Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How to Fix CP, easy and balanced

Gnortranermara
Gnortranermara
✭✭✭✭✭
So I've been thinking about the CP system fix that's underway and realized that there's a simple and easy way to make CP awesome and balanced.

First, note that the CP constellation names correlate with the Mundus Stones (except the Serpent, which was excluded from CP). Next, note that most of the Mundus stones give bonuses to raw stats with an associated Major/Minor buff. Therefore, there is an opportunity here to link CP to the Major/Minor buff system.

Step 1: Add individual constellations for The Serpent, Warrior, Mage, and Thief. Create new named buffs for Max Mag, Stam, and Pen.
6pj523zn1lgo.png
(The new Max Mag and Max Stam buffs are just the Warhorn buffs, given a name. The new Penetration buff would be a sweet new addition to other skill lines like Assassination, bow, Aedric Spear, etc.)

Step 2: Make each point of CP increase the effect of the associated Major/Minor buffs by 1% (multiplicatively, obvs). At max level, a full constellation would double the impact of its associated buffs. (Points go into the constellation as a whole, not individual stars.) It really can be that simple. Balance is easy and already built-in (by how powerful the buffs are to begin with). Yes, some buffs will need a value adjustment, but the total DPS increase provided by this system can be easily matched to the current CP system with minimal effort. The requirement to have the buff active adds an extra layer of skill to build design because the stats are not unconditional anymore.

If each of the 13 constellations has a 100 point cap, then 1300 CP could fill them all. Both Mag and Stam DPS have 3 stats they don't need, so a 1000 CP cap would fill all of the important constellations for a DPS character.

Step 3: As far as additional perks go, Champion perk stars are constantly blamed for performance problems and could be mostly eliminated in favor of some standard, easy to calculate bonuses. For example, at 25 CP, grant a 25% cost reduction to all abilities that grant the associated Major/Minor buff. At 50 CP, increase the duration of the associated buffs by 50%. At 75 CP, grant the associated Minor buff as a permanent passive. (Adjust the skills that used to grant these Minor buffs accordingly.) At 100 CP, get creative and recycle/rework the best of the old CP utility passives.

Example:
rcqmx858dlhz.png

Step 4: Housecleaning. The interface would need a rework. A little attention would be needed to ensure everyone has ways to access these buffs (from non-class skills, sets, etc).

This rework would fulfill the goals of capping power at a reasonable level, making CP bonuses conditional, and preserving the best utility passives from the old system. Most importantly it would reduce strain on the server if it's done right, since all of these buffs go directly to raw stats when the buff is applied, prior to conducting damage calculations (instead of being a bunch of extra percentage-based modifiers rolled into every single damage calculation).
Edited by Gnortranermara on September 24, 2019 5:50PM
  • Darsaga
    Darsaga
    ✭✭✭
    I personally don’t want to see any percentage based increases to things like damage, healing, resist etc. I guess for PvE content that would require possible increase in gear score though, which I definitely do not want to see. Unless they made a way to reasonably upgrade current gear.

I like the idea of unlocking unique skills like ultimates as you grow in level or maybe additional morphs to current skill lines we already have. Playing on the ultimate system the game has they could really have some fun with this.

They would need to also adjust all the sets in the game to go along with this as well though because 90% or more would be worthless without the current system that is in place.

I don’t know the right answer, but I do know the game feels the best in no CP for a reason. Free damage, sustain, healing etc. makes for very stale casual gameplay. With all this said I’m not even touching the game until their 9 month performance overhaul is complete.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would to see it not all combat related — in fact, I would rather the system limit how many points we can put in combat options (because it’s supposed to be about further customization/specialization, not becoming boringly overpowered, no?) and have the rest be in things like gathering, crafting, ooc movement, etc.
  • Darsaga
    Darsaga
    ✭✭✭
    ErinM31 wrote: »
    I would to see it not all combat related — in fact, I would rather the system limit how many points we can put in combat options (because it’s supposed to be about further customization/specialization, not becoming boringly overpowered, no?) and have the rest be in things like gathering, crafting, ooc movement, etc.

I can agree with that to a degree, and to add to it....we could maybe specialize into a tree we are interested in. Like combat, crafting, gathering etc. So for those of us that only PvP like myself can get some fun things to use as well. I don’t want my 2k cp used for harvesting materials lol
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darsaga wrote: »

I can agree with that to a degree, and to add to it....we could maybe specialize into a tree we are interested in. Like combat, crafting, gathering etc. So for those of us that only PvP like myself can get some fun things to use as well. I don’t want my 2k cp used for harvesting materials lol

Exactly! Harvesting and other such boosts shouldn’t be passives in a tree that has nothing to do with it! For you, it’s a waste while for me, I enjoy exploring and farming so I’d like it on all my characters! I’d be thrilled for there to be more options and greater freedom of customization for everyone! :)
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any changes to CP or current gear standardization would require an update from so many more perspectives and affect the entire game and theory-crafting community, while I'm not against this as I'm pretty bored with the current one since 90% of the sets are useless in comparison to the sets I use and CP config only changes based on if I'm in a good group, bad group or pvp which is annoying that it costs gold but whatever; point is, it would be a giant change, and I'm not sure if ESO can take that hit at the moment as they don't even have a reasonable standard for skills yet and currently in the process of still tweaking that.

Try to change too many variables at once and you get unexpected, unpredictable and volatile results.
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
    The lack of communication from ZOS to player speaks volumes.
  • mursie
    mursie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think the delete key would be even easier than this.
    twitch.tv/mursieftw
    twitter: @mursieftw
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. I want a system where I have to make interesting choices to make my character play the way I want, not just more X power buffs where there is an optimal choice everyone does the same way.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a thought I had while I was reading this, what if your active mundus corresponded to the active cp tree.

So for example, if I wanted warrior cp, I would use the warrior mundus stone.
    If I wanted benefits from the thief cp, I would switch to the theif mundus stone, and lose benefits from the warrior

And so forth. Then you could have 6 subspecializations~ at max cp (or more if you want to spread points), rather than a single overarching specialization.
    Edited by Cathexis on September 11, 2019 7:51PM
    The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
  • Delparis
    Delparis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I've been thinking about the CP system fix that's underway and realized that there's a simple and easy way to make CP awesome and balanced.

First, note that the CP constellation names correlate with the Mundus Stones (except the Serpent, which was excluded from CP). Next, note that most of the Mundus stones give bonuses that have an associated Major/Minor buff. Therefore, there is an opportunity here to link CP to the Major/Minor buff system.

Step 1: Add individual constellations for The Serpent, Warrior, Mage, and Thief. Create new named buffs for Max Mag, Stam, and Pen.
    6pj523zn1lgo.png
    (The new Max Mag and Max Stam buffs are just the Warhorn buffs, given a name. The new Penetration buff would be a sweet new addition to other skill lines like Assassination, bow, Aedric Spear, etc.)

Step 2: Make each point of CP increase the effect of the associated Major/Minor buffs by 1% (multiplicatively, obvs). At max level, a full constellation would double the impact of its associated buffs. (Points go into the constellation as a whole, not individual stars.) It really can be that simple. Balance is easy and already built-in (by how powerful the buffs are to begin with). Yes, some buffs will need a value adjustment, but the total DPS increase provided by this system can be easily matched to the current CP system with minimal effort. The requirement to have the buff active adds an extra layer of skill to build design because the stats are not unconditional anymore.

If each of the 13 constellations has a 100 point cap, then 1300 CP could fill them all. Both Mag and Stam DPS have 3 stats they don't need, so a 1000 CP cap would fill all of the important constellations for a DPS character.

Step 3: As far as additional perks go, Champion perk stars are constantly blamed for performance problems and could be mostly eliminated in favor of some standard, easy to calculate bonuses. For example, at 25 CP, grant a 25% cost reduction to all abilities that grant the associated Major/Minor buff. At 50 CP, increase the duration of the associated buffs by 50%. At 75 CP, grant the associated Minor buff as a permanent passive. (Adjust the skills that used to grant these Minor buffs accordingly.) At 100 CP, get creative and recycle/rework the best of the old CP utility passives.

Example:
    rcqmx858dlhz.png

Step 4: Housecleaning. The interface would need a rework. A little attention would be needed to ensure everyone has ways to access these buffs (from non-class skills, sets, etc).

This rework would fulfill the goals of capping power at a reasonable level, making CP bonuses conditional, and preserving the best utility passives from the old system. Most importantly it would reduce strain on the server if it's done right, since all of these buffs go directly to raw stats when the buff is applied, prior to conducting damage calculations (instead of being a bunch of extra percentage-based modifiers rolled into every single damage calculation).

Very good and interresting proposal. I agree with this !!!

Better also make the CP points destribution consolidated between all trees (no more 270 point per red, gree and blue trees) instead give a static number (600 points ?) to destribute all over the CP tree system.
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Delparis wrote: »
    Better also make the CP points destribution consolidated between all trees (no more 270 point per red, gree and blue trees) instead give a static number (600 points ?) to destribute all over the CP tree system.

Agreed, that step would be included with adding the Serpent and making the Warrior, Mage, and Thief into their own separate constellations (instead of being the names of the Red, Blue, and Green categories currently in game).
    Edited by Gnortranermara on September 13, 2019 6:37PM