Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How did Power overload suddenly get so super strong

• WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only person getting hit with 12k overloads is someone that didn't build right. I hit people that build correctly for like 3k with overload and people that block for like 1 to 1.5k. Just block forehead.

I'm done 1vXing this thread. Last thing I will say is you can build right and get hit for 12k and you are def not building right if you're only hitting 3k. ****in' forehead
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They're doing so much damage because of the 70% boost in heavy attack damage from off-balance. High risk high reward mechanics are good and I like seeing large groups die but imo Overload is overtuned right now. Either the range should be reduced, it should stay bashable, or that 70% heavy attack bonus on off-balance should be looked at.

Sure you have to build for cheese Overload but other than that you are holding left click to do a ton of damage. Someone has to do a lot of work to compete with the amount of damage these builds can put out and since they're sorcs they can easily shield or streak away = no risk. I feel this has been overlooked by ZOS, it's hard to imagine them being ok with amount of dmg considering some of the other things they nerf.

"Holding left click..." LOL. This is such a silly line of reasoning. Is there any ultimate in the game that ISN'T activated by pressing a button? Also, holding down the attack button is one of the things that makes Overload kills so hard to pull off: you can't do almost anything else while your doing a heavy attack! You can't block, you can't cast other spells, you can't run fast. I don't think you can dodge, either, without breaking off the attack... somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Nope. You’re not wrong. While you are channeling the heavy Overload, you can’t do anything else.
  • NuarBlack
    NuarBlack
    ✭✭✭✭
    The most powerful overload was during the dw torugs pact meta but most people didn't know cause DW hasn't been meta for magicka for awhile. But it would proc your enchants as well. So DW + torugs let me wipe whole teams in BGs. Now on live you have to sacrifice too much to get it to hit hard and be too vulnerable while using it on such a glassy build. Also Negate is too powerful against coordinated teams to not use now and potatoes flop to curse, frags, wrath combo anyway. Either that or you were crutching on the pet sorc meta so you ran atro.
  • NuarBlack
    NuarBlack
    ✭✭✭✭
    Araviel2 wrote: »
    frostz417 wrote: »
    Nothing happen, its been good for a long time. It's just evolution.
    Ball groups finally figured out Negate was somewhat over hyped, (mainly because ball groups does not fight ball groups anymore)
    and other players figured out how to counter Atro hugging sorc's with aoe.

Overload has been a staple skill ever since we got Molag Keena, and DW sorc's have been rocking it forever.
    It just got popularized recently again by twitch streamers and youtubers and adopted by Sorc's looking for a new meta.

Edit: one thing happen though - we got minor heroism pots.
    this have made recharging overload less of a hassle

This guy really said negate is overhyped LOLOLOL

yea I think it was (and note I said was as in the past)
    Its not anymore and people have caught on, no ball groups runs with 5-8 negate sorcs anymore and the only time you see negates in Cyrodil nowadays are in tower fights.

Well a well placed negate is about the only way to take down a coordinated group with a magicka healer in BGs these days so it definitely isn't overrated now. Just people tend to gravitate to the no brainer ults that you can just blow and get easy kills on potatoes.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LEAVE OUR OVERLOAD ALONE !!!

PVP yet again, everything ZOS nerfs because you guys have demanded it, has a direct nerf effect on PVE too.....which has not been asked for.

Just leave sorcs alone for a change!!!
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have yet to be killed by anyone doing this, although I have, in fact, killed a bunch of people myself with OL heavy attacks.

Perhaps because Sorc has the best on-demand counter to get out of the aoe -- streak. No other class has a free form teleport. Even Undo often fails.
  • Synapsis123
    Synapsis123
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only person getting hit with 12k overloads is someone that didn't build right. I hit people that build correctly for like 3k with overload and people that block for like 1 to 1.5k. Just block forehead.

I'm done 1vXing this thread. Last thing I will say is you can build right and get hit for 12k and you are def not building right if you're only hitting 3k. ****in' forehead

If you build right and they build right it only does 3k. The only people you are hitting or critting for 12k are pugs who aren't wearing impen, don't have resists, and didn't distribute cp properly.
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you build right and they build right it only does 3k. The only people you are hitting or critting for 12k are pugs who aren't wearing impen, don't have resists, and didn't distribute cp properly.

That's completly false I get hit for enormous numbers wearing heavy impen and impregnable.

It's needs a nerf way to many people running this crap. It's just like Goliath bash your dead before you can even react especially with the massive lag in pvp now.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nerf nerf nerf everything. Let’s pass out water balloons instead.
  • HankTwo
    HankTwo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavy overload on a target with off-balance will generate truly insane damage next patch. 70 freaking percent of extra damage on an ult that already deals very high DPS, damn...
    PC EU
    Stam DK, Magden, Magplar, Stamcro, Hybrid Sorc, Magblade & Mag DK
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HankTwo wrote: »
    Heavy overload on a target with off-balance will generate truly insane damage next patch. 70 freaking percent of extra damage on an ult that already deals very high DPS, damn...
    So umm... mag sorc will be better ganker than your average gank-blade ? Just... just LOL...
  • Araviel2
    Araviel2
    ✭✭✭
    NuarBlack wrote: »
    Nothing happen, its been good for a long time. It's just evolution.
    Ball groups finally figured out Negate was somewhat over hyped, (mainly because ball groups does not fight ball groups anymore)
    and other players figured out how to counter Atro hugging sorc's with aoe.

Overload has been a staple skill ever since we got Molag Keena, and DW sorc's have been rocking it forever.
    It just got popularized recently again by twitch streamers and youtubers and adopted by Sorc's looking for a new meta.

Edit: one thing happen though - we got minor heroism pots.
    this have made recharging overload less of a hassle

yea I think it was (and note I said was as in the past)
    Its not anymore and people have caught on, no ball groups runs with 5-8 negate sorcs anymore and the only time you see negates in Cyrodil nowadays are in tower fights.

Well a well placed negate is about the only way to take down a coordinated group with a magicka healer in BGs these days so it definitely isn't overrated now. Just people tend to gravitate to the no brainer ults that you can just blow and get easy kills on potatoes.

Yea, but you only need one well placed one, not 8.
    This is what I mean, it used to be so over hyped that you could see ball groups where every Sorc ran it with Potentates builds, like 5-8 and they spamming it like candy even in open field and they had *** poor damage.
    But its a situational ultimate that is for most of the time not needed and you win more by killing fast.

So that is one small reason why we see a bit more overload.
    Most still just shifted to EoS because its better for mobile groups and you can cast other skills while using it,
    But Overload is cheap and on demand and very effective in defensive choke-points so even some ball groups are using it now.
    Araviel -Professional Zerg surfing mutagen spammer [DC-EU]
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So umm... mag sorc will be better ganker than your average gank-blade ? Just... just LOL...

There is no way to reliably proc off-balance as a meta MagSorc, at least in NoCP. Wall of Elements requires both time and a willing victim.

Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just not true.

As I said, my heavy armor Stam DK got hit with an 11k tick with 33k spell 37k physical resist plus 3k impen and of course 810 cp with good defensive CP. True, I wasn't blocking on that tick but while meleeing I'm often not blocking. But no other ultimate can do that to me.

You don't have to nerf this, you can just raise the damage of other ultimates. For example, how much ultimate does a single overload heavy attack cost? Is it really 25 ultimate per heavy attack? If so you could make incap, for example hit for 27k for 75 ultimate. You could make dawnbreaker hit for...well you get the idea.

Can someone confirm how much each overload heavy attack costs in ultimate ?

Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NuarBlack wrote: »

So that is one small reason why we see a bit more overload.
    Most still just shifted to EoS because its better for mobile groups and you can cast other skills while using it,
    But Overload is cheap and on demand and very effective in defensive choke-points so even some ball groups are using it now.

Excellent point, yes it's deadly at chokepoints. Tower humpers can defend strongly with it.
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It isn't super strong. Not at all. It is pretty cool though running it while wearing Auroran's and Overwhelming Surge (I ran this combo on PTS). Everything is shock, shock, shock!

Hard to see what is going on though TBH so just move into a mob and light em up.
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Good thing they made it so you can't interrupt it next patch 2 right :lol:
  • Undefwun
    Undefwun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurelle1 wrote: »
    PVP'ers angling for another sorc nerf?

Sorcs defending another cheese build?

In seriousness though, why does it seem it’s always mag sorcs with some of the cheesiest builds?

Drank Sinatra Sr - PvP Magblade - DC
    Juggathot - PvP Mag Sorc - DC
    Jedi Mind Crits - PvP A-Hole Bowblade - DC
    Dollar Store Thor - PvP Stamplar - DC
    The Bone Sumpremacy - baby Stamcro - DC
    Wârden Freeman - PvP Stamden - DC (on hold)
    Lauryn Heal - PvE Magplar DPS - DC

Lil Orc Chop - PvP Stam Sorc - EP
    Hamuel L Jackson - PvE DPS & PvP Stam DK - EP
    Chandler Bling - PvP Magden - EP

Mahalia Lightborn - exiled crafting toon - cos you know, she's AD
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Undefwun wrote: »
    PVP'ers angling for another sorc nerf?

Sorcs defending another cheese build?

In seriousness though, why does it seem it’s always mag sorcs with some of the cheesiest builds?

Overtime, I've realized that people only see "cheese" with other people. Never themselves. :)
  • Undefwun
    Undefwun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »

Overtime, I've realized that people only see "cheese" with other people. Never themselves. :)

Mmm some ppl that is true for.

Most are well aware, just don’t care. Whatever gets easy kills.

The worst category are great players, who don’t need to cheese, doing it for the lols.
    Edited by Undefwun on August 11, 2019 2:10AM
    Drank Sinatra Sr - PvP Magblade - DC
    Juggathot - PvP Mag Sorc - DC
    Jedi Mind Crits - PvP A-Hole Bowblade - DC
    Dollar Store Thor - PvP Stamplar - DC
    The Bone Sumpremacy - baby Stamcro - DC
    Wârden Freeman - PvP Stamden - DC (on hold)
    Lauryn Heal - PvE Magplar DPS - DC

Lil Orc Chop - PvP Stam Sorc - EP
    Hamuel L Jackson - PvE DPS & PvP Stam DK - EP
    Chandler Bling - PvP Magden - EP

Mahalia Lightborn - exiled crafting toon - cos you know, she's AD
  • Adernath
    Adernath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's 12k ticks on players, not tooltips.

That's in the order I too got some day. Even more, around 15k ticks. Usually I am capable of surviving any other burst stuff.
  • heng14rwb17_ESO
    heng14rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    GO OVERLORD OR GO CRY !
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    another "it killed me" therefore because im so good it must be OP so break it so it dont hurt no more post
  • Conteso
    Conteso
    Soul Shriven
    Despite the recent 10% dmg increase almost pitifully weak still, sadly. In addition it doesn't fire off reliably.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theignson wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what happened with this ability. I know patch 5.05 increased its damage by 10% but that can't explain this. Did they change some synergy with blockade of storms or something like that? Did a change in CP boost it? Or a new set?

Suddenly all the usual troll groups are running with multiple sorcs using this. It's like when Goliath Bash was OP and all the trolls were hitting pugs with multiple bashes. In the area death notices the vast majority of deaths streaming by are now power overload. My 33k spell resist/3 k crit resist DK got hit with an 11k attack. I routinely get hit by 2-3 sorcs with overload in a big fight.

Large scale fights are now super dangerous for stam melees with limited mobility; you are meleeing and multiple sorcs sneak up and destroy you with overload from behind.

Super strong? You should have seen it before the 50% Nerf....

But its easy as hell to mitigate is the trade off.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're doing so much damage because of the 70% boost in heavy attack damage from off-balance. High risk high reward mechanics are good and I like seeing large groups die but imo Overload is overtuned right now. Either the range should be reduced, it should stay bashable, or that 70% heavy attack bonus on off-balance should be looked at.

Sure you have to build for cheese Overload but other than that you are holding left click to do a ton of damage. Someone has to do a lot of work to compete with the amount of damage these builds can put out and since they're sorcs they can easily shield or streak away = no risk. I feel this has been overlooked by ZOS, it's hard to imagine them being ok with amount of dmg considering some of the other things they nerf.

"Holding left click..." LOL. This is such a silly line of reasoning. Is there any ultimate in the game that ISN'T activated by pressing a button? Also, holding down the attack button is one of the things that makes Overload kills so hard to pull off: you can't do almost anything else while your doing a heavy attack! You can't block, you can't cast other spells, you can't run fast. I don't think you can dodge, either, without breaking off the attack... somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Spot on.

It's a potatoe cannon / scrub killer.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • WeylandLabs
    WeylandLabs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LEAVE OUR OVERLOAD ALONE !!!

PVP yet again, everything ZOS nerfs because you guys have demanded it, has a direct nerf effect on PVE too.....which has not been asked for.

Just leave sorcs alone for a change!!!

😂 I'm dying right now - lmfao

It's like you know where this thread is going to lead too. 👍
  • MajBludd
    MajBludd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Usually see them hidden in a group of tanks. The group roots or ccs you then the sorc hits you with overload. That's been my experience, haven't seen too many solo sorcs using it, yet.
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the short story is it will be only thing you see in cyro in a few weeks, no other class’ or skills to be spoken of. Currently we already have group of 6 sorcs running exclusively overload builds in one group of only 6- so expect full guilds to be doing this in a week.

Sorc ability and with sorcs being spec’ed in lightning- lightning sets players off balance for an increase of 70% to damage. Overload is lowest cost hardest hitting ulti in game. You can have up to 500 and no other ulti allows this, use it on multiple targets and its toggleable. Average hit on combat dummies is per tic (each one is only 20 ulti cost mind you of the 500) 22k to 24k per tick, total damage on dummies for entire ulti is about 3.6 MILLION damage for the single ulti on 7 dummies (robust)……but even better is if you combine it with Elegant and Vicious Death sets you can effectively triple that damage in Cyro (estimated) to somewhere between 3.6 million to 10.5 million for full duration on groups of players (of course the resistances will impact this but when you are dealing with that kind of damage output for one ulti then really they are not important at all and you would need 7 or so to be in a group). Streak and invis pots means you can have rather simple entry to groups of say.....20 or more and maximize the damage impact with little chance too many could even move away in time.

Another feature of it is that you can use as little as 20 ulti to get off 22k-24k…..effectively keeping it up 24/7 if you go in with it fully charged to fights. Now it CANNOT be interrupted …... And one last little nice thing about it is that you can use champion points to increase light and heavy attacks- pumping up damage even more. Still one more benefit is the "Conal 15x6" range on it means it can be done from walls and through grates to players below and at significant range.

So…..someone who was ‘balancing’ the game and damage was either drunk or high when they did this. Probably laughing hysterically now about it too. Maybe one of the PvP devs can comment.

@ZOS_GinaBruno, @ZOS_JessicaFolsom, @ZOS_BrianWheeler, @ZOS_RichLambert, @ZOS_RobGarrett, @ZOS_SarahHecker

Edited by Soul_Demon on August 13, 2019 12:27PM
  • Earthewen
    Earthewen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BNOC wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what happened with this ability. I know patch 5.05 increased its damage by 10% but that can't explain this. Did they change some synergy with blockade of storms or something like that? Did a change in CP boost it? Or a new set?

Suddenly all the usual troll groups are running with multiple sorcs using this. It's like when Goliath Bash was OP and all the trolls were hitting pugs with multiple bashes. In the area death notices the vast majority of deaths streaming by are now power overload. My 33k spell resist/3 k crit resist DK got hit with an 11k attack. I routinely get hit by 2-3 sorcs with overload in a big fight.

Large scale fights are now super dangerous for stam melees with limited mobility; you are meleeing and multiple sorcs sneak up and destroy you with overload from behind.

Do you mean zerg fights? Because overload has almost always been a beginner friendly skill (esp back at 1k stored) and it's not uncommon to see them firing about. It got quiet when pets became their new go-to but I guess it's creeping back.

If it's actually "troll" groups -whatever that is- then it's probably just used in conjunction with elemental weapon (if that works) and elegance etc.

Ok this makes some sense. Elemental weapon + Blockade of storms + elegance+ an increase boost from CP in last patch +a 10% boost to damage in the last patch

Exactly, @Theignson. It has become the "easy button" for less skilled groups really. Unfortunately, it would seem that ZOS is catering to the "easy button seekers".
    Edited by Earthewen on August 12, 2019 4:11PM