Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How did Power overload suddenly get so super strong

• Lord_Bidr
    Lord_Bidr
    ✭✭✭
    Soul_Demon wrote: »
    Well, the short story is it will be only thing you see in cyro in a few weeks, no other class’ or skills to be spoken of. Currently we already have group of 6 sorcs running exclusively overload builds in one group of only 6- so expect full guilds to be doing this in a week.

Sorc ability and with sorcs being spec’ed in lightning- lightning sets players off balance for an increase of 70% to damage. Overload is lowest cost hardest hitting ulti in game. You can have up to 500 and no other ulti allows this, use it on multiple targets and its toggleable. Average hit on combat dummies is per tic (each one is only 20 ulti cost mind you of the 500) 22k to 24k per tick, total damage on dummies for entire ulti is about 3.6 MILLION damage for the single ulti on 7 dummies (robust)……but even better is if you combine it with Elegant and Vicious Death sets you can effectively triple that damage in Cyro (estimated) to somewhere between 3.5 million to 10.5 million for full duration on groups of players (of course the resistances will impact this but when you are dealing with that kind of damage output for one ulti then really they are not important at all).

Another feature of it is that you can use as little as 20 ulti to get off 22k-24k…..effectively keeping it up 24/7 if you go in with it fully charged to fights. Now it CANOT be interrupted …... And one last little nice thing about it is that you can use champion points to increase light and heavy attacks- pumping up damage even more. Still one more benefit is the "Conal 15x6" range on it means it can be done from walls and through grates to players below and at significant range.

So…..someone who was ‘balancing’ the game and damage was either drunk or high when they did this. Probably laughing hysterically now about it too.

This. And to drill the point home, I strongly encourage everyone and their mother/father/aunt/uncle to run Overload on their sorcs, then we shall see if people feel it isn't overpowered.
    ~ The brightest lights often cast the darkest shadows. ~
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% sure ZOS will also nerf the Light attack or the skill in general instead of HA.

Nerf hammer comming

AGAIN FOR SORC

R.I.P for 3 mounths.

What people will complain next ? 200% sure it will be streak.
  • Earthewen
    Earthewen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, I think we could leave sorcs alone, but only if we allow the Blade of Woe for all nightblades from stealth in Cyrodiil! That would certainly make me happy and is probably equivalent to the damage done with OL heavy attacks right now. Yeah, let's do that!
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aedaryl wrote: »
    100% sure ZOS will also nerf the Light attack or the skill in general instead of HA.

Nerf hammer comming

AGAIN FOR SORC

R.I.P for 3 mounths.

Speaking of streak, didn't they reduce the cost of it and buff shields too in this patch? 60% of max health and perma streaks without meaningful costs associated? Hmmmmmm
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soul_Demon wrote: »
    Aedaryl wrote: »

Nerf hammer comming

AGAIN FOR SORC

R.I.P for 3 mounths.

Speaking of streak, didn't they reduce the cost of it and buff shields too in this patch? 60% of max health and perma streaks without meaningful costs associated? Hmmmmmm

Nope.

Reaching the old cap was not even possible, reaching the new one is not possible too.

They nerfed shield size and the most important : they completly made shield unsustainable by increasing hardened ward by 810 and by nerfing harness (that harness needed the nerf).

By changing clench, streak is now the only good sorc option for stunning, meaning that sorc is no longer a range class.

Also, streak being used for actively stunning and sorc being forced to melee range, the cost decrease punishment doesn't increase sorc sustain, because you start escaping at +1 punishment stack (u stunned before) and you are in melee so you need to streak more for getting distance.

Sorc got completly trashed. They destroyed pets and shield, aswell as giving other classes better synergy with the new generics HoT.

• mook-eb16_ESO
    mook-eb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    zos just want to pigeon hole players into playing 1 way instead of providing a range of balanced skills to diversify play.
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even with a crappy, incompetent patch full of nerfs for sorcs here now to placate pvp nerf whiners, the babies never learn. Cry cry cry, day in day out.

No wonder this game is so bad and generic, a reflection of the player base. Love the new ignorant fanboi jargon "overperforming" also, as if that makes overpowered sound more logical and less of a crybaby mewl when they inflict their gamer moronics on the English language.

But you aren't fooling anyone. Can't lipstick a nerf whiner pig.

Back in the day when shields were stackable and based on magicka, curse and frags MUCH stronger, there was a reason to cry about sorcs. Even I joined in when people could stack tens of thousands of shields and still have truly monstrous spell damage with ult level damage on spammables. Even the pet criers had a good point about LOS and OP birds recently. No longer.

Crying about the sorcerer class, anything it does, going forward after this patch, is a sure tell of a terrible player and weasel of a crybaby.
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    buttaface wrote: »
    Even with a crappy, incompetent patch full of nerfs for sorcs here now to placate pvp nerf whiners, the babies never learn. Cry cry cry, day in day out.

No wonder this game is so bad and generic, a reflection of the player base. Love the new ignorant fanboi jargon "overperforming" also, as if that makes overpowered sound more logical and less of a crybaby mewl when they inflict their gamer moronics on the English language.

Back in the day when shields were stackable and based on magicka, curse and frags MUCH stronger, there was a reason to cry about sorcs. Even I joined in when people could stack tens of thousands of shields and still have truly monstrous spell damage with ult level damage on spammables. Even the pet criers had a good point about LOS and OP birds recently. No longer.

Crying about the sorcerer class, anything it does, going forward after this patch, is a sure tell of a terrible player and weasel of a crybaby.

No need to nerf it, bois and gurls

Just give equivalent damage per ulti to my ultimates. Someone said heavy attack overload is 20 ulti (plz confirm) if so, then...

Let my NB 80 ulti cause a 4x9k = 36k actual damage (not tooltip!) to someone with max resists and 3k impen

Let my 110 ulti leap cause a 5.5 x 9k= 49.5 damage

Let my Dawnbreaker...ok you get the idea.

Then let's see who comes crying to the forums!!
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    We really needed the next "nerf sorcs" thread, on day 1 of the umptenth heavy magsorc nerf expansions.
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wheels on the bus go round and round
  • heng14rwb17_ESO
    heng14rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    GO SORC OR GO CRY !
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theignson wrote: »
    Just give equivalent damage per ulti to my ultimates. Someone said heavy attack overload is 20 ulti (plz confirm) if so, then...

Let my NB 80 ulti cause a 4x9k = 36k actual damage (not tooltip!) to someone with max resists and 3k impen

Sounds great. I play DK and NB too! BTW when will my Sorc's CLOAK and DK stuff be coming in the mail? My Mag Sorc could sure use PERMANENT EMPOWER on its HAs... as one of several possible examples. Or maybe it can just put on a bow and do Snipe damage at 35m?

FAIL.

[snip]

[edited for baiting/bashing comments]
    Edited by ZOS_RogerJ on August 13, 2019 7:01PM
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My CwC era overload build has a 25k tooltip without any buffs from VMA Wall, etc. If you think overload isn't hitting very hard per tick, I'm not sure what kind of sorcs you are facing.
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It still amazes me that nobody speaks about the maelstrom lightning staff in any overload thread :D
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean it was common for a very long time before things like Meteor and Weapon Ults came into play.
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    heavy stamDK here. from before and after 5.1.5, it sucks to get hit under 2 sec with Overload and gets blown up every single time, anywhere between 6k - 11k per tick.

yes this is a group fight, yes i have 25k+ resistance before volatile armor.

what other class have this kind of ultimate?
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No need to nerf it, bois and gurls

I can confirm my numbers listed including the 3.6 million damage for ONE single ulti- tested it and the 20 ulti to cast, yes they can cast it with as little as 20 ulti on bar, no other ulti is that cheap for say 22k guaranteed damage. Testing was done on Robust dummies, put 7 in a group to test the 3.6 million to see what the 'average' sorc could do in cyro using them....and that is only the average, not max. So a sorc who has it charged to 500 essentially only uses enough to get one VD in middle of group he just used streak and invis pots to get into and bam, whole group down.....then streaks away. Lucky for us ZOS made the skill uninterruptable now so you cant do that to stop him from streaking in and out while invis and repeatedly doing this without meaningful end to the "ulti" until charge drops below 20 (cost of ulti Per tick) If you really take it to account you stop the ulti when you have desired result and keep rest .....the 500 of it means using only 20 of it you can get 22k damage average tic of 20, causing VD proc........25 times in row.

@ZOS_GinaBruno, @ZOS_JessicaFolsom, @ZOS_BrianWheeler, @ZOS_RichLambert, @ZOS_RobGarrett, @ZOS_SarahHecker
    Edited by Soul_Demon on August 13, 2019 12:39PM
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davadin wrote: »
    heavy stamDK here. from before and after 5.1.5, it sucks to get hit under 2 sec with Overload and gets blown up every single time, anywhere between 6k - 11k per tick.

The normal reaction of every half decent StamDK when overloaded is: laugh, jumb-block, meditate, laugh, venom claw, jumb-block, meditate, laugh.

By the way resistances are not particularly relevant in "group fights", it is the damage reduction in %. Things like Deadly Cloak, Bastion of the Heartland, minor and major protection.

Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thraben wrote: »

The normal reaction of every half decent StamDK when overloaded is: laugh, jumb-block, meditate, laugh, venom claw, jumb-block, meditate, laugh.

By the way resistances are not particularly relevant in "group fights", it is the damage reduction in %. Things like Deadly Cloak, Bastion of the Heartland, minor and major protection.

whats the effect of jumping again? and blocking means, i have to use a shield?

and jeez I HAVE to slot meditate now?

all that for just for 1 ulti?

[snip]

no other ulti can tick twice (that's potentially 2 *** second) and hit a heavy armor with 25k+ resistance for a total of 22,000 damage. in 2 maybe 3 sec.

none.

my DK leap or new Onslaught or Bow's or DB... none of them hits for 20k.

but hey, i'm not really calling for a nerf (yet), but i'd love to know how to deal with it reliably.

clearly u never use Overload the way some veteran player in CP PvP does........

[edited for non-constructive comment]
    Edited by ZOS_RogerJ on August 13, 2019 7:05PM
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thraben wrote: »

oh btw i had the new Turn Evil with minor protection on last night because its still only rank 1, and after 2hr in Cyro, minor protection does nothing to Power Overload. guaranteed.
  • Araviel2
    Araviel2
    ✭✭✭

playing Heavy is your problem. Get used to that you can't tank everything this patch.
    (just 25k base res as a heavy nord DK I think is low btw, think you gone over the top on something else, and for that you ofc got to pay)

Overload Sorc's stack penetration, spinners and the lover are often used, sometimes even both with divines.
    (understand that those extreme damage overload sorcs are running heavily specialized one sided builds and are good at very little else)
    So you can mitigate more in medium armor with major evasion and some defensive set's, or if you like to stick to heavy get Hist bark.

Also.. why are you not complaining about corrosive or the 2 hand ultimate ?
    People using that can kill you faster than any Overload sorc can.
    Edited by Araviel2 on August 13, 2019 1:23PM
    Araviel -Professional Zerg surfing mutagen spammer [DC-EU]
  • Hashtag_
    Hashtag_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Earthewen wrote: »
    BNOC wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what happened with this ability. I know patch 5.05 increased its damage by 10% but that can't explain this. Did they change some synergy with blockade of storms or something like that? Did a change in CP boost it? Or a new set?

Suddenly all the usual troll groups are running with multiple sorcs using this. It's like when Goliath Bash was OP and all the trolls were hitting pugs with multiple bashes. In the area death notices the vast majority of deaths streaming by are now power overload. My 33k spell resist/3 k crit resist DK got hit with an 11k attack. I routinely get hit by 2-3 sorcs with overload in a big fight.

Large scale fights are now super dangerous for stam melees with limited mobility; you are meleeing and multiple sorcs sneak up and destroy you with overload from behind.

Do you mean zerg fights? Because overload has almost always been a beginner friendly skill (esp back at 1k stored) and it's not uncommon to see them firing about. It got quiet when pets became their new go-to but I guess it's creeping back.

If it's actually "troll" groups -whatever that is- then it's probably just used in conjunction with elemental weapon (if that works) and elegance etc.

Ok this makes some sense. Elemental weapon + Blockade of storms + elegance+ an increase boost from CP in last patch +a 10% boost to damage in the last patch

Exactly, @Theignson. It has become the "easy button" for less skilled groups really. Unfortunately, it would seem that ZOS is catering to the "easy button seekers".

But what about skilled groups that run it?
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Araviel2 wrote: »

playing Heavy is your problem. Get used to that you can't tank everything this patch.
    (just 25k base res as a heavy nord DK I think is low btw, think you gone over the top on something else, and for that you ofc got to pay)
    yes, im normally a medium build. using heavy this patch coz it seems to make me survive more on the pre-patch few last days... i just need to re-learn my rotation and gear better.

....but...
    Also.. why are you not complaining about corrosive or the 2 hand ultimate ?
    People using that can kill you faster than any Overload sorc can.

this is simply not true.

i tried both and its not respecting DoTs anymore, so only direct damage. AND Onslaught is still dodgeable. with enough HoT and health, even if u got full penetration, after unleashing 200-ulti CA or 150-ulti Onslaught, general population do not have anything else that can hit that hard.......

again, im still standing by Overload has ridicolous damage.

that being said
    Overload Sorc's stack penetration, spinners and the lover are often used, sometimes even both with divines.
    (understand that those extreme damage overload sorcs are running heavily specialized one sided builds and are good at very little else)
    So you can mitigate more in medium armor with major evasion and some defensive set's, or if you like to stick to heavy get Hist bark.
    good info! thanks.

I may go back to medium again and maybe even bring some Divine with Warrior mundus to blow someone up with Onslaught?
  • ZOS_RogerJ
    ZOS_RogerJ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings! Just a friendly reminder that it’s okay and very normal to disagree with others, and even to debate, but provoking conflict, baiting, inciting, mocking, etc. is never acceptable in the official The Elder Scrolls Online community. If you do not have something constructive or meaningful to add to a discussion, we strongly recommend you refrain from posting in that thread.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okay so.....I have been out of the game for a bit and no idea OL was such a thing! Here I was playing a Sorc in PvP, dropping Stormy all over the place getting all sorts of kills. I hear about OL one night and decide to give it a whirl...let's just say I absolutely sucked LOL. I died all the time and my kill counter went down....down...down.

What is this so called magic you refer to as Overload or was I just that bad???
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC
    Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
    Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
    Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
    Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, you just weren't buffed enough and the opponent debuffed enough or glass cannon enough to cause people to run to the forum and post nerf threads based on meaningless recaps and tool tips out of context.

If OL were truly as powerful and cheap and easy as the nerf-herders claim, why would there be anything other than full OL builds in trials? Did those endgame raid leading folks... who spend every waking moment theorycrafting every skill, set and combination of them... just somehow overlook a way to trivialize high end content... provided what OP and others in the thread are claiming is true?

Go on youtube and you -can- find a small -handful- of OL PvP builds, many old... in a sea of Snipe, 2H alpha, Destro staff alpha, bomber and many many other PvP builds. OL in concert is good for attacking player stacks, just not as good as mage guild ult, destro ult, both with 28 m range, or other shorter range options.

Thread is pure out of context hype to the point of annoyance just after massive mag sorcerer nerfs went live.
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭

No, you just weren't buffed enough and the opponent debuffed enough or glass cannon enough to cause people to run to the forum and post nerf threads based on meaningless recaps and tool tips out of context.

If OL were truly as powerful and cheap and easy as the nerf-herders claim, why would there be anything other than full OL builds in trials? Did those endgame raid leading folks... who spend every waking moment theorycrafting every skill, set and combination of them... just somehow overlook a way to trivialize high end content... provided what OP and others in the thread are claiming is true?

Go on youtube and you -can- find a small -handful- of OL PvP builds, many old... in a sea of Snipe, 2H alpha, Destro staff alpha, bomber and many many other PvP builds. OL in concert is good for attacking player stacks, just not as good as mage guild ult, destro ult, both with 28 m range, or other shorter range options.

Thread is pure out of context hype to the point of annoyance just after massive mag sorcerer nerfs went live.

Thank you! I know I am not the best player out there and if I was epic failing with Overload then there must not really be a secret sauce I was missing. I also don't run in a guild with a lot of sorcs - I am often the lone wolf in the group. A lovely one with hands like Sith Lord. Oh yeah I forgot, I dropped overload like the over hyped but mediocre TV show that it really is.
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh god, Sorc nerf requests dont stop. Better erase whole class.
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay so.....I have been out of the game for a bit and no idea OL was such a thing! Here I was playing a Sorc in PvP, dropping Stormy all over the place getting all sorts of kills. I hear about OL one night and decide to give it a whirl...let's just say I absolutely sucked LOL. I died all the time and my kill counter went down....down...down.

You have to build right for overload to work like people are complaining about you also need your opponent to be off balance to increase its damage by 70%

When these line up you are insta dead from overload and that's the problem. I have a fully lvled sorc, I like sorcs so I don't wana call for all kinds of nerfs but nothing in pvp should be able to instagib someone just by holding left mouse button for 2 seconds doing 24k plus damage.

Luckily there is only a handful of sorcs actually doing this the right way
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭

You have to build right for overload to work like people are complaining about you also need your opponent to be off balance to increase its damage by 70%

When these line up you are insta dead from overload and that's the problem. I have a fully lvled sorc, I like sorcs so I don't wana call for all kinds of nerfs but nothing in pvp should be able to instagib someone just by holding left mouse button for 2 seconds doing 24k plus damage.

Luckily there is only a handful of sorcs actually doing this the right way

So there is a secret sauce - just not that readily available it sounds like! Honestly I don't love using OL enough to create a build around it.
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC