The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Something strange going on with Dragons...

• Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    de_la_Dude wrote: »
    Bug or not it was a nice surprise IMO

Until you go to repair.

• daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgha_Kul wrote: »
    Ya, the tail swipe I usually see coming, as with most of the attacks, but there's a few that you either don't have time to avoid, or can't avoid (such as the quick fireballs he spits out that track you, and do 10s of thousands of damage per pulse, unblockable, unsoakable and impossible to heal through). Attacks that are guaranteed to kill you no matter what you do are not any fun because there's no game involved in trying to survive it.
    The fire balls are very much dodgeable. They're the only ones that routinely get me on my mag Sorc main, but only because I only have enough stamina to dodge about 3x and the next fireball is going to start giving me that nasty dot. I'm also lazy and don't change my food or load out for dragons, otherwise I'm pretty sure I could solo one. Come to think of it, I might try sometime.
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »

Until you go to repair.

Just use one of those free daily log-in repair kits.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one surprise I got during the event I was riding my trusty steed towards the dragon and I heard his attack cry and fell down dead. I wasn't even in view of the dragon yet. I still had a field to cross and a small hill to climb before I would see him and another small field to cross to hit him with a stick. Only happened the one time and was kind of funny.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    AlienSlof wrote: »
    ChunkyCat wrote: »
    Who let the dragons out?

Who? Who?

Abnur Tharn did... :D

With your help.... if you hadn't answer his call to do the quest..... :D

Ummm....

Diplomatic immunity! Yeah! Just ask Ambassador Rigurt!
    Edited by Hapexamendios on October 17, 2019 12:39AM
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, since the dragons first appeared, I've been out there tanking them with comparatively little difficulty. Even my squishier characters have been able to take a hit and recover from it. However, over the last couple of nights, I've seen some strange things.

It actually happened a few weeks ago, but I didn't really pay attention to it until last night, when my Necromancer was hit by a tail swipe for nearly a million damage. I was kind of shocked to see over 900k damage in a single hit, but chalked it up to her being only L13 and not wearing any armour (which I had removed and forgot to put back on).

Tonight, my main tanky character was tanking a dragon in Elsweyr and doing his usual bit of taunting it with Ransack while maintaining Defensive Stance and healing as needed. The dragon reared up his head to do his Chomp attack, so I refreshed Defensive Stance and blocked. When it hit me, it did 315k damage. Of course, that's a oneshot kill, regardless of any defensive measures I took. Yes, I could have dodged, but I wear Thunderbug armour which requires getting hit to activate a lightning strike, and I've easily tanked the Chomp attack many times... even many times in THAT fight.

So what is going on? Is there a bug?

This has happened to me twice. I'm just guessing - but I think it may have something to do with standing behind the dragon. It stopped happening to me once I started making an effort to stay toward its front while tanking. This could just be a coincidence, though.
    Edited by Jeremy on October 17, 2019 3:33AM
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »

Until you go to repair.

Just use one of those free daily log-in repair kits.

All used up.
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »
    So, since the dragons first appeared, I've been out there tanking them with comparatively little difficulty. Even my squishier characters have been able to take a hit and recover from it. However, over the last couple of nights, I've seen some strange things.

It actually happened a few weeks ago, but I didn't really pay attention to it until last night, when my Necromancer was hit by a tail swipe for nearly a million damage. I was kind of shocked to see over 900k damage in a single hit, but chalked it up to her being only L13 and not wearing any armour (which I had removed and forgot to put back on).

Tonight, my main tanky character was tanking a dragon in Elsweyr and doing his usual bit of taunting it with Ransack while maintaining Defensive Stance and healing as needed. The dragon reared up his head to do his Chomp attack, so I refreshed Defensive Stance and blocked. When it hit me, it did 315k damage. Of course, that's a oneshot kill, regardless of any defensive measures I took. Yes, I could have dodged, but I wear Thunderbug armour which requires getting hit to activate a lightning strike, and I've easily tanked the Chomp attack many times... even many times in THAT fight.

This has happened to me twice. I'm just guessing - but I think it may have something to do with standing behind the dragon. It stopped happening to me once I started making an effort to stay toward its front while tanking. This could just be a coincidence, though.

Heh, there was one time there was some kind of asynchrony with the server, when the dragon did Fus Ro Dah while I was behind him... or at least I thought I was. The server thought he was facing me, so what I saw was the Fart of Doom.

As for the actual occasions, I've had this happen, regardless of where I'm standing. In front, beside, whatever, it makes no difference.
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Heh, there was one time there was some kind of asynchrony with the server, when the dragon did Fus Ro Dah while I was behind him... or at least I thought I was. The server thought he was facing me, so what I saw was the Fart of Doom.

As for the actual occasions, I've had this happen, regardless of where I'm standing. In front, beside, whatever, it makes no difference.

Dragon flatulence is no joke.
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, at least it was a shout and he wasn't spraying fire....
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, at least it was a shout and he wasn't spraying fire....

Which tell us that, at least so far, Taco Bell has not made it to Tamriel. There is still hope.
  • Anyron
    Anyron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragons (wyverns?) should be OP. you expect to get hit by several tons heavy tail and just to be able to block it?

It makes sense every hit is one-shot death
    Edited by Anyron on October 17, 2019 4:31PM
  • Benzux
    Benzux
    ✭✭✭✭
    GreenhaloX wrote: »
    I have not noted the numbers as you have, but I have noticed that big hits that I have been able to block in the past, have sometimes been one hitting me.

Its like the Dragon gets enraged and if you stand too close decides, enough is enough, your going down.

Personally I do not mind too much, I think the Dragons are too easy and could do with a bit of a buff.

Again.. sure during the event when there are army of peeps camped out to take on a dragon or world bosses. Try taking on a dragon by just a few peeps or your lonesome, and see how you can boast how easy things are. Now that the event is over and the hoard of peeps are not camping out, and you only have like 4-5 peeps, the dragon is a challenge. Plus, being able to rez on the spot does make thing easier. Maybe ZOS needs to make it where in the likes of world boss pits and dragons that you need another to rez you like in dungeons.

I have 2 manned the Wyverns. My friend has soloed them.

Please don't start this again. The whole "hurr durr wyverns not dragons ecksdee" argument lived and died years ago - nearly 8 years, to be precise.
    No matter the amount of limbs or other appendages, they are Dragons within the Elder Scrolls universe. Nothing else needs to be said about this.
    Edited by Benzux on October 17, 2019 5:01PM
    BenzuxGamer - Xbox One since day 1 - CP 1500+
    Guildmaster of the Sacrificial Warriors, one of the oldest and most member-orientated Guilds on the Xbox One EU Megaserver
    "Casual" player from Finland who enjoys questing and dumb builds even after well over 1000 CP levels and 4000+ hours. A fan of Argonians, Goats and Elk. Also a massive Otaku (MAL Profile).
    "Following the meta makes you a sheep. That's why I'm a goat: I go in the opposite direction and make use of the things the sheep cannot." - Me, 2019
    Characters:
    Ben-Zu - Argonian MagDK DPS - EP (Main)
    Benzuth Telvanni - Dunmer MagSorc DPS - EP
    Haknir Head-Crusher - Nord DK Tank/Stam DPS - EP
    Delves-Deepest-Depths - Argonian StamBlade DPS - EP
    Raises-The-Dead - Argonian Mag Necromancer DPS7Healer - EP (Previously a Sorc healer, RIP)
    Bthuzdir Ynzavretz - Dwemer StamSorc DPS - AD (Dunmer in-game)
    Fafnir the Dragon - Nord Stam DK DPS - EP
    Bloodmage Thalnos - Breton MagBlade DPS - DC
    Finnis Wolfheart - Bosmer Stam Warden DPS - EP
    Gwyneth - Nord Warden Tank - EP
    Kud-Wazei Xeroicas - Argonian Mag Templar DPS/Tank - EP
    Barkskin Ben-Zhu - Argonian Warden Healer - EP (Alternate version of main)
    Xal-Vakka Xeroicas - Argonian DK Healer - EP
    Jaree-Shei the Wamasu - Argonian Sorcerer Tank - EP
    Gwennen Ereloth - Snow Elf Mag Warden DPS - EP (Dunmer in-game)
    Friedrich der Grosse - Imperial Nightblade Tank - EP
    Warfarin - Altmer Nightblade Healer - EP
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FierceSam wrote: »
    Untelegraphed tail swipes, wing swipes that extend for 180 degrees and long distances and headbutts that insta kill make these fights no fun

How are they not telegraphed if you actually see the giant tail and wings move?
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • DLM
    DLM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is Elsweyr D E A D ? I understand that the event is over, but it's not like CWC that is always dead, is alive for 10 days during the celebration and is back to its normal dead state... Dragons have always been active before the event, so why is no one caring anymore suddenly? You are lucky if you find a couple of persons even at the north site.
    Edited by DLM on October 17, 2019 8:21PM
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main is a healer and, after fighting a score or so of dragons has deemed them as BS/no fun and therefore ignores them now. Here's why:

1. No notice one shot mechanics render healers worthless so why be there if mechanics prevent doing your job?
    2. DDs tend to favor max range and arraying all the way around the dragon for these fights. I don't blame them at all for using tactics that help keep them alive but that means often the one taking healable damage is well beyond 28m away from my healer and she can't respond.

When healing gets frustrating or impossible, my healer simply boycotts the content. That includes plenty of DLC dungeons as well as dragons.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on October 17, 2019 10:15PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Anyron
    Anyron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Benzux wrote: »
    I have not noted the numbers as you have, but I have noticed that big hits that I have been able to block in the past, have sometimes been one hitting me.

Its like the Dragon gets enraged and if you stand too close decides, enough is enough, your going down.

Personally I do not mind too much, I think the Dragons are too easy and could do with a bit of a buff.

Again.. sure during the event when there are army of peeps camped out to take on a dragon or world bosses. Try taking on a dragon by just a few peeps or your lonesome, and see how you can boast how easy things are. Now that the event is over and the hoard of peeps are not camping out, and you only have like 4-5 peeps, the dragon is a challenge. Plus, being able to rez on the spot does make thing easier. Maybe ZOS needs to make it where in the likes of world boss pits and dragons that you need another to rez you like in dungeons.

Please don't start this again. The whole "hurr durr wyverns not dragons ecksdee" argument lived and died years ago - nearly 8 years, to be precise.
    No matter the amount of limbs or other appendages, they are Dragons within the Elder Scrolls universe. Nothing else needs to be said about this.

like it or not but they are different kind. it may be in elderscrolls lore as dragons, but it changes nothing . wolf and dog isnt same, horse and zebra isnt same too.
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main is a healer and, after fighting a score or so of dragons has deemed them as BS/no fun and therefore ignores them now. Here's why:

1. No notice one shot mechanics render healers worthless so why be there if mechanics prevent doing your job?
    2. DDs tend to favor max range and arraying all the way around the dragon for these fights. I don't blame them at all for using tactics that help keep them alive but that means often the one taking healable damage is well beyond 28m away from my healer and she can't respond.

When healing gets frustrating or impossible, my healer simply boycotts the content. That includes plenty of DLC dungeons as well as dragons.

Dragons have no one shot mechanics. Every attack can be blocked, shielded, or dodged. A one shot mechanic would negate all of these.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It seems to be pretty common to have 40 players out there running around the middle and all get nuked in one fell swoop. Makes dragon hunting feel dangerous!
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The max I have been hit for is 75k. Still far more than any defensive measures I can muster on my glass cannon of a nightblade. But 300-900k is massively overkill.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Blinkin8r
    Blinkin8r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it'd be cool if they just made every dragon ability a 1 hit kill lolz
    II Blinkin II
    Xbox 1 NA
    "A man without the sauce is lost, but the same man can become lost in the sauce."
  • Rain_Greyraven
    Rain_Greyraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep somethings strange

They always appear in the same spot and are basically loot pinatas not one ounce of dynamic game play.

Very very wrong.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=mAZDHrCObMs
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

― Robert E. Howard

So you want to be a game developer? Here is the best way to go about it.
  • Benzux
    Benzux
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyron wrote: »

like it or not but they are different kind. it may be in elderscrolls lore as dragons, but it changes nothing . wolf and dog isnt same, horse and zebra isnt same too.

We are dealing with Elder Scrolls Lore: nothing else matters. The Dragons we see in Skyrim and ESO (As well as Redguard with Nafaalilargus) are the only Dragons we see, and are the only the only ones that exist - there is nothing to compare them to, like with your wolf/dog analogy. Thus, they are Dragons, as simple as that, no matter how different they are to Dragons from other fantasy universes.
    Guildmaster of the Sacrificial Warriors, one of the oldest and most member-orientated Guilds on the Xbox One EU Megaserver
    "Casual" player from Finland who enjoys questing and dumb builds even after well over 1000 CP levels and 4000+ hours. A fan of Argonians, Goats and Elk. Also a massive Otaku (MAL Profile).
    "Following the meta makes you a sheep. That's why I'm a goat: I go in the opposite direction and make use of the things the sheep cannot." - Me, 2019
    Characters:
    Raises-The-Dead - Argonian Mag Necromancer DPS7Healer - EP (Previously a Sorc healer, RIP)
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep somethings strange

They always appear in the same spot and are basically loot pinatas not one ounce of dynamic game play.

Very very wrong.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=mAZDHrCObMs

This too. I've often wanted to see them DOING something to warrant going out to kill them. I mean, what kind of hero am I going off to kill this poor dragon who is just sitting around admiring the scenery?
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Wyverns and European dragons are both dragons, just as a wolf and a domestic dog breed are both canines, and just as a horse and a zebra are both equines.
  • Anyron
    Anyron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jhalin wrote: »

Wyverns and European dragons are both dragons, just as a wolf and a domestic dog breed are both canines, and just as a horse and a zebra are both equines.

wolf and dog are both canines, but wolf isnt dog and dog isnt wolf . same goes for dragons and wyverns

or you wanna say that apes are humans?
    Edited by Anyron on October 19, 2019 10:58AM
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    FierceSam wrote: »
    Untelegraphed tail swipes, wing swipes that extend for 180 degrees and long distances and headbutts that insta kill make these fights no fun

How are they not telegraphed if you actually see the giant tail and wings move?

Because you are hit and the damage is done before you have a chance to react. The whole point about telegraphing is that it gives the player the opportunity to react.

In addition, the wings are untelegraphed as it is totally unclear where the area of damage is. So not only do you not have the opportunity to react, you don’t even know if you are in a position where you should be reacting.

Both are examples of poor game design and contribute to making dragon fights tedious death lotteries.

I don’t mind dragons having crappy one shot mechanics. I do expect these to be clearly indicated so players can react appropriately and survive (ideally in an interesting manner rather than simply hanging back and sniping from max range, cos that is no fun).
  • Benzux
    Benzux
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jhalin wrote: »

wolf and dog are both canines, but wolf isnt dog and dog isnt wolf . same goes for dragons and wyverns

or you wanna say that apes are humans?

Since you seem to be so stubborn about this... Would you say Chinese Dragons aren't Dragons? They have no wings, and some may not even have legs. How about the Dragons in GoT? Two legs two wings. Or the Wyverns found in the game Terraria? They have four legs and a serpentine body - no wings.
    Dragons are fictional creatures, they have no "defined shape" on what can and cannot be a Dragon. If I made a Fantasy world and created a being that resembled a giant chicken in it and then called it a Dragon, then that would be a Dragon, as simple as that. There is no taxonomy for fictional creatures such as Dragons, and even if there was, it would be logical to classify European Dragons, Wyverns, Drakes, Chinese Dragons, Wyrms etc. all under the same genus or subfamily.

And finally, the only place where the distinction between a Dragon and Wyvern really matters is English Heraldry, and even there, the definition of a Wyvern is - colour me surprised - "a winged two-legged dragon with a barbed tail.".

Now please, let this *** discussion die forever. The corpse of this horse it not even recognizable as an equine any more, it's been pretty much pulverized to nothingness.
    Characters:
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to see screenshots of the 100k+ hits people are talking about.

Since the Elsweyr event finished there are so few people doing dragons that I tried to solo one. Got it to 80%, past several take-offs, strafes, add spawns, etc. until a couple of other players showed up. It's slow going, but I was never one shotted. The hardest part for me as a magsorc dd was running out of stamina, getting hit by the fireballs and needing to heal through the DoT. Even then, blocking avoids a great deal of damage.

No attack from the dragon is unavoidable. You can dodge, block, shield and heal through all of them. Most AoE attacks are telegraphed with the usual red circles/cones. The ones that aren't - tail swipe, wing swipe and bite - can be seen coming with plenty of time to get some distance between you and the dragon or block, the latter being more than enough to survive the blow.

It's possible that some people experiencing more lag may have trouble reacting to dragon attacks. But from my experience watching people around me, many players simply aren't familiar with basic mechanics such as getting out of the flying fire breath attack, blocking swipes and the sideways fire breath, moving out of the flames on the ground, and so on.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And finally, the only place where the distinction between a Dragon and Wyvern really matters is English Heraldry, and even there, the definition of a Wyvern is - colour me surprised - "a winged two-legged dragon with a barbed tail.".

Also matters for Dungeons & Dragons, which... as you may have noticed, we're not playing D&D. And, that's where a lot of this particular argument comes from, and why it's so stupid.

In D&D, Wyverns are dragons, but they're not "true dragons." Dragons, in general include a lot of critters in that setting, while "true dragons" includes a massive subset of dragons.

The whole thing is idiotic, and has no application for Elder Scrolls. Because while TES may have began its life as a D&D homebrew, it's really not one today.