Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Motifs that Count for Master Writs

Reorx_Holybeard
Reorx_Holybeard
✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone know which motifs count as increasing your chance for a master writ? Last year ZOS explicitly made a list but I haven't seen an official update in a while.
Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Basically any motif that you can earn or farm in the game counts for increasing your chances. The only motifs that don't count are the ones you can only get by buying them in the crown store.(like Frostcaller, and the new goblin one.)
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll see if I can find the rest of the lists when I have time later tonight. But they are likely to be fragmented since they just post which ones they "added" with new patches.

In general, it's all non-crown store EXCLUSIVE purple motifs increase your chances (the chances are tied to achievements, so learning 1 racial motif doesn't matter, but all of them might) and usually, the newest ones are excluded from that list. (So, right now, Sunspire, Meridian, Coldsnap, etc don't affect it, they probably will in the future) They seem to update the motifs about once a year, so those that came out last year

I could find the ones added in Summerset

The following Motifs will now contribute to your chance to acquire Master Writs:
    Apostle
    Bloodforge
    Dreadhorn
    Ebonshadow
    Fang Lair
    Scalecaller
    Worm Cult
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the same list is used for the writs themselves, so if you get a writ, you want to collect all the pages of the requested style to improve your chance of another. It doesn't really answer the original question, but it's a reliable way to get to the desired result.

And since the chances depend on complete styles learned, not the incomplete ones, collecting more of ones you've used gets you there faster.
    Edited by ghastley on October 22, 2019 5:32PM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I received a MW a few days ago that called for Deadwater, so at least up through the Murkmire DLC. I would assume that Elder Argonian is also included (since while it was delayed, it was still part of Murkmire's release), but probably not Honor Guard (since that came out with the subsequent dungeon DLC). I think that the only motifs that count are also the ones that are used in MWs, so the newest styles don't count towards motif knowledge and aren't potential MW requirements.

I haven't seen a list of added motifs in a while - last one probably the list tmbrinks found. A rule of thumb, then, is to try to stay up to date as possible. However, I wouldn't blow loads of gold trying to complete all the new motifs as they become available, since they don't get added right away. And, there are a couple of events that give out motifs - Undaunted (though those are only dungeon motifs) and the Anniversary Event (which usually has all motifs except Militant Ordinator and potentially the newest trial motif - although Welkynar was included earlier this year, so Honor Guard could possibly be available next year).

Plus, the increased chance from motif knowledge isn't as good as having additional alts. Doing top tier writs on more than one character, even if those additional characters don't have complete motif knowledge or even research knowledge, yields a better supply of MWs than just doing them on one fully knowledgeable character.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on October 22, 2019 6:42PM
  • goldenarcher1
    goldenarcher1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I got a Legendary master writ for 115 vouchers a few days ago asking for a sword in the Sunspire style.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I got a Legendary master writ for 115 vouchers a few days ago asking for a sword in the Sunspire style.

Wow, really? Good to know! I'm still going to wait until the Anniversary event to pick this one up, though.
  • ShadowPaladin
    ShadowPaladin
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a Link to an older Thread... There you will find some more information…

Basically it says that ZOS_Bel_Shezzar once stated that motif knowledge and overall completion of trait research for Blacksmithing, Clothier and Woodworking counts. That means that the more motifs you have learned and the more traits you have researched, the better your chances for writs will be.

ZOS_Bel_Shezzar also stated that - as it was already mentioned here - Crown-Exclusive motifs do not count, AS WELL AS (!) the 9 base Player Race motifs (the 9 BLUE Books).

The list of motifs which will count is continuously updated with every larger Update.

Best regards
    Shadow
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Here is a Link to an older Thread... There you will find some more information…

Basically it says that ZOS_Bel_Shezzar once stated that motif knowledge and overall completion of trait research for Blacksmithing, Clothier and Woodworking counts. That means that the more motifs you have learned and the more traits you have researched, the better your chances for writs will be.

ZOS_Bel_Shezzar also stated that - as it was already mentioned here - Crown-Exclusive motifs do not count, AS WELL AS (!) the 9 base Player Race motifs (the 9 BLUE Books).

The list of motifs which will count is continuously updated with every larger Update.

Best regards
    Shadow

Right, but I haven't seen any such updated list in quite a while, hence the OP's post. So, we don't know which ones have been added since the updated list with Summerset that tmbrinks found.

Sounds like motifs up through Sunspire, at least. But we only know that because a player posted here that he got a MW requesting that motif.
  • goldenarcher1
    goldenarcher1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

Wow, really? Good to know! I'm still going to wait until the Anniversary event to pick this one up, though.

Yes,the Sunspire Motifs are understandably expensive.

Pellitine writs also dropping.

RH935Vf.png
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday I got a MW for a Huntsman hat, legendary nirnhoned worth 150 vouchers. I don't know Huntsman besides Axes, and the Helmets page looks pretty expensive right now. I just bought two houses for gold so I'll be holding onto the MW for awhile, although I could put it up for sale on a guild trader.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know which motifs count as increasing your chance for a master writ? Last year ZOS explicitly made a list but I haven't seen an official update in a while.

@Reorx_Holybeard They all count except the crown store exclusives. Be aware that you need to know all the pages from a motif in order to that motif style be accounted for master writs drops.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Reorx_Holybeard They all count except the crown store exclusives.

Do you have a source you can link, @redlink1979?

We would certainly like to avoid conjecture when it comes to the drop chance on master writs ... especially newer motifs such as Sunspire, Dragonguard, and Refabricated.

My prior understanding is that ZOS should be waiting at least one major Update before they add new motifs into the drop rate equation.

But, if you ask @Reorx_Holybeard to add “They all count” to a trusted site like UESP, and it’s wrong ... that just spreads more misinformation.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on November 19, 2019 9:53PM
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also received a MW calling for Sunspire swords I think, right after the motif went live. I will hold on to it until the prices drop a bit. Not that I can't afford them but why pay 100K now when I can get it for 30K in 3 months or even less during the jubilee event when the market is flooded. I have the older 65 or so learned (missing Meridian, Sunspire, Honor Guard, Prefabricated and Dragonguard). There will always be new motifs coming so I don't care if I am "behind" a bit :)

Also from what I noticed motifs don't matter that much when it comes to master writ drop chance. The character that has almost all motifs learned gets them as often as other characters with 9 traits researched but only 15-16 motifs learned: 9 blue books, 4 purple books, Hollowjack and most of them Undaunted as well (used to be dirt cheap until a year ago), some of them Soul Shriven too. 2 are Imperials so they have that motif by default.

I'm unsure if other misc crafting achievements have any influence ex. Unsurpassed Crafter but I never found anything in the developer coments to suggest that.
    Edited by Asardes on November 19, 2019 5:56PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Taleof2Cities In Jan 2017 @ZOS_Bel_Shezzar wrote this:
    Tradeskill mastery (which determines your odds of receiving a master writ from a top tier writ reward box) is meant to imply a long-term dedication to the craft. This varies from tradeskill to tradeskill.

For Blacksmithing, Clothier, and Woodworking, this means motif knowledge and overall completion of trait research. This does not include Crown-exclusive motifs or motifs for the 9 base player races. It focuses on motifs that take some effort to learn – like Xivkyn, or Minotaur, or Celestial.
    For Provisioning, this is instead your collection of known purple and gold recipes as they are a strong overall representation of dedication to craft.
    With Enchanting, we instead look at the total overall rune word translations you’ve completed on that character.
    And with Alchemy, we look at how many reagents from which you’ve completely learned all effects.

Over time, the contributing factors for this may expand as the associated tradeskill mechanics do.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3656134#Comment_3656134

So:

a) For Blacksmithing, Clothier, and Woodworking - know all motifs (complete) except crown store exclusives n all traits.
    b) Provisioning - know all purple n gold recipes.
    c) Enchanting - know all the runes.
    d) Alchemy - know all the reagents/ingredients.
    Edited by redlink1979 on November 20, 2019 9:28AM
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That link is almost three years old, @redlink1979, and it doesn’t confirm what @Reorx_Holybeard is trying to figure out.

To ask the question more specifically:

Are new motifs being added to the master writ drop modifier right away ... or does ZOS still wait one major Update for players to collect new motifs in-game (before adding to the master writ drop modifier)?

Or, better yet, does ZOS have an “updated” explicit list?
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Taleof2Cities Regardless of how old the link is, I think it's implicit that the tradeskill's factors that count to master writs drops remain exactly the same: complete motif styles. New ones included, they may not be included right way but they will be in the future. That's what happened so far.

ZOS never gave any explicit list. They just mention new additions from time to time.

So, again:

"The frequency of Master Writ invites from standard Writ boxes is based on the overall associated tradeskill mastery possessed by the character.
    This includes research, Motif knowledge, and achievement completion.
    Blacksmithing, Clothing, and Woodworking Master Writ drop rates are based on trait research and motif knowledge.
    Alchemy is based on reagent effect knowledge.
    Enchanting is based on known translations.
    Provisioning is based on recipe knowledge. (Purple and Gold)"
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/323579/playstation-4-patch-notes-v1-21#latest

Jewelry Master Writs
    "Learning additional Traits in Jewelry Crafting will increase your chances of obtaining a Jewelry Crafting Master Writ."
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/417179/playstation-4-patch-notes-v1-35-summerset-amp-update-18#latest

"Master Writs will now call for more diverse crafting styles, such as Abah's Watch, Hollowjack, or Redoran."
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/379462/playstation-4-patch-notes-v1-29-clockwork-city#latest

"The drop rate for Sealed Enchanting Writs now scales more smoothly with your number of known rune translations."
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/350024/playstation-4-patch-notes-v1-25-morrowind-amp-update-14#latest

@Reorx_Holybeard Complete as many purple motif styles as you can, older and new ones. Most recent may not be included right way but they will be in the future - this happened more than once before.
  • Tatanko
    Tatanko
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS never gave any explicit list. They just mention new additions from time to time.
    It's almost like that's... exactly what OP is asking for ;)
    Silvanus the Gilded
    Merchant, Scholar, and Benefactor
    Imperial Templar - PC/NA
    Learn More
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tatanko wrote: »
    It's almost like that's... exactly what OP is asking for ;)

It'd be nice.

But they've never given us hard data on many things on the game.

The drop rates of materials, the refinement rate, master writ drop rates, etc... are all just approximated from data collected from a multitude of individuals.

It's safe to assume that the "newest" of motifs are not in the calculations since they have written when others are added after the fact, and after they've been out for a period of time.

If I had to guess, I'd say the motifs that CAN drop for you to do master writs with are the ones that would increase your drop rate, but that's just an educated guess at this point.

I'll personally still continue to seek to learn all the motifs on my main crafter, and learn other motifs on my alts as I get them from dungeons and events. Many of the trial ones and new DLC ones are valuable enough that I will sell them instead, since their value as gold is more than the value I'd get from getting more master writs on an alt character, especially when I'd have to learn all 14 pages to complete the motif.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would assume that any motif required for a MW would also count toward motif knowledge, but that is, of course, an assumption.

As tmbrinks pointed out in a previous post, the last official statement from ZOS on which motifs have been added to the pool for motif knowledge was with the launch of Summerset. Since then, they have not stated anywhere - that any of us can find - when they've added new motifs to the loot pool.

And while redlink is correct in his posting of ZOS' official statement on what counts toward MW chances, what he doesn't realize is that not all motifs have counted in the past. That ZOS has periodically added new motifs to that pool (at least one update after they were initially released), but after Summerset, they haven't bothered to mention when they've added them.

Just this past weekend, I got a MW for Senche-Raht's Grit that required Pellitine. Thus, we can assume, but we don't necessarily know, that Pellitine is now included in the pool for increased drop-chance. Presumably, when they add a motif to the pool for Master Writs, they've also added it to the pool for MW chance, but that's not something that's been explicitly stated by ZOS. The only official statements we've gotten is when new motifs have been added to the motif knowledge pool for MW chance.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    ....And while redlink is correct in his posting of ZOS' official statement on what counts toward MW chances, what he doesn't realize is that not all motifs have counted in the past. That ZOS has periodically added new motifs to that pool (at least one update after they were initially released), but after Summerset, they haven't bothered to mention when they've added them...

I'm well aware of ZOS shady m.o. regarding this, that's why I wrote it's better to learn all the purple motif styles because at some point the new styles are included in the MW "pool" - It's only a matter of time until that happens.

I also have MW asking for Pelletine, the latest asks for Sunspire.
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tradeskill mastery (which determines your odds of receiving a master writ from a top tier writ reward box) is meant to imply a long-term dedication to the craft. This varies from tradeskill to tradeskill.

For Blacksmithing, Clothier, and Woodworking, this means motif knowledge and overall completion of trait research. This does not include Crown-exclusive motifs or motifs for the 9 base player races. It focuses on motifs that take some effort to learn – like Xivkyn, or Minotaur, or Celestial.
    For Provisioning, this is instead your collection of known purple and gold recipes as they are a strong overall representation of dedication to craft.
    With Enchanting, we instead look at the total overall rune word translations you’ve completed on that character.
    And with Alchemy, we look at how many reagents from which you’ve completely learned all effects.

Over time, the contributing factors for this may expand as the associated tradeskill mechanics do.

Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To learn the Imperial Motif or not to learn The Imperial Motif...
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons