Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

%s%s zone: %s - excuse me what?

WeerW3ir
WeerW3ir
✭✭✭✭✭
What is wrong with the game. i cannot talk at all.
gJgZ9i3.jpg

update: the problem came from an addon. called ChatStamp

Edited by WeerW3ir on September 10, 2019 2:00PM
  • Ogou
    Ogou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you using pChat or another chat add-on? I'd try disabling that first.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turn off your add-ons?
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems a lot of people having this issue but I think it’s some addon. I was just in game with no chat issues but I don’t use any addons that modify it or the UI.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may be totally irrelevant but are you on PC ? If yes, then if you have more than one language installed in Windows, then pressing "Shift + Ctrl" button combination, switches the languages, thus pressing keyboard may result in creating different character / letter. This affects all applications and programs - including ESO.

If it is not the case, then ignore this comment.
  • MasterLenman
    MasterLenman
    ✭✭✭✭
    This may be totally irrelevant but are you on PC ? If yes, then if you have more than one language installed in Windows, then pressing "Shift + Ctrl" button combination, switches the languages, thus pressing keyboard may result in creating different character / letter. This affects all applications and programs - including ESO.

If it is not the case, then ignore this comment.

The default is "Shift + Alt", not "Shift + Ctrl".
  • sirinsidiator
    sirinsidiator
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is caused by a change to the chat system in today's update. They changed how the chat text is formatted. Before it would use character sequences like "<<1>>" to mark placeholders for content to be added during the formatting step. After today's update it now uses "%s" instead, but addons don't know that yet, so you'll have to disable them and wait for an update.
    https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/ - My Addons - The Vault (Early updates and experimental projects) - My patreon - My blog
  • Shnawkilla
    Shnawkilla
    ✭✭
    wtf is wrong with the today update . yesterday was fine with chat , and today it's just impossible to read/write anything .

52c2f1d16bb3f7ff52613ad0-750-382.jpg
    GUILDE Le Pacte des Exilés
    Pacte de Couerébène PVE/PVP
    shnawkilla - stamplar max CP
    bentoo - sorc max CP
    Tilena - mageblade max CP
    Dal'ek - dk tank stam max CP
    and many more ^^
  • silvermistktralasub17_ESO
    it does appear to be addon related, and, at the moment, I have a sort-of fix on that. For those of us who can use TOM (Tamriel Online messenger), the actual TOM window posts chat just fine. I'm not sure which addon is bugging the rest, but that window does work, and is quite usable.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is caused by a change to the chat system in today's update. They changed how the chat text is formatted. Before it would use character sequences like "<<1>>" to mark placeholders for content to be added during the formatting step. After today's update it now uses "%s" instead, but addons don't know that yet, so you'll have to disable them and wait for an update.

It would be really nice if changes like this that happen in an incremental instead of a major patch gets documented in the patch notes, @ZOS_GinaBruno. We kinda expect addon-breaking changes in major quarterlies, but not in incrementals, so call-outs of changes that affect incrementals are necessary.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

It would be really nice if changes like this that happen in an incremental instead of a major patch gets documented in the patch notes, @ZOS_GinaBruno. We kinda expect addon-breaking changes in major quarterlies, but not in incrementals, so call-outs of changes that affect incrementals are necessary.

Honestly? If they changed the backend formatting like that, there was no way this wouldn't break addons. The addon looks for one specific thing, that specific thing no longer exists, the addon freaks out, and vomits this up on cue.
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭

Correct, totally agree here. This comes a bit unforeseeen :/
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly? If they changed the backend formatting like that, there was no way this wouldn't break addons. The addon looks for one specific thing, that specific thing no longer exists, the addon freaks out, and vomits this up on cue.

The point is that when they change the backend in major updates, its really nice for the addon developers because they get a heads up and can update their add-on. Plus, players expect addons to be a little wonky and are willing to wait for the updates.

When its an incremental patch like this with no warning, players log in and go WTF because there's no warning, and the add-on developers have to scramble.

Sure, ZOS doesnt have to give any warning.

But for a company who wants to communicate more, it would be nice to do so.
  • tim99
    tim99
    ✭✭✭✭✭

and its really sad, that we even have to ask for things like this which should be obviously.
  • Shnawkilla
    Shnawkilla
    ✭✭
    ok , i found the add-on that break my chat , it's XTimestamp , at least for me .
    Hope that help , because you can have the time of each chat message with pchat addon
    GUILDE Le Pacte des Exilés
    Pacte de Couerébène PVE/PVP
    shnawkilla - stamplar max CP
    bentoo - sorc max CP
    Tilena - mageblade max CP
    Dal'ek - dk tank stam max CP
    and many more ^^
  • Alucu
    Alucu
    ✭✭✭
    Some people is telling me LibChat causes the issue for them
    Building communities since 2017

Para los Jugadores Hispanos: LA FUNDACION GM
    For advanced PvE: DRAGON VOID Officer
    For advanced PvP: PROJECT NOVA Member
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucu wrote: »

Any addon that interacts with the chat system is derped right now.
  • HidesFromSun
    HidesFromSun
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe my luck, just /quit after having this exact same problem. I thought it was the awful hospital internet, but I guess it's not!
  • WeerW3ir
    WeerW3ir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk which addon. thats the problem. cuz yes its an addon for sure. but cannot try all >_>
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

nope, pchat works just fine for me.
  • deviousthevile
    deviousthevile
    ✭✭✭
    LibChat was the culprit on my end
    CP 1220
    Devious The Vile Lv 50 Stamblade
    The Elven Terror Lv 50 PvP Support Healplar
    Kintao Doombringer Lv 50 MagSorc
    Healz Ur Bum Lv 50 Healplar
    Toby the Fat Node Hunter Lv 50 Stamina DK (Farmer)
    Something Disgusting Lv 50 Stamden
    You Hit my Splodey Button Lv 50 Blazing Shield Templar Tank
    Kyo Kane Lv 50 Magblade
    Watch Me Burn Lv 50 MagDK
    R N Geesus Lv 50 Stamblade
    Rampage the Vile Lv 50 Stamblade
    Backslash Playdead Lv 50 Healcro
    Sallidadna of House Vile Lv 50 Stamcro
    Hand of the Night King Lv 50 Magcro
    Fróstβíté Lv 40 Ice Warden
    Bella av Cava Vile Lv 24 MagSorc
    Storc the Orc Stam Sorc Lv 50 StamSorc

• WeerW3ir
    WeerW3ir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WeerW3ir wrote: »
    idk which addon. thats the problem. cuz yes its an addon for sure. but cannot try all >_>

its ChatStamp :'((
  • Lynnara1
    Lynnara1
    Soul Shriven
    Turning off Shissu's 'chat' line worked for me.
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From Natch Potes - Fixed an issue where a large number of a specific characters appearing in chat could cause the client to become unresponsive.

Seems they fixed it and introduced it to others. Way to go ZO$.
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager

While we normally try to save these for larger updates, this particular issue was serious enough that it needed to go into an incremental patch and due to the exploitative nature, we weren't able to give addon authors a heads up.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. PChat is fine. I use it and have no problem. I don't use LibChat though.
    (Just mentioning this for the people who ar etrying to narrow it down).
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    libchatmessage library was the culprit for me.
  • sirinsidiator
    sirinsidiator
    ✭✭✭✭

While we normally try to save these for larger updates, this particular issue was serious enough that it needed to go into an incremental patch and due to the exploitative nature, we weren't able to give addon authors a heads up.

Maybe you could do some sort of "trusted author" program like you do with the combat representatives and let us sign NDAs? That way it shouldn't be a problem to tell us about breaking changes like that early on. Would of course not help with abandoned chat addons like in this instance, but at least those who are on board could check which addons may be affected and prepare for it.
    https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/ - My Addons - The Vault (Early updates and experimental projects) - My patreon - My blog
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes sense. Thank you for the details.

(But... "exploitative nature" ? Does this mean that, before the patch, one could just send a specific message via chat to someone and pooof ! that someone's PC freezes ? That's pretty funny - at least in theory ;-) )
    Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on September 9, 2019 2:59PM
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you could do some sort of "trusted author" program like you do with the combat representatives and let us sign NDAs?

Wouldn't that mean that you'd have to spread the word anyway ?
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that line in the patch notes about update to chat system makes bit more sense. :p
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."