Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

1vX debunked

• mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im not skilled PvPer, but i saw all that bombers and tanks hit the wall when they faced just a lil bit prepared group. Bombers hit half of health and then they die or escape. Tanks can tank small zerg for sometime, but then they run away or die.

Even super coordinated razor ball groups can die if they face stupidly big zerg.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

I'm curious about the whole 1vX concept - essentially anyone can 1vX any time they want - just go solo a whole bunch of overland mobs :)
    Has anyone show they are a Real 1vX expert, by taking on 3-5+ world top PVP players ?
    Maybe a proper 1vX tournament?

This would then be real 1vX, otherwise the rest is false advertising, and self promotion - just call it 1vnoob and fine, we can have a laugh.
    Anyway, it seems the whole 1vX narcissism seems to have mainly gone away - any idea why ??

Staxx

I don't get the complaining - Does anyone actually say it's anything more than 1vX? No.

I've yet to see a 1vX video where the person claims to be God mode wrecking other pros. And if they did, they would look like a knob saying such a thing. Decent players like Malc tend to have respect from folks watching their videos of what they can do.

1vX by nature is clearly going to be against players less prepped or skilled but who cares it still takes a degree of skill (even if it's build or skills knowledge or just being able to apply it) to take on 3-5+ players and win.

Stop with the bitterness. It's not always epeen but it can be players who struggled with PvP getting better and being proud. I know I was chuffed when I wiped my first group of 3 players, then 4-5. Was it about boasting, no?

I'll caveat - I agree if a video is fake. I.e. a load of mates who aren't fighting back. Yep that's atrocious.

Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1vX would be more aptly named 1vPotatoes, because that's what it is.

You face several players of equal or better skill (while you are solo), you die. It's that simple.
    Unless you can escape the fight by some means, but that's another story and doesn't count as "winning" the fight, either.

1vX only works because inexperienced/bad players have no idea what they are doing, and will blindly chase the 1vXer to where he/she can engage them on his/her own terms - using LoS to mitigate most of the incoming damage, and luring the noobs into chokepoints to be disposed of one by one.

BTW, the exact same logic also applies to "smallscale vs X".

When playing, most of the time it's best to just ignore the 1vX'ers entirely. Let them hump this rock or hug that tree, or run circles around the resource tower. When deprived of the inflow of juicy AP, they will eventually get bored and move on somewhere else.
    Unless of course you (or your group) are good enough to be fully capable of disposing of the 1vXer, in which case go right ahead.
  • Shanehere
    Shanehere
    ✭✭✭
    1vX isn’t always against PvErs. There are groups of people who are in Cyrodiil all the time who are too reliant on their own group that their individual skill level is lower, and they get 1vXed. It’s probably what happens most often.

I’m not sure why people are discrediting 1vX as a player who is manipulating the environment to be used in their favor against greater numbers, and to split groups in half to turn them into 1v1s and 1v2s. It still requires a level of skill and foresight for this to be used effectively. Wouldn’t it be kind of ridiculous if the game allows a single person to face tank a group of people without the need of LOS? To not have to be relieved from the pressure?

Not to mention, the older the game gets, the higher the skill level of the “noobs” that are involved in the X. A person sitting there and spamming bombard, or javelin throwing over and over again because they don’t know what CC immunity is or how long it lasts can still makes it a little more difficult to the guy trying to fight the 4-5-X amount of people chasing him around. This is already more than what “noobs” were doing in these situations during earlier parts of the game.

But I mean, if the consensus of this thread is that 1vX is easy and is a method of exploiting new or bad players to make themselves look good for YouTube, a video or two of the people with this belief 1vXing and explaining how every step of the process is easy will really help your case, and won’t make this thread seem like a complain thread.
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shanehere wrote: »
    I’m not sure why people are discrediting 1vX as a player who is manipulating the environment to be used in their favor against greater numbers, and to split groups in half to turn them into 1v1s and 1v2s. It still requires a level of skill and foresight for this to be used effectively.
    Correct. Yes, it does require a level of skill.

However, it does not change the fact that it only really works when facing opponents of considerably less skill - who, because of their lack of skill and/or experience, let themselves get manipulated so that they are actually dancing to the 1vXer's tune (and they don't even realize it).
    Shanehere wrote: »
    A person sitting there and spamming bombard, or javelin throwing over and over again (...) can still makes it a little more difficult to the guy trying to fight the 4-5-X amount of people chasing him around.
    Actually, frequently it's the exact opposite: the noob CC spammers give the 1vXer near-constant CC immunity, making it much harder for anyone else to burst them down because of it.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't get the hate.

The fact that players of equal skill can't 1vX each other is a sign of balance. The fact that one player can, if they play well and don't make mistakes, win against a number of players of lesser ability is a sign that skill and practice still matters in the game.

If anything I would prefer that skill mattered more, but it's a reasonable balance point for the game. If skill didn't matter at all, what player progression would there be in PVP?
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1vX is fine and there are real skilled 1vX-ers, but they are pretty rare sight. Fighting with them in 1v1 is always interesting experience, from which you may learn and improve, even if some of them are toxic.
    But there are a lot of people running in small (3-6) groups, ambushing/focusing down random players near keep exits/crossroads and dancing/behaving like they achieved something, but running back to resource tower/favorite hill under slightest pressure from comparable numbers... well, that's ok that they want easy mode to play with their buddies, but certainly nothing to brag about.
  • khajiitNPC
    khajiitNPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won’t go as far to say that 1vX is impossible, I know a few who can really 1vX players of equal skill, and even then it’s 2-3 at the most (which is still impressive, and yes there are players that good), but OP you’re totally correct, a majority of the time 1vX is 1vPotatoes. I personally don’t think LoS playing is that fun or impressive. But whatever floats their boat.

Also have you ever noticed people of opposite alliances, who are known as 1vXers don’t typically attack any group they know they can’t beat? Or they won’t attack someone they know is of equal ability.

What I find more impressive is cohesive groups battling other groups of similar or larger size. Some group play is amazing. These are the groups that are the bane of the 1vXer, because they know they will never beat them. It is also the source of their salty tears. And resorts in derogatory terms as “zergling”, no they aren’t zerging, they’re just not potatoes that you commonly mow down.

I personally 2vX, but I won’t pretend the x aren’t potatoes. They are — that’s what makes it possible.
  • StackonClown
    StackonClown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Major_Lag wrote: »

You face several players of equal or better skill (while you are solo), you die. It's that simple.
    Unless you can escape the fight by some means, but that's another story and doesn't count as "winning" the fight, either.

1vX only works because inexperienced/bad players have no idea what they are doing, and will blindly chase the 1vXer to where he/she can engage them on his/her own terms - using LoS to mitigate most of the incoming damage, and luring the noobs into chokepoints to be disposed of one by one.

When playing, most of the time it's best to just ignore the 1vX'ers entirely. Let them hump this rock or hug that tree, or run circles around the resource tower. When deprived of the inflow of juicy AP, they will eventually get bored and move on somewhere else.
    Unless of course you (or your group) are good enough to be fully capable of disposing of the 1vXer, in which case go right ahead.

tbh - this is really my point - If people put up 1vPotatoes videos i'd watch them for a laugh, but labelling them 1vX (although yes X can mean anything) does imply similar skilled players.

If I said I played 1v3 basketball and won, I'd quickly need to clarify who those 3 were, otherwise leaving it like that implies similar skilled opponents and then that would be an achievement!
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

tbh - this is really my point - If people put up 1vPotatoes videos i'd watch them for a laugh, but labelling them 1vX (although yes X can mean anything) does imply similar skilled players.

If I said I played 1v3 basketball and won, I'd quickly need to clarify who those 3 were, otherwise leaving it like that implies similar skilled opponents and then that would be an achievement!

How do you figure? X implies nothing, it's the most generic variable there is.

What game that is remotely dependent on skill where people are going to be able to beat 3 other similarly skilled players simultaneously? Unless it's something like chess where it's 3 different boards (and thus more like three 1v1s), it isn't happening unless the three allow it to happen by actively working against each other or through sheer laziness.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The only real way to do it is if you have "tricks" baked into your build and get good at using them to make combat dynamic.

Unfortunately, ZOS has nerfed and removed most of the trick play (and or moved them to proc sets) meaning that all that's left is to have a cheese build, and there is little you can do versus one of them if its built right.

ZOS has also moved to boring stat-based sets that do nothing but make the game unbalanced, but hey...
  • zDan
    zDan
    ✭✭✭✭
    You do realize that it would be close to impossible to 1vX 3+ top tier players? They have the understanding of when to go offensive and how to heal etc and they will most likely just ult dump you. That's why 1vx mostly consists of bad or below average players. I'm not sure why so many people bring up this argument, maybe if they tried to solo open world they will finally then understand the whole concept of it.
    zDan - Xbox EU/NA

I specialize in solo PvP on every class in the game,
    be sure to check out my YouTube for several 1vX and build videos!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXkrJ3K68GHLn2-HgHjITsA
  • CompM4s
    CompM4s
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its showing the difference between multiple builds.

Duel build- for 1v1 in a duel, no line of sight

Group play build- built to compliment groups composition.

1vX build- built to have enough sustain and damage to fight multiple targets.

VD bait build- built to light attack spam in full alliance zergs. Usually blows from ball groups or chases the 1vX them dies. Makes nerf threads on forums.
  • RighteousBacon
    RighteousBacon
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can’t 1vX top players. Unless ZoS releases something absolutely op that you can use to do so.

You seem to act like that means it isn’t hard. Which is fine, that’s your opinion, but this game is very forgiving for players in a group. It is very unforgiving for solo players.
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1vX is easy because of a few things:

1. You can build tanks with high single target intermittant burst to actually kill people. eg.. waiting for zaan to proc and using it as a springboard to a finisher, while otherwise being a full tank

2. You can just play as a tank and random allies will kill *** while you think you're 1vX-ing - I mean you *kinda* are, but not really

3. This is the one I do, 80% of the players in pvp in this game are trash, they might as well be NPCs so yeah, you can easily 1vX them
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [Removed Quotes]

Because those so called pros 1vXing noobs are usually youtubers or twitch streamers trying to market themselves by making exciting content to generate followers and subscriptions to make income. 1vXing of noobs can be exciting to watch. Just watch fengrush’s stream. Very exciting and he is a creative guy. But he’s also a smart business man and knows what sells. Dying to other pro players over and over in a bad 1vXing performance wouldn’t build follower confidence and is not fun to watch.

And to answer your original question about pro 1vxers 1vXing other pro players, will never happen. It doesn’t work and it’s bad for business. All it takes is 1 pro player and a bunch of noobs beating on a 1vxer and 1vxer dies very quickly. I know because I’ve gotten a ton of rage tells from past popular 1vxers for ruining their 1vXing of noobs. Flat out asking me to stop ruining their 1vXing. And I don’t even consider myself pro.
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on December 26, 2019 3:41PM
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • CompM4s
    CompM4s
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most 1vX players ignore each other
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unseelie wrote: »
    Color me curious, but isn't there a pvp forum where this would probably fit in better?

'PVP Combat' is not appropriate how?
  • raasdal
    raasdal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh?

1vX in any game or sport is clearly defined by you as the 1 having either much more skill or some other huge advantage (gear/CP.). Not being equal.

This is true in ESO, Basketball, Boxing whatever you want. The simple nature or winning against multiple opponents makes it true that you are better than them. Fighting 3 equally skilled players of any game, is only possible to win, if you are superior skilled OR have another advantage. Because if you win, they were not of equal skill to you obviously. So winning against 3 equally skilled opponents is utterly impossible, because if you do it, you have just proven they were in fact NOT of equal skill.

So. “debunked” is not really the right word.
    PC - EU
    Gromag Gro-Molag - Sorcerer - EP
    Dexion Velus - Dragonknight - AD
    Chalaux Erissa - Nightblade - AD
    Firiel Erissa - Templar - AD
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [Removed Quotes]

But if this is all about 1vNoob, then why do people bother to make videos?

Why would You make such a nonsensical assumption ? Do You know how math works ? if 1 player meets 4-5 other players with same level of skills and equally prepared to PvP then it's essentially 1v1*4-5 and You may not know but 4-5 is more then 1. The only way You can win when being outnumbered is when You meet way less skilled or prepared players then You're because then You'll have something like 1v0,2*4-5 so chances of winning are becoming higher. To kill people in 1vX that X amount of people need to make way more mistakes then You which is pretty much unlikely when You meet multiple equally skilled players.

The essential concept behind 1vX is showcasing that skill and experience matters above all and skilled players can take down multiple unskilled players in single fight because skilled players have skill to do so. That of course excludes ganking/bombing builds where the idea is to use certain combination of skill/sets to kill enemy before he'll have time to react. And that concept is not reserved for ESO only. You may call it 1vnoob to please Yourself but that doesnt change a fact that X stands for X amount of players without specifying their level of experience but logical assumption is they'll be more likely casuals. Thinking differently is illogical and if anything is debunked here then it's Your view on 1vX not the 1vX concept itself. The only 1vX where 1 skilled player can take on 4-5 equally skilled players and not die is either through using bomber setup or when he's playing a survival setup to the point he can survive those 4-5 player and fight will end in stalemate.
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on December 26, 2019 3:43PM
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    raasdal wrote: »
    Huh?

1vX in any game or sport is clearly defined by you as the 1 having either much more skill or some other huge advantage (gear/CP.). Not being equal.

This is true in ESO, Basketball, Boxing whatever you want. The simple nature or winning against multiple opponents makes it true that you are better than them. Fighting 3 equally skilled players of any game, is only possible to win, if you are superior skilled OR have another advantage. Because if you win, they were not of equal skill to you obviously. So winning against 3 equally skilled opponents is utterly impossible, because if you do it, you have just proven they were in fact NOT of equal skill.

So. “debunked” is not really the right word.

In games with aim person can (occasionally) have successful 1vX due to how aim depends on bit of luck, concentration, mood etc. Same in ESO you can kill player of higher skill or be killed by player of lesser skill due to RNG or under-estimation, external factors (lag spike, phone call). Several lucky crits or bloodspawn procs can be a life difference. So this 1vX videos is more of showcase when those things happened... I doubt those AP50 guys who are often killed in this videos are of such low skill to be killed in couple GCD without resistance.
  • ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Greetings!

We removed several comments that were baiting or off topic.

Trolling or Baiting: The act of trolling is defined as something that is created for the intent to provoke conflict, shock others, or to elicit a strong negative or emotional reaction. It’s okay and very normal to disagree with others, and even to debate, but provoking conflict, baiting, inciting, mocking, etc. is never acceptable in the official The Elder Scrolls Online community. If you do not have something constructive or meaningful to add to a discussion, we strongly recommend you refrain from posting in that thread, and find another discussion to participate in instead. It is also not constructive or helpful to publicly call out others and accuse them of trolling, or call them a troll—please refrain from doing so. If you genuinely believe someone is trolling, please report the post or thread to the ESO Team, and leave it at that.

Please keep the conversation constructive and relevant to the forum topic.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mocap wrote: »
    im not skilled PvPer, but i saw all that bombers and tanks hit the wall when they faced just a lil bit prepared group. Bombers hit half of health and then they die or escape. Tanks can tank small zerg for sometime, but then they run away or die.

Even super coordinated razor ball groups can die if they face stupidly big zerg.

If the bomber escapes, then he did it right.

In fact my "skill" list goes this way:

1- Kill one (or 2) competent player(s)
    2- Escape from a competent group
    3- Escape from a competent player
    4- Kill a (couple of) mindless potato(es)
    5- Escape from a mindless zerg
    6- Die to a competent player
    7- Die to a competent group
    8- Die to a mindless zerg
    9- Escape from a mindless potato
    10- Die to a mindless potato

Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Xvorg ah what have we become, the days when one could mulch dozens of players ruthlessly with berserking animal rage have come and gone...

t_b6c31b00-80d4-11e1-8477-d3daa7400003.jpg

^^ THIS IS HOW WE ARE NOW ^^
    Edited by Cathexis on December 27, 2019 4:44PM
    The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cathexis wrote: »
    @Xvorg ah what have we become, the days when one could mulch dozens of players ruthlessly with berserking animal rage have come and gone...

t_b6c31b00-80d4-11e1-8477-d3daa7400003.jpg

^^ THIS IS HOW WE ARE NOW ^^

I miss my NB vamp with swarm and stygian
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1vXing involves looking for certain kinds of fights. Certain KINDS of people to fight. Pugs, noobs, potatoes whatever you want to call them.

I was 2 manning with a guy who could very well 1vX 2 maybe 3 top players in the game...sometimes. He got stuck in a tower entrance. I’m in the tower getting chased. Kill one. Kill two. Fall off the tower.

A guy comes in on a third faction. He legit 1vxes 6 potatoes. Me and the guy I’m small manning with run into the same guy and drop him in 2 seconds. Now we battled 2v2 vs this guy last ic event. Quality guy. Saw him on my faction the other day and the fool said hi.

No one has any illusions about what they are doing when they are 1vXing.
  • visionality
    visionality
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no 1vsX player who can hold his own against top tier players and you will never see a vid about it.

And actually, thats exactly the way it should be in a balanced game.
    Edited by visionality on December 28, 2019 10:41AM
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no 1vsX player who can hold his own against top tier players and you will never see a vid about it.

And actually, thats exactly the way it should be in a balanced game.

In a sense, but the bar for innate survival dropped considerably. Things used to carry risk in PvP, now they don't really.
    The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.