The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Banning Addons?

mustangmorgan31
mustangmorgan31
✭✭✭✭
There is a rumor floating about that they are banning addons next patch? Are people just trolling or is this true? Because I think I would quit. The base UI looks so generic.
  • MaleAmazon
    MaleAmazon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would they implement something and then ban it?

That would make no sense.

Of course that hasn´t stopped them before, so... but no. Proof please. No rumours.
  • mustangmorgan31
    mustangmorgan31
    ✭✭✭✭
    MaleAmazon wrote: »
    Why would they implement something and then ban it?

That would make no sense.

Of course that hasn´t stopped them before, so... but no. Proof please. No rumours.

Yes I want proof too. I seen people say it in one of my guilds and I wanted to know if anyone has heard anything concrete.
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps a ban on addon's is a step to let crossover play happen between console and PC.

Maybe enough players have left that Zos deems it wise to allow cross platform play.

All just rumor and theory, of course.
  • DarkPicture
    DarkPicture
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    source? XD
  • ryh
    ryh
    ✭✭✭
    Browart wrote: »
    source? XD

Was on the last ZOS stream on Twitch.
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ryh wrote: »
    source? XD

Was it a ZOS employee who said it?
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    source? XD

If they want to decimate the playerbase even more, they will. But with ZoS you never know.
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vestahls wrote: »
    source? XD

Was it a ZOS employee who said it?

i for one hope it was, addons should never have been allowed in eso.
    they open the door to cheats and all kinds of stuff that causes problems.
    i hope eso gets rid of them completely.
    not saying that to anger anyone, just giving honest feedback and honest opinion.
  • haelene
    haelene
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't make sense that they would ban them, especially things like UI adjustments. Maybe they were talking about specific kinds of addons?

Honestly, until I see proof, I don't believe this. Seems like something people are making up or have taken out of context to stir up drama.
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope not, I need my addons, who wants to press M to view mini map when its right there on screen ?
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont see why they would remove a feature that is widely used and has been since launch.
    The "API guy died/retired" story does not fly in my book, you dont trash a major module 5+ years into rollout and 10+ years into active development because 1 guy in a company of 400 is no longer there to maintain it, you hire or reallocate.

Then again, ZOS has a history of corporate missmanagement...
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most may not work and will need to be updated after the big patch requiring us to download the new client. Add-on developers will have a heads up. Otherwise they would lose a significant part of the player base, particularly those of us who have disabilities.
  • rotaugen454
    rotaugen454
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people easily buy into rumors. I don’t.
    "Get off my lawn!"
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *Checks calendar... nope, not April 1* :neutral:

This is sounding like a conspiracy theory to me. They have been adding to the API almost every update (if not every update) for years. If anything, they should be negotiating with Sony and Microsoft to bring the API to consoles.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised. Sounds plausible.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • mustangmorgan31
    mustangmorgan31
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno You guys aren't going to ban addons in the next update are you? I would like a solid answer. Thanks
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sounds more like trolling than anything, I mean if they did ban add-ons we would lose
    • A game UI which isn't backmoded arse
    • Minimap
    • buff/debuff timers
    • chat functions which are useful [copy/paste messages, account wide chat colours, ect]
    • tools that allow creation of things in houses[secret doors, light switches, animated things..and so on, a.k.a. EHT]
    • the ability to find skyshards, lorebooks and psijic rifts without it being aneurysm educing

which are all vital functions that add-ons fill in....meaning if zos was to ban add-ons they would need to supply these functions with the base game...else...well the playerbase is going to crash even further down
  • DBZVelena
    DBZVelena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless its publicly posted on the website, it's not true.
    Not only is the addon community here on ESO pretty big, but it's also providing features that ZoS cant spend resources on.

What i think happened is a case of chain rumor. Where the original thing got lost as people added more elaborate things to it.

Only thing that does happen is OCCASIONALLY, A(1) addon gets banned for breaking the cheating rules.
    Or
    A player might get silenced because of an addons over-use of the chatbox
    What are Natch Potes? Can you eat those?
    I believe in Genie-Gina.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They'll lose a lot, I'd say over 50% of their PC player base, if they ban addons.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course. They will ban addons and close the game on PS4 and Xbox next update. Also no skill will be nerfed by 30+%.

Sure thing.
  • mustangmorgan31
    mustangmorgan31
    ✭✭✭✭
    They'll lose a lot, I'd say over 50% of their PC player base, if they ban addons.

agreed. Including me.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_GinaBruno You guys aren't going to ban addons in the next update are you? I would like a solid answer. Thanks

I expect no answer in this thread. ZOS does not typically respond to queries where we will eventually find out the answer.

1. If it is true, or even something being considered, they will eventually announce it and there will be no need to respond.
    2. If it is not true, and something they will never do, it is just another of many hair-brained rumors that will not come to be, which will be evident, in time.

Personally, I think it is a hair-brained rumor that will never come to pass, but what do I know.
    :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    the reason consoles are dying...is cuz no addons. :trollface:
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they ban add ons they need to update the UI. Small things like mini map, even if it was optional. ESO's UI it's just terrible. WoW did a great job of adding the best add ons to the default UI.
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Console is not doing well because they are playing on a console. Take away add ons and put them in the same pool as PC players and the quality of game play will go down. Also the hardware is not even close to PC. PC Master race is not just a saying, it's a reality.
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is highly unlikely as it would kill their game, but it does sound like a decision they would make.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As challenging as PVP is right now due to lag, etc. Without the UI addons like lua+ or advanced UI, PVP would be nearly unplayable. And no, I'm not talking about Miat's addon that did get banned 6 months ago. ESO's basic game UI is simply so bad that it needs all the help it can get. Without addons, they might as well as switch Cryodiil to PvE since almost all the PVPers would have moved on to other games.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nanfoodle wrote: »

Console is not doing well because they are playing on a console. Take away add ons and put them in the same pool as PC players and the quality of game play will go down. Also the hardware is not even close to PC. PC Master race is not just a saying, it's a reality.

Well, I tend to disagree. My experience on xb1 has been consistent, with very good graphics and very few problems with lag, disconnects, login issues etc. While PC's may have more powerful hardware, consoles do just fine. Fact is, few AAA developers will ignore consoles for for PC exclusives going forward. The "PC Master race" bs needs to stop.
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • DarkPicture
    DarkPicture
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well if it was on twitch stream? What time it was because we can check it easily.
    Edited by DarkPicture on December 28, 2019 8:10PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not remotely going to happen, but people might be surprised at how many performance issues were resolved if it did. Also, once they'd got used to the idea of not having their hand held through the major part of the game they might be surprised to realise that finding something through exploration is a lot less boring and tedious than following a marker on the map the whole time. It might reinvent "playing the game" rather than "chasing the endgame".
    Edited by Tandor on December 28, 2019 8:14PM
This discussion has been closed.