The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

class choice for a warrior in leather armor ?

taupe_agile
Hi,

I want to play a Nord man warrior in leather armor with a sword and a shield and using stamina. Magicka doesn't interest me.
Which class is the most suitable ?

Thanks.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If your into a more nimble approach, go NB. You don't have to use invisibility as the other cloak morph is a self heal. Still has the feel of an assasin or duelist.
    For some poison clouds and "rock throwing" go DK. "Slow", sturdy, many DoTs.
    Sorc is a great warrior choice as well as you're forced to use mostly weapon skills and buff via class skills. I'd compare him to an Berserker Archetype. Fast, much AoE and self healing by doing damage.

I'd guess Templar and Necro are out of the picture. Maybe warden too if the nature theme is too flashy for you.

For more help we need to know what aspect you want to do. PvE, PvP?
    Edited by Chilly-McFreeze on November 22, 2019 11:39AM
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    with a sword and a shield
    Note that your only option in group content if you want to use sword and shield is to play a tank. In solo content like questing, anything goes, but if you’re playing group dungeons sword and shield is only viable on the party tank.
    in leather armor
    Note that any armor weight can be made to take any appearance. You can make anything look like leather armor through the outfit system.

As to class choice, I’d recommend stamina sorcerer, stamina nightblade, or stamina Templar. Those will be the classes that most feel like warriors relying on weapons.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • yRaven
    yRaven
    ✭✭✭✭
    You made a Nord, want to play with SnS, it left Tank as the only choice, unless you're RP and don't want to play group Content, for Tank you can go with Dragonknight or Warden
    Jack of all trades. Master of at least one.
    -
    Àrës - Magicka Dragonknight (EP)
    Persephónē - Magicka Warden (EP)
    Athēna - Magicka Templar (EP)
    Hādēs - Magicka Necromancer (EP)
    Hërmës - Runner Troll (EP)
  • majorana
    majorana
    ✭✭
    For PvE I'd say dragonknight, you can follow this build for starting, later on if you decide to become a pve tank, Nord dk tanks are very well optimized or if wish to be a pve dps you can do that too.
    For PvP I'd suggest warden but that is largely personal preference.
  • taupe_agile

For more help we need to know what aspect you want to do. PvE, PvP?
    Both. First only PvE during leveling and at the end PvE and PvP.

casparian wrote: »
    Note that your only option in group content if you want to use sword and shield is to play a tank. In solo content like questing, anything goes, but if you’re playing group dungeons sword and shield is only viable on the party tank.
    So, using shield means automatically playing as a tank ?
    It wasn't my primary goal. In my mind, I'm looking for a warrior with good survivability. So using a shield can be useful. And leather armor for the mobility and stamina bonus it give.

Playing a tank disturb me because it's a special role in game and dedicated for PvE.
    Can I play a tank both in PvE an PvP ?

I'm a RP player and I want to create something who can be useful in all the aspect of the game but with coherent style.

• Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    in leather armor
    Note that any armor weight can be made to take any appearance. You can make anything look like leather armor through the outfit system.

As to class choice, I’d recommend stamina sorcerer, stamina nightblade, or stamina Templar. Those will be the classes that most feel like warriors relying on weapons.

I dare say Alcast wouldn't agree with the bolded statement. Neither would I:
    https://alcasthq.com/eso-solo-dragonknight-sb-and-bow-build-pve/
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
  • yRaven
    yRaven
    ✭✭✭✭
    Watchdog wrote: »
    in leather armor

I dare say Alcast wouldn't agree with the bolded statement. Neither would I:
    https://alcasthq.com/eso-solo-dragonknight-sb-and-bow-build-pve/

Sounds nice if he's not going through Veteran DLC Content or Trials
    Jack of all trades. Master of at least one.
    -
    Àrës - Magicka Dragonknight (EP)
    Persephónē - Magicka Warden (EP)
    Athēna - Magicka Templar (EP)
    Hādēs - Magicka Necromancer (EP)
    Hërmës - Runner Troll (EP)
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's what I use for more casual play, including dungeons and overland content.
    Self buffed, no need for expensive potions: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=82439
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • taupe_agile
    Ok, thank you for all your answers.
  • Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay... so right off the bat, the logical choice for a 1H&S Nord is to go full tank (this would require wearing Heavy Armor).

Since your idea is not to tank, the Nord/1H&S/medium armor combo is viable, but only in PvP, and even then I think HA would outperform MA.

If your idea is that 1H&S will improve your survivability as a damage dealer, you are mistaken. Apart from a little more Armor you get, all the passives from this skill line only benefit your blocking - a think damage dealers generally don't do a lot, and tanks do all the time.
    While blocking, you are unable to perform light and heavy attacks, which are a very big chunk of your damage per second output.

So if you hate the idea of tanking, my suggestion would be to change your playstyle into Two Handed and use the Brawler skill (morph of Cleave) that gives you some nice shield when you damage something with it. This is very good in PvE, and is often used, however, Nord is not a typical damage dealing race for PvE.
    As for PvP, Nord is better suited, and can use 1H&S, mostly for the really powerful ultimate, usually also accompanied with Two Handed as secondary (or primary) weapon, whereas in PvE Two Handed and Bow are a common combo.

If you still have trouble surviving, even after using Brawler, I can suggest the Briarheart set shich can be bought for gold, and is Medium armor. It will drastically improve your solo capabilites.
    Edited by Dubhliam on November 28, 2019 11:40AM
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
  • Rory_FightingToFifty
    I think the answers you’re getting are all more aimed at vet end content, and maybe based on your question you’re more of a beginner? So maybe you’re more asking what playstyle to get from a Nord in the various classes. A Nord stam build in each class would be kinda:

DK: a super tanky brawler. Level both medium and heavy armor, but RP in 5+ pieces of medium for the dps. Your other bar can be any of the physical weapons. You can be a fire and stone warrior, using a decent blend of weapon and class skills. Damage is good...not a super tricky build.

Templar: IMO, plays pretty close to stam dk, inclined to in-your-face brawls. Stamplars have a more diverse tool kit than DKs, so probably a little easier to build a damage 1H bar. Repentance is a super skill that will keep their resource pool full.

Sorc: might not seem so, but these also make excellent in your face warriors. The biggest drawback is that they won’t use 80% of the class skills at all, so there are less setup options. However, the ones they do use are really useful...you get a buff, heal, a powerful AOE and resource management, then look to weapons skills to fill them out.

Necro: I’m really enjoying my stam necro lately. Huge burst damage...fun to play. They have a ton of stam options from class skills, so I could see a lot of 1H bars that would work well.

NB: this presents a very different playstyle, but would be viable for a stam warrior. High damage, good resource management, lots of options and a decent class tool kit. An issue w 1H is having abilities that pump out enough damage, but I think a NB 1H bar with surprise attack and killers blade would do great.

Warden: I love my stam warden. This might be the one that makes me feel toughest. It has a really good balance where I don’t feel I’m struggling in any major area...damage is good, management is doable, heals are awesome, the damage I get from the bugs is amazing.

I don’t know if that helps...class preference is subjective and stam builds in any of them can be fun. Given that you really want to sword and board, I think maybe a class that offers a good class toolkit to round out your bar, in which case I’m thinking start with warden or necromancer depending on whether you’re a warrior of the light or dark.
  • azjuwelz
    azjuwelz
    ✭✭✭✭
    The most important thing in all PVE content with 1 hand + shield is to be aware that the 1st skill in this weapon line, "Puncture," taunts the enemy. If you taunt the boss away from the tank in a dungeon, you're going to become very unpopular very, very fast.

From UESP website: "One Hand and Shield is one of the six weapon skills available in Elder Scrolls Online. Skills in this line focus on damage mitigation and various methods of stunning or controlling enemies."

So just know that using a shield with a weapon in this game is about blocking damage, which is the role of a tank.
    Xbox-NA
    Guildmaster of Nightmothers Deadly Deals

PVE/PVP Stamblade: Ylandra Silverthorn
    PVE Magwarden healer: Raw'zl Dah Zel
    PVE DK Tank: Greta Feuerwerk
    PVP StamDK: Helga Feuerwerk
    PVP Necro Healer: Dratha Helbain
    PVE Magcro: Dorian Fey
    PVE Magblade: Arivssa Thaoral
    PVE Magsorc: Eldara Birchwood
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can always go two hander front bar with a sword shield back bar. That works with a lot of SS builds. I find dual wield is also a good option.

Since you are going the 'rp' method of builds, there are a few questions that I'd like to ask myself whenever I try to make a viable solo / dungeon build.

What's the theme of the build?

Is it a holy 'stand your ground' warrior? An earthy, poison based knight? Or perhaps a mobile, teleporting storm wielding gladiator?

Would I use this char for pve or pvp?

I believe this was answered. Both pvp and pve builds will be different, even up to their gearsets and stats distribution.

Would this be for solo or team play?

Another way to look at it is that are you in a group most of the time or are you soloing most of the content you are playing? Builds differ if it is in a group or if you are solo. When solo, you'd like to get all the available buffs and debuffs if possible whereas in a group, you can rely on each other for buffs and debuffs. For eg, if you are dps and you have a tank friend, then it works that you friend debuffs the enemy with breach and fracture, allowing you to take off a skill that gives you that. Or perhaps it is a healer friend that provides minor berserk so that you dont have to put it in.

Most importantly, because of how the game system works, sword and shield are primarily for tanking. However, with the recent changes, such as the Bash skill being a spammable attack for SS, you can work around not having puncture to give you the fracture or breach buff needed.

Hope this helps.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

I want to play a Nord man warrior in leather armor with a sword and a shield and using stamina. Magicka doesn't interest me.
    Which class is the most suitable ?

Thanks.

Personally I love my med armor 2h warden.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Spearpoint
    Spearpoint
    ✭✭✭
    @taupe_agile Did you figure out what class you wanted to play?
    Arinwyn ~ Cute Wood Elf Archer
    Wardena ~ Frost Wardeness [Died alongside Arctic Blast]
    Dry Spell ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ
    Dark Heart of Skyrim 🍺
    Bomblebee ~ cya'll out there
    Bouncing Betty ~ Front Toward Enemy
    Spearpoint ~ Jab Them With The Pointy End
    Six Feet Above ~ Reapertime!
    Bisolar Disorder - Bright & Moody
    Django Unleashed ~ Mr. Nordic Bather's Towel
    Master Angler ~ Struggles With Ichthyophobia
    Ichthyophobia ~ Secretely Dreams of Becoming a Master Angler
    Lol Brb

"Today we make our stand. Today we take back the Ruby Throne, which is ours by ancient right and the blessings of the Divines. Stand with us." — Queen Ayrenn