Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Error 200 and 201

Lukefus
Lukefus
✭✭
I'm playing on a MacBook Pro, Intel Hd 4000. Graphics details and such shouldn't really matter as I've been playing with no problem for the past few weeks (none that we aren't aware of anyway).
What does worry me is that today I went from one city where I've been living to another place and am suddenly unable to login to the game. List of things I have checked:
· Stupidest things: restart router, check other games work, checked my firewall isn't active, renewed DHCP on my mac.
· Looked in other areas of the forums, seems PC players had similar problems a couple of days ago.
· I've tried repairing my client.
· I've contacted customer support. The answer was to keep trying in a couple of
minutes and if there was still a problem, contact customer support (Crazy right?)
· Replied to Customer Support saying problem persists (awaiting reply)
· Logged into my account on the website, no problem (Funny thing, I was asked to enter a code sent to my e-mail 'cause they had detected I was connecting from another IP adress. Could be a potential problem with the client?)

Curious things: When I try logging into the game, I enter my password and my mouse tracker turns into the loading bubble, strange, as if the client itself was failing.
  • Lukefus
    Lukefus
    ✭✭
    UPDATE: I've attempted the fix in the first reply here (port forwarding): http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/comment/540520#Comment_540520

Also I contacted my internet provider, did a complete reset of my internet services and even went through the port forwarding with them on the phone.
    My internet is working better than ever and still no access to TESO.

Also tried deleting the ProgramData folder inside the launcher application. Launched game, same error!

It's weird, what really stands out is that when I'm actually on the login screen and I type in my username and password and hit enter, the mouse's loading icon comes up, as if the game client has frozen and/or is not responding for a second. At least that's the sense I get from it.

Anyone have any experience with this?
    Edited by Lukefus on April 12, 2014 6:47PM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seems to effect a lot of players both Mac & PC. Some network issue. The said the did some update to the Europe server to address it but it still continues.

Yes is is something that could be an issue. Becuase when you log from a new location or even reboot router, it will change IP and they game will normally put up a message for you to confirm the code within 10 minutes.

Other than that, try the other things in this thread you may not have tried.

Maybe also take a look at all the other Error 200 threads on this forum. Maybe there is other suggestions.

ZOS know about it and asked for details which point to ISP/ Network issue. Looks wide spread from this thread where they asked for details.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The email sent with a code is a security feature on their side. It's called IP authentication, and they do it to make sure that it's you (or at least the one who has access to your email account) who tries to log in.

The support pages have this to say about the errors:
    Error 200 occurs when a player is unable to reach the game's servers. If you are receiving this error, please try again in a few minutes. If you are still unable to log into the game, please contact Customer Support.

You can also check our Service Alerts page for details on the status of the game.
    Error 201 occurs when there are general connectivity issues between a player and The Elder Scrolls Online service. If this error occurs, please wait a few minutes and try again.

Players should contact Customer Support if the issue still occurs after repeated attempts.

So you seem to have a connection issue with ZOS's login/authentication servers.

You can do the following:
    • Open the Launcher and click on the cogwheel (settings)
    • In Settings - Launcher, click on "Game Consultant". Wait for it to finish, it may take a while.
    • After it's done its thing, click on "Open Results". A text file "output.txt" will open in TextEdit.

This "consultant" is nothing but a shell script that does a "netstat -a", a "ps aux", and then some pings and traceroutes at the end. The latter is interesting to know. Two hosts are queried, a1092.d.akamai.net (80.150.193.33), and a1213.g1.akamai.net (62.154.232.192). Can your computer reach those hosts? You can post the text file here using the BBCode "[ spoiler ]" tags. But only the sections below "HOSTS FILE" are of interest for now.

Next, you could do this:
    • Open Apple Menu > System Preferences > Network
    • Select the active network connection, it has a green dot beside its name
    • Click on "Advanced..."
    • Click on the "DNS" tab
    • Add the IP addresses "8.8.8.8" and "8.8.4.4" (Google's DNS server) to the list of resolvers
    • Click "Ok" and "Apply"
    • Repeat running the Game Consultant script as described above
    • Did something change?

Also, check the following settings, if you haven't done so already:
    • Apple Menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy
    • In the "General" tab, set "Allow apps downloaded from..." to "Anywhere" (you have now switched off the Gatekeeper security feature, might want to set it back to where it was if you can log in again)
    • In the "Firewall" tab, check whether the firewall really is off. If it's not, click "Turn off Firewall"
  • Lukefus
    Lukefus
    ✭✭
    Next, you could do this:
    Open Apple Menu > System Preferences > Network
    Select the active network connection, it has a green dot beside its name
    Click on "Advanced..."
    Click on the "DNS" tab
    Add the IP addresses "8.8.8.8" and "8.8.4.4" (Google's DNS server) to the list of resolvers
    Click "Ok" and "Apply"

I read this on one of Moonraker's links. After hours of fiddling with network settings and such, THIS has worked. I added the IP 8.8.8.8. to the list in the DNS tab and BANG, working.
    Thank you guys,
    ESO is only as strong as it's community!
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lukefus wrote: »
    Next, you could do this:
    Open Apple Menu > System Preferences > Network
    Click on "Advanced..."
    Click on the "DNS" tab
    Add the IP addresses "8.8.8.8" and "8.8.4.4" (Google's DNS server) to the list of resolvers
    Click "Ok" and "Apply"

I read this on one of Moonraker's links. After hours of fiddling with network settings and such, THIS has worked. I added the IP 8.8.8.8. to the list in the DNS tab and BANG, working.
    Thank you guys,
    ESO is only as strong as it's community!
    Glad we sorted that one @Lukefus and great advice from @KhajitFurTrader as ever ;)

I suspect it's to do with the TTL which is why Google public DNS works as it ignores the TTL. Not sure why at the ESO end this is happening though.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do so not take credit for this. Glad to have you back in Tamriel. :smiley:

What interests me is this: at your new location, do you have a different ISP?

@Moonraker, this problem seems to be related to DNS resolve queries. Maybe folks who encounter this should first try
    dscacheutil -flushcache
    sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

to flush the DNS cache and see if that works, before adding the Google DNS servers? They don't run theirs out of sheer altruism, after all...
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    This "consultant" is nothing but a shell script that does a "netstat -a", a "ps aux", and then some pings and traceroutes at the end. The latter is interesting to know. Two hosts are queried, a1092.d.akamai.net (80.150.193.33), and a1213.g1.akamai.net (62.154.232.192). Can your computer reach those hosts? You can post the text file here using the BBCode "[ spoiler ]" tags. But only the sections below "HOSTS FILE" are of interest for now.
    The domains it connects too seem to be different from the PC Launcher - Game Consultant which connects to the loginserver (makes sense) On the Mac it just appears to ping/ traceroute to the local CDN address and they appear to be dynamic depending on your location so same reference but different IP.

For instance if I run one now it gives me some in France (same country):
    PING a1092.d.akamai.net (90.84.60.160)
    PING a1213.g1.akamai.net (23.200.86.105)

This is useful for checking data download but not for diagnosing connection to the loginserver which would be appropriate for these sorts of issues.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do so not take credit for this. Glad to have you back in Tamriel. :smiley:

What interests me is this: at your new location, do you have a different ISP?

@Moonraker, this problem seems to be related to DNS resolve queries. Maybe folks who encounter this should first try
    dscacheutil -flushcache
    sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

to flush the DNS cache and see if that works, before adding the Google DNS servers? They don't run theirs out of sheer altruism, after all...
    I do include it fairly high up on things to try on the link posted (both for Mavericks and earlier OS X)

It seems to help some and not others, thus the range of things to try, of which some probably wont but it seems there are various issues which makes all this that much harder to be specific.

See my note above on the DNS. I'm thinking that there maybe some link between the fact that Google does not check TTL makes it work? Maybe just as a different route it can give to login server.

If the player goes to another location I would assume that most would have dynamic DNS provided via the router so it' shouldn't in itself cause an issue?

On top of all this it seems that even in the same location, same router etc. it can just start being a problem.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 12, 2014 9:55PM
  • Martine89
    Martine89
    @KhajitFurTrader - THANK YOU! My boyfriend (who uses a Mac) was unable to log in due to error 200/201 codes.. I set up port forwarding, but still no luck. Then I tried your advice and it worked! For some reason ESO' 'brilliant' customer service wasn't able to come up with this for more than a week?!
    Edited by Martine89 on April 15, 2014 8:00PM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Martine89 wrote: »
    @KhajitFurTrader - THANK YOU! My boyfriend (who uses a Mac) was unable to log in due to error 200/201 codes.. I set up port forwarding, but still no luck. Then I tried your advice and it worked! For some reason ESO' 'brilliant' customer service wasn't able to come up with this for more than a week?!
    Glad you got the problem sorted. What bit of the advice actually helped? It would be useful to know.
  • Martine89
    Martine89
    Moonraker wrote: »
    Glad you got the problem sorted. What bit of the advice actually helped? It would be useful to know.

This > 'Open Apple Menu > System Preferences > Network
    Click on "Advanced..."
    Click on the "DNS" tab
    Click "Ok" and "Apply"

After this he was able to log in successfully!
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Moonraker wrote: »

This > 'Open Apple Menu > System Preferences > Network
    Click on "Advanced..."
    Click on the "DNS" tab
    Click "Ok" and "Apply"

After this he was able to log in successfully!
    Thanks for confirming @Martine89. Good to know which are working for the various error messages.