Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Anybody has any clues why ZOS nerfing everything?

Jagdkommando
Jagdkommando
✭✭✭✭
Hey guys any ideas why ZOS keeps nerfing everything since 1 year??? maybe they are preparing smth for us? [removed bashing comment]
Edited by ZOS_JesC on September 8, 2019 5:14PM
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cos of all the nerflings on this forum.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its some combination of:

Horizontal Progression
    Power Creep
    Class and Racial Balance
    Balancing PVE and PVP
    Player Pain Points
    Changing up the Meta
    New Dev Teams
    Changing Game Design
    Making sure players keep grinding

I leave it up to you to decide which reasons are most important to ZOS.
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my theory is more paranoid

They seem to make everything like equal to make it easier for future patches slowly, and to when this game gets vanilla status, where no more real content comes and all they need to do is fix bugs and small patches, game has been out for 5 years and I fear it will be sooner rather then later sadly this will happen.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vlad9425 wrote: »

^This.

It’s apparent that no one at ZOS PvPs at a high level or often enough to have a feel for the game. They read the forums and adjust stuff accordingly.
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's fashionable to blame a different party each update:

PvPers
    PvEers
    Streamers
    Class Reps
    Etc.

"If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its some combination of:

Horizontal Progression
    Power Creep
    Class and Racial Balance
    Balancing PVE and PVP
    Player Pain Points
    Changing up the Meta
    New Dev Teams
    Changing Game Design

This. It's why sets are now becoming more important than stats again, just like in One Tamriel...It's also why some oversights occur and allow you to build insanely powerful characters in PvP that literally carry you, esp. in this patch.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All games as complex as ESO require adjustments. Designers aren't perfect. They will make mistakes and there will be unforeseen results that could be gamebreaking. ESO is an especially complex game. The underlying mechanics are complex and there are thousands of combinations of variables in the form of attributes, abilities, passives, traits, sets, potions, glyphs, munduses, etc. Added to the different ways the game is played from casual overland PVE to hardcore PVP, it makes the game practically impossible to balance.

The notion that making adjustments is in itself a bad thing is absurd.

Unfortunately, there's always a party -- sometimes a lot people -- negatively impacted by an adjustment and might feel persecuted. This can be augmented to certainty through echo chambers like guild and discord chats.

I say this as someone who has felt quite a lot of salt about adjustments over the years. I don't prefer how ESO has evolved. But still, I recognize adjustments are necessary.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Simple, to prevent power creep. Most of the opinions that you should never nerf things and only buff are silly, if the devs did that people would be one shoting trial bosses by now.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    top dps was raised from 60k to 100k for the past two years. Kinda strange "nerfs", don't you think?

Though they may nerf something, but then they release $ DLC with new sets to overcompensate those losses.
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mocap wrote: »
    top dps was raised from 60k to 100k for the past two years. Kinda strange "nerfs", don't you think?

Though they may nerf something, but then they release $ DLC with new sets to overcompensate those losses.

When people are doing 100k dps.They are not doing this on 3 or 6 million dummy.They are using the iron atro dummy ,which is fully debuffed.
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep. The PVP crowd has a lot of "Nerfers" that come to the Forum and complain when they can't beat another player using a certain class, skill, gear set, etc.

• ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    to prevent role players from becoming too powerful
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's pretty simple. Players power creep has been out of control for some time now. And has only been getting worst by the updates.

I believe ZOS wants to reverse a lot of the power creep. But keep all classes and styles competitive to each other.

In my opinion this is acceptable.
  • Tsar_Gekkou
    Tsar_Gekkou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of pvpers get rolled by a zerg, see one or two skills in the death recap they don't like, then scream and stomp their feet until it gets nerfed.
    Xbox NA healer main
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+3 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA HM | vRG HM |
    Flawless Conqueror | Spirit Slayer | Dro-mA'thra Destroyer | Tick-Tock-Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Planesbreaker |
  • Joosef_Kivikilpi
    Joosef_Kivikilpi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys any ideas why ZOS keeps nerfing everything since 1 year??? maybe they are preparing smth for us? [removed bashing comment]

"From the ashes of the world shall rise a new kingdom!" -Firelord Ozai

We're in good hands, people. Everything is gonna be fine. Nothing to see here... Lolz 😂
  • LinearParadox
    LinearParadox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of pvpers get rolled by a zerg, see one or two skills in the death recap they don't like, then scream and stomp their feet until it gets nerfed.

This.

Also there's a new team in play and they think they have a plan to "Normalize" everything, but so far don't seem to know what they're doing with that because as they "normalize" certain numbers according to a power budget, they do crazy **** and add insane outliers like add unbreakable CCs to the game like with Eclipse and the Incap silence they tried to push through.
    Or they remove bleeds ability to bypass armor because it was too hard to balance around, then add all that armor penetration to Onslaught.

A lot of it doesn't make any damned sense, which is why you see so much toxicity on the forums calling the devs "incompetent" and such, because people can't see any kind of reasoning behind it, and aren't told any reasoning behind it, so they go with the only conclusion they're left with. Well, that or "the devs don't care" or something along those lines.

*shrug*
    twitch.tv/linearparadox
    Benthar the Unkillable - lvl 50 StamDK - AD
    High Confessor Celosia - lvl 50 MagDK, AD
    Aeolyndra Sunstrider - lvl 50 Magplar Support God, AD
    Maldreth Angala - lvl 50 Magicka PetSorc, AD
    Veldrosa Wyldwind - lvl 50 StamSorc, AD
    M. Night Shatupon - lvl 50 MagBlade, AD
    Vestonia Ironhardt - lvl 50 Warden GuardTank, AD
    Bone Daddy - lvl 50 Stamcro, AD
    Abra Kedaver - lvl 50 Magcro, AD
    CP 1100+
  • EmEm_Oh
    EmEm_Oh
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A more friendly (i.e., socialized) mmo.

No real sense of accomplishment other than...you guessed it....new products to buy.

Why fix a problem (a challenge due to prior dev coding who aren't around) when you can neutralize everything else by just stacking additional code (which in the long term is not a good idea).

ESO has a lot of potential that is slowly slipping away.

The current ideology seems to not want longtime players to have an advantage. Why not. We earned it. First-time player? Great. I welcome you But earn your bones like the rest of us.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its some combination of:

Horizontal Progression
    Power Creep
    Class and Racial Balance
    Balancing PVE and PVP
    Player Pain Points
    Changing up the Meta
    New Dev Teams
    Changing Game Design

U forgot selling skill lines in the crown store
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When people are doing 100k dps.They are not doing this on 3 or 6 million dummy.They are using the iron atro dummy ,which is fully debuffed.

Almost raid buffed parses was before trial dummy too. I can't remember any of them doin 100k.
    Also typical 3kk selfbuffed dps parse those days was around 40-45k.
    Edited by mocap on September 10, 2019 2:54PM
  • Jagdkommando
    Jagdkommando
    ✭✭✭✭
    EmEm_Oh wrote: »

A more friendly (i.e., socialized) mmo.

No real sense of accomplishment other than...you guessed it....new products to buy.

Why fix a problem (a challenge due to prior dev coding who aren't around) when you can neutralize everything else by just stacking additional code (which in the long term is not a good idea).

ESO has a lot of potential that is slowly slipping away.

The current ideology seems to not want longtime players to have an advantage. Why not. We earned it. First-time player? Great. I welcome you But earn your bones like the rest of us.

Oh mate... so agree with you
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well at the end of the day strenght of both PvP and PvE setups is increasing so it's hard to call it nerfs. The only thing that is getting nerfed is uniqueness and feel of flavor of certain setups but the general strenght of the setups on average is not getting nerfed.
    Edited by Juhasow on September 10, 2019 3:52PM
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    Its some combination of:

Horizontal Progression
    Power Creep
    Class and Racial Balance
    Balancing PVE and PVP
    Player Pain Points
    Changing up the Meta
    New Dev Teams
    Changing Game Design

U forgot selling skill lines in the crown store

And pressure from PvP'ers.
  • Jagdkommando
    Jagdkommando
    ✭✭✭✭
    Juhasow wrote: »
    Well at the end of the day strenght of both PvP and PvE setups is increasing so it's hard to call it nerfs. The only thing that is getting nerfed is uniqueness and feel of flavor of certain setups but the general strenght of the setups on average is not getting nerfed.

I dont give a poop about dps increase but i give it when it is harder to pull same numbers or dps is just nerfed(which we ha e now) , the main thing is flavour as u said. ALSO trial dummy is not a dps test!!! Dont say that pls, its like noob machine, standing in 1 spot and doing dps with all available buffs in the game. Real dps is 3 mil mid buffed dps, cuz in raids you do mechanics and have only 20 seconds at max to do your dps. So overall damage per seat is +-3mil. Same or worse thing is at dungeons....!
    Pfff dps going high, gove me Morrowind patch with trial dummy and picture will be the same or better(full enchantments on each weapon etc...)
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I dont give a poop about dps increase but i give it when it is harder to pull same numbers or dps is just nerfed(which we ha e now) , the main thing is flavour as u said. ALSO trial dummy is not a dps test!!! Dont say that pls, its like noob machine, standing in 1 spot and doing dps with all available buffs in the game. Real dps is 3 mil mid buffed dps, cuz in raids you do mechanics and have only 20 seconds at max to do your dps. So overall damage per seat is +-3mil. Same or worse thing is at dungeons....!
    Pfff dps going high, gove me Morrowind patch with trial dummy and picture will be the same or better(full enchantments on each weapon etc...)

Can't remember a single patch where overall DPS dropped. Just watch videos of top-raiding guilds and you'll see the ongoing DPS-increase.
    Noobplar
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Destruent wrote: »

Can't remember a single patch where overall DPS dropped. Just watch videos of top-raiding guilds and you'll see the ongoing DPS-increase.

Most nerfs hit progression groups a lot harder than they do the top-raiding guilds.

Keep that in mind when you watch ZOS try to lower the ceiling
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Most nerfs hit progression groups a lot harder than they do the top-raiding guilds.

i know, that most people are slower with adapting to changes...it's still wrong that DPS got nerfed at any pont of this game.
    Noobplar
  • Dalsinthus
    Dalsinthus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup. My mag sorc lost 8-10k self-buffed dps this patch. I had worked hard to get her where she was with Elsweyr. Now it just feels disappointing to play her.
  • Jagdkommando
    Jagdkommando
    ✭✭✭✭
    Da holy ***, some ppl say they(ZOS) need to lower the dps ceiling... wtf are u talking about, as a 60k+(Murkmire patch) self buffed dps-er i lost 15k now, and i mostly play solo or in 4ppl dungeons (tho i complated all the trials), so they give a HUGE 105k+ dps buff to only extreme Trial players who already has more than enough dps, im just silent about casual players, vCoS?? (veteran Cradle of Shadows) nope never heard....
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yep. The PVP crowd has a lot of "Nerfers" that come to the Forum and complain when they can't beat another player using a certain class, skill, gear set, etc.

I agree with everything you said except the term “nerfer.” I believe “Nerfling” is way more apppropriate! Lol.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This lmao