The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Patch has made things worse on PS4

• Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lagasaurus in vss 😑👎🙄

https://youtu.be/HdgEo9D7yb8

Next time some leet PC bro accuses console players of “making excuses” when they claim they can’t hit 80k DPS in trials due to lag, I’m just going to post this video. :)

Utterly atrocious performance.
    Edited by Aurielle on December 4, 2019 9:56PM
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can take any system and play ESO and make it play like crap by creating extreme situations in which the game performs poorly whether you are playing on the OG PS4 or a $7500 Alienware that requires 220v service and is cooled using Freon and a refrigerator compressor.

What i see on the forums is 75% of the complaints coming from PS4 players, 20% coming from Xbox, and 5% from PC. I am excluding actual legit server problems from that.

Extreme situations like going to Cyrodiil, trying to use group finder, running a trial, queuing for battlegrounds, standing at a bank with very few other players around and still disconnecting?
    Also, I didn't know we were making things up but if we are, what I see is 95% PC players, 20% Colecovision, and 18% carrier pigeon.
  • Massive_Stain
    Massive_Stain
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice for the devs to thank all the beta testers testing out their servers in 2019.
    PC: CP 1200+ DroDest, Bringer of light
    PS4: CP 1500+ Dro Dest, SoTN, Bringer of light, CragHMs, EoF, IR, TTT
    Xbox: CP 450 Fungal Grotto 1 HM
  • VampiricByNature
    VampiricByNature
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't had issues beyond what has become normal. We killed dragons for awhile successfully with only a couple dcs. We did a vhrc and 3 people dc'd porting in but no one dc'd during trial.

Our only new issue today was as a healer/dps/and tank we could not que for a 2nd dps today for a normal dungeon. :(
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    Hallothiel wrote: »
    8 crashes in 90mins of attempting to play.

Hardly crashed at all before the ‘fix’.

Please sort this out.

Make that 10.

This is why I personally hate "patches" because more often they make the game worse instead of fixing the problem. So now they will have to issue another patch to fix this patch. It's a good thing I bought a new Hard Drive on Black Friday. Because I will need it with all of these "patches" of course if the game worked as it should in the first place. We wouldn't need all of these stinking patches.
    “I’m The Best There Is At What I Do. But What I Do Isn't Very Nice…” - Wolverine/Logan/James Howlett
  • regime211
    regime211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lagrue wrote: »
    Hazadus76 wrote: »
    You don’t even know what I put in my report. A false report? I reported precisely what was happening. You’re attacking me for being hyperbolic? Don’t respond to me next time. If I pay for a game to work, and it doesn’t someone’s gonna hear me.
    You said you reported for the game making you damage your console. You said it, not me. It's hyperbolic because unplugging it does NOT damage it. You did not damage your console, nor did the game make you damage your console. I'm not "attacking" you.
    This game is making me do damage to my ps4. I'm reporting this to Sony.

Sad to say it does damage the console when constantly having to pull the power plug. You can fry your system that way.
  • regime211
    regime211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nk125x wrote: »
    Welcome to the s**t us PC users have had to put up with

Speak for yourself, ESO works perfectly fine for me and has for months outside of bugs.

Yeah no I don't believe you at, video or it's a lie.
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was alright this morning (Australia, so probably like midnight in EU). But its 5pm now and its slowing down and dropping smoothness by the minute
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    regime211 wrote: »
    lagrue wrote: »
    You don’t even know what I put in my report. A false report? I reported precisely what was happening. You’re attacking me for being hyperbolic? Don’t respond to me next time. If I pay for a game to work, and it doesn’t someone’s gonna hear me.
    You said you reported for the game making you damage your console. You said it, not me. It's hyperbolic because unplugging it does NOT damage it. You did not damage your console, nor did the game make you damage your console. I'm not "attacking" you.
    This game is making me do damage to my ps4. I'm reporting this to Sony.

Sad to say it does damage the console when constantly having to pull the power plug. You can fry your system that way.

It doesn't damage the machine. The only way you're going to fry your machine is with a power surge, not by cutting power. You can even look it up, worst that can happen is corrupted data like I said. The PS4 will generally check if this has happened.

Modern machines and modern harddrives are already designed with sudden power loss in mind. The heads on old school harddrives used to clamp down when power was cut, and if this was repeated alot it would ruin the HDD physically. This has long since been mitigated against. Modern HDDs store enough power to park the heads in the event of an unplanned shutdown, preventing actual hardware damage. This isn't the 1990s.
    Edited by lagrue on December 5, 2019 9:06AM
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PS4 PRO on 4G internet reporting in:

Activities: overland PVE, delves and public dungeons, Craglorn stuff, harvesting, banking and guild stores

Prior to patch: I wasn't experiencing as many problems as most people reporting in were.
    • Blue screens were rare and slowly became more frequent. They were their worst after the Dragonguard event started. Earlier in the week, I experienced several blue screens in one day while fighting dragons, which resulted in un-loot-able dragon corpses. Blue screened a few times at outfit stations or guild merchants. Load screens sometimes froze while traveling to Elsweyr.
    • Input lag and targeting issues. Skills would misfire, or would fire without animation. Inability to target enemies, especially with lightning staff HAs. Bar swapping issues. Sometimes, trouble looting harvesting nodes, requiring manic (X) button mashing.
    • Framerate dips, especially in Elsweyr. Turning boost mode off on my PS4 helped this, but didn't eliminate it.
    • Invisible dragon AOEs for a while after arriving at an encounter in progress. Dragons would occasionally pivot in place or skip animations.
    • No problems to report inside delves or dungeons.

Now: Seeing an improvement, actually.
    • No blue screens so far. A load screen froze while traveling to Elsweyr. Menu hung at a guild merchant, forcing me to close the application, but it didn't blue screen!
    • Skills still sometimes misfire or skip animation at the very start of an encounter, but it starts to behave itself once all of the assets have settled in. Having a slightly easier time targeting. Harvesting nodes is still a bit pffft but there may be a slight improvement here.
    • Framerate dips are still present.
    • Dragon AOEs are still invisible when arriving at an encounter in progress. Dragons still pivot when there are a lot of people fighting them.
    • No problems to report inside delves or dungeons.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Update 2: Played again today (again took things slowly & gave things time to load) and no crashes & skills / bar swap worked fine. Still have some players as black silhouettes, but on the whole could actually play fine & kill dragons.

Was almost deliriously happy 🤣🤣. Hope others are seeing an improvement.
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I got lucky for a while, but blue screened to end my night last night. I essentially spent my evening working on my furniture store, so just a lot of crafting and placing furnishings in one home. Because I'd crafted quite a bit, I wanted to look in my inventory and see what mats I'd need to go buy to replenish for the next day. Literally blue screened just trying to access my craft bag.

It was late. Past time for me to go to bed, so I took that as a sign anyway.
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • Freakin_Hytte
    Freakin_Hytte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly don't know how ps4 players have it this bad, I'm on ps4 and sure I have more crashes now. Maybe 2 per day during prime time in cyro. Other than that I barely have a problem, never had a problem in the Pve areas, only in cyro during prime time. Maybe I have better internet (100/100 fibre) that helps me out a lot.
  • AgaTheGreat
    AgaTheGreat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly don't know how ps4 players have it this bad, I'm on ps4 and sure I have more crashes now. Maybe 2 per day during prime time in cyro. Other than that I barely have a problem, never had a problem in the Pve areas, only in cyro during prime time. Maybe I have better internet (100/100 fibre) that helps me out a lot.

Internet has nothing to do about it. The most problematic places where you can encounter frequent blue screens and now lag too are pve trials (sometimes but less often dungeons) and PVP zones.

PS4 EU Aga_The_Grey - retired | PC EU AgaTheGreat
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My report regarding yesterday's gaming session:

EU server - I played about 5h and I only crashed one time - I was heading to a wayshrine after a dragon fight in S. Elsweyr. In all the fights at dragon hunting grounds there were always at least 25-35 players per fight.

NA server - I played for +- 1h and I didn't have any crash yesterday but I didn't ran dragonguard daily quests - I just did some pve zone main quest in Stormhaven.

I also was able to craft some daily writs at Vivec City - it was hugely crowded (I counted at least 50 players in there) and I didn't get any crashes. So, I guess that's fixed.

PS - On EU some of my guild mates had a lot more crashes than me. Some were in open world pve, some were in Cyro. One of those guild mates in Cyro got disconnected 3 times in 15 minutes, while others were getting less crashes.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • RedGirl41
    RedGirl41
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bluescreen multiple times last night just standing around a town. Not even in pvp
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The issue with PS4 blue screens (crash to dashboard) is a game client memory management issue. It's that simple, and has been confirmed (see link below).

Over time, the client leaks, and eventually it runs out of memory and dies. This is why people experience experience blue screens while standing at a wayshrine, or even in a home.

The last patch was supposed to address this. See:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/504021/playstation-4-patch-notes-v1-53
    The Elder Scrolls Online v1.53 includes several adjustments for the Activity Finder to improve stability and a fix for a memory leak that was causing frequent game freezes or crashes.

Did the patch improve things? Well it looks like everyone's experience is different. I personally experience fewer PS4 crashes after this week's patch - they still happen, but every 2 hours instead of every hour. Unfortunately, I have also seen an increase in lagging out, and occasional rubberbanding since this week's update. Hopefully ZOS will continue to massage the PS4 game client until it performs well again. And hopefully they will do it soon.
    Edited by dotme on December 5, 2019 4:11PM
    PS4NA
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @dotme

this thread wasn’t about the ps4 bluescreen issue, but the fact that fixing that appeared to lead to much more ‘lag then crash to log in page’ which I understand to be server-based problems.
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »

Next time some leet PC bro accuses console players of “making excuses” when they claim they can’t hit 80k DPS in trials due to lag, I’m just going to post this video. :)

Utterly atrocious performance.

Not like vSS works on PC either. Ever had someone running into the ice teleport away from the ice spot and into the Group? It certainly Looks funny, the wipe after since guy in the ice doesnt get focused healing is less funny tho.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dotme

this thread wasn’t about the ps4 bluescreen issue, but the fact that fixing that appeared to lead to much more ‘lag then crash to log in page’ which I understand to be server-based problems.

@Hallothiel I probably wouldn't rule the game client out of the equation on that either. If everyone lags simultaneously, then I would agree it's most likely server based. But if I lag, while my group-mates and enemies do not lag at that same moment, it could just as easily be the client reacting differently than it did before to an individual's latency. We know client changes were made, based on the patch notes.

Only ZOS knows whether server-side changes, which probably also happened, are to blame for the rubberbanding and lagging out I guess. I support the thread regardless, because they need to know there are still plenty of problems and I suspect few at ZOS play their own game on PS4 on a regular basis, especially in Cyrodiil.
    PS4NA
  • Spartabunny08
    Spartabunny08
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is a memory leak in the game client. They're messing with how memory is managed trying to make it better. Both client and server are being rearranged to be more efficient such as when they do updates it won't take all day to download it and stuff like that. This is a unforeseen result of them changing how the memory is managed, honestly I don't think they know exactly what's happening as in where to plug the hole. This will get better, it must, and it was in the past so as this is immensely complicated they will figure it out. The game will not be able to continue if they don't fix it. 6 months it'll all be better and we will talk about the dark ages of eso in passing lol. The blue screen plague.
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Spartabunny08

I applaud & support your positive attitude!!

(Really hoping you weren’t being sarky now 🤣🤣)
  • Spartabunny08
    Spartabunny08
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Spartabunny08

I applaud & support your positive attitude!!

(Really hoping you weren’t being sarky now 🤣🤣)

No sarcasm. They did post a roadmap of their intentions what they're fixing and the in time. Been waiting for years for that. They're seemingly trying to communicate with us and I personally am grateful. Would like my old permablock tank back but it is what it is. Lol. I am really curious as to where the new combat team is gonna take us. Last patch was too awesome and this one well it's ok and fun but not last patch fun lol.
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone followed the tech support page? I did the rebuild database, delete cache, freed up about 300gb etc. only thing I haven’t tried is uninstalling and redownloading the whole game. But seeing as that will take a billion hours I’m hesitant to try.

Anyone else tried it? Yay nay?
  • ZOS_SarahHecker
    ZOS_SarahHecker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone, just another update here. We're looking to make some changes to try and help with the crashing on PS4. The timing of the patch is still TBD, but should be later this month. We'll keep you updated when we have more information.
    Staff Post
  • iaminc
    iaminc
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone, just another update here. We're looking to make some changes to try and help with the crashing on PS4. The timing of the patch is still TBD, but should be later this month. We'll keep you updated when we have more information.

Appreciate and thank you the response but In the meantime PS4 users are just supposed to accept his is how the game will be?
  • cheifsoap
    cheifsoap
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Appreciate the update. Can you share the catalyst of the majority of the crashes?
  • SpiderKnight
    SpiderKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Later this month!? :|:|:|

I have nothing nice to say, good day....
    Pay Sony's fee and release the fix early! You're the only dev that does this, stop lying about certification timeframe...
  • Ripcat
    Ripcat
    Soul Shriven
    Later this month you will have a lot fewer players to cater for......which should help with the lag!
  • mdylan2013
    mdylan2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've gone from playing hours a day, to playing for an hour a day to now deciding to not play at all. You've lost my custom and support over this. Shameful tbh that you can make such a mess of a patch.
    PS4/EU
    CP-1300+
    PSN - LookoutLuke
    15 Max level toons
    PVE/PVP
This discussion has been closed.