The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Pug healers.

zvavi
zvavi
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
what do you expect of a healer in dungeon? I mean, resources, heals, mechanics, Dmg

Edit: thing is, i was running a lot of dlc dungeons lately where healers didnt even know what elemental drain is... Wanna know what people think about healers should do.
Edited by zvavi on December 31, 2019 12:31AM

Pug healers. 131 votes

Just heal
12%
NanfoodleidkWingfalcasternub18_ESOdem0n1kphermitgbKnightpantherTyharJierdanitccfeelingZabagadvaleriiyaStarlockvalusthecateaterkydot12Inspiral808 16 votes
Heal+resources
11%
SkworStormWylfTechnoDreamVisionSomewhereBobby_V_Rockitmax_onlyzacvanmillusioukRABIDxWOLVERINETelvanniWizardSchokoladeApostateHoboCirantilleIsskanderCrashTest 15 votes
Heals+mechanics
9%
KhenarthiGrumpyDucklingFischblutDBZVelenaKonstant_Tel_NecrisNyassaVx48rphNairinhebmnobleLoneStar2911YandereGirlfriendDragonreduxseira_san 13 votes
Heals+resources+mechanics
44%
ola.wilhelmssonb16_ESOeovogtb16_ESOLoves_guarsKhrogoCloudtraderGravordWldKardeAnhedonieParasaurolophusSnowZeniaCloudlessTheHsNbuldezirRatzkifalheavenelvameekmikoAcadianPaladinSilverIce586lackzeu5KurtAngle2 58 votes
One of the above+dmg
6%
Taleof2CitiesToon_RaiderRunefangWoppaBoemBaiterOfZergsPaulsthadjarvisakdave0dragonflame 9 votes
Other
15%
dcam86b14_ESOLelldoranoHuyenAlnilamEkargen27Strider__RoshinDankstaKadoinGnortranermaraRoyajiFlipsSaccariusAnotherone773oxygen_thiefIskiabAznarbFierceSamBlueMoonRisingWheresthetea11Ascarl 20 votes
  • Unseelie
    Unseelie
    ✭✭✭✭
    I generally prefer in PUGs that healers focus on healing as if I have build my character right that should be all I need unless things go sideways.
    If I am going in with a group I know, the expectations may change.
  • Lelldorano
    Lelldorano
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    It really depends on the content. A lot of vet dungeons can be done without a healer and it is easier and faster. I will run a proper healing build for the harder DLC dungeons and do heals/resources with a bit of damage.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    If it's through group finder? I'm hoping the guy lied and is actually a DPS.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heal+resources
    As a person who only tanks or heals:

On the rare occasion I pug, then as a healer I’m ready to solo the whole thing. I will change my gear after the first fight depending on the group.

We have great dps but no tank? heals + resources. That fake tank can at least get the mechanics or stay dead.

We have great tank but low dps? Dps + Resources. If you can’t dps the least you can do is run around hitting X and rezzing.

We have a group that is properly made up? Heals + resources + mechanics. Mostly throw down your heals, send off your dots, top up team resources rinse and repeat.

Every healer in every group make up should be prepared to help fill all 3 bars. Minimum requirement is a bubble. Just the bubble. If you have hots, oh snip heals, cleanses, debuffs et al, then you’re a master.
    Edited by max_only on December 31, 2019 1:21AM
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My elf is actually somewhat specialized as a pug healer so my input is from the provider, not the customer perspective. I enjoy healing pugs because you just never know what you're going to get and, when pugging, my whole goal is to flex my healer's ability to adapt and respond. Fake tank? She can buff up and sweep the boss all day. Low dps? She can put out reasonable dps if not focused on heals/buffs/resources. Group in trouble? She's got plenty of heals. All going well and group is well-skilled with positional discipline? 100% uptime on combat prayer, HoTs, boss debuffs, resource assistance.

On rare occasion, I've even had her swap out a healing spell for a ranged taunt just to keep the boss from chasing headless chickens all over.

The key for me is, like @max_only said above, she only pugs dungeons that she can solo. That makes things fun and low stress no matter what she gets for a group.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on December 31, 2019 1:30AM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Tsar_Gekkou
    Tsar_Gekkou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a healer main and I do everything except big damage. I mostly heal vet trials above craglorns so my mindset is mostly just healing, orbs, and getting interrupts with crushing shock. But when I notice the group damage is terrible, I'll also weave crushing shock while keeping blockade up, which tends to do more damage than a lot of pug dps.
    Xbox NA healer main
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+3 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA HM | vRG HM |
    Flawless Conqueror | Spirit Slayer | Dro-mA'thra Destroyer | Tick-Tock-Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Planesbreaker |
  • akdave0
    akdave0
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of the above+dmg
    Unless I am running vet or trials, I wont run debuffs like elemental drain. Mostly, because I am running constant buffs. Also, throwing down AOE support dps like shards and blockade.
    Hybrid high elf temp.
    Jovulds
    Sanctuary
    Mothers Inferno
    Masters Resto

I can keep stands-in-red alive with only using one bar healz.
  • x48rph
    x48rph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heals+mechanics
    As long as the healer actually heals and does any required mechanics when needed, I'm happy. If they also buff/debuff/give resources/dps along with it then I count that as a bonus. Aka: Do your job first!
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Synergy with dps is best.
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Heal first and whatever they can manage beyond that. I don't want them running out of resources trying to buff and then have nothing when an Oh $#!+ moment hits.
    For healers just learning I would suggest try adding buffs to the rotation when they are comfortable with just healing. After comfortable doing that begin working debuffs in while keeping buffs up and having the resources remaining to heal as needed. When I PuG with my healer I have a set-up I can switch to and provide DPS if needed. DPS shouldn't be any kind of real priority though for a healer. DPS most times should be an afterthought.

Some players I run with were saying runs go quicker with three DPS. When I healed for them that agreed that the run went faster and smoother. I can keep buffs up the entire time, debuff most the time and they can trust me to keep them healed so they can outfit for pure DPS. There is some vet content where three DPS works better but most group benefit from having a healer along.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • RefLiberty
    RefLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I'm concern, they need to heal although in Normal there is a plenty of room to do damage.

So buffs/debuffs and Heal.

I play healer to relax from playing DPS and I don't intend to dps on normal. Just the tings said above.

Tank must be alive at all time, and dps, if not standing in red circles, if they are muppets and not moving from AOE, they can die occasionally just to get their [snip] straight.

For trials, different story, maximum engagement in both segments should be put, as expected, but for normals, nope.

[Edit for minor profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_Bill on January 1, 2020 10:16PM
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Heal+resources
    I just wanna get heals. Pls.

Dont care about healer dps, heal me so i can dps in comfort.

But it never happens now, does it...
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Heals, resources, mechanics and damage.

If you’re running normal dungeons or easy vets I don’t expect much. If you’re doing DLC vets healing plus resources is the minimum.
    Edited by Iskiab on December 31, 2019 1:58AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just heal
    If getting a healer via random GF the only thing we should expect. If someone wants them to do more then need to find a healer that meets their requirements before hand.
  • Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heal > Mechanichs >>>>>>>> Resources, no dmg needed.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    As I'm usually the PUG healer, it depends on the group. If everyone is on the ball and heals are not needed, then I buff/DPS. If things are dicey then I focus on healing more and buffing if buffing will actually help. If not, heals/DPS.

The fun of the group finder is that you never know what you will get.
    The Moot Councillor
  • PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As someone who heals, pugs are a test.

Are you dying to trash mobs before we get through the first hallway? I'll focus on healing.
    Are you taking too long to kill trash mobs but maybe not dying as fast? I'll focus on DPS and throw a heal when it looks like you're about to bite it.

Are you dumb and trying to ignore mechanics on an easy boss? I'll DPS and let you die.
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just heal
    What does it mean, Heals+resources+mechanics? Resources = buffs and mechanics = stuns and other debuffs as needed?
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just heal
    I don't expect anything from the healer in DLC PUG , some heal will be good but not a must , because I run my all around PUG build ...

If the healer is good , I press the HM button .
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My vote is based on what i deliver when running my Healer on pugs.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    I almost always heal in PUGs. So from my own experience:
    * Im not chasing you around the dungeon to heal you. I will be by the tank, if your in the back 40 and not catching heals, to bad.
    * Im not burning my resource on you if you:
    A) cant at least attempt to get out of bad stuff.
    B) run ahead/pull everything because you are in a hurry/leet.
    C) fake tank so you can get insta queue. YOU make my job harder when you do this, why would i help you? are you insane?
    * I run buffs sometimes. Stand in front of me if you want it. Im not casting it 4 times because you dont know how other roles work and expect me to burn resources so we can form a pentagram on the boss. What is with people who insist on not stacking? We arent playing poker, get in a pile or at least a bloody cone, so i can heal and buff.
    * Dont expect me to DPS. I dont expect you to heal. If you want to burn your resources healing yourself or work heals into your rotation that is up to you. If i am bored i might toss some offensive stuff at something that is moving, or i might give them a disapproving stare. But im here to heal, not pick up your slack.
    * If you die, then:
    A) 5 out of 10 times it was your fault.
    B) 2 out of 10 times, i let you on purpose.
    C) 2 out of 10 times , a group mate drained all of my resources being a ...
    D) 1 out of 10 times , it was my ISP, my computer, my level of intoxication, my sleep deprivation, or generally because i wasnt paying attention.
    Regardless of the reason, eat a soul gem and stop crying.
    * I will help with certain mechanics as long as they dont interfere with or distract me from healing.
    * Im not rezing people. If i have to stop healing for 10-15 sec to rez, people will die. DPS rez first, then tank, then heals. Ill keep you alive while you rez, it was probably your fault, they died.

In closing, if i am going to heal, tank, dps, buff, debuff, and do mechanics, then what do i need you for? Arm candy? Loot donkey? Dont like that i wont do everything? Go ahead and kick me from group, i have 30 sec queues. i cant even clean out my inventory between dungeons.

BONUS! PRO Tip: If i dont move out of the red circles, then you dont need to either.
    Edited by Anotherone773 on December 31, 2019 6:37AM
  • siddique
    siddique
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In dungeons I prefer them to be a dps instead. Who needs heals?
    "Knee-jerk reactionist."
    Lost Depths, 2015-2022.
  • dcam86b14_ESO
    dcam86b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Whatever TF they want lol

This community has put healers down so bad, that most of us don't give two F's what happens in a pug group. Most of the time I as a healer am tanking and out dps'n most of the players I meet in dungeons.

• Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    siddique wrote: »
    In dungeons I prefer them to be a dps instead. Who needs heals?

Same here. Every dungeon can be done without healer. And its easier and faster if theres 3rd dps instead. I've done most of dlc speed and no death runs with tank and 3 dps. Healer buffs simply dont matter as much as 3rd dps is. And there's not much to heal if you play the mechanics or skip it entirely in some cases due to high dps.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heals and resources are the focus of the role, but once you have that down, I think it’s a good idea to work on some damage abilities both to help if DPS is struggling and in the case of experienced groups in easier dungeons where heals aren’t really needed. Right now I have my templar healer in Olorime + Burning Spellweave and am working on the DPS but carry several additional healer sets with me in case that is needed.
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I can do most things on my own as tank. So the healer can adjust to the rest of the group as they like.
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    Stand there looking cute while I tank, heal, and do damage. Bonus points if they cheer me on!
  • Isskander
    Isskander
    ✭✭
    Heal+resources
    Besides standard heal that most class can manage by theirself maybe exept some situations in vet dungeons i would realy wish for heals to put synergies to pt ... most common that i faced is lacks of this thou :(
    Other things are secondary
  • Ascarl
    Ascarl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    If I an the tank in a PUG I mostly expect resources from the healer given the fact that my tank build has enough self heal capability, my DDs usually as well.
    But if your drained from resources dungeon live becomes sour. Bubbles are my bare minimum in expectation.
  • Taemiru
    Taemiru
    ✭✭✭
    In the perfect scenario i guess it would be healing and some resources, knowlege of mechanics is good but necessary because i will never hope to complete no death achivements (or some hardmodes) with pug anyway.