Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The cost of Cornflower

• Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    You're paying for someone else's time just like you would for a mechanic. They charge parts PLUS LABOR. Why should the ones that take HOURS to farm this stuff practically give it to you? We value our time even if you don't. So no we're not lowering our prices. You can go farm it yourself if you don't like it.
    (1) No one requires you to spend HOURS every day collecting herbs or any other resource materials, whether for your own use or for sale to others. It is your choice, but why should others pay a high price for your decision?

(2) There is so much competition from players who spend HOURS farming that any other player who does not optimize the buffs for a character that will be "farming" will be at a competitive disadvantage. As soon as a serious competitor does arrive, the others use various tactics and strategies to attempt to drive them away. And evidently they negotiate with one another so that their respective "farming characters" are not competing with one another during the same span of time. Divide and conquer.

(3) Too many players that spend HOURS each day "farming" resource materials are evidently using cheat engines to give themselves competitive advantages. For example, sometimes I encounter a character moving faster than it is possible to move even "fully buffed" -- or moving continuously buffed without repeatedly re-casting one or more Spells and/or frequently using a potion. ZOS is too lax and indifferent to this behavior. It sometimes seems that certain specific players who apparently use cheat engines are allowed to do that regardless. Maybe they spend lots of Dollars to buy Crowns, or they have "inside" connections, both technical and social.

(4) You overvalue your time. The game is supposed to be about everyone having fun, not catering to your fantasies of becoming ultra-rich. But maybe your motivation to spend HOURS "farming" resource materials just to increase the number of Gold Pieces in your in-game Bank account is your particular way of "having fun". Maybe it is more satisfying than PvP combat, PvE exploration and Quests, or acquiring and decorating Homesteads, but why? Greed is a symptom of sociopathy.

Frankly, TESO reflects the fact that ZOS designers and developers lack experience creating an MMORPG. They heavily depend upon "libraries" and "engines" which have been developed and used in games of the past. So there is very little actual innovation in TESO, such as non-competitive resource "farming". What would you do no one was forced to depend upon you for crafting resource materials?? Would you play some other game instead??

--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • phwaap
    phwaap
    ✭✭✭
    (4) You overvalue your time. The game is supposed to be about everyone having fun, not catering to your fantasies of becoming ultra-rich. But maybe your motivation to spend HOURS "farming" resource materials just to increase the number of Gold Pieces in your in-game Bank account is your particular way of "having fun". Maybe it is more satisfying than PvP combat, PvE exploration and Quests, or acquiring and decorating Homesteads, but why? Greed is a symptom of sociopathy.
    This exact point argues against you. If you didn't overvalue your own time you'd be gathering the necessary ingredients to support your potion addictions elsewhere.
    1. Some would like to do legendary jewelry writs but can't because the chromium is the PVPer's lifeblood. Many want to simply upgrade their own toon's jewelry and can't.
    2. Others wanted those Maelstrom style pages or BIS double drops but didn't want to die a thousand times to learn the mechanics
    3. Or maybe it's those veteran HM achievements or trials for that Perfected Gabbledeegood crap to make you super bad ass.
    As has already been pointed out, those that need alchemy ingredients should be getting bled for every last drop.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    phwaap wrote: »
    This exact point argues against you. If you didn't overvalue your own time you'd be gathering the necessary ingredients to support your potion addictions elsewhere.
    1. Some would like to do legendary jewelry writs but can't because the chromium is the PVPer's lifeblood. Many want to simply upgrade their own toon's jewelry and can't.
    2. Others wanted those Maelstrom style pages or BIS double drops but didn't want to die a thousand times to learn the mechanics
    3. Or maybe it's those veteran HM achievements or trials for that Perfected Gabbledeegood crap to make you super bad ass.
    As has already been pointed out, those that need alchemy ingredients should be getting bled for every last drop.

The lack of Chromium has nothing to do with this thread. JC is very messed up. The upcoming (in place on the PC?) changes are supposed to help this, but we shall see.

Farming that is impossible as far as I know, though perhaps you could "farm" dolmans and such for jewelry.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • phwaap
    phwaap
    ✭✭✭

The lack of Chromium has nothing to do with this thread. JC is very messed up. The upcoming (in place on the PC?) changes are supposed to help this, but we shall see.

Farming that is impossible as far as I know, though perhaps you could "farm" dolmans and such for jewelry.

You missed the point entirely. I'm talking about people that don't want to farm alchemy mats because it's "boring" but want to guzzle pots. There are scenarios like this for every type of player. So you either have to cover it with gold or do a little of what you don't like.
  • Ramber
    Ramber
    ✭✭✭✭
    If people stop buying it, the price will go down. Your answer is right there. Convince people to stop paying the high prices.

wow captain obvious :)
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    phwaap wrote: »

You missed the point entirely. I'm talking about people that don't want to farm alchemy mats because it's "boring" but want to guzzle pots. There are scenarios like this for every type of player. So you either have to cover it with gold or do a little of what you don't like.

I didn't see that point being made, but I would agree that people who want things have to do what is necessary to get them or do without.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Zulera301
    Zulera301
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The beautiful thing about this game's economy, much like the economy of any MMO, is that the prices are based around supply and demand. That's part of why new items are always stupidly high-priced. it's because the supply is low, and the demand is through the roof because lots of people are impatient, have lots of gold to burn, and want it right here, right now. I make a pretty penny exploiting these people every time a new DLC drops.

Corn Flower is just the reagent of the quarter that is really expensive. it used to be Columbine, and before that it was Nirnroot (among a few others). things will come and go as they always have, and the demand will up the price or lower the price depending on which way said demand goes.
    another issue with Corn Flower in particular is that it's required for alchemy writs a lot of the time (which have a chance of returning that cornflower as a reward) and so like Oko, it's one of those items that crafters eat a lot of too when making their 4.2-4.6k of the day.

That all said, it would be really hard to "fix" prices, whether to even them out, or to scalp something as abundant as an alchemy reagent and jack up the price to unreasonable levels. It's not like Nintendo's amiibos which are deliberately produiced in an overly small, finite supply. Corn Flower will continue spawning and appearing as a reward for certain alchemy writs, and so if the price of it (or any particular item, mind you) is 'too dang high' and you don't want to buy it... that's when you farm it.

you have to decide whether your time or your game gold is more important, and you can't have both.
    ...now if only they would get rid of Bind on Pickup from dungeons so people could sell those sets.
    Shortly after the formation of the Ebonheart Pact, a Nord woman was given a tour of the Tribunal Temple. When later asked about the experience, she seemed upset. Suffice to say, the Dunmer were not pleased to hear this, and thus they inquired further.
    "Well," the Nord frowned, "the priests were very angry and unwelcoming. They kept shouting things at me like "you can't drink that mead in here!" and "somebody stop her, she's running naked!" and "we can't catch her; she's covered in grease!""
  • ms_sophysticated
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    code65536 wrote: »

Alchemy writs are nice and do help, but you can't sustain the levels of spell power potion usage required for vet trials progression from writs alone.

I do disagree with this on an account wide basis. On a character basis, yes, it is assuredly true. However, if you have alt characters that do writs as well, you can easily sustain your needs.

Various tiers of alchemy writs offer different reagent rewards. IIRC, there is one particular tier that rewards corn flower.

Doing alchemy writs on all characters is quick (you can premake stacks of all the items in advance) and they provide alchemy surveys that can produce a lot of reagents, especially if you do them account-wide. "Survey Minions" (characters farming surveys), do not need any any skill points invested.

As a result of doing so many writs daily, I currently have 874 alchemy surveys to collect.

Omg! How long did that take?
    Console/SERVER:PS4/NA
    CHARACTER INFO:
    mssophysticated-khajit-Stamina-Nightbliade
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Alchemy writs are nice and do help, but you can't sustain the levels of spell power potion usage required for vet trials progression from writs alone.

I do disagree with this on an account wide basis. On a character basis, yes, it is assuredly true. However, if you have alt characters that do writs as well, you can easily sustain your needs.

Various tiers of alchemy writs offer different reagent rewards. IIRC, there is one particular tier that rewards corn flower.

Doing alchemy writs on all characters is quick (you can premake stacks of all the items in advance) and they provide alchemy surveys that can produce a lot of reagents, especially if you do them account-wide. "Survey Minions" (characters farming surveys), do not need any any skill points invested.

As a result of doing so many writs daily, I currently have 874 alchemy surveys to collect.

I am not that high, but I would guess I have at least 400 piled up. (How many varieties are there?) It does suck up bank space, but I find that running someplace for a single harvest is a very poor use of time. I gathered a bunch of JC stuff yesterday, with 6 in one location. Much more efficient.

My supply of Cornflower is finally growing now that I am not needing it for dailies (going to Alchemy level 3 on everyone not maxed), but I still rarely find it.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not that high, but I would guess I have at least 400 piled up. (How many varieties are there?) It does suck up bank space, but I find that running someplace for a single harvest is a very poor use of time. I gathered a bunch of JC stuff yesterday, with 6 in one location. Much more efficient.

My supply of Cornflower is finally growing now that I am not needing it for dailies (going to Alchemy level 3 on everyone not maxed), but I still rarely find it.

What's the limit on stack size of a survey?
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grimm13 wrote: »

What's the limit on stack size of a survey?

Highest I've personally gotten them stacked to is 23 before I collected.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I am not that high, but I would guess I have at least 400 piled up. (How many varieties are there?)

If my counting is correct, 25. One per alliance zone, so 15. One each for Elsweyr and Vvardenfell, 17. Two for Coldharbour, and three each for Craglorn and Wrothgar.
    The same would be true for surveys in the other crafts.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »

I am not that high, but I would guess I have at least 400 piled up. (How many varieties are there?)

If my counting is correct, 25. One per alliance zone, so 15. One each for Elsweyr and Vvardenfell, 17. Two for Coldharbour, and three each for Craglorn and Wrothgar.
    The same would be true for surveys in the other crafts.

That would then by x6 for each type (BS, JC, WC, Cloth, Alchemy, Enchants)?
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    buttaface wrote: »
    Thanks again for the tips, but not all of them apply to us noob players.

Newbs have no need for quantities of cornflower at all, so now I'm left puzzled about the thread premise.

Agreed that the trading system in ESO is terribad.

You need it for the tier1 or tier2 crafting dailies. that is where I was running out of it. With 18 characters, I would sometimes get hit with 6-8 characters that wanted 3 cornflower for the turn in. Thanks to this thread, I now know to get to Tier3 and you dont need 3x cornflower for the turn in.

I would recommend skipping the writ on those days, unless the character turning in the writ is high enough level to make the reward worth it.
  • ms_sophysticated

I agree. Stacking is much better than doing them one at a time. Especially since I don’t have to log out and log back in like I use to do not so long ago. I just give my survey to my banker, walk a good distance from the survey area. Grab my survey back from my banker, and then walk back to the survey area. It’s SOO much easier for me now.
    CHARACTER INFO:
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I agree. Stacking is much better than doing them one at a time. Especially since I don’t have to log out and log back in like I use to do not so long ago. I just give my survey to my banker, walk a good distance from the survey area. Grab my survey back from my banker, and then walk back to the survey area. It’s SOO much easier for me now.

You don't need to give the survey to the banker. Going the distance away is what resets things.

I have started to mostly just log out and back in however. That may not be as quick, but I can do something else (read, work on the computer nearby, etc.) while waiting for the logging.

Though the system really should adjust and reset if I select the survey, as one option.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • ms_sophysticated

You don't need to give the survey to the banker. Going the distance away is what resets things.

I have started to mostly just log out and back in however. That may not be as quick, but I can do something else (read, work on the computer nearby, etc.) while waiting for the logging.

Though the system really should adjust and reset if I select the survey, as one option.

I’m gonna have to try it and see if it works. They also should let treasure maps stack. I think that, that would save me some time also.
    CHARACTER INFO:
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think that, that would save me some time also.

I would agree with that too! Idiotic that I can only have 1 at a time!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • ms_sophysticated

Are you on console?
    CHARACTER INFO:
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Are you on console?

Yes. Do they stack on the PC?
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you on console?

Yes. Do they stack on the PC?

Surveys, yes. Treasure maps, no.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • CynicK
    CynicK
    ✭✭✭
    Have you noticed alchemy surveis now give 6 corn flower and 6 of some other plants, I do not know if it was like this before i think it was not for what I remember, that will do an increase in supply.
    I do not use Corn Flower for dailies since i found out the price, I cancel the quest and wait for the next day.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    CynicK wrote: »
    Have you noticed alchemy surveis now give 6 corn flower and 6 of some other plants, I do not know if it was like this before i think it was not for what I remember, that will do an increase in supply.
    I do not use Corn Flower for dailies since i found out the price, I cancel the quest and wait for the next day.

What level in Alchemy? I don't get them now that everyone is 3+, though I haven't been watching my maxed crafter enough to see if they show up there.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CynicK wrote: »

What level in Alchemy? I don't get them now that everyone is 3+, though I haven't been watching my maxed crafter enough to see if they show up there.

They do not show up at max level. None at max use corn flower.

For surveys, the nodes can drop either 4 or 6 (it's random, split about 50/50) and with Plentiful Harvest, you have a chance at doubling them to 8 or 12.
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (3) Too many players that spend HOURS each day "farming" resource materials are evidently using cheat engines to give themselves competitive advantages. For example, sometimes I encounter a character moving faster than it is possible to move even "fully buffed" -- or moving continuously buffed without repeatedly re-casting one or more Spells and/or frequently using a potion. ZOS is too lax and indifferent to this behavior. It sometimes seems that certain specific players who apparently use cheat engines are allowed to do that regardless. Maybe they spend lots of Dollars to buy Crowns, or they have "inside" connections, both technical and social.

Lots of annoying non sequitur and outright incoherence in the post, but will stick to the above particularly annoying bogus claim.

My crafter runs at the speed cap. It isn't hard to do, 40% sprint and major expedition 30% with steed 10% get to 80% right off the bat. There are many ways to get the last twenty from Medium Armor, Race, Swift trait, other armor set, CP, etc.

I've never seen a speed hacker in ESO while harvesting tens of thousands of nodes at this point, have mucho experience spotting them from PvP in games with weak clients over many years, and bet you haven't seen any either or maybe one that did it briefly until they got quickly banned. They stick out like a sore thumb because the hack gives a very artificial appearance to their general movement.

What I -have- seen is myself outrunning lots of untrained mounts and supposedly "fast" gathering characters that aren't fully speed-capped. I have no doubt that those holler either "speed hacks" or even "BOT!" when I clean their clock farming nodes.

I would wager there is server side flagging of characters moving faster than the speed cap and would also wager that they get banned rather quickly. SO I think the above is just one example of discombobulated hot air in the post.

• Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find plenty of cornflower around while out questing — not as much as water hyacinth, but it’s not like it’s ultra rare and it is easy to spot. This thread was helpful in that I now know to avoid the writs requiring it and I’m able to sell them for 600g each if I set the quantity low — very helpful for a new player who is anything but wealthy! :)
    Edited by Araneae6537 on September 5, 2019 11:07PM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It adds a tiny bit of color to the game, but that is all.

Well, it also reduces the damage people instant undercutting, by a very small amount, causes in other games.

As there are fewer people in your guild to undercut you, on any one thing and very few buyers are going to not buy something, that is only a small amount more than the same item listed in another guild store, due to the travelling involved.

So, it might help out people out who are trying to sell crafted goods, for example.

However, in terms of mats, it's a complete nightmare having to try to track down reasonably priced mats, which are not just listed in ones and twos (due to the lack of a basic craft bag) and are still there by the time you get to the store.

Edited by Tigerseye on September 4, 2019 2:14PM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »

Well, it also reduces the damage people instant undercutting, by a very small amount, causes in other games.

As there are fewer people in your guild to undercut you, on any one thing and very few buyers are going to not buy something, that is only a small amount more than the same item listed in another guild store, due to the travelling involved.

So, it might help out people out who are trying to sell crafted goods, for example.

However, in terms of mats, it's a complete nightmare having to try to track down reasonably priced mats, which are not just listed in ones and twos (due to the lack of a basic craft bag) and are still there by the time you get to the store.

I am not sure when I wrote the quote, but the current system is lousy overall. Yes, I will keep saying that, though I clearly have to live with it.

All the supposed advantages don't happen or are not exclusive to this arrangement. It only gives them a gold sync and makes so many things harder to accomplish that goal. It is the one significant thorn that I see, since working around it is almost impossible.
    Edited by FlopsyPrince on September 6, 2019 2:02AM
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭
    Nodes are randomized,@FlopsyPrince ... so there’s no set location to farm Cornflower on its own.

There are some zones that have a high concentration of nodes in certain areas ... or are otherwise quiet.

The beginner zones are pretty quiet: Stros M’kai, Bal Foyen, Khenarthi’s Roost, Betnikh, and Bleakrock.

Remember, the guild trader system isn’t “broken” just because the prices aren’t what you want to pay. Demand pricing is working fine.

No, it is broken because it is incredibly hard to find many things when you want them. It is broken because you can only list 30 items per guild at a time and are subject to whether they win a bit this week or not.

It is horrid, yet a lot of people like it, mostly because they are very used to it and profit greatly, especially if they can make money flipping items because finding out a good price is so difficult.

====

Farming mats in the starting zones means you need to compete with all the bots doing the same, though even that has minimal promise of Cornflower, the point of this post.

I can live with that and I am fine with people charging what they can, but claiming farming is a great alternative just waiting to be tried is disingenuous.

I know of some places that give you plenty of alchemy (and other mats) ingredients, that respawn quickly and have no bots. If you go at the right time there also won't be many other players. Message me and I'll describe where they are. That's assuming you want to farm a bit.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ardaghion wrote: »
    Nodes are randomized,@FlopsyPrince ... so there’s no set location to farm Cornflower on its own.

There are some zones that have a high concentration of nodes in certain areas ... or are otherwise quiet.

The beginner zones are pretty quiet: Stros M’kai, Bal Foyen, Khenarthi’s Roost, Betnikh, and Bleakrock.

Remember, the guild trader system isn’t “broken” just because the prices aren’t what you want to pay. Demand pricing is working fine.

No, it is broken because it is incredibly hard to find many things when you want them. It is broken because you can only list 30 items per guild at a time and are subject to whether they win a bit this week or not.

It is horrid, yet a lot of people like it, mostly because they are very used to it and profit greatly, especially if they can make money flipping items because finding out a good price is so difficult.

====

Farming mats in the starting zones means you need to compete with all the bots doing the same, though even that has minimal promise of Cornflower, the point of this post.

I can live with that and I am fine with people charging what they can, but claiming farming is a great alternative just waiting to be tried is disingenuous.

I know of some places that give you plenty of alchemy (and other mats) ingredients, that respawn quickly and have no bots. If you go at the right time there also won't be many other players. Message me and I'll describe where they are. That's assuming you want to farm a bit.

I always appreciate good farming locations. I needed the water a while back because I pushed the skill up on a character without thinking of that. I found some around Khenarthi's Roost, but I would be glad to find a zone with decent water that respawned somewhat quickly. I found that the water respawning was much slower than the other nodes.

Sometimes just being able to stand in the middle of several water spots and then grab them in between doing things on my computer would be helpful.
    PC
    PS4/PS5