisation, and I think that's the biggest part of the problem for me here.

I wish this generation of TES Lore writers could come out with something as sophisticated as that old TESIII / TESIV lore. It was fun, very interesting to read and quite challenging to rationalise. Instead we just have scenery designers gushing about "real-world analogues" and "grounding things in reality". OK, it's still challenging, but not in the right way. To me it lacks any of the authority provided by the published lore, and instead simply looks like some sort of mistake on the part of ZOS. It's something that has to be wished away, not something that can be built upon.
    PC EU
  • JadonSky
    JadonSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude its a game, can't we just enjoy how amazing the zone looks. I don't give a crap about the geology. Its a fantasy world and they can make it follow what ever rules they want.
  • Ihsan997
    Ihsan997
    Perhaps the origins of Nirn according to all of the popular pantheons are mistaken. This is probably one of the least likely scenarios, but it popped into my mind.

What if the Divines were truly powerful Aedric beings, but not as powerful as mortals on Nirn think they are? What if the creation of Mundus according to extant theologies in the TES universe are simply wrong?

It’s a long shot, but theoretically possible. Maybe Nirn did evolve over time like Earth, but with the addition of magic and powerful spirits. Let’s imagine that only and then stop for a second, going no further. Mortals would naturally fill in the gaps in their knowledge, seeing magic and monsters and all kinds of crazy stuff, and then inventing a young-Nirn creation story which didn’t include - couldn’t include - Nirn’s geological history prior to the evolution of intelligence and recorded history. As a real life example, I once read a theory that the ancient Egyptian gods were actually just effective and benevolent tribal leaders in pre-historic, perhaps pre-civilized Egypt whose biographies became embellished over generations. This, Horus wasn’t some eagle dude who fought demons; he was just an awesome Neolithic chief who shared his meat with everybody in the tribe.

That scenario could make for some interesting stories. Imagine Nirn in the future where magic just becomes technology, new theories of the expansion of Mundus develop, and attendance rates at the temple of the Divines drops. Along with all the negative aspects of modern society too...

...and then Mehrunes Dagon invades a second time and people believe in magic again lol

Anyway, just an additional idea, if a less likely one. Every time I interact with priests or talk to daedra and nature spirits in any game in the series, I just sit there and think: “what makes you believe that you’re understanding of the world is correct? What if Mundus is much older than you realize?”
  • Benzux
    Benzux
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ihsan997 wrote: »
    Perhaps the origins of Nirn according to all of the popular pantheons are mistaken. This is probably one of the least likely scenarios, but it popped into my mind.

What if the Divines were truly powerful Aedric beings, but not as powerful as mortals on Nirn think they are? What if the creation of Mundus according to extant theologies in the TES universe are simply wrong?

It’s a long shot, but theoretically possible. Maybe Nirn did evolve over time like Earth, but with the addition of magic and powerful spirits. Let’s imagine that only and then stop for a second, going no further. Mortals would naturally fill in the gaps in their knowledge, seeing magic and monsters and all kinds of crazy stuff, and then inventing a young-Nirn creation story which didn’t include - couldn’t include - Nirn’s geological history prior to the evolution of intelligence and recorded history. As a real life example, I once read a theory that the ancient Egyptian gods were actually just effective and benevolent tribal leaders in pre-historic, perhaps pre-civilized Egypt whose biographies became embellished over generations. This, Horus wasn’t some eagle dude who fought demons; he was just an awesome Neolithic chief who shared his meat with everybody in the tribe.

That scenario could make for some interesting stories. Imagine Nirn in the future where magic just becomes technology, new theories of the expansion of Mundus develop, and attendance rates at the temple of the Divines drops. Along with all the negative aspects of modern society too...

...and then Mehrunes Dagon invades a second time and people believe in magic again lol

Anyway, just an additional idea, if a less likely one. Every time I interact with priests or talk to daedra and nature spirits in any game in the series, I just sit there and think: “what makes you believe that you’re understanding of the world is correct? What if Mundus is much older than you realize?”

An interesting thought, definitely, that Nirn could be closer to our Earth than we think in that regard. But, if that were the case, it would kind of take away the "magic" that is the Elder Scrolls Lore. It is a fantasy world, after all, and IMHO, it's one of - if not the best fantasy world out there. Yes, even besting Tolkien. The Lore is incredibly deep, and at some points very obscure (more or less thanks to Kirkbride, but we don't talk about that skooma-addict star wars fanboy's work after he left the team), which makes it stand out amongst other, similar fantasy worlds.
    Still, a very interesting thought, worthy of an insightful :)
    BenzuxGamer - Xbox One since day 1 - CP 1500+
    Guildmaster of the Sacrificial Warriors, one of the oldest and most member-orientated Guilds on the Xbox One EU Megaserver
    "Casual" player from Finland who enjoys questing and dumb builds even after well over 1000 CP levels and 4000+ hours. A fan of Argonians, Goats and Elk. Also a massive Otaku (MAL Profile).
    "Following the meta makes you a sheep. That's why I'm a goat: I go in the opposite direction and make use of the things the sheep cannot." - Me, 2019
    Characters:
    Ben-Zu - Argonian MagDK DPS - EP (Main)
    Benzuth Telvanni - Dunmer MagSorc DPS - EP
    Haknir Head-Crusher - Nord DK Tank/Stam DPS - EP
    Delves-Deepest-Depths - Argonian StamBlade DPS - EP
    Raises-The-Dead - Argonian Mag Necromancer DPS7Healer - EP (Previously a Sorc healer, RIP)
    Bthuzdir Ynzavretz - Dwemer StamSorc DPS - AD (Dunmer in-game)
    Fafnir the Dragon - Nord Stam DK DPS - EP
    Bloodmage Thalnos - Breton MagBlade DPS - DC
    Finnis Wolfheart - Bosmer Stam Warden DPS - EP
    Gwyneth - Nord Warden Tank - EP
    Kud-Wazei Xeroicas - Argonian Mag Templar DPS/Tank - EP
    Barkskin Ben-Zhu - Argonian Warden Healer - EP (Alternate version of main)
    Xal-Vakka Xeroicas - Argonian DK Healer - EP
    Jaree-Shei the Wamasu - Argonian Sorcerer Tank - EP
    Gwennen Ereloth - Snow Elf Mag Warden DPS - EP (Dunmer in-game)
    Friedrich der Grosse - Imperial Nightblade Tank - EP
    Warfarin - Altmer Nightblade Healer - EP
  • Ihsan997
    Ihsan997
    Trust me, I’m with you there, Benzux. I love TES lore, and my suggestion would make Mundus mundane. I was just wondering out loud because the OP did make a good point - the geology of the zone either developed over eons, or was intelligently designed with a magic wand.

The latter makes one feel warm and fuzzy inside; the former forces one to adult too hard, and robs us of the magic.

Then again...doesn’t Vivec allude to knowing that he’s just a character in a game during his dialogue in TES: Morrowind? That would both rob us of the magic and magically hand wave away inconvenient truths. Kind of like the worst of both worlds.
  • LennoxPoodle
    LennoxPoodle
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the truth is somewhere in betwenn? Maybe the aedra didn't create the mundus, but heavily influenced and shaped it. It would still allow a lot of the stories to persist. Maybe there really was no time "before" (causally not chronologically, obviously) akatosh created it. Maybe the Divines really lost a majority of their power in mundus, a necessary step for the major transformations they performed. That might even explain the towers. As not as powerfull as we thought individuals they needed some machines to perform their tasks (and stabilize the results).
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I said the process can be likely in Nirn and in real world, daedric-aedric myths / RL Bible, that would do nothing but deepen the setting.

I fail to see to what extent this would make the universe "mundane". Magic energies are real in the ES universe, not in real world - this is the point, whatever is the exact history of divinity and world creation.
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • Benzux
    Benzux
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ihsan997 wrote: »
    Trust me, I’m with you there, Benzux. I love TES lore, and my suggestion would make Mundus mundane. I was just wondering out loud because the OP did make a good point - the geology of the zone either developed over eons, or was intelligently designed with a magic wand.

The latter makes one feel warm and fuzzy inside; the former forces one to adult too hard, and robs us of the magic.

Then again...doesn’t Vivec allude to knowing that he’s just a character in a game during his dialogue in TES: Morrowind? That would both rob us of the magic and magically hand wave away inconvenient truths. Kind of like the worst of both worlds.

I haven't played that much Morrowind, so I can't really say anything about his dialogue, but I think what you're referring to has something to do with the "tower" concept associated with CHIM, where upon reaching the state of CHIM, a mortal is able to perceive what is known as the "Tower" (different from the Towers erected by the various races of Mer that keep Mundus stable), and essentially realize that they don't actually exist, and everything is an illusion. Failing keep your individuality when facing the Tower, and failing to "accept" the Tower results in "Zero Sum", where you're Alt + F4'ed out of the universe for the rest of eternity.
    In any case, Kirkbride is most likely behind the dialogue, just like he is behind the whole ordeal with CHIM. It's crazy, makes no sense, but is interesting.
    BenzuxGamer - Xbox One since day 1 - CP 1500+
    Guildmaster of the Sacrificial Warriors, one of the oldest and most member-orientated Guilds on the Xbox One EU Megaserver
    "Casual" player from Finland who enjoys questing and dumb builds even after well over 1000 CP levels and 4000+ hours. A fan of Argonians, Goats and Elk. Also a massive Otaku (MAL Profile).
    "Following the meta makes you a sheep. That's why I'm a goat: I go in the opposite direction and make use of the things the sheep cannot." - Me, 2019
    Characters:
    Ben-Zu - Argonian MagDK DPS - EP (Main)
    Benzuth Telvanni - Dunmer MagSorc DPS - EP
    Haknir Head-Crusher - Nord DK Tank/Stam DPS - EP
    Delves-Deepest-Depths - Argonian StamBlade DPS - EP
    Raises-The-Dead - Argonian Mag Necromancer DPS7Healer - EP (Previously a Sorc healer, RIP)
    Bthuzdir Ynzavretz - Dwemer StamSorc DPS - AD (Dunmer in-game)
    Fafnir the Dragon - Nord Stam DK DPS - EP
    Bloodmage Thalnos - Breton MagBlade DPS - DC
    Finnis Wolfheart - Bosmer Stam Warden DPS - EP
    Gwyneth - Nord Warden Tank - EP
    Kud-Wazei Xeroicas - Argonian Mag Templar DPS/Tank - EP
    Barkskin Ben-Zhu - Argonian Warden Healer - EP (Alternate version of main)
    Xal-Vakka Xeroicas - Argonian DK Healer - EP
    Jaree-Shei the Wamasu - Argonian Sorcerer Tank - EP
    Gwennen Ereloth - Snow Elf Mag Warden DPS - EP (Dunmer in-game)
    Friedrich der Grosse - Imperial Nightblade Tank - EP
    Warfarin - Altmer Nightblade Healer - EP
  • slicksteezin
    slicksteezin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh my God. You're right. That's it - my immersion is officially broken. Unsubbing now. That was the final straw.
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You forget that everything you see in TES was created much the same way Arda and Middle Earth was created. By God's and lesser divine entities. They decided how things looked. In this universe, the creation of the world did not need to heed to any natural process. Not until after it was created did nature take over. Also the fact that the Towers have the ability to affect reality, as well as some other objects.

You're trying to apply our real world rules to a universe where gods actually exist, as well as magic. That's the issue.
    Edited by JJBoomer on December 16, 2019 3:40PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) If Nirn was indeed created by “gods” in the relatively recent past, they could design it to look however they wish. For more elaborate explanations, reference RL Creationism (seriously, there are books trying to explain how we see stars millions of lightyears distant, etc.)

2) Natural disasters may replicate the appearance of some of these geological features in a fraction of the time. Add magical disasters/interference and all bets are off.

3) Do we really know how old Nirn is or even how any of the geology and metaphysics work? We have many written accounts, but just like those on Earth, they may well be mistaken or even deliberate falsehoods for what purposes we can only guess.

The ability to alter the orbit of the moons is unfathomable and I imagine would bring about disaster. Are the moons really being manipulated or are they even moons as we know them? Perhaps they are entirely magic and thus don’t interact with Nirn in many ways which we would expect, such as tides. Then there are tales on Earth, of the sun “standing still,” etc. — what exactly did people see and why or is it entirely made up?

God may not play dice with the universe, but I wouldn’t put it past the Daedra and other forces! ;)
  • Tawniey
    Tawniey
    ✭✭✭
    So, I see no reason why these millions-of-years-old rock strata can't be viewed as physical manifestations of et'ada dreams that have somehow survived the Sundering. But, making up a story like that lacks any kind of authorisation, and I think that's the biggest part of the problem for me here.

As someone both very into science and storytelling, I can understand the want to apply detailed science to fiction. I definitely do that all the time. But, I think you have to keep a tight hold on what is not only the heart of storytelling but also the heart of science when you do: curiosity.

You're looking at the game world and questioning what you see because of what you think you know, rather than questioning what you think you know because of what you see. In the real world, we have to rethink our knowledge by examining other theories and doing research. In a fictional world, while we can also examine other theories, there's a limit to how much "official" material there can be. The authors will never be able to make something as detailed and boundless as our own surroundings are. There will not be an "official" answer to every question we can fathom. So you have to use your own imagination and share what you make instead, and since works like this are still in active creation, what you make may well shape the future of Tamriel.

I wish this generation of TES Lore writers could come out with something as sophisticated as that old TESIII / TESIV lore. It was fun, very interesting to read and quite challenging to rationalise. Instead we just have scenery designers gushing about "real-world analogues" and "grounding things in reality". OK, it's still challenging, but not in the right way. To me it lacks any of the authority provided by the published lore, and instead simply looks like some sort of mistake on the part of ZOS. It's something that has to be wished away, not something that can be built upon.

I think that comparing new lore writing to older lore writing is a bit of a flawed train of thought in general, especially when something is a team-creation and writers can be in flux, but I feel there are many things to consider in your frustration here. The first of which is that the closer to the moment of the stories inception you get, the more you can expect to see large-scale impactful decisions on the lore of the universe. When your story lives in such a richly detailed fantasy environment, at some point the decisions you make on how to progress become more confined. You're bound by the rules that were set down at the beginning, or you have to create a moment where things change.

It seems like a lot of people invested in the lore of the world put the creators in a catch-22. They want new information that's large and impactful— but that also never disagrees with anything that came before it. We can't really have it both ways, especially if we want the content creators to release things in any sort of timely fashion. If we want significant new information, we have to accept the ripples that come with it, and work with the creators in extrapolating on where those ripples collide instead of demanding that they never collided at all.

When it comes to creativity, "mistakes" have to be opportunities.

Nothing new was ever created without a need for it.

Finally, I don't want to just answer this with a "suspension of disbelief" hand wave, but I do feel the need to give a reminder that higher graphics standards require more realistic visual details. You as the player get to sift out what you feel is part of the medium and what is part of the story.

Just like I don't think anyone looked at old low-polygon models and said "according to this screenshot, the physics of Nirn limit the ability of physical objects to curve visibly", a visual storytelling medium will always struggle to convey fiction and fantasy. It's easier to rationalize mesh-limits as a media flaw, but realism can be information overload. You have to view real-world tie-ins to visual design like shooting a film on location. Maybe New Zealand isn't the perfect mirror of Middle Earth in LotR, and there might be some problems lore-wise if you examine too literally. But, it was the best they could do to create a visual representation of the world at the time.

Aaaand on a final and different note from the rest of my post: my favorite quantum-physics connection to TES lore is how Dwemer Tonal Architecture is basically just string theory, applied!

(Edited for grammar correction)
    Edited by Tawniey on January 10, 2020 5:46AM
    [ESO-Database Profile] | [Ridiculous TES Musings]
    [ESO Fanfic: Soulbound]
    (site being revamped, pardon for now)
    —✩—
    they/them
    PC-NA | Playing since 2015
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tawniey wrote: »

I think that comparing new lore writing to older lore writing is a bit of a flawed train of thought in general, especially when something is a team-creation and writers can be in flux, but I feel there are many things to consider in your frustration here. The first of which is that the closer to the moment of the stories inception you get, the more you can expect to see large-scale impactful decisions on the lore of the universe. When your story lives in such a richly detailed fantasy environment, at some point the decisions you make on how to progress become more confined. You're bound by the rules that were set down at the beginning, or you have to create a moment where things change.

You missed the most glaring problem with what you quoted, and that is that the past generation of lore writers were quite heavily into "real-world analogues", themselves. I think that people look back and don't see it.

On other notes... This is an old thread that has been resurrected a couple of times. :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Tawniey
    Tawniey
    ✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    You missed the most glaring problem with what you quoted, and that is that the past generation of lore writers were quite heavily into "real-world analogues", themselves. I think that people look back and don't see it.

On other notes... This is an old thread that has been resurrected a couple of times. :smile:

That is very true! I just wanted to offer an additional perspective that I think isn't often acknowledged.

As for the thread being old— this is my first venture into the "Lore" subforum and it was within the first 5-6 topics when I responded, having been last posted in within the month, so I don't feel it was really a necro-response. Sorry that you've seen it rise a few times though!
    [ESO-Database Profile] | [Ridiculous TES Musings]
    [ESO Fanfic: Soulbound]
    (site being revamped, pardon for now)
    —✩—
    they/them
    PC-NA | Playing since 2015
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magic did it.
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    People made similar complaints about ES V: Skyrim's biome.
    Lore is not dependable and has unreliable narrators - always has and always will.
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mages. Dragons. Gods. Daedra.
    The other 5000 options that exist on Nirn but don't exist on Earth.
    There are literally so many outside factors here that comparing it to Earth geology is extremely asinine.

You can talk about wind erosion patterns and the thousands of years it would take on Earth but you can't really tell me the effect that the other fantasy options would have on the development of a world.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are literally so many outside factors here that comparing it to Earth geology is extremely asinine.

That is kind of my point, if not my style.

Reading back through the thread a lot of posters seem to have missed the link at the beginning of my OP, and the bit where I quote the zone's designers saying that the geology of Elsweyr is intended to be an analogue of real world geology.

For those of you who are struggling with the meaning of the noun "analogue" my on-line dictionary says:
    analogue
    [ˈanəlɒɡ]

NOUN
    1. a person or thing seen as comparable to another.
    You can rest assured that I would not have made any comparison between Elsweyr geology and real world geology if the game's designers hadn't repeatedly and emphatically stated that they were meant to be comparable. They even go so far as to say it is all "grounded in reality."

But, that was last year's joke. The game has moved on, and so have I. Can't wait to see what the devs are going to poke me in the eye with this year :'(
    PC EU
  • Avariprivateer
    Avariprivateer
    ✭✭✭

That is kind of my point, if not my style.

Reading back through the thread a lot of posters seem to have missed the link at the beginning of my OP, and the bit where I quote the zone's designers saying that the geology of Elsweyr is intended to be an analogue of real world geology.

For those of you who are struggling with the meaning of the noun "analogue" my on-line dictionary says:
    analogue
    [ˈanəlɒɡ]

NOUN
    1. a person or thing seen as comparable to another.
    You can rest assured that I would not have made any comparison between Elsweyr geology and real world geology if the game's designers hadn't repeatedly and emphatically stated that they were meant to be comparable. They even go so far as to say it is all "grounded in reality."

But, that was last year's joke. The game has moved on, and so have I. Can't wait to see what the devs are going to poke me in the eye with this year :'(

Your problem could be solved by a short list of possible causes, mostly already stated.

The first argument would be the aforementioned factor of magic.
    The second would be the seemingly undervalued concept of the unreliable narrator.
    The third would be some exotic variation on relativity, which for me would be the most believable primary cause. Usually fantasy worlds also have some geographical features created by intelligent forces, for example in Middle earth the Misty Mountains were originally lifted by Melkor to prevent the elves from following Orome to Valinor and in Bionicle the island of Mata Nui functioned as a camouflage device for a giant bipedal biomechanical superstructure and Voya Nui was a chunk of the same machine that broke off after crashing planetside from space.

Back from my tangent, an altered version of relativity would seemingly solve your problem, in our own universe there are some places where, assuming a person could survive the conditions, one might see a billion years of cosmology unfold within a human lifetime.

Anyway, I'm not sure flogging people with semi-snarky uses of dictionary entries is an amazing idea, I do understand this is the internet where such practices are observed often religiously but I sense a looming dark age for our world if that continues for too long. Hypothetically speaking the geographical realism problems you suggest, which to be sure is valid question and observation on its own, may not actually be a problem.

Forgive my mentally detached response, I've had an unusual existence over the last several years, I am most times no longer myself.
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A theory it could be explained by the dragonbreaks. Each dragonbreak rewrites time. Takes it all back to the dawn so to speak and time is rewritten though lives and everything can be changed so can the landscape. Rimmen was the site where the Talos Walking Brass activation event happened so the landscape around it might have been altered by that. Since time gets re written areas might also change. Over and over again. So there has been several dragonbreaks. Three of them caused by walking Brass Tower the one that caused the dwemer to disapear. One by an elder scroll and another by those doing the Akatosh/Auriel separation thing.

Warp in the west is the most notable since it altered the fate of orcs throughout time and also altered the landscape of Cyrodiil. That is why even in this era they are treated the same way they were after the warp in the west. So even if the world is several thousand years old. Each dragonbreak takes it back to the dawn and rewrites history so to speak possibly making the word far older. That is how I see it. Say each timeline shard lasts for so long. Each of those shards are going back to the dawn. All together might add up the total of years onto the age of the world.
    Example world is 5000 years old time splits into 8 shards. Each going back to the dawn time is restored to normal and all shards as one. 8 times 5000 is 40000. So now the world would be 40000 years old and not 5000 years old. I'm guessing that is how it would work.
    So each time, a dragonbreak happens All the possible outcomes plus those that manipulate the dragonbreak for their benefit basically are those that control those dragonbreak shards. When timeline is merged back together. All their will basically became reality. The reason why the dwemer all ceased to exist but one was because of the dragonbreak many manipulated the reality to get rid of them. So to speak so when that was all put back together. All those outcomes happened. This is what wiped out the dwemer. Making it so they never existed at all even though they did. This can also explain the dwemer ruins and how they can last so long. How many ruins and advances they have even though clearly they didn't have time to build all that I doubt they can do all that in a few hundred years.

Age of the world is around 4933 that is counting the years all the way to the event of Skyrim not counting the middle dawn number could be a little off but. Then dragonbreaks if each dragonbreak causes time to split into 8 shards. Going by the five known dragonbreaks that would be 40 times reality has been altered. Now times that by the number of years and you get 197320 now times the number of years that was the middle dawn the longest dragonbreak you get 199095880. The number of years will be off as each dragonbreak could have smaller shards to it. So the time line will be far younger as is the world but if you do this type of math. With this example the world would be nineteen million nine hundred nine thousand, five thousand eight hundred and eighty years old. That would make Nirn far Older then it is. So it would be both young and old. Going by this theory. But still younger then earth if science about the age of the earth is correct. Plenty of time for the rock formations and everything to form. As the process likely works the same and the dragonbreak if my theory is correct can make it old enough for it to look like that. Even if the age of Nirn is officially much younger. It can still be older because of the dragonbreak phenomenon.

Time is likely different in elder scrolls then it is in real life. Future present and past might not be so separate. So all three are basically happening at once. Because of this an alternation of the present alters the past. This is what the dragonbreak does.Some areas can be protected like Morrowind. Because of the Three being able to do that other areas not so much. Even a localized dragonbreak can alter the past so much that the entire timeline changes. Like we can clearly see the with Daggerfall Covenant and the orcs. Eso is in the post all the other dragonbreaks revised reality that goes int other games of Red Guard, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and Blades. Arena and Daggerfall are the old reality is the pre warp in the west timeline much of those games content has been retconned out in some form or another because it was too d&d and the dragonbreak did that. Thus explaining Sheogoraths dialog about the first two game events and basically . treating it as if it already happened and we are not in that timeline bu the revised one.
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Where_Were_You_..._Dragon_Broke
    All the dragonbreaks go back to the same dawn period is what I'm getting the impression of going by the text of the book I linked above.

Edited by Thevampirenight on January 14, 2020 7:27AM
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    History (and mythology) start when there's someone interested enough in, and capable of, writing it down. Geology has usually been going a lot longer then that. So creation myths take place in a world already formed, because they're not about the physical world, but the society.

However Tamriel is known to have been created in 1994, already inhabited, and with some history already in place. I presume the developers writing the history could even have completed some of their work before the geology was in place.
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What, what! It breaks lore!!!!!!z9af9uzwo5ze.gif
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."