The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Pug healers.

• FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Totally depends on the dungeon

With a random normal I have no expectations. I might get a L10 Templar with 1 healing skill who’s levelling up and learning, I might get a more experienced healer who’s moved beyond simply healing and works on buffing the group and debuffing the enemies. I might get a pretender who doesn’t give a toss about the rest of the group. I’m only bothered by the last of these because they’re likely to make the entire dungeon experience less enjoyable. At the end of the day it’s a normal dungeon.

For a vet dungeon I want a healer who wants to be a healer, not a wannabe dd with a healing stick. I want them to heal, buff and debuff, because I know if they do it properly my group’s effective dps will be boosted by around 30% and I’m unlikely to die. I want them so I don’t have to waste slots on self-heals when they could be focused on doing more damage. I want a healer who thinks that healing is a very special skill that they want to devote that character and their energy to, because a good healer will make a hard dungeon much easier.

For a vet DLC dungeon I don’t just want that healer, I need them. I need them to know the content so they are geared and skilled to maximise their healing for that dungeon and the content so our group has the greatest possible chance of success.
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Normally heal in guild trials so know those involved & they are learning mechanics / know what to do, so usually heal + buffs/debuffs + resources and only minor dps if really needed.

But had to get a couple of pugs in recently for vAA run and my god it was annoying. Most guildmates were stacking nicely on first boss so could easily heal plus see & get to safe zone when called - but then it all fell apart as pugs ran all over the place, didn’t listen, died, then complained about everyone & rage quit.

If you run around too much, and especially if for some reason you stand behind me when the rest of the group is stacked in front - you are going to die. I will do my best but not risk everything if you are being stupid.

@Anotherone773 - I rarely agree with you, but there is always a first time! 😂
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tbh i created the post because lately like 3/4 last vDLC i pugged as dd, healers didnt drain, with tank using ransack, ending up in
    1. lack of resources.
    2. no major breach in groups of two mag dds.
    i mean, few times i slotted drain myself, but constantly asking healers to slot drain, and then getting the silence treatment is kinda harsh, i mean, i asked for drain, you said ok, but u put drain on boss in the beginning of fight then forgot about it for the next 3, at least tell me to run drain myself :/

#rant

on the bright side, i rage quited on dd vDLC pug and pugged few times on my hybrid frost/resto tank. since i wear symphony and drain things, when healer doesnt provide resources i ask if anybody is lacking them, and if they are i also orb. and surprisingly the groups i got were relatively ok! i mean, lately the main problem i had with pugs are healers and tanks (tanks quitting the moment dungeon starts/not knowing mechanics at all and letting adds that one shot dds run around) so i guess hopping on my tank was a the right choice....

thanks for taking seriously my rant poll everyone!!!
    Edited by zvavi on December 31, 2019 12:03PM
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Heals+resources+mechanics
    The Mechs one is important, not just for the healers. -cough-
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • Taemiru
    Taemiru
    ✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    tbh i created the post because lately like 3/4 last vDLC i pugged as dd, healers didnt drain, with tank using ransack, ending up in
    1. lack of resources.
    2. no major breach in groups of two mag dds.
    i mean, few times i slotted drain myself, but constantly asking healers to slot drain, and then getting the silence treatment is kinda harsh, i mean, i asked for drain, you said ok, but u put drain on boss in the beginning of fight then forgot about it for the next 3, at least tell me to run drain myself :/

I know it would be great if people who are going for veteran dungeons would pull at least some of their weight, but sadly there will always be players that are just leeching for loot and achivements without doing even minimum of what they should do.
    But man, save your mental health, build groups in zones/one of your guilds, once you start doing it you wont be able to do pug runs again, or do them only to laugh.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nanfoodle wrote: »
    What does it mean, Heals+resources+mechanics? Resources = buffs and mechanics = stuns and other debuffs as needed?

Mechanics that i saw healers not doing:
    doesn't stand on one of the rocks outside of the arena, he dies. doesnt bash that bull, two teammates die. doesnt go out of red, dies. Doesn't stand behind the boss properly so boss is jumping all over the arena. Doesn't avoid lasers properly, dies. Just stands in red, dies. Doesn't block/dodge incoming damage, dies. Doesn't purge. Doesn't go with team, and runs away the moment one add is focusing it, ditching team heals and not letting trash to die in aoe. Doesn't Break free from stuns. Doesn't bash mechanics that will one shot someone if not bashed. Doesn't stand inside of his own heals, aka is waaaaay far in the back.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just heal
    Edit: thing is, i was running a lot of dlc dungeons lately where healers didnt even know what elemental drain is... Wanna know what people think about healers should do.

I know what ele drain is and even orbs. Have them on all characters that I would queue solo as a healer. I rarely provide either to the group as it is often the case my dps as a healer is equal or greater than the groups. If I was not carrying them so much then maybe I would do a little more.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Expectations in pugs will just set you up for disappointment. I have no expectations for any role.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I do it all. Heal + group utility + DPS. I even switch my back bar to Frost and tank when needed (because I kick fake tanks 110% of the time).

Don't expect much of anything from PUG's. I usually get fake tanks and questers with four digit DPS who like standing in poison and fire like potatoes. In the rare instance that I'm not healer, I usually get a DNB "pure" healer.

This game has a lot of overland solo questers who are 100% useless in group content and either don't know it or don't care and expect others to carry them.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Hallothiel wrote: »
    Normally heal in guild trials so know those involved & they are learning mechanics / know what to do, so usually heal + buffs/debuffs + resources and only minor dps if really needed.

But had to get a couple of pugs in recently for vAA run and my god it was annoying. Most guildmates were stacking nicely on first boss so could easily heal plus see & get to safe zone when called - but then it all fell apart as pugs ran all over the place, didn’t listen, died, then complained about everyone & rage quit.

If you run around too much, and especially if for some reason you stand behind me when the rest of the group is stacked in front - you are going to die. I will do my best but not risk everything if you are being stupid.

@Anotherone773 - I rarely agree with you, but there is always a first time! 😂

I really dont understand why people do this??? They will stand about a meter behind me so i will move behind them so i can hit them with prayer and they will move behind me again. If i move behind them again, they move somewhere else.

I wonder if they are playing in first person and do this so they can "see" their entire group in first person instead of playing like a normal human in a group???
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One of the above+dmg
    Resources and damage is all that's needed, maybe an off-heal if its a particularly difficult fight.
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the above+dmg
    For most content I’ll take the fake healer. That’s how I go in on my Templar’s and still able to off heal and buff/debuff while doing more dps than the actual dps.
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    what do you expect of a healer in dungeon? I mean, resources, heals, mechanics, Dmg

Edit: thing is, i was running a lot of dlc dungeons lately where healers didnt even know what elemental drain is... Wanna know what people think about healers should do.

I don't pug that much anymore, but a good healer can do all you list :
    - Heal
    - Buff
    - Mec
    - Ressource
    - Damage (can do between 10 to 30k depending on which content I do)

Being a good healer is a complexe role in hard content despite what some people said.
    Many just stick to heal, it's a wast of potential.
    But if it's not a DLC HM with a progression groupe or newbie, you better run 3 DPS instead.
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    nothing theres no need in healers
  • Toon_Raider
    Toon_Raider
    ✭✭✭
    One of the above+dmg
    I go with my dps magplar, change to SPC and keep MS. then have offensive front bar, resto back bar with ALL healing skills.
    I heal vet dungeons no problem.

If it is an easy dungeon or more dps required i just stay on heal bar.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I almost always heal in PUGs. So from my own experience:
    * Im not chasing you around the dungeon to heal you. I will be by the tank, if your in the back 40 and not catching heals, to bad.
    * Im not burning my resource on you if you:
    A) cant at least attempt to get out of bad stuff.
    B) run ahead/pull everything because you are in a hurry/leet.
    C) fake tank so you can get insta queue. YOU make my job harder when you do this, why would i help you? are you insane?
    * I run buffs sometimes. Stand in front of me if you want it. Im not casting it 4 times because you dont know how other roles work and expect me to burn resources so we can form a pentagram on the boss. What is with people who insist on not stacking? We arent playing poker, get in a pile or at least a bloody cone, so i can heal and buff.
    * Dont expect me to DPS. I dont expect you to heal. If you want to burn your resources healing yourself or work heals into your rotation that is up to you. If i am bored i might toss some offensive stuff at something that is moving, or i might give them a disapproving stare. But im here to heal, not pick up your slack.
    * If you die, then:
    A) 5 out of 10 times it was your fault.
    B) 2 out of 10 times, i let you on purpose.
    C) 2 out of 10 times , a group mate drained all of my resources being a ...
    D) 1 out of 10 times , it was my ISP, my computer, my level of intoxication, my sleep deprivation, or generally because i wasnt paying attention.
    Regardless of the reason, eat a soul gem and stop crying.
    * I will help with certain mechanics as long as they dont interfere with or distract me from healing.
    * Im not rezing people. If i have to stop healing for 10-15 sec to rez, people will die. DPS rez first, then tank, then heals. Ill keep you alive while you rez, it was probably your fault, they died.

In closing, if i am going to heal, tank, dps, buff, debuff, and do mechanics, then what do i need you for? Arm candy? Loot donkey? Dont like that i wont do everything? Go ahead and kick me from group, i have 30 sec queues. i cant even clean out my inventory between dungeons.

BONUS! PRO Tip: If i dont move out of the red circles, then you dont need to either.

I take it as a personal challenge to keep everybody alive no matter how they play. I've even run back and forth between rooms to try and keep that on DPS alive that won't just run the adds to the next room. Sometimes I succeed sometimes I fail. I give it a go either way.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »
    I take it as a personal challenge to keep everybody alive no matter how they play. I've even run back and forth between rooms to try and keep that on DPS alive that won't just run the adds to the next room. Sometimes I succeed sometimes I fail. I give it a go either way.

Me too! Once it didn't work out so well though. Our pug was running nEH1 and when we got to the alit miniboss (Leafseether), my healer did as she was trained and stayed with the tank as he pulled it. He was tanking it fine, though he needed some heals, when I noticed there was no dps! My healer ran back into the next chamber and both dps were soundly getting their butts kicked by the nearby orc miniboss and his minions. My poor healer was trying to bounce back and forth between the two fights and ended up loosing all three pug-mates and having both minibosses on her. She killed them both but still felt badly for losing the rest of her pug. So when they all came back to life she activated healer rule #1 and said, "I'm the healer so it's my fault." She did then suggest that the pair of dds should probably take their cue from the tank on engaging bosses. ;)
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on January 1, 2020 12:26AM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Taemiru
    Taemiru
    ✭✭✭
    * I will help with certain mechanics as long as they dont interfere with or distract me from healing.
    * Im not rezing people. If i have to stop healing for 10-15 sec to rez, people will die. DPS rez first, then tank, then heals. Ill keep you alive while you rez, it was probably your fault, they died.

In closing, if i am going to heal, tank, dps, buff, debuff, and do mechanics, then what do i need you for? Arm candy? Loot donkey? Dont like that i wont do everything? Go ahead and kick me from group, i have 30 sec queues. i cant even clean out my inventory between dungeons.

BONUS! PRO Tip: If i dont move out of the red circles, then you dont need to either.

So... you run around and basically spam healing springs and sometimes breath of life?
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    + Damage of course
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • naturebased
    naturebased
    ✭✭✭
    Heals+resources+Buffs is optimal
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    kargen27 wrote: »
    * Im not chasing you around the dungeon to heal you. I will be by the tank, if your in the back 40 and not catching heals, to bad.
    * Im not burning my resource on you if you:
    A) cant at least attempt to get out of bad stuff.
    B) run ahead/pull everything because you are in a hurry/leet.
    C) fake tank so you can get insta queue. YOU make my job harder when you do this, why would i help you? are you insane?
    * I run buffs sometimes. Stand in front of me if you want it. Im not casting it 4 times because you dont know how other roles work and expect me to burn resources so we can form a pentagram on the boss. What is with people who insist on not stacking? We arent playing poker, get in a pile or at least a bloody cone, so i can heal and buff.
    * Dont expect me to DPS. I dont expect you to heal. If you want to burn your resources healing yourself or work heals into your rotation that is up to you. If i am bored i might toss some offensive stuff at something that is moving, or i might give them a disapproving stare. But im here to heal, not pick up your slack.
    * If you die, then:
    A) 5 out of 10 times it was your fault.
    B) 2 out of 10 times, i let you on purpose.
    C) 2 out of 10 times , a group mate drained all of my resources being a ...
    D) 1 out of 10 times , it was my ISP, my computer, my level of intoxication, my sleep deprivation, or generally because i wasnt paying attention.
    Regardless of the reason, eat a soul gem and stop crying.

Rewarding bad behavior does not promote good behavior.
    Taemiru wrote: »

So... you run around and basically spam healing springs and sometimes breath of life?
    Yes! That is exactly what i said except in 437 more words. *eye roll*