Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Declining Population

Orlacc
Orlacc
✭✭✭
The population on all PvP servers has dropped dramatically since the imposition on faction lock.......need to change something STAT. As a player who has been here since beta, I have toons of all three factions I have carefully curated for PvP, but only those eligible for the 30 day CP campaign have anyone to play with. Well intentioned but poorly executed.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orlacc wrote: »
    The population on all PvP servers has dropped dramatically since the imposition on faction lock.......need to change something STAT. As a player who has been here since beta, I have toons of all three factions I have carefully curated for PvP, but only those eligible for the 30 day CP campaign have anyone to play with. Well intentioned but poorly executed.

Might also be performance and lag issues, too...
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Aaluvien
    Aaluvien
    ✭✭
    You're looking under the wrong rock. The declination of the PvP population is directly related to a deterioration in game performance.

The recent game 'simply not working 'due to kicks to desktop aren't helping much either.

If ZOS stays on this trajectory, there won't be many around to worry about faction locks. Given the 'ratcheting effect' of game performance (it goes one directly only)...I have little confidence ZOS can (or is willing) to change the performance and pop trend.
    Edited by Aaluvien on August 24, 2019 11:42PM
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've never had a friend quit the game due to faction lock, but I've seen quite a few friends and guilds leave due to performance issues, but hey good luck at spinning your agenda.
    Edited by Sanctum74 on August 25, 2019 12:04AM
  • Tsuriel
    Tsuriel
    ✭✭✭
    Sanctum74 wrote: »
    I've never had a friend quit the game due to faction lock, but I've seems quite a few friends and guilds leave due to performance issues, but hey good luck at spinning your agenda.

Game Performance wasn't any better pre-Faction lock but the bars were still locked most of the time. There's no point anymore in trying to shoot the blame towards Game Performance which has always been an issue in Cyordiil. Faction lock ruined it for me and I'm sure it did for many others.
  • Orlacc
    Orlacc
    ✭✭✭
    So you honestly think the pop drop is all due to performance? Performance has sucked since day one......nothing new here.
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tsuriel wrote: »
    Sanctum74 wrote: »
    I've never had a friend quit the game due to faction lock, but I've seems quite a few friends and guilds leave due to performance issues, but hey good luck at spinning your agenda.

Game Performance wasn't any better pre-Faction lock but the bars were still locked most of the time. There's no point anymore in trying to shoot the blame towards Game Performance which has always been an issue in Cyordiil. Faction lock ruined it for me and I'm sure it did for many others.

Performance gets worse every patch and population decreased long before faction lock was introduced and we are still locked almost every night, but yeah let's blame faction lock xD.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you honestly think the pop drop is all due to performance? Performance has sucked since day one......nothing new here.

Yeah, I do think it is performance. I think that PVP attrition in this game has been due to performance more than any other reason, by a wide margin.
  • dtsharples
    dtsharples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Performance is what is keeping our little group out of PVP this past week or 2.
    No point planning an evening of PVP when half of you disconnect.

Upside is I did some PVE achieves I planned to do.
    Downside, when we did eventually go to Cyro tonight it was shockingly quiet and no fun at all. Just one faction stack v a few ppl. Half of them just standing around in keeps disheartened. They took too long to fix the ***.
    Enjoyment level zero.
  • rgreenwalt1b14_ESO
    I just unsubbed. Since I've changed my playstyle to mostly PvP and the performance issues in Cyro are getting worse by the day. ZoS obviously has no solution for this problem. My next step is leaving the game entirely. *** ZoS and their lack of effort in solving the PvP issues.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it has anything to do with faction locks. I think what we are experiencing is a true case of "Spaghetti code" which in return is making players not wanting to play. Who in their right mind would like to play a game where every ten minutes you get disconnected or everywhere you go your frame rate drops to 15 and everything is laggy.

I know before the last patch I didn't even care to play and i'm sure everyone else is tired of it too. Even if they took off faction locks it would be the same, I think.

I was all for faction locks but it won't work as intended. Too many different types of players in PvP which causes conflict in play styles.

Edited by vamp_emily on August 25, 2019 1:13AM

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont play ... because of game performance and lag. Nothing to do with lock
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I stopped playing because of performance also. Since my sub runs out in Dec, I'll come back to check out Southern Elsweyr. If nothing has improved by then, I'll probably be done for good with ESO then.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • lostcloud
    lostcloud
    ✭✭✭
    Many of my guildmates have stopped playing due to the lack of any improvement in server performance not once was faction lock mentioned.
    Nocturnal (AD AvA Oceanic guild, still kicking after 5 years) Formed in 1999 DAoC Beta now in our 21st year.
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same.
    I've mostly stopped playing PvP because the performance is absolute trash, now I only ever come to Cyro during nightcap time to easy-leech 25k AP for geodes. (or for a free port to wayshrine when the "can't port to house" bug hits)

Some of my friends are also taking a long break form PvP for the same reason of PvP being increasingly unplayable.
    Only one guildmate was complaining about faction lock, but that guy just complains about everything anyway.
  • OGNZ3
    OGNZ3
    ✭✭✭
    faction lock + game performances + ZoS communication = declining population
    Xbox One - EU
    Nephilims PvE Guild
    AR 50

PC - EU
  • O_LYKOS
    O_LYKOS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Games performance has been poop for years, it's never changed. The performance isnt driving players away. It's the changes being made to the game that people don't like
    PC NA - GreggsSausageRoll
    Xbox NA - CinnamonRoll266
  • ganzaeso
    ganzaeso
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also have not been playing PvP due to performance.
  • OGNZ3
    OGNZ3
    ✭✭✭
    O_LYKOS wrote: »
    Games performance has been poop for years, it's never changed. The performance isnt driving players away. It's the changes being made to the game that people don't like

Come consoles you’ll see what we call « bad perf » since Elsweyr game is like unplayable, no joke here
    Xbox One - EU
    Nephilims PvE Guild
    AR 50

PC - EU
  • Kelces
    Kelces
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No it hasn't. You'll know that, if you remember the time when deer were still running around in Cyrodiil. Not to mention the maximum population numbers for each faction. All declined since..
    You reveal yourself best in how you play.

Kelces - Argonian Templar
    Farel Donvu - Dark Elf Sorcerer
    Navam Llervu - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Aniseth - Wood Elf Warden
    Therediel - Wood Elf Templar
    Nilonwy - Wood Elf Nightblade
    Jurupari - Argonian Warden
    Kú-Chulainn - Argonian Sorcerer
    PC - EU
    For the Pact!
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both faction lock and lag are to blame for the decline in Cyrodill population. Both problems should ba adressed.
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some people quit because of faction lock but most of the people quit because of awful balancing decisions and terrible game performance.
  • NekoN3ko
    NekoN3ko
    ✭✭✭
    The crashing nonsense steered me away from this current 30 day camp - simply unplayable.

Doing BGs but that gets stale fast. Everything is stale right down to the combat. The rolling meta is not the answer to spicing up PvP.
  • msalvia
    msalvia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Serious question, how do we know population is declining? Is this information that ZOS publishes somewhere? Or is this just more forum logic, based around anecdotal evidence and how we "feel"? Cyro seems to be popping as usual for me...
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    msalvia wrote: »
    Serious question, how do we know population is declining? Is this information that ZOS publishes somewhere? Or is this just more forum logic, based around anecdotal evidence and how we "feel"? Cyro seems to be popping as usual for me...

Population indicator on the campaigns. If they are usually locked at the time someone plays, but are increasingly not locked, then it is an indicator that fewer people are playing in the Campaign. It does not imply they left the game, just not playing in that particular Campaign.
  • ellahellabella
    ellahellabella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I lost quite a few friends due to faction lock. They decided if zos didn't care about killing accessibility to half of their toons and not provide a viable middle ground, there were other games to play.
    Funny, most game devs look at the re percussive side of a choice before they decide. Eso does not (but that's been evident in many changes that they've made so I'm not surprised.)
    But as many friends I've lost due to the locks, I've lost five fold more due to performance.

I looked on the bright side with server performance, I've seen it in a worse state than this so I was hopeful that it would get touched up again soon. But losing friends from Els changes and being divided from others that chose other factions has just made me bitter.
    Another bleed meta was the final nail in the coffin. I've since canned my subscription and have no desire to return for some time. I'm just one meagre income to them however so they won't care.
    Try to read everything I write with an Australian accent

PC NA
    ZOMBIE DEATH MACHINE
    Vanguard
    Outcasts
    Full faction locks are only further dividing an already dwindling pvp community

Toons:
    Ebonheart Pact
    Sophis (M. Templar), Lilivah Rallenar (M. Sorcerer), Diakoptês (M. Dragonknight), Pins and Needles (M. Nightblade), Claws-your-Curtains (S. Sorcerer), Raan-Mir-Tah (M Warden), Hezik (S Warden)

Aldmeri Dominion
    Sophis-ticated (M. Templar), Tis not easy being Green (S. Dragonknight)

Daggerfall Covernant
    Sirius Delatora (M. Nightblade), Ellaberry (S. Templar), Ellabear (pve tank) Claìr De Lune (M. Sorc)
  • Tsuriel
    Tsuriel
    ✭✭✭
    O_LYKOS wrote: »

Agreed, Game performance was always an issue since day 1. It's only gotten worse lately and those quitting/leaving PvP now are more than likely those who either accepted faction lock, support(ed?) it or had hopes ZOS would still remove it at some point. I myself quit PvP when faction lock hit months ago and I can safely say that I do not envy those who stayed around til now.
  • Voltranox
    Voltranox
    ✭✭✭
    I got to the stage where all my characters were geared nicely and was looking forward to just playing pvp and experimenting with different builds.

I bought Els to try necro, but my mag and stam are just gathering dust at level 20. So are my toons on other factions. I tried out the other campaigns to keep them active, but there is hardly any population when I try.

On top of all the performance issues we had before, comes a bunch more serious ones. I unsubbed months ago, and will never buy crowns again.

I inspected my friends list the other day. Only about 20 active players are left. Then it's pages of haven't logged in for 1 month, 3 months, 9 months.

Why do I continue? I don't know. Habit? Maybe because I had finally reached a perfect end-game state after 4 years of play. Gathered all the sets and materials I want. Was supposed to be the golden time of fun after the grind.

Builds? Bah. Every time I play these days, I come across all these god-mode characters that are like superman...including flying. Yes, I've watched toons flying through the sky recently. Only the first 12 hours after a patch feels fun...until the script kiddies update their third-party software. Just pointless.

These are the reasons population is declining. I am stubbornly holding on, but it won't be long now. Bummer.
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faction locks don’t keep people from playing, they just prevent some people from playing all of their characters in a locked campaign. Horrendous lag and frequent disconnects affect all players to varying degrees. Seems obvious to me which one is having more affect on Cyrodiil populations.
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OGNZ3 wrote: »
    faction lock + game performances + ZoS communication = declining population

Something's changed more recently, I suspect, because the in-game price of Alliance motifs has gone the roof (especially on NA).
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Performance on XNA is roughly the same as what it always has been for me.

Population, however, has decreased dramatically. As predicted.

Edited by Mr_Walker on August 26, 2019 2:20AM