The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Why Does ESO Not Feel Like Skyrim? (MMO vs RPG)

• Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In Skyrim it actually feels like you’re the main character but in ESO it’s hard to feel that way since there’s many people running around.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don’t want it to be Skyrim.

Flame on
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Certain dungeons in The Rift and Eastmarch feel like Skyrim well enough. Op is wrong.

Besides, the combat in ESO is way more involving. The quests in Skyrim are loads better. Play both. Lol.
  • GraphicArtistYT
    GraphicArtistYT
    ✭✭✭
    Rip ESO
  • Vhozek
    Vhozek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    whitecrow wrote: »
    Well, the main thing is that nothing stays dead.

I wish a different type of enemy spawned in the place where you killed one. How would that make sense for delves? Well, it could go from bandits to goblins as if to say the goblins heard it was cleared out and they moved in. When you kill the goblins they get replaced by a different faction like necromancers or ashlanders.
    𝗡𝗼𝘁 𝘀𝗼𝗿𝗿𝘆, 𝗺𝗼𝗱𝘀. 𝗙𝗿𝗲𝗲 𝗕𝗶𝗿𝗱 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴.
  • madeeh91rwb17_ESO
    madeeh91rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well...
    Thank you very much everybody for your value-able input.
    There are loads of very insightful comments, I've read them all.

The reason I made this thread was just to educated myself, in the game design department. Mainly to know the line between MMORPG and RPG.
    Even tough I loved Skyrim with passion, I have't played it since 2013. And play ESO regularly, (For PvP)

But it seems that line between MMO and RPG is not really established.
    And my belief that they could've created a proper hybrid, game of the year, has only gotten stronger.
    I'll make another thread detailing what I've had in my mind since 2015.
  • DuckInRealLife
    DuckInRealLife
    ✭✭✭
    But it seems that line between MMO and RPG is not really established.
    And my belief that they could've created a proper hybrid, game of the year, has only gotten stronger.
    I'll make another thread detailing what I've had in my mind since 2015.

I mean while there is RPG elements, It feels better than trying to roleplay in Skyrim, cause I'm talking to an actual person not a brick wall of an NPC.
  • nickl413
    nickl413
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seems like a lot of people think the question was "what's the difference between Skyrim and ESO?" The question was about the feel of the games. The differences are obvious and most are related to the fact that one is an MMO and the other is single player. We know this. But there were some aspects of Skyrim that gave it a certain feel that I think could have been incorporated into ESO. For me the two different styles of questing stands out the most.

In Skyrim you actually feel important, like you're needed. Like you alone are the only person in Tamriel that is fit for this task. And choices actually matter. And the NPC quest givers are more active and often move with you. Skyrim had better dialogue and better voice acting. It was like being in a movie. A choose your own adventure movie.

In ESO most quests have that "why me" feel. Anybody can run over there and fetch this and fetch that and come back. The NPCs usually just stand there and watch while I do all the work. It seems like ESO was originally going for something more like Skyrim but abandoned it early on. You can see it in the original tutorial quest and the rest of the harborage quests.

I can only think of one instance in ESO where your choices actually matter and ESO did a horrible job with it. It's the ending of the Mage's Guild main quest where you either get 2 skill points or save Valaste.

• Heyodude
    Heyodude
    ✭✭✭
    its an mmo not a single player rpg. You cant make one into the other, i dont see why people are so obsessed with having an entire game and not being content with its genre.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heyodude wrote: »
    its an mmo not a single player rpg. You cant make one into the other, i dont see why people are so obsessed with having an entire game and not being content with its genre.

Fallout 76 is an mmo, yet the combat feels very much like fallout 4 (except for vats). Looking at it played on YouTube it is not always clear which game is which.

But Skyrim’s combat and eso’s are vastly different.

Just saying things are different because one is an mmo and the other is not is not really a sufficient answer.

The creators of eso chose not to make it look like Skyrim, probably because it was cheaper to use a different game engine. That is basically the answer I feel.
  • craybest
    craybest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think you meant more about the "feeling" of the game, right?
    the soundtrack is very different. skyrim has a lot of some kind of chill out music and more abstract. while eso has more classical epic music, with lots of strings and choirs. music alone can make a big difference in the feel of media, videogames and movies for instance.
    skills are much more restricted, you can't just learn what you want. you have strict classes, and that limits a lot, but also makes it easier for those who don't know how to build up from scratch.
    you feel much less "alone in the world" because of other players and that also changes a lot about the feel of the game.
    quests always work in hubs instead of sending you yo the other side of thr world to do them, (an approach i prefer much more, i dont like the quesg hub type of quests) but at least they0re interesting.
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Because maybe they started development of ESO before Skyrim was even released???
    Huzzah!!
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • worrallj
    worrallj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP you spoke to my heart. I haven't read all responses, I got tired of reading variations on "Dont you realize ESO is a different game than Skyrim?" And "Your wrong for looking for that experience in an mmo." I'm with you OP.

I've been a player off and on since launch, and I fully agree they could have imbued it with more of the rpg vibe while retaining mmo viability. Here's where I think the differences are most felt.

1) In Skyrim you mainly interact with the world, in ESO you often interacting more with the game interface than the environment, unless you go way out of your way not to.. This might be unavoidable in a competitive online game, but I'm unconvinced it has to be so blatant. For example, instead of opening a group finder (interface), why not have an NPC interaction (environment) do the same task. The simplest & least inspired version of this: talk to the undaunted quest giver, who could act like an expedition outfitter and match you up with party members. There are many places that kind of thing comes up.

2) ESO enemies are less organically placed.
    In Skyrim enemies were always someplace doing something in a way that gave you more of an impression that they were a living breathing part of the world. And it helped that when they died all their stuff was there to loot (like @vestahls says below) and they stayed dead.
    ESO is very uneven with this. Sometimes it's well done, but it's much more common in ESO to see mobs scattered about like mobile loot boxes with no purpose of their own, continually respawning.
    I think if ESO had been much more instance/dungeon focused, with enemies in overland far less common, this could have been partially addressed. This doesn't seem like it'd be that hard since dungeon crawls are already such a core part of the game. Vestahls had some good points here:
    vestahls wrote: »
    Another thing that was a disappointment was that in ESO you can't loot all that a dead NPC was carrying. This triggers me to this day. Doesn't matter if it's trash, I want to have the option to loot e v e r y t h i n g. I want to be able to dress my character like a random bandit, or like the coolest mage I just defeated, or try on a normal peasant's clothes. No, collectibles don't count, I want to earn it from NPCs.

And NPC behaviour is much less realistic. Everyone is always at the shop, the town is always full of people, no matter the hour. It was nice how in Skyrim, NPCs would go to bed and so on, the towns at night really had a nice mood to them.

Speaking of NPCs, I also liked how you can just start dialogue and retain full control of the camera and whatnot. It's kind of irritating how in ESO you suddenly have to have a closeup on the NPCs.

3) environmental lighting
    In Skyrim, the creators were much more willing to play with color and lighting to create different environments. In MMOs for whatever reason things are always uniformly bright and saturated, even in places that are supposed to be gloomy (they'll use dark colors, but you never get the ominous pallette and dim graininess you'd find in an evening in skyrim's windhelm). I guess there's market research saying that works better because every mmo does it, I have no idea why.

4) Skyrim had forking "choose your own adventure" type quest design, ESO quests are theme park style (almost all perfectly linear)
    Others have pointed this out and it bears reiterating. Orsinium was the most blatant example of this- the conflict between trinimac and malacath followers was the perfect opportunity to give the player the chance to choose sides, but instead we were just errand boys. They tried to address this with "shards" or something early on but I guess it was technically too challenging. Even so I don't think the quest writing needs to be quite so linear. Even if the world has to end up in the same state it'd be fun to take different paths to get there.

6) no kill cams.
    Obviously, we all miss kill cams. I assume this is something they would have done if it were doable, but who knows.

• Barta057
    Barta057
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one that played the Elder Scrolls before the fifth game? Everyone seems to only remember that Skyrim exists....

• worrallj
    worrallj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    Heyodude wrote: »

Fallout 76 is an mmo, yet the combat feels very much like fallout 4 (except for vats). Looking at it played on YouTube it is not always clear which game is which.

But Skyrim’s combat and eso’s are vastly different.

Just saying things are different because one is an mmo and the other is not is not really a sufficient answer.

The creators of eso chose not to make it look like Skyrim, probably because it was cheaper to use a different game engine. That is basically the answer I feel.

Totally! Playing fallout 76 can be rough from bugs and stuff, but and its not a true mmo since the world only has a couple dozen people at a time, but conceptually I think it's very close to what people want in terms of an online game that plays like a single player rpg.
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t want to necessarily disagree with the stuff in this thread...but...

If you would play first person on a machine with good graphics (xbox 1 x for me), and turn off everything you can from your HUD and generally make play choices for immersion, then you would be surprised how close this game feels to a true elder scrolls single player game. Having played other mmos, I think they did fantastic on just this issue granted all the ways an MMO had to be diffetent
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barta057 wrote: »
    Am I the only one that played the Elder Scrolls before the fifth game? Everyone seems to only remember that Skyrim exists....

Nope. I started TES with Arena. I've played every game as it released. I started ESO because it looks like I might not live long enough to play TES VI.... and because friends were having a lot of fun.

Truthfully, the game itself reminds me of all the previous games. It's "brighter" visually than Skyrim SLE (which is why I don't have any use for SSE, not to mention the CC crap - no, not ever going there) but that doesn't mean I don't feel at home. What makes me not feel at home is the whole faction garbage - but of course, even Skyrim does that too (I don't give it the time of day in Skyrim, as it's a SPMR game). I don't have any real interest in "war" in games I play - WAY too much of that IRL....
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just an entirely different game set in the same universe, like TES Legends or that new mobile game with chest timers. ESO has many flaws, but I don't think that not being Skyrim 2 is one of them.
    That being said, I'm one of those people who think that Skyrim kinda sucks compared to Morrowind.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭