Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can we just make summons illegal already? A rant about bears blocking stuff

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SoLooney wrote: »
    All summons should either be desummoned in major cities or given the necro treatment, a bounty

Major cities are already laggy with all the people and pets blocking stations and writ turns in and taking my frames just adds to the problem

You do know that at least one major city, Daggerfall, has quests that require combat in it, right? Now that I think about it, so do Orsinium, Davon's Watch, Vulkhel Guard, Anvil, Vivec, etc.

Plus with the Justice System and dueling, there's always the potential for combat.

City Guard: "I'm sorry, I realize you just got ambushed by Bloodthorn assassins, but no, you can't summon your twilight matriarch to heal your stab wounds. Wardens, no bear maulings allowed within city limits!"

Warden: "My bear has been here for the last two years."

Sorc: "Two years? My Matriarch's been here since launch!"

Guard: "Its a new city ordinance."

Warden: "There's an effing werewolf mauling people in your city, and you are worried about my bear?!"

Sorc: "You know, I think maybe the Bloodthorn have the right idea about doing away with the King..."

You dont need pets to do damage, if you do, even more reason to nerf pets as they require no skill to use and reward the player immensely

Pets are damage skills in the game so your logic is flawed. If you replaced the word pets with WoE it would make just as much sense.

IDK (obviously), maybe some people think slapping down WoE takes more skill than activating a volatile familiar but they both seem to take about the same amount of mental effort.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does people want more lore butchering?
    Conjuration is not necromancy. It's not illegal to summon lesser daedra in Elder Scrolls, no matter how many times people say it on this forum. Scamps, atronachs and other beings are summoned all the time by mages from the Mage's Guild and other "legal people", throughout the game series.
    Few bats an eye over it. The only time they start get worried is if they summon more powerful creatures, but they aren't shouting for the mage's arrest. They are more worried and scared they lose control and might die. Something that is not unique to someone doing conjuring. No, the same could be said about someone swinging their sword around wildly, throwing fireballs or alchemy bottles around them etc. Civilians are aware they are squishy and they worry.

Also, using Skyrim - The home of the race that is the most suspicious and disliking of all magic, is pretty bad as reasons go.

No weird "making -name- illegal". The lore takes a beating enough as it is. Instead I support a simple game mechanic that desummons combat pets (Like mounts are in some places) in crafting areas/near crafting stations. Nice and simple.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All summons should either be desummoned in major cities or given the necro treatment, a bounty

Major cities are already laggy with all the people and pets blocking stations and writ turns in and taking my frames just adds to the problem

You do know that at least one major city, Daggerfall, has quests that require combat in it, right? Now that I think about it, so do Orsinium, Davon's Watch, Vulkhel Guard, Anvil, Vivec, etc.

Plus with the Justice System and dueling, there's always the potential for combat.

City Guard: "I'm sorry, I realize you just got ambushed by Bloodthorn assassins, but no, you can't summon your twilight matriarch to heal your stab wounds. Wardens, no bear maulings allowed within city limits!"

Warden: "My bear has been here for the last two years."

Sorc: "Two years? My Matriarch's been here since launch!"

Guard: "Its a new city ordinance."

Warden: "There's an effing werewolf mauling people in your city, and you are worried about my bear?!"

Sorc: "You know, I think maybe the Bloodthorn have the right idea about doing away with the King..."

Guard: "Sorry you (accidentally) accepted a duel from that nightblade in the crafting area, his ghost is acceptable to us but not yours because you're the only class that can't duel near guards/witnesses. We guards promise not to teabag you if we do kill you."

If a player (even a brand new player) can't win those fights without their combat pets, they have a SERIOUS learn to play issue and that will be an excellent opportunity to learn an alternate strategy for those extremely easy fights that just don't occur all that often in cities. Not all skills are appropriate for all situations and it is a lesson to be learned.

I agree that most of those fights are easy.

But at the same time, you’re asking for a blanket ban on someone’s playstyle ... for your convenience only.

Do you see where this is going?

Why a partial ban on necro playstyle then? A new player questing in the city may be confused that changing into a Werewolf is legal but changing into a bone goliath is illegal.

Necros help set a precedent and thus could alleviate the LOS and duel problems at the same time. The new class can't duel in the typical city spots, so lets move duels to Hammerdeath/outside the city where they belong anyhow. If Sorc and Warden pets get disabled in the city also, they will stop LOS the crafting and reinforce the dueling outside the gates.

Or make Sorc summons singe bar with 16 second duration and adjust the values accordingly.

Consistency is more my argument over convenience.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why a partial ban on necro playstyle then?

Necros help set a precedent and thus could alleviate the LOS and duel problems at the same time.

Or make Sorc summons singe bar with 16 second duration and adjust the values accordingly.

Except you forgot the part about the Necromancer character generation screen that has the warning for players in bright red letters: “CRIMINAL ACT”. Necros don’t set a precedent for Sorcs and Wardens from the very start of a new character.

Are you sure making Sorc summons single bar with a 16 second duration would be “consistent”?

ESO Sorcerers have had a 5+ year run of being a permanent double bar pet. In past Elder Scrolls games you could keep a Storm Atronach permanently summoned. And now you want to do away with years of tradition and lore ... because you can’t move two steps to find an open spot at the crafting table.

Sounds like it’s for your convenience if you ask me.
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why a partial ban on necro playstyle then?

Necros help set a precedent and thus could alleviate the LOS and duel problems at the same time.

Except you forgot the part about the Necromancer character generation screen that has the warning for players in bright red letters: “CRIMINAL ACT”. Necros don’t set a precedent for Sorcs and Wardens from the very start of a new character.

Are you sure making Sorc summons single bar with a 16 second duration would be “consistent”?

ESO Sorcerers have had a 5+ year run of being a permanent double bar pet. In past Elder Scrolls games you could keep a Storm Atronach permanently summoned. And now you want to do away with years of tradition and lore ... because you can’t move two steps to find an open spot at the crafting table.

Sounds like it’s for your convenience if you ask me.

No, no, no. There are times when pets make access to things completely impossible. There is not the slightest reason for them to be allowed in these areas in an MMO. Appealing to lore from FPS games doesn't cut it.
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Instead I support a simple game mechanic that desummons combat pets (Like mounts are in some places) in crafting areas/near crafting stations. Nice and simple.

This is just like in real life. When people are too selfish eventually the law steps in.
    Like giving way to emergency vehicles. It's the law. Probably because not enough people gave a ***.
    Same with smoking and the subsequent smoking bans in many parts of the world.

The discussion we're having is only in part about lore-friendliness and using a mechanic newly available. That's actually a separate discussion independent of writ drop-off boxes or crafting stations.
    What the real discussion is about: "Are people sufficiently inconsiderate in obstructing the gameplay of others".

As the complaints about pets blocking access pile up, the answer will start moving more clearly to "YES". Then I can definitely see how the choice of being able to unsummon your pet in certain areas will be taken away and made mandatory.

Everywhere in the world, a handful of selfish people ruin things for everyone. Because once the law steps in, it cannot have a double-standard, and everyone gets hit whether you were personally part of the problem or not.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewing_gum_ban_in_Singapore
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on August 2, 2019 12:33AM
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are a PC player there is an addon called 'Pet Dismiss', which you bind to any key you want.

I have mine in the directional arrow group, with AI Research Grid and Master Recipe LIst toggles. Makes it much quicker, and easier to remember. Mostly.

Shame it doesn't work on other peoples' pets.

Edited by Aurie on August 2, 2019 1:02AM
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @TheRealPotoroo is right, there are many times you can not access the crafting station/banker/container/other NPC from any position. Bears can completely engulf the blacksmithing station. The flapping wings of the twilight matriarchs are like trying to enter a jump rope contest where the two ropes are already swinging and you have to time it just right to click during the brief opening, and end up jumping in place like an idiot over and over. I occasionally have to jump up on the bankers counter to interact with him/her because pets are in the way. In the crating area, I jump onto crates and other stuff if I can. Why should I have to do that, or just stand there waiting for 5 minutes or so until that player, who often is not crafting at all but rather digging through their inventory instead, finishes and finally moves?
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice if they could put an invisible wall around interactibles like crafting stations and quest/merchant/etc NPCs that blocks pets but not players. So they'd just bounce off it and be held at a distance away from them.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Adding a usable-out-of-combat Memento to unsummon pets and assistants might be an elegant solution that wouldn't require too much coding.
    Once added to the game, there'd be very little reason of personal inconvenience to unsummon your pets.

If people persist, then the issue becomes obviously one of selfishness, and whenever close to a guard, a pet could be automatically unsummoned.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on August 2, 2019 6:13AM