Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Player Made Homes!

DV_Cypher
DV_Cypher
So along with most MMO's I think comes the desire to be able to buy and customize player homes. I figured I would bring it up now just for the hell of it to gauge possible interest in this concept!
I personally look for a house to contain things such as customized rooms, trophy space, workbenches, storage, and that sort of thing. In a game like ESO that has so much room for customization and things like that I feel like this would be a welcome addition to the game!

Thoughts?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Albert Einstein
  • nzblustone
    nzblustone
    ✭✭
    I don't think this is the sort of thing that can be done via an add-on or mod. It needs to be a part of the game...
    Founder of Imperial Traders Guild [NA] [PC-mac] • Guild WebsiteESO Forum Thread

Auron Lightblaze [Templar Heals] • Auron-khul [DK Tank] • Auronair [Sorc DPS] • Auronkha [NB DPS] • Brother Auron [Warden TBD]
  • drowadin
    drowadin
    ✭✭
    No thx go play sim city
  • Inkedbettie
    Inkedbettie
    ✭✭
    Probably not the correct forums, unless you're taking the house as an ADDON bonus room or something....
  • jdkorreckpreub18_ESO
    Homes are for characters that are settled in one area. You're a wandering adventurer, hero, etc. Why would it even make sense for you to buy a house? Not to mention that the only actual use for houses are extra bank space, and it's easier at that point to just add bank space.
  • LyricalMURDER
    LyricalMURDER
    ✭✭✭
    Homes are for characters that are settled in one area. You're a wandering adventurer, hero, etc. Why would it even make sense for you to buy a house? Not to mention that the only actual use for houses are extra bank space, and it's easier at that point to just add bank space.

I don't think that's necessarily true. 1. Wandering adventurers can indeed own houses, they might just leave it for a few months at a time. 2. Extra bank space isn't the only function, it's also aesthetic and social.

Though, everyone is right. This isn't something that can be done by add-on, not even close. It'd have to be an added functionality inherent in the game, which to be honest we may see, in the future.
  • Eliran
    Eliran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone likes the idea I bet but I guess we won't see it any time soon sadly ... :/

That said, be ready to wait at least 1 or 2 years.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not so sure about player homes. As has been said, it seems like we're more the wandering type, though it would be a good tool for roleplayers.

Personally I'm more interested in seeing guild halls - there's already precedence for these with the mage's and fighter's guilds.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • WhiteQueen
    WhiteQueen
    ✭✭✭
    "Wandering types?" You might be forgetting that the Elder Scrolls have traditionally made homes available in the single player games. Multiple homes in fact.
  • jdkorreckpreub18_ESO
    SP ES games had people in one province. Not the whole world. But once again, the homes in the SP ES games were used for a place to stash loot I wanted to keep but didn't want to carry.

To those that didn't understand when I said that homes are just bank space. Homes have no combat or story benefit. They will do nothing for you in pve or pvp. They can't have a role in the story as not everyone will want to buy one. In short they are boring cosmetics that are just glorified banks. The developers should concentrate on real content, bug fixes, new monsters rather than such boring cosmetic only content.
    Edited by jdkorreckpreub18_ESO on April 6, 2014 8:14PM
  • PatrickSwagzy
    drowadin wrote: »
    No thx go play sim city

This
  • StickmanRyan
    StickmanRyan
    Soul Shriven
    What about a guild house? Gives members a place to meet up and could also have storage facilities.
  • Wykkyd
    Wykkyd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None of this is possible in an ADDON and TESO doesn't allow "MODS".
  • Brank
    Brank
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of player houses. While I agree the Devs have bigger fish to fry right now, I think it would be welcome in, say, the first (or later) expansion.

My vision of homes in ESO is they take say 3-5 doors/houses in a city and make them into tiers of houses that are proportionate in price/size/luxury/storage space.
    ie cheapest one is a shack, small storage space, all they way up to mansion with trophy room, crafting tables and large storage space.
    They would be instanced, and there should be enough variety, in enough cities that there wouldn't be a huge stack of people at the door loading all the time, and also so people could pick a "home town". Perhaps even charge rent/taxes as a gold sink.

Same with guild halls, large building in each (or some, but more than 1) city, which is instanced. When you enter, for example, you'd select the guild (from those you have membership in) that you want to enter as.

Having a player home is MOST DEFINITELY Elder Scrolls (i remember in morrowind taking Ahnassi's House... she wasn't using it :p)
    In the later games it was actually a fully implemented feature (by popular demand).

And finally, while I do agree limited inventory space requires prods people to make more "choices" in terms of the fact that you can't effectively collect all the resources or horde mountains of gear, people are just going to make mules to work around it that fact.
    We may as well embrace that if the people want more inv space, their gonna take it. With 8 char slots, that's a possibility for 900+ item slots.
    but for those who don't wanna "work around" the game, we have 200+.

Food for thought.
    Edited by Brank on April 8, 2014 8:16PM
  • Brank
    Brank
    ✭✭✭
    Givin' this post a love tap
  • Vampiresbane
    Vampiresbane
    ✭✭
    You won't see housing any time soon, if ever in ESO. Time-wise, you're probably better off taking a look at a game like Camelot Unchained:
    http://camelotunchained.com/en/category/foundationalprinciple/?orderby=date&order=asc
    (Foundation Principle #2 might be where you want to start, but #1 is good as well.)
    ...which promises to have housing from day 1 of launch. (CU will be out end of 2015.)
    Edited by Vampiresbane on April 9, 2014 5:02PM
  • Jnutter819
    @jdkorreckpreub18_ESO:
    The developers should concentrate on real content, bug fixes, new monsters rather than such boring cosmetic only content.

I agree. That said, it would be nice if there was a way to port to a home (perhaps in the currently non-playable areas) that other people could only find if invited.

Also, bank space gets expensive very quickly. This could provide an option (perhaps with similar function to horse upgrades) to increase bank space at a reliable rate, rather than having to pay an increasingly crazy amount of money for bank space. In addition, perhaps it could have an area where you could put things that are inaccessible through any means other than walking up to them (unlike banks, which are available in many large cities and allow access to materials at crafting stations) wherein you could display items (especially trophies, which I currently see as simple wastes of inventory/bank space) without having much access to them. In other words, it could be long-term storage rather than mid-term storage (the bank, which I have practically filled with crafting materials) or short-term storage (the buyback tab, which I use when I need inventory space to deconstruct something).
  • ayethe
    ayethe
    Soul Shriven
    i think housing would be great gives you a feeling of owning a part of (where ever you are) of being part of it and also it nice to have a place where you can read your books without the screen flashing orange
  • Dublicious
    Dublicious
    ✭✭✭
    So much negativity. You know it's bad when a troll (me) is turned off by it (your trolling). I think the only relevant argument is the one pointing out that this probably needs to be a game feature. Unfortunately, since others have to play in the same world as you, the game can't be open for you to edit as you see fit.
    drowadin wrote: »
    No thx go play sim city

This

There were player homes in Sim City?

To those that didn't understand when I said that homes are just bank space. Homes have no combat or story benefit. They will do nothing for you in pve or pvp. They can't have a role in the story as not everyone will want to buy one. In short they are boring cosmetics that are just glorified banks. The developers should concentrate on real content, bug fixes, new monsters rather than such boring cosmetic only content.

A couple things that also don't have combat or story benefit are pets or /clap,etc. commands. Yet there they are because people want them. Note that this is an MMORPG. As others stated there are RP/social/aesthetic uses for such structures in addition to their use as a glorified bank. Since we're all forced onto the same "Megaserver" we're stuck mashing our playing styles together (rp vs non-rp).

Have a nice day and happy Covenant/Pact hunting!
    ESO Username: @Dublicious
    Title: Splitter of Hairs

ESO Characters:

Claricea Starlinor Vet 14Sorcerer DPS -- Woodworker/Blacksmith/Clothier -- Provisioner
    Liquado Starlinor Vet 4 DK Tank, alchemist
    Some low level Templar and NB...
  • nbuckman25ub17_ESO
    This would be a great addition to the game, I have heard the SWTOR is releasing something like this, but they are apartments, but fully customized, so I believe that Bethesda could do it, just put them in different instances and remove enemy spawn around the house in said instance.
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I brought this up during beta and was informed by tech support that they did not have any plans at this time to implement player homes.

For my part, I have adapted to community living. As leader of an Argonian guild (Serpents of Ebonheart), I have taken up residence in Bal Foyen. Here I can be with my "people" and it has everything you might want in terms of crafting and services. The cooking fire is not advertised, but there is one in the hut behind the chef out in the common area. Close to a wayshrine too!

I have noticed several communities in the game with similar set ups. Some cities are just awful and you have to run all over to get stuff done, but others are like Bal Foyen. Just find a place that is easy to get to and has what you want and claim it as your in game home!

Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!