The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PTS Update 24 - Feedback Thread for Nightblade

• Lybal
    Lybal
    ✭✭✭
    A step in the good direction for Nb in pvp with Grim Focus that got his delay removed.

Still a lot of stuff to fix for Nb, but I'm happy to see this kind of changes atleast.
    Out of this game, tired of horrible performance and a lot of changes.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very happy about grim focus I dare even say I’m actually looking forward to this patch 😊
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very happy about grim focus I dare even say I’m actually looking forward to this patch 😊

Ofc if they will fix the bug where every dot tick pulls you out of cloak.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Grandma
    Grandma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    now that relentless lasts a literal full 60 seconds, and there's less dots this next patch, nb is actually looking to be a pretty cool class to play. I saw a few parses already well over 80k on PTS on magblade. I've started setting up my current dunmer magblade for next patch as a result. I like that twisting path now performs on par with executes, what the hell happened to setting a standard for aoe dots vs single target dots vs spammables? i guess zos threw that out the window already but I won't complain if magblades are good again.
    GH / 3/04/2021 / Elemental Catalyst Necromancer
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grim focus delay being removed is awesome! after getting the cast time to soul harvest, this makes the burst combo sooooooooo much more reliable. Not to mention the 40 second base duration.
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • Szende
    Szende
    ✭✭✭
    Im so happy about grimm focus buff. Little Kyra feels the love. Thank you ^^
    PC-EU
    Kyra Leith - PvP Stamina Nightblade
  • ThePhantomThorn
    ThePhantomThorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Omg I cried when I read these patch notes.
    A good start from zos. Dragonhold is looking great.
    I think all nb needs now is no ult cast times, and minor berserk instead of the heal on grim focus. Sure there are a few other things but these are the main points.
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They delay removal is really strong.A sure hit after mass hysteria is extremly reliable and makes magblades waaay less clunky.
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Patch 5.2.4: I'm still not entirely happy with how crappy Nightblade ultimates are compared to other generic skill lines, but the changes to Grim Focus and Twisting Path are a step in the right direction.
  • MusCanus
    MusCanus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So they're fixing one of the many things they've broken. So this is basically a step backward. If now backward is the right direction, they shouldn't have been allowed near the game balance (or even the lack of it) to begin with.
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just revert everything you have done back to say.... Morrowind
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MusCanus wrote: »
    So they're fixing one of the many things they've broken. So this is basically a step backward. If now backward is the right direction, they shouldn't have been allowed near the game balance (or even the lack of it) to begin with.

I'm relatively new to the game, so I've only really known NBs as being the "red-headed stepchild" of ESO. But looking at past forum discussions it seems like NB skills used to be like all the other classes are right now — useful & did more than one or two things (i.e. not tedious & fun to use.) But then the devs decided to gut skills & take out "redundancies" while at the same time adding said "redundancies" to other classes — and duplicating NB skills for general use by all other classes (while adding improvements to the generic versions).

Do I have that right? Because if so, that was calculated & it would appear that they want the class to under-perform for some reason. And if that's the case I'm not going to wait around for them to "fix" what they plainly don't see as being broken. I don't know much about other MMORPGs, but I have to imagine most are not openly hostile to one class while elevating [most of] the others to absurd levels (by comparison.)
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Langeston wrote: »

I'm relatively new to the game, so I've only really known NBs as being the "red-headed stepchild" of ESO. But looking at past forum discussions it seems like NB skills used to be like all the other classes are right now — useful & did more than one or two things (i.e. not tedious & fun to use.) But then the devs decided to gut skills & take out "redundancies" while at the same time adding said "redundancies" to other classes — and duplicating NB skills for general use by all other classes (while adding improvements to the generic versions).

Do I have that right? Because if so, that was calculated & it would appear that they want the class to under-perform for some reason. And if that's the case I'm not going to wait around for them to "fix" what they plainly don't see as being broken. I don't know much about other MMORPGs, but I have to imagine most are not openly hostile to one class while elevating [most of] the others to absurd levels (by comparison.)

Yes you are right. Main issue here is that sorcerer, or more correctly - magicka sorcerer is most popular spec in the game by huge margin. There were ton of polls, estimate is at least 35% of players who consider magicka sorcerer dps their main, from 20+ of available specs. Nightblades (mostly stamblades) were closest contender to magsorcer in PVP and best dps class in PVE before Elsweyr, and though popular their numbers are much less then magsorcs.

So ZOS did what majority demanded - nerfed the hell out of nightblade. Somehow those nerfs backfired in magblade more then in stamblade. In parallel, ZOS tried to force sorcerers to switch to other magicka class - magplar, which was blatantly buffed in several patches in a row until U24. Magplar is crazy good right now. Almost all abilities are useful, passives are good and you literally can "play the way you want" with magplar being best PVE magdps, arguably best healer and best PVP class in U23. Only area where templar is meh is PVE tanking, but tanks (and especially templar tanks) are very small minority... but I guess ZOS plan to force magsorcs to became magplars didn't work, population and end game activity abruptly dropped as soon as previous patch notes were leaked with huge amount of nerfs to magsorc's favourite abilities and sets.

Even this patch was a stealth buff to magsorcs with passive pets damage untouched and OP ball of lightning PVP ability in 5.2.2. But thanks to aware community both magsorcs PVE dps ability and BoL crazy power were noticed and toned down, so next patch magsorc most probably will still be best or one of the best classes, but with only small advantage over others, which is best outcome because nobody wants to look at empty rosters, and without sorcs there are too many free slots.

giphy-downsized.gif

• MusCanus
    MusCanus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [...] it would appear that they want the class to under-perform for some reason.
    So ZOS did what majority demanded - nerfed the hell out of nightblade.

That sums it. Most of NBs nerfs were because of pvp. Noobs cried because they were getting stomped with ease, and some are still crying for cloak nerf and what not, imagine that. But guess what, you can still dominate bad players with NB, 1v1 or 1vX. As with any other class. The only difference is that before you had a decent chance against good players of other classes and now you have none. At least if you want to use you class skills and not the generic ones.
    Edited by MusCanus on October 17, 2019 11:14AM
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [...] it would appear that they want the class to under-perform for some reason.
    So ZOS did what majority demanded - nerfed the hell out of nightblade.

That sums it. Most of NBs nerfs were because of pvp. Noobs cried because they were getting stomped with ease, and some are still crying for cloak nerf and what not, imagine that. But guess what, you can still dominate bad players with NB, 1v1 or 1vX. As with any other class. The only difference is that before you had a decent chance against good players of other classes and now you have none. At least if you want to use you class skills and not the generic ones.

Go take an look in the TEMPLARS feedback thread look how they lie to get their class buffed its sickening that an community of players gots to go that far to destroy an class all the while 😢 that their class aint as good as being said 😆 😆

[Minor edit for bait.]
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on October 17, 2019 8:39PM
  • ExistingRug61
    ExistingRug61
    ✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    HaruKamui wrote: »
    I don’t see how you can think magblades aren’t underpowered.

For class skills a lot are less powerful than guild skill abilities. I’d say the only good magblade abilities are cloak, lotus fan, buff abilities like phantasmal escape and impale..: though impale is mainly good in pve. Most builds I come up with are how to get class passives and use the least amount of magblade abilities possible.

I may have adapted and been playing magblade for too long that when I think of it getting the suggested buffs it seems to be too good. I'm definitely not saying im 100% right though and im just voicing out my opinions. I might have been desensitized to the clunkiness. xD

I will certainly say though, that to perform well with magblades is soooo much harder that magsorcs and magplars. It feels like a vary high skillcap toon that feels a bit like feast or famine. I have those bad days as well, and when I do I switch to magplar and magsorc.

Maybe that's where the complaints come from because offense and defense-wise I really think they're okay.

I see 5 NB issues:

1. The damage bonus from stealth or invisibility sucks for the class. Complaints about the class always revolve around gank potential, and the passive’s the reason. Whenever a NB ability’s buffed to parity with other classes it’s nerfed because it can be used to gank. Then even now there are complaints because you can’t nerf snipe, dizzy swing and onslaught without effecting other classes so NBs stay being complained about with garbage class abilities.

2. Mitigation is good, but it isn’t backed up with self healing. This again favours a stealth playstyle. If you only need the mitigation to escape onslaught and defile attacks then the mitigation is okay, if you want to brawl forget about it.

3. The class has no burst abilities. Merciless can hit hard and do a lot of damage but you can’t stack it on top of another ability for burst. This is key for pvp, compared to a sorc or stamwarden who can time 3+ abilities to hit at once merciless damage is low. That’s why reducing damage and being off the GCD is a good idea imo, combined with the stealth passive nerf NBs would be comparable to other classes.

4. NB damage attacks suck, they’re undertuned across the board. It’s like they’ve been balanced expecting the stealth passive to be in effect. The most effective magblade damage specs I’ve found uses onslaught and prox det or force pulse and elemental weapon. For healing it’s using support abilities with NB buffs. Even Stamblades abuse the heck out of snipe with the cloak buff or cloak - dizzy - executioner. Since the class is missing any form of damage ability stacking using weapon or guild abilities is better. Just get the class passives and use the least amount of class abilities possible.

5. The class is missing any form of off-stat recovery. Sure there’s the health, mag and stam recovery passive but it isn’t enough for pvp. You can get a steady stream of stamina back playing a MagDK or MagWarden, for a NB with a 4.5k cost to break free you’re going to run out of stamina.

You can still do okay as a magblade but that isn’t the point really. It’s more about why play a magblade when you can play another class and just be better. You have to REALLY like the theme or cloak to stick with it.

You know, when I first read your point #1 I was like "but that's part of NB identity" but on further consideration and reading the post I changed my mind and agree that the stealth passive may be hampering the class, especially non-stealth builds.

I wonder if this passive could be reworked in such a way that it also helps address your point #3 with NB lack of delayed burst abilities. I'm fine with NB not having such an ability as that is part of other classes identities, but instead NB needs some other way to set up to deal a lot of burst in one or two GCD, and perhaps this passive could be changed to provide that. The key thing would be that it needs to be a significant bonus for a short time but require a trigger or activation, ie: you use 1GCD to set up so that next 2GCD of abilities get buffed to do closer to 3GCD worth of damage. Could be something like a very short penetration buff or something based on certain ability usage (but not cloak/stealth).

Regarding point #2 I may be in the minority but I think that cloak-NBs probably shouldn't have strong burst heal. This can be part of the compromise of having the ability to cloak, as instead of simply burst healing up you have to use cloak to let your HoTs bring you back up. I quite like idea of the morph choice between shadowy disguise and dark cloak for this reason. But this means that Dark Cloak needs to be a good enough ability on its own to enable non-cloak brawler/healer/group builds, however I don't have experience on this playstyle so don't know if it actually provides that and would leave it to others to comment.

Totally agree on point #5, especially for magNB. The class toolkit pushes magNB to be at least a partially close range build, with Lotus, Concealed, Bow heal etc, which I find requires more frequent break free and roll dodge than a more ranged style build so I find the lack of off-stat regen to be problematic.

Hopefully these areas can be looked at in a future update that looks at the NB class passives/identity.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    HaruKamui wrote: »
    I don’t see how you can think magblades aren’t underpowered.

For class skills a lot are less powerful than guild skill abilities. I’d say the only good magblade abilities are cloak, lotus fan, buff abilities like phantasmal escape and impale..: though impale is mainly good in pve. Most builds I come up with are how to get class passives and use the least amount of magblade abilities possible.

I may have adapted and been playing magblade for too long that when I think of it getting the suggested buffs it seems to be too good. I'm definitely not saying im 100% right though and im just voicing out my opinions. I might have been desensitized to the clunkiness. xD

I will certainly say though, that to perform well with magblades is soooo much harder that magsorcs and magplars. It feels like a vary high skillcap toon that feels a bit like feast or famine. I have those bad days as well, and when I do I switch to magplar and magsorc.

Maybe that's where the complaints come from because offense and defense-wise I really think they're okay.

I see 5 NB issues:

1. The damage bonus from stealth or invisibility sucks for the class. Complaints about the class always revolve around gank potential, and the passive’s the reason. Whenever a NB ability’s buffed to parity with other classes it’s nerfed because it can be used to gank. Then even now there are complaints because you can’t nerf snipe, dizzy swing and onslaught without effecting other classes so NBs stay being complained about with garbage class abilities.

2. Mitigation is good, but it isn’t backed up with self healing. This again favours a stealth playstyle. If you only need the mitigation to escape onslaught and defile attacks then the mitigation is okay, if you want to brawl forget about it.

3. The class has no burst abilities. Merciless can hit hard and do a lot of damage but you can’t stack it on top of another ability for burst. This is key for pvp, compared to a sorc or stamwarden who can time 3+ abilities to hit at once merciless damage is low. That’s why reducing damage and being off the GCD is a good idea imo, combined with the stealth passive nerf NBs would be comparable to other classes.

4. NB damage attacks suck, they’re undertuned across the board. It’s like they’ve been balanced expecting the stealth passive to be in effect. The most effective magblade damage specs I’ve found uses onslaught and prox det or force pulse and elemental weapon. For healing it’s using support abilities with NB buffs. Even Stamblades abuse the heck out of snipe with the cloak buff or cloak - dizzy - executioner. Since the class is missing any form of damage ability stacking using weapon or guild abilities is better. Just get the class passives and use the least amount of class abilities possible.

5. The class is missing any form of off-stat recovery. Sure there’s the health, mag and stam recovery passive but it isn’t enough for pvp. You can get a steady stream of stamina back playing a MagDK or MagWarden, for a NB with a 4.5k cost to break free you’re going to run out of stamina.

You can still do okay as a magblade but that isn’t the point really. It’s more about why play a magblade when you can play another class and just be better. You have to REALLY like the theme or cloak to stick with it.

You know, when I first read your point #1 I was like "but that's part of NB identity" but on further consideration and reading the post I changed my mind and agree that the stealth passive may be hampering the class, especially non-stealth builds.

I wonder if this passive could be reworked in such a way that it also helps address your point #3 with NB lack of delayed burst abilities. I'm fine with NB not having such an ability as that is part of other classes identities, but instead NB needs some other way to set up to deal a lot of burst in one or two GCD, and perhaps this passive could be changed to provide that. The key thing would be that it needs to be a significant bonus for a short time but require a trigger or activation, ie: you use 1GCD to set up so that next 2GCD of abilities get buffed to do closer to 3GCD worth of damage. Could be something like a very short penetration buff or something based on certain ability usage (but not cloak/stealth).

Regarding point #2 I may be in the minority but I think that cloak-NBs probably shouldn't have strong burst heal. This can be part of the compromise of having the ability to cloak, as instead of simply burst healing up you have to use cloak to let your HoTs bring you back up. I quite like idea of the morph choice between shadowy disguise and dark cloak for this reason. But this means that Dark Cloak needs to be a good enough ability on its own to enable non-cloak brawler/healer/group builds, however I don't have experience on this playstyle so don't know if it actually provides that and would leave it to others to comment.

Totally agree on point #5, especially for magNB. The class toolkit pushes magNB to be at least a partially close range build, with Lotus, Concealed, Bow heal etc, which I find requires more frequent break free and roll dodge than a more ranged style build so I find the lack of off-stat regen to be problematic.

Hopefully these areas can be looked at in a future update that looks at the NB class passives/identity.

I always play tanky dark cloak healer builds. It used to be a fun playstyle but it’s taken a beating by changes to the game.

Lack of a self burst heal could be mitigated by being really tanky and stacking hots and shields, with enough left over to heal others and do some damage.

The dark cloak playstyle was chipped away at through changes to the class, protective nerf, onslaught, dizzy, damage buffs for other classes, pirate smelly nerf, etc... until it’s where it is now. You can keep yourself up relatively well 1v1, but against two you drop fast.

If you build for tooltip self healing you’re prone to burst. If you build for resistances you’re an onslaught away from burst. It just doesn’t work without enough cross healing from team mates, and even then any stam can just spam dizzy and you’ll run out of stamina.

I used to solo queue BGs and am in higher MMR. I concluded that the playstyle was only effective in certain group comps so rarely do BGs now outside premades.

I’ve also been getting some alts ready for the patch, and people definitely outright lie or are noobs about the strength on their classes. As a petsorc healer I have better burst then full damage glass canon magblades. It’s crazy imbalanced. I think some classes are getting buffs purely because the people who main those classes don’t know how to build their own class for pvp. That’s just one example, you can do the same thing and make really powerful builds on almost all classes except magblade if you understand the game.
    Edited by Iskiab on October 21, 2019 2:49PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Iron_Blurr
    Iron_Blurr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grim focus: feels really crappy. It previously offered up to 15% damage mitigation and it got reduced to 10%. Other than that the skill basically does nothing. The burst part of it is way too weak. When you insta cast the skill it does nothing for you until you build up stacks. Overall it doesn't feel useful to cast.

Lotus fan: why does lotus fan get aoe minor vulnerability? What does the stamina morph get again? Oh absolutely nothing besides having it cost stamina instead of mag. Personaly i think minor vulnerability should be on mark target instead of a gap closer. The whole point of mark target is to pick one target for the group to focus down. Minor vulnerability is a very powerful debuff and im not sure it should be available as an aoe skill so easily.
    The stamina morph needs to do something else to keep up with the mag morph.

Incapacitating strike: Feels awkward to use. An ultimate is supposed to feel powerful and game changing or unique. This one just feels weak and pointless.
    Edited by Iron_Blurr on October 21, 2019 4:45PM
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please please 🙏 buff concealed weapon we melee magblade may lurk in the shadows but we exist and concealed weapon has needed a buff for a long time.