Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Furnishing Limit

• kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the case of large estates like the Psijic Villa, where you have a large courtyard and a main building, you can have 700 items in the exterior and 700 in the interior. I don't see how it would affect performance, since there are two separate instances. This is one of the solutions I would like to see. Instead of buying a new large house, I would buy slots upgrades instead for my favourite home. I wonder if anyone from their team considered this. I am sure such upgrades would be more popular than new large houses which remain 60% empty
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    kind_hero wrote: »
    In the case of large estates like the Psijic Villa, where you have a large courtyard and a main building, you can have 700 items in the exterior and 700 in the interior. I don't see how it would affect performance, since there are two separate instances. This is one of the solutions I would like to see. Instead of buying a new large house, I would buy slots upgrades instead for my favourite home. I wonder if anyone from their team considered this. I am sure such upgrades would be more popular than new large houses which remain 60% empty

Actually no you can't.
    Psijic Villa is just like all the rest of homes, 700 total slots, inside and out.
    I had to go test this after reading this, and yes, 700 total.... :)
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Actually no you can't.
    Psijic Villa is just like all the rest of homes, 700 total slots, inside and out.

I think he's suggesting it as a possibility?

You can't currently, no.

Personally, I hate loading screens, so would be driven even more mad if I had to have one between the inside and outside of houses.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe if it was only a couple of seconds, but if it was like the typical loading screen on PC/EU (i.e. 20 secs+), no thanks.
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »

Actually no you can't.

You can't currently, no.

Personally, I hate loading screens, so would be driven even more mad if I had to have one between the inside and outside of houses.

Ahh, your right. Sorry, I miss read... Not enough coffee yet... Lol!!
    Huzzah!!

And YES, that would be a great solution!!
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Actually no you can't.

You can't currently, no.

Ahh, your right. Sorry, I miss read... Not enough coffee yet... Lol!!
    Huzzah!!

No, I think it was due to it being ambiguously put, to be fair.

Not due to your lack of caffeine. :smile:
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hetaira wrote: »
    The problem is that your place is boring. It's not bad per say, but there isn't a single original idea or wow moment. I'm glad you are having fun and all that jazz, but it feels lifeless and lacking any wow factor. I had to block off at least 95% of my Tel Galen property to decorate mine, and I'm still desperately trying to find the 30 slots I can move to make a tiny library nook.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but yours is totally wrong. Provably.

Everything I've done in there is purely my own work.

Every angle you look from in the foyer is gorgeous.

And obviously you didn't notice the obvious.

Both in lighting colour and theme I've represented each of the four elements in each corner of the foyer.

Show me someone who has done that, eh?

Unoriginal and lacking wow factor. Ha! You suck as a judge.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nerouyn wrote: »
    Hetaira wrote: »
    The problem is that your place is boring. It's not bad per say, but there isn't a single original idea or wow moment. I'm glad you are having fun and all that jazz, but it feels lifeless and lacking any wow factor. I had to block off at least 95% of my Tel Galen property to decorate mine, and I'm still desperately trying to find the 30 slots I can move to make a tiny library nook.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but yours is totally wrong. Provably.

Everything I've done in there is purely my own work.

Every angle you look from in the foyer is gorgeous.

And obviously you didn't notice the obvious.

Both in lighting colour and theme I've represented each of the four elements in each corner of the foyer.

Show me someone who has done that, eh?

Unoriginal and lacking wow factor. Ha! You suck as a judge.

Everyone loves their own work :)
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really decorate like that - I don't do lots of large pieces, or make places look like indoor jungles, with lots of large plants (not that there is anything wrong with that, either).

You don't need to use lots of plants and I haven't. I've used a small number of big ones, with a splash of extras. It's just behind the fountain where I've gone full garden. With the exterior being so hideous I don't go outside. That space is my garden.

My point was that a small number of objects can do a lot of the heavy lifting. Tel Galen's rooms are cavernous so I've used some enormous pieces. In smaller spaces you'd need to scale down. There are suitably sized plants, vases, statues etc.

Here's my dining space done now. Almost no plants. Big tables (3), chairs (13), lights (4, + 2 ropes) and the coral, plus the sideboard (3 custom piece design), basket, fruit, 2 glasses, a bottle and a painting. That's 32 pieces to decorate one quarter of a huge foyer.

Sorry, I missed your reply.

Maybe I didn't explain myself very well - I meant that my personal style is to decorate in a more realistic way, like an interior designer typically would.

With lots of multi-level, conventional light, especially in large, high-ceilinged halls and (depending on the size of the place) a few large, but mainly medium and small furnishing items.

The sort of things people would typically have in a fairly tidy home, or in a business; like an inn, hotel, or restaurant.

As opposed to in a more grandiose, fantasy style, with lots of coloured, glowy stuff and a few large pieces taking up space and looking impressive, but not really adding to a homely/hospitality business type feel.

People (men mainly, I assume) tend to say "I'd live here, in real life.", or "This is very pleasant.".

That is my style - pleasant, tidy but homely houses.

I'm trying to make homes I would want to live in, in the game and that I'm happy to port to - I'm not trying to do anything hugely impressive, or edgy.

I have friends who make very nice homes using giant items (particularly plants and rocks and stuff) and only a very few small and medium items and many of their houses look very nice (perhaps nicer than some of mine, depending on your taste), but it's just not the way I tend to decorate.

We all have our own style is what I'm saying and my style, despite not being cluttered, does not accomodate a very low number of furnishing slots.

Also to me and I don't know why. It's not that dark in the game or in the screenshot originals.

I see.

It's probably the type and number of lights you're using.

Some light fittings pump out far more light than others.

For example, Redguard Chandeliers are very good value, as are the Elsweyr Twist lamps.

If you're sticking with Telvanni, exclusively, you could try some of these:

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/telvanni-candelabra-organic/

I use them a lot in places I can't/don't want to use sconces and/or to add some more light at a slightly lower level.

If you don't mind using Indoril, these are quite good, too (for slightly higher level light):

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/indoril-candelabra-shrine/

As are these, if you have surfaces to put them on:

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/indoril-candelabra-temple-chamber/

You can mix and match all three and then use the Telvanni sconces and lamps for pops of colour.

I really like those Hlaalu lanterns and I use them a lot, but I don't tend to use them in places that need a lot of light (unless I can use a lot of them and use them nearer the ground) and I generally don't rely on them exclusively, even where I do use them.

I normally also put sconces/braziers up on walls, at frequent intervals, as well as candles, or lamps, on tables, nightstands and cabinets.

The more you vary the height of the light sources, the more natural-feeling light coverage you get.

You can cheat by using stones, which light big areas, but they are in unnatural colours like urine yellow, or cold blue.

You can mix them together, but it's still an unpleasant, slightly cold, overly uniform light.

What you want is lots of points of conventional (not coloured) light.

If you want a bright house, with coloured light, you need to add a wash of that on top, really.

...and of course, all this eats into your furnishing allowance pretty horribly in larger homes.

My Palace has had to have 271 lights, to get even close to the effect I wanted.

That would only leave 79 slots for furnishings, if I didn't have ESO+.

As it is, the bedrooms aren't furnished properly - could do with at least 8 more items in both of them and it's just a bit sparsely decorated, in general.

Even another 50 slots would really help...

Honestly, I could have used even more lights.

The Palace is far worse than all the other houses I have furnished, from the lighting point of view.

You really need to give somewhere like that a go, before reaching a firm conclusion on whether there is a need for more furnishing slots, or not.

The house you are doing is nothing like as hard to light, or fill, thankfully.

A lot of people have resorted to using stones (despite the unnatural light), or the huge Clockwork City Lights, in the Palace, but the style of the latter obviously doesn't really go with an historical-looking, tiled palace.

It's a quandary...

Just in those screenshots of the foyer I showed, there are 8 3 person couches, a throne, a big table, a coffee table and a bathtub. Then there's the big 3 piece dining table with 13 chairs. In another room a huge desk and throne. In the other rooms several beds and assorted bedroom furniture. Plus a room with all crafting stations, merchant and banker and storage chests.

It's not an indoor jungle. It's a home.

I'm presently down to 264 items (including all of the default garden items outside), with two of the rooms mostly furnished and one half done. Though I don't love the upstairs room as my bedroom so I'm going to shuffle the rooms around. Again.

I expect to finish at under 300 items. When I get there I'll post a thread for it with screenshots and video if I can figure out how to do that.

I look forward to seeing it. :smile:

By the way, you do know that if you get ESO+, even on trial, you can fill your house to that double limit while you have ESO+ and those furnishings remain, even after you no longer have it?

Assuming you don't want to move, or remove anything, obviously.
    Edited by Tigerseye on July 31, 2019 8:48PM
  • Sovaliah
    Sovaliah
    ✭✭✭
    Upping the cap to 1000 from 700 would alleviate much of the issue, I think. A lot of what takes up my slots, like someone else said, is actually lights. If there's some technical reason that the cap can't be raised, I think making lights illuminate a larger area would help the issue!
    Dunmer · MagSorc · PC-NA
    Co-GM of Heralds of Nerevar RP Guild
  • Arbit
    Arbit
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sovaliah wrote: »
    Upping the cap to 1000 from 700 would alleviate much of the issue, I think. A lot of what takes up my slots, like someone else said, is actually lights. If there's some technical reason that the cap can't be raised, I think making lights illuminate a larger area would help the issue!

idk there are lights that are really strong, like culanda stones will light up an entire room on its own in tel galen. The bigger problem is theyre making bigger and bigger houses and the limit stays the same. youre right tho i used a ton of slots just for lights in my xanmeer home. I find mostly what costs me the most slots are small items for creating food eating areas, kitchens, small gardens. they take up a ton of slots to make display areas like that.
    Argonian Master Race
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Arbit wrote: »
    idk there are lights that are really strong, like culanda stones will light up an entire room on its own in tel galen.

Not everyone likes those stones, though.

As I said in my rambling reply, above, they're urine yellow, or cold blue and even combined, they provide a very coldish and uniform light.

Tel Galen really isn't the problem, though, I agree.

It's a walk in the park compared to most Notables/Manors.

• bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Furnishing limits are indeed due to performance, as others pointed out. The capability of the consoles is holding back PC too, ZOS said so several times. However, there could be several potential solutions to this topic (and it is indeed beating a dead horse, people have discussed it so many times):
    1. Separate instance for interiors and exteriors: Most homes would be perfect for splitting them up into a garden and a house cell separately. This would still cause issues in homes that are all one area (Erstwhile Sanctuary, Coldharbour Surreal Estate, etc) but at least the rest would finally benefit from increased item limits, especially in the giant sprawling estates (Grand Psijic Villa, Princely Dawnlight Palace, etc).
    2. Merge different item type limits: It's ridiculous that many of my houses have 100+ collectible slots left for Undaunted Busts, but I can't place another single spoon because that's over the 700 regular furniture limit. Houses should have merged item limits (so 830 slots), and if console performance can't handle more than 10 special collectibles, then make it a sub-limit instead of a separate limit (so 830 slots, of which max 10 special collectibles, etc).
    3. Furniture slots should be based on performance load: A small wooden spoon shouldn't take up 1 slot if a giant animated four-sided fountain is also 1 slot. Furniture limits should be quadrupled, and highly taxing items such as lights, fountains and other animated furniture should take up 5 slots while regular furniture should continue to take up 1 slot.
    Other things they could do, that doesn't require the revamping of the furnishing limits:
    • Add a better range of illumination to light furnishings: This is especially important for Notable houses which often have incredibly high ceilings and large open rooms. We simply can't afford to spend so many slots on lighting when 80% of light styles have a minuscule area of illumination. Either add a brightness setting to already existing lamps (e.g. Extinguish, Light, Brighten) or add new lamps with a larger light area (e.g. [Argonian Lamppost] and [Argonian Lamppost, Bright]).
    • Add more pre-filled items: They've been doing this in some cases, like the new Elsweyr Wine Rack that already has bottles on it, and many of the newer Bookshelves that are pre-filled with books. These should be implemented for the earlier styles as well, so we have a better and more matching selection to choose from, so we don't have to use the same handful of items in every house if we don't want to spend 7 book slots on every bookshelf.
    • Add more 'cluster' type items: We need more item clusters for dining tables, writing desks, kitchen counters, dressing tables, etc. It's ridiculous that we already have plant clusters that include multiple items in one furnishing slot (like the Tree Ferns Cluster which is 8 ferns and 3 palm trees in 1 slot), but I still need to place a Quill and an Inkwell separately. Expand the cluster system to include other furnishings not just plants.
    I do like to light them properly, though. :smile: Perhaps you prefer the dark?
    FNGSlkO.jpg
    Gotta agree with Tigerseye on this. Your pictures are pretty - your plants are pretty, your Telvanni furniture are pretty - but that house is incredibly dark and looks like an plant-overgrown storage unit rather than a lived-in home with all the essentials that go with that. An empty desk and two shelves isn't really a decorated library, and an empty table and chairs isn't really a decorated dining room. Not to mention that the interior of Tel Galen is a fraction of other Notable homes like Princely Dawnlight or even Daggerfall Overlook or Ebonheart Chateau, which are much harder to furnish with the same limit.

I'm not saying this to criticize your build btw, just to point out that you are wrong. You were the one who claimed that people who ask for more furniture slots are 'moaning' and a fully furnished home is like a 'mad hoarder's' house, so the non-sub limit is enough. It isn't enough, even the full 700 limit isn't enough, even when people decorate tastefully not like a hoarder at all.
    Edited by bluebird on August 1, 2019 8:42AM
  • dtsharples
    dtsharples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They could offer the option to upgrade item limit in say 50 item increments, up to 300 more items.
    You check a tick box each time you purchase saying that you fully understand the limitations of housing and anytime you go over the original item limit of a particular house you may be putting your performance at risk.

This way, if someone on console wants to add 50 more small items like books, glasses, plates etc to their Overlook, they can and it probably wont affect their performance at all. But, if they wanted to add 50 animated, glowing objects to a small home, it would likely be awful.
    This way, it gives the individual the option to weigh up which items they will add, and to test out how they adversely affect performance.
    It wouldn't negate the benefits you get from ESO+ either

The Psijic home for example. I have recently decorated that and found it unbearably difficult.
    I chose to only decorate the inside.
    I blocked off both of the suites.
    I blocked off the lower part at the back.
    I blocked off the right side stairs + mezzanine.
    That left the main hall and 2 side rooms.
    I have managed to fill it, and it looks OK, but it still looks empty to me.
    Edited by dtsharples on August 1, 2019 3:02PM
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vlad9425 wrote: »
    Maybe it causes performance issues if the cap is too high but 700 is just way too low.

They could just stop making it idiot proof.
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »
    Corrinos wrote: »
    Watchdog wrote: »
    That's a silly argument. It's 2019.

Even if you find it to (subjectively) "look fine" the fact that we have a relatively low limit on some houses that cost in excess of $100+ is frankly ridiculous.

No, yours is a silly argument. So what that it is 2019?

Does that make the game engine magically revamp itself to something else?

Or does it make the old consoles magically become better at handling the engine, perhaps?

As long as ESO has to run on the same limited machines it did in 2014, your argument holds no merit.

It doesn't? PCs couldn't have a higher limit? That's impossible?

Jesus Christ.

PCs can't have a higher limit until consoles can have a higher limit. Well maybe they could but it would be a bad business decision. Console players complain enough that PCs have add-ons. If ZoS started giving PC players something they couldn't also give console players all hell would break loose. They do not want to alienate that amount of the player base.

So just do it and don't say anything.Just pc players keep their mouth shut.
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to think, with non-essential things like furnishings, they could raise the limit for PC without raising it for consoles, without upsetting people too much (as they could explain why they were doing it that way), but they may be worried about lower end PCs, too.

It might upset the wrong people though - like Microsoft and Sony.

The game being inferior in any way on the consoles is probably explicitly prohibited by their contracts with the aforementioned.

Yeah, good point.

I can see how that could be possible.

The game is already inferior on console.
    Edited by MehrunesFlagon on August 1, 2019 4:36PM
  • DMBCML
    DMBCML
    ✭✭✭
    I know this is an old, beaten horse, but I don't think ZOS has provided a satisfactory answer as to why we can't have more than 700 furnishing items in our houses.

You think wrong.

There are technical performance limitations.

Personally I find even the unsubbed limit to be just fine. I look at homes decorated by people moaning about the limits and typically think they look like mad hoarders.

Better to hoard in game than IRL :)
  • DMBCML
    DMBCML
    ✭✭✭
    Ask console players with manors nearing the 700 items limit about their performance issues.

Since the experience is supposed to be the same for all platforms, those of us with PC's are stuck at the level of the lowest performance standard of all the platforms.

Just like everything else in life...
  • DMBCML
    DMBCML
    ✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »

PCs can't have a higher limit until consoles can have a higher limit. Well maybe they could but it would be a bad business decision. Console players complain enough that PCs have add-ons. If ZoS started giving PC players something they couldn't also give console players all hell would break loose. They do not want to alienate that amount of the player base.

Console players can continue to enjoy game as is, and ESO can come out with an expansion pack for PC to do housing the way we want it done. Skyrim quality and better.
  • The_Last_Titan
    The_Last_Titan
    ✭✭✭
    With the performance improvements coming in the next year+ i'm hoping they up the furnishing limit cap. Improvements that shorten load times like fixtures and everything sounds like something that could be the key. I would have hoped they would give us insight on possibly increasing the cap next year but maybe they aren't sure yet. PLEASE! GIVE ME HOPE!
    Edited by The_Last_Titan on August 8, 2019 9:03PM
  • wismal
    wismal
    Soul Shriven
    i don't think console players play the game the same way pc players do. I could be wrong but i don't think the limit is because of consoles. Actually as with most other games by the time they have read all the whining from all the pvp players they don't have much time to read anything else.
  • kaisernick
    kaisernick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mrsrobot wrote: »
    Yep just double the limit, at least for notable houses.

for some you dont even need to double it just a extra 100 would make all the difference.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DMBCML wrote: »
    I know this is an old, beaten horse, but I don't think ZOS has provided a satisfactory answer as to why we can't have more than 700 furnishing items in our houses.

You think wrong.

There are technical performance limitations.

Personally I find even the unsubbed limit to be just fine. I look at homes decorated by people moaning about the limits and typically think they look like mad hoarders.

Better to hoard in game than IRL :)

Yeah but, to be fair, the latter is harder to avoid, unless you live alone and are cold and disciplined enough able to be able to cast aside almost all your possessions, on a regular basis.

Or, alternatively, you are (at least) a multi-millionaire, so live in a huge house and/or can afford endless storage/spare houses to keep most of your possessions in.

Or you are a committed Buddhist.
    kaisernick wrote: »
    mrsrobot wrote: »
    Yep just double the limit, at least for notable houses.

for some you dont even need to double it just a extra 100 would make all the difference.

At this point, I would be grateful for 50 more at the Hew's Bane Palace alone, lol.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    sueblue wrote: »
    I have heard we have the consoles to blame for the absurdly low limit. I don't know of that is true but if it is then just up the limit for PC users!
    Ask console players with manors nearing the 700 items limit about their performance issues.

Since the experience is supposed to be the same for all platforms, those of us with PC's are stuck at the level of the lowest performance standard of all the platforms.

While consoles are partly to blame, the April ESO Live where they addressed this indicated that low-end PCs are also to blame. They want players to be able to visit any home on their platform and not experience performance issues. So, someone playing on a low-end PC can visit any player's 700 slot fully furnished home and not experience issues. If the cap were higher, then low-end PCs would presumably have problems.

As for a full 700 slot home on console, I have no performance issues whatsoever. But, I am running an XBOne X with an SSD.

ETA: As far as Tel Galen goes, it's the smallest notable home and is really closer to the size of the large homes at 300/600 slots. Esp. if you ignore the outside, 700 slots is more than enough for that home. Heck, I think Hundings might be larger than Tel Galen.

Also, players have different tastes in homes and someone can argue that 350 slots is more than enough for manors if their tastes lend toward a lower slot limit. Others might prefer to actually add in some detail that you would find in a person's real-life home. If they have a kitchen, they might want to decorate with some dishes and foodstuffs, rather than just some counters and a table/chairs.

TL:DR - Decorating preferences vary widely, as does the size within each house category.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on August 14, 2019 5:37PM
  • Darth_Pinhead
    Darth_Pinhead
    ✭✭
    This has all been very interesting reading. I haven't read a statement from Zenimax about why houses have the limits that they do, or why they can't add to them (if someone has a link to such a statement... I'd like to read it).

I'd really like to know why the Mara's Kiss Inn is so damned small (not talking about the furnishing limit). It's more of a glorified closet (compare it to the house in Vvardenfell, which is 6 to 8 times bigger, yet has the same furnishing limit - stupid)! That Mara's Kiss "room" should be a stairwell that leads down (or up) to a room the size of the ground floor in the main part of that building. Actually, they should just remodel the building, make that "inn room" a side-room for what's upstairs, and wall-off the top of the stairs and put a door there that leads to the "inn room" (and close that opening above the entrance). At least then it would be big enough to be usable!!!

Whomever designed that Mara's Kiss inn room (or gave it a greenlight) should be fired!

For the record... I am playing ESO on Xbox One. If I could play it on PC - AND it gave me Xbox achievements... I would play it on PC. ;)
  • Holmarion19
    Holmarion19
    ✭✭✭
    This has all been very interesting reading. I haven't read a statement from Zenimax about why houses have the limits that they do, or why they can't add to them (if someone has a link to such a statement... I'd like to read it).

No readable quote, but when Matt was asked on the gamescom stream he said that the game crashes when 500+ objects are put too close together so the limits are there to encourage players to spread objects out. Rich then responded to a follow up question as to whether or not they may look at increasing slots in the future. The gist of his reply was never-say-never but that their priority is performance issues and they would need to get those right first.

Hope I summarised that correctly; make of it what you will.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

No readable quote, but when Matt was asked on the gamescom stream he said that the game crashes when 500+ objects are put too close together so the limits are there to encourage players to spread objects out. Rich then responded to a follow up question as to whether or not they may look at increasing slots in the future. The gist of his reply was never-say-never but that their priority is performance issues and they would need to get those right first.

Hope I summarised that correctly; make of it what you will.

Couldn't they just not let you put too many objects in one area, then?

As opposed to still allowing that, but not allowing you to furnish both the interior and the exterior of a property thoroughly.

Also, still doesn't explain the extremely mean 15/30 inn room (even large inn room) limit, does it?
    Edited by Tigerseye on August 30, 2019 8:13AM
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are going to be spending the entire next year working on performance tweaks, including a whole new way of loading assets, according to one of their Twitch programs. I really do hope they will be working on a way to upgrade housing limits somewhere in all that.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'd really like to know why the Mara's Kiss Inn is so damned small (not talking about the furnishing limit). It's more of a glorified closet (compare it to the house in Vvardenfell, which is 6 to 8 times bigger, yet has the same furnishing limit - stupid)! That Mara's Kiss "room" should be a stairwell that leads down (or up) to a room the size of the ground floor in the main part of that building. Actually, they should just remodel the building, make that "inn room" a side-room for what's upstairs, and wall-off the top of the stairs and put a door there that leads to the "inn room" (and close that opening above the entrance). At least then it would be big enough to be usable!!!

Whomever designed that Mara's Kiss inn room (or gave it a greenlight) should be fired!

For the record... I am playing ESO on Xbox One. If I could play it on PC - AND it gave me Xbox achievements... I would play it on PC. ;)

It is ridiculously tiny, but it is still just about possible to furnish as an inn room, believe it or not.

Even with the door clearance requirement.

Does totally limit your furniture choices, though.

Here's my effort:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6242471/#Comment_6242471
    Edited by Tigerseye on August 30, 2019 8:24AM