The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Banning Addons?

• theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashtaris wrote: »
    Like I posted on another thread, if ZOS completely removed add-ons without providing considerable UI improvements to replace those add-ons, the mass exodus of people leaving from the PC side would probably kill the game and a bunch of people at ZOS would be looking for new jobs. I don’t see it happening.

I agree. Because of advancing age, poor eyesight, hand-eye coordination issues, and such the game would no longer be playable for me without add-ons. The frustration would just not be wort it.

I do not see that happening ether. There will certainly be a period of disruption as most add-ons will need to be rewritten for the new API but that happens with just about every update too. I can weather that storm. However, just in case ZOS has been taken over by Sheogorath I have taken my Plus account off auto renew. We shall see.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Just to put some of these rumors to bed:

1. We are not banning addons in the next patch.
    2. The “API guy” did not die.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Um, did anyone else see them close this thread....and now it's open again?

Am I trippin?
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kel wrote: »
    Um, did anyone else see them close this thread....and now it's open again?

Am I trippin?

That happens sometimes when they are reviewing a thread that's gotten heated to allow moderator work on it, or I guess in this case to put in an official response.
  • Hamish999
    Hamish999
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for taking timeout of your Sunday to clarify and dismiss these silly rumours Gina :)
    Edited by Hamish999 on December 29, 2019 2:06PM
    PC-EU
    Do'Zahra - Khajiit - StamDK - AD
    Narese Telvanni - Dunmer - Petsorc - EP
    Anastasie Chastain - Breton - Magplar - DC
    Gashnakh the Lusty - Orc - Stamsorc - AD
    Stands-In-Stoopid - Argonian - Warden Tank - AD
    Talia al-Morwha - Redguard - Stamden - AD
    Makes-Fier-Wrong - Argonian - Stamblade - AD
    Busty-Argonian-Maid - Argonian - Templar Healer - AD
    Alaru Telvanni - Dunmer - Stamplar - AD
    Ko'Raehsi - Khajiit - Magsorc - AD
    Torhild Rock-Chucker - Nord - StamDK - AD
    Drusilla Larouche - Breton - MagDK - AD
    Ko'Khanni - Khajiit - Magden - AD
    Ilithyia Ectorius - Imperial - DK Tank -AD

Keyboard and mouse FTW!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear the "API guy" (or team) is doing well. I hope they got a chuckle out of that bit of nonsense!
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

So it's confirmed then. Addons banned after the next patch.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll sit back and wait for the rumor-mongers, nit-pickers and conspiracy theorists to read Gina's comments and draw from them first that she didn't say they weren't planning on banning addons, merely that it wouldn't be in the next patch, and second that she didn't say that the "API guy" was well and still with the company, just that he wasn't dead :wink: !
  • Rykoth
    Rykoth
    ✭✭✭✭

.... why would anyone think this??????
    Gorthal gro-Gunthak, Chieftain of Mor'Grumaar
    Sigrun Elkhorn, Nordic Warrior and Skald

Mor'Grumaar - Orcish Stronghold Roleplay
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thx for this. I am surprised so many fell for such an obvious false rumor.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    I'll sit back and wait for the rumor-mongers, nit-pickers and conspiracy theorists to read Gina's comments and draw from them first that she didn't say they weren't planning on banning addons, merely that it wouldn't be in the next patch, and second that she didn't say that the "API guy" was well and still with the company, just that he wasn't dead :wink: !

Of course. Loopholes are critical to the survival of these sorts of rumors.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • MishMash
    MishMash
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they ban the use of "all" add-ons, it would be frustrating for me. I really only require one add-on and it is the Greymind Quickslot bar. I did try for a loooooooong time to get used to the in-game quickslot wheel, but it was an awful experience lol.
    PC NA DC 4eva! I try my very best. If it is not good enough for you too bad! Playing off and on since April 2014 CP2009.
  • Katheriah
    Katheriah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    YAY! THE API GUY LIVES! <3

Are you feeding the API guy enough snacks to keep him happy?
  • Urigall
    Urigall
    ✭✭✭
    Noticed Gina's Twitter a/c is linked in her post so had a butcher's. Saw a pic of a Scooby WRX with quad tailpipes.

Bet it sounds absolutely gorgeous.

Sorry for the petrolhead diversionary.

And thanks for the clarification.
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

And PC master race thrives! Mhmm gonna turn on my Code's Combat Alerts and click dodge when it tells me to! B)
  • Ri_Khan
    Ri_Khan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was actually hoping there was some truth to this. There's definitely some add-ons that should be banned.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ri_Khan wrote: »
    I was actually hoping there was some truth to this. There's definitely some add-ons that should be banned.

Then maybe you could do the sensible thing and report those addons directly to ZOS, explaining why you think ZOS should no longer allow those functions to be accessible in the API?

...or you could hope in vain for a blanket ban on all add-ons like trying to hit a gnat with a sledgehammer.
  • DBZVelena
    DBZVelena
    ✭✭✭✭✭

THANK YOU.
    What are Natch Potes? Can you eat those?
    I believe in Genie-Gina.
  • Ri_Khan
    Ri_Khan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then maybe you could do the sensible thing and report those addons directly to ZOS, explaining why you think ZOS should no longer allow those functions to be accessible in the API?

I did. Reported in-game and started a thread about it. Nothing happened.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Im sorry but we cannot take your word for it. We are going to need some verification. Please submit a short video of the "API Guy" holding one of the following newspapers with today's date while asking " Do you know how long i have been looking for you?"
    1. Stormhold Sentinel
    2. Elden Root Enquirer
    3. Mourninghold Times
    4. Alinor Aristocrat

In addition, we are going need "API Guy" to submit a selfie with Vivec dressed in Cadwell's armor while riding a Pure White Snow Indrik playing a Clockwork flute and Vivec riding a Onyx Indrik while playing a Clockwork harp.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One wonders who starts these baseless rumors, and why.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭

PC wins again. *fist pumps*
  • Ri_Khan
    Ri_Khan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    One wonders who starts these baseless rumors, and why.

Probably a salty console player.
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thank god an official response. For the record I am against a blanket ban on addons. Thats like the whole vape thing. 9 die and suddenly all vape products are banned when something else is allowed and causes far worse problems.

Now, I would be okay with ZOS vetting addons. But that would take resources I'm sure they don't have.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ri_Khan wrote: »

I did. Reported in-game and started a thread about it. Nothing happened.

So ZOS disagrees with you and decided that they are okay with this being in their game?

Seems reasonable.

I'm glad players get little say to be quite honest.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    JJBoomer wrote: »
    thank god an official response. For the record I am against a blanket ban on addons. Thats like the whole vape thing. 9 die and suddenly all vape products are banned when something else is allowed and causes far worse problems.

Now, I would be okay with ZOS vetting addons. But that would take resources I'm sure they don't have.

Add-ons have been vetted before, and they will again. What you say you're "okay with" is already happening.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Juhasow wrote: »
    I was under the impression there wont be crossplay? And crossplay would mean even more pressure on the mega server architecture in terms of performance no?

The bigger question is maybe - assuming performance will be fixed - if getting ridd of add ons would be worth it if we get crossplay in return...and i do personally think yes...

Crossplay - being able to play with everybody would be fantastic and zos has shown a willingness to incorporate more tools or updates to improve quality of life (Which they certainly should do more of especially for console, like sorting and searching for things etc.)

They've said numerous times including this year they're not planning crossplay for ESO.

They also said no new class about 2 or 3 month before warden reveal and no they certainly didnt create the warden from scratch in this time
    Last year in a eso live in february/march they said they were working on that version of the necro for about a year so we can guess its the same for the warden

All that to say they did sometime said it wont happen up to the reveal of someting
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    WiseSky wrote: »
    If I have to craft on my 16 chars.... with no addons I rather play Day Of Dragons

If console player can do it so can you
  • Unseelie
    Unseelie
    ✭✭✭✭
    People are so eager to accept any negative rumor out there without even waiting for any evidence.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    WiseSky wrote: »
    If I have to craft on my 16 chars.... with no addons I rather play Day Of Dragons

If console player can do it so can you

I'm a PC player and still do it manually, despite other addons being present on my system.
This discussion has been closed.