Maintenance for the week of October 21:
· [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 21,  3:00AM EDT (07:00 UTC) - 11:00AM EDT (15:00 UTC)
· Xbox One: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – October 23,  6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· PlayStation®4: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – October 23,  6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Furnishing Limit

Corrinos
Corrinos
✭✭✭
I know this is an old, beaten horse, but I don't think ZOS has provided a satisfactory answer as to why we can't have more than 700 furnishing items in our houses. Particularly if some houses are far too large for that limit to be sufficient *and* they cost upwards of $100+.

Has anyone heard anything new regarding this?
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Insert beating dead horse gif here!
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am available for hire for custom builds, just PM me.
  • mrsrobot
    mrsrobot
    ✭✭✭
    Yep just double the limit, at least for notable houses.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Corrinos wrote: »
    I know this is an old, beaten horse, but I don't think ZOS has provided a satisfactory answer as to why we can't have more than 700 furnishing items in our houses.

    You think wrong.

    There are technical performance limitations.

    Personally I find even the unsubbed limit to be just fine. I look at homes decorated by people moaning about the limits and typically think they look like mad hoarders.
  • Xerikten
    Xerikten
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nerouyn wrote: »
    Corrinos wrote: »
    I know this is an old, beaten horse, but I don't think ZOS has provided a satisfactory answer as to why we can't have more than 700 furnishing items in our houses.

    You think wrong.

    There are technical performance limitations.

    Personally I find even the unsubbed limit to be just fine. I look at homes decorated by people moaning about the limits and typically think they look like mad hoarders.

    I can agree with you on this to a extent. my villa is close to the 700 limit but I have lots and lots and lots of plants as I made it into a elven garden estate. I would even make a hedge maze if I had more slots.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    Community Ambassador
    The only way they could increase limits across all platforms is some combo of:

    1. Limiting the number of simultaneous guests
    2. Eliminating Dueling
    3. Instancing interior and exterior cells into separate loads.

    I don't know if they could make this a toggle, but perhaps the larger homes could just have at least options 2 and 3 applied.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

    PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »
    I do like to light them properly, though. :smile:

    Perhaps you prefer the dark?

    You seem to have thought that was clever.

    You missed the mark.

    I've just calculated and my furnishings are 22% lighting. That's not even including unofficial lighting like glowing flowers. Which I have used extensively.

    WsSx3c4.jpg

    JBpclHa.jpg

    aSrvQFL.jpg

    FNGSlkO.jpg

    What I do is make maximum and clever use of big pieces.

    Example of clever - the bookshelves in the fourth image. Identical.

    But they don't look it unless you look very, very closely because I took advantage of the cursory nature of human perception. We glance at things and gloss over the details. So I've put visually distinct pieces - lights or bright colourful things - in different spots on different shelves.

    So 5 bookshelves plus 1 or 2 visually distinct items per shelf and I've dressed all but one wall in the library. Which I've filled with a different bookshelf and some candles and knick-knacks. I've just counted and there's a grand total of 21 furniture pieces in the whole room.

    I only have a little bit left to do - the upstairs room, putting some lighting on my big arse dining table, placing a few tastefully selected vases etc. - and have about 80 furnishing slots left, before I hit the 350 limit.
  • Keylun
    Keylun
    ✭✭✭✭✭


    She gives a great alternative. Most of the population would be down for itemisation being revamped
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Corrinos wrote: »
    That's a silly argument. It's 2019.

    Even if you find it to (subjectively) "look fine" the fact that we have a relatively low limit on some houses that cost in excess of $100+ is frankly ridiculous.

    No, yours is a silly argument. So what that it is 2019?

    Does that make the game engine magically revamp itself to something else?

    Or does it make the old consoles magically become better at handling the engine, perhaps?

    As long as ESO has to run on the same limited machines it did in 2014, your argument holds no merit.
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
  • Corrinos
    Corrinos
    ✭✭✭
    Watchdog wrote: »
    Corrinos wrote: »
    That's a silly argument. It's 2019.

    Even if you find it to (subjectively) "look fine" the fact that we have a relatively low limit on some houses that cost in excess of $100+ is frankly ridiculous.

    No, yours is a silly argument. So what that it is 2019?

    Does that make the game engine magically revamp itself to something else?

    Or does it make the old consoles magically become better at handling the engine, perhaps?

    As long as ESO has to run on the same limited machines it did in 2014, your argument holds no merit.

    It doesn't? PCs couldn't have a higher limit? That's impossible?

    Jesus Christ.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Corrinos wrote: »
    Watchdog wrote: »
    Corrinos wrote: »
    That's a silly argument. It's 2019.

    Even if you find it to (subjectively) "look fine" the fact that we have a relatively low limit on some houses that cost in excess of $100+ is frankly ridiculous.

    No, yours is a silly argument. So what that it is 2019?

    Does that make the game engine magically revamp itself to something else?

    Or does it make the old consoles magically become better at handling the engine, perhaps?

    As long as ESO has to run on the same limited machines it did in 2014, your argument holds no merit.

    It doesn't? PCs couldn't have a higher limit? That's impossible?

    Jesus Christ.

    PCs can't have a higher limit until consoles can have a higher limit. Well maybe they could but it would be a bad business decision. Console players complain enough that PCs have add-ons. If ZoS started giving PC players something they couldn't also give console players all hell would break loose. They do not want to alienate that amount of the player base.
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Corrinos wrote: »
    Watchdog wrote: »
    Corrinos wrote: »
    That's a silly argument. It's 2019.

    Even if you find it to (subjectively) "look fine" the fact that we have a relatively low limit on some houses that cost in excess of $100+ is frankly ridiculous.

    No, yours is a silly argument. So what that it is 2019?

    Does that make the game engine magically revamp itself to something else?

    Or does it make the old consoles magically become better at handling the engine, perhaps?

    As long as ESO has to run on the same limited machines it did in 2014, your argument holds no merit.

    It doesn't? PCs couldn't have a higher limit? That's impossible?

    Jesus Christ.

    Yes, that's impossible, because ZOS insists on the same content and experience for all platforms. Consoles cannot manage more items, therefore, we on PC's cannot have a higher limit either and we are stuck with the same limit.

    Sucks, but that is how things are for us.
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
  • Corrinos
    Corrinos
    ✭✭✭
    Watchdog wrote: »
    Corrinos wrote: »
    Watchdog wrote: »
    Corrinos wrote: »
    That's a silly argument. It's 2019.

    Even if you find it to (subjectively) "look fine" the fact that we have a relatively low limit on some houses that cost in excess of $100+ is frankly ridiculous.

    No, yours is a silly argument. So what that it is 2019?

    Does that make the game engine magically revamp itself to something else?

    Or does it make the old consoles magically become better at handling the engine, perhaps?

    As long as ESO has to run on the same limited machines it did in 2014, your argument holds no merit.

    It doesn't? PCs couldn't have a higher limit? That's impossible?

    Jesus Christ.

    Yes, that's impossible, because ZOS insists on the same content and experience for all platforms. Consoles cannot manage more items, therefore, we on PC's cannot have a higher limit either and we are stuck with the same limit.

    Sucks, but that is how things are for us.

    But you act like there is no possible solution. There's a possible solution.

    ZOS reneges on its word *all the time*.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, I'm very detail-oriented.

    I don't tend to "gloss over" anything, whether in my own or other people's houses, lol.
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Corrinos wrote: »
    Watchdog wrote: »
    Corrinos wrote: »
    Watchdog wrote: »
    Corrinos wrote: »
    That's a silly argument. It's 2019.

    Even if you find it to (subjectively) "look fine" the fact that we have a relatively low limit on some houses that cost in excess of $100+ is frankly ridiculous.

    No, yours is a silly argument. So what that it is 2019?

    Does that make the game engine magically revamp itself to something else?

    Or does it make the old consoles magically become better at handling the engine, perhaps?

    As long as ESO has to run on the same limited machines it did in 2014, your argument holds no merit.

    It doesn't? PCs couldn't have a higher limit? That's impossible?

    Jesus Christ.

    Yes, that's impossible, because ZOS insists on the same content and experience for all platforms. Consoles cannot manage more items, therefore, we on PC's cannot have a higher limit either and we are stuck with the same limit.

    Sucks, but that is how things are for us.

    But you act like there is no possible solution. There's a possible solution.

    ZOS reneges on its word *all the time*.

    Name the solution, then, please.

    Preferably one that doesn't require ZOS managers to authorize spending many times more money than it would earn them. You see, ZOS is a business. They won't do things that cost them a lot and don't bring back monetary profit.
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watchdog wrote: »
    Corrinos wrote: »
    Watchdog wrote: »
    Corrinos wrote: »
    Watchdog wrote: »
    Corrinos wrote: »
    That's a silly argument. It's 2019.

    Even if you find it to (subjectively) "look fine" the fact that we have a relatively low limit on some houses that cost in excess of $100+ is frankly ridiculous.

    No, yours is a silly argument. So what that it is 2019?

    Does that make the game engine magically revamp itself to something else?

    Or does it make the old consoles magically become better at handling the engine, perhaps?

    As long as ESO has to run on the same limited machines it did in 2014, your argument holds no merit.

    It doesn't? PCs couldn't have a higher limit? That's impossible?

    Jesus Christ.

    Yes, that's impossible, because ZOS insists on the same content and experience for all platforms. Consoles cannot manage more items, therefore, we on PC's cannot have a higher limit either and we are stuck with the same limit.

    Sucks, but that is how things are for us.

    But you act like there is no possible solution. There's a possible solution.

    ZOS reneges on its word *all the time*.

    Name the solution, then, please.

    Preferably one that doesn't require ZOS managers to authorize spending many times more money than it would earn them. You see, ZOS is a business. They won't do things that cost them a lot and don't bring back monetary profit.

    I think the argument would be that they would sell more very large houses if the furnishing limit was higher.

    Even if that was just on PC.

    Which is probably true (especially if the price points were slightly lower), but from what we hear from them they are not going to change the furnishing limits, unfortunately.

    So, it's probably a fairly moot point.

    I tend to think, with non-essential things like furnishings, they could raise the limit for PC without raising it for consoles, without upsetting people too much (as they could explain why they were doing it that way), but they may be worried about lower end PCs, too.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Corrinos wrote: »
    Watchdog wrote: »
    Corrinos wrote: »
    Watchdog wrote: »
    Corrinos wrote: »
    That's a silly argument. It's 2019.

    Even if you find it to (subjectively) "look fine" the fact that we have a relatively low limit on some houses that cost in excess of $100+ is frankly ridiculous.

    No, yours is a silly argument. So what that it is 2019?

    Does that make the game engine magically revamp itself to something else?

    Or does it make the old consoles magically become better at handling the engine, perhaps?

    As long as ESO has to run on the same limited machines it did in 2014, your argument holds no merit.

    It doesn't? PCs couldn't have a higher limit? That's impossible?

    Jesus Christ.

    Yes, that's impossible, because ZOS insists on the same content and experience for all platforms. Consoles cannot manage more items, therefore, we on PC's cannot have a higher limit either and we are stuck with the same limit.

    Sucks, but that is how things are for us.

    But you act like there is no possible solution. There's a possible solution.

    ZOS reneges on its word *all the time*.

    Possible sure but is there a viable solution? Console players already feel underappreciated and they make up a major portion of people playing. And we are assuming it is a console problem. Might not be the case at all.
  • sueblue
    sueblue
    ✭✭✭
    A possible solution:
    Give PC players realistic item caps and offer console users the option to switch their accounts to PC if they want.
    Awake/Asleep, I dream.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    sueblue wrote: »
    A possible solution:
    Give PC players realistic item caps and offer console users the option to switch their accounts to PC if they want.

    Accounts can't be switched unless the players are willing to start with all new characters.
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you OP for reviving this "Dead Horse".

    My issue with the 700 limit is not my "personal houses", but with trying to make a Decent Guild Hall!

    I purchased the Ebonheart Chateau, with RL cash of over $100, for a Guild Hall when housing was released. Dueling released at same time.
    I put in a "Dueling Area" for guildies, made a nice botanical garden to hang out in, wanted a Library with all the readable books in game, which is 300 slots just for books, so guildies could read/research lore etc.
    A Guild hall needs crafting tables, over 200 of those. Mundas Stones, Transmutation Table, Test Dummies, Banker, Merchant. and lets not even talk about trying to fit those "Trophies" acquired from Trials and Dungeons we got from guild groups.
    Then they add Jewelry Tables, more crafting sets , etc with each big update.
    With each new crafting table we get, I have to remove stuff. Soon it will be just a empty shell with just the basics. No plants. no ambiance, no "homey feel".

    I understand the limitations caused by consoles, but I still feel they can do something.
    Maybe let books if they are in a bookcase count as one slot. Maybe let some items bundle together to count as one.

    I do know my excitement toward Housing is null now. No more running to Coldharbour every weekend. No more spending RL $ on new stuff that I think guildies would like or use. But the bright side, I have saved a LOT of money! :)

    Just my 2 Drakes.... Huzzah!!
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP 1150+
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

    _Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • Streega
    Streega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃ Don't-Care-Bear ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃

    PC EU "House Tertia" - Friendly Guild for Mature Folks (housetertia.com)
    PC EU "Priests of Hircine" - Awesome Guild for Friendly Werewolves (free bites!)
    Member of "Guild Masters United"
    Master Angler
  • Hetaira
    Hetaira
    ✭✭✭
    Nerouyn wrote: »
    Tigerseye wrote: »
    I do like to light them properly, though. :smile:

    Perhaps you prefer the dark?

    You seem to have thought that was clever.

    You missed the mark.

    I've just calculated and my furnishings are 22% lighting. That's not even including unofficial lighting like glowing flowers. Which I have used extensively.

    What I do is make maximum and clever use of big pieces.

    Example of clever - the bookshelves in the fourth image. Identical.

    But they don't look it unless you look very, very closely because I took advantage of the cursory nature of human perception. We glance at things and gloss over the details. So I've put visually distinct pieces - lights or bright colourful things - in different spots on different shelves.

    So 5 bookshelves plus 1 or 2 visually distinct items per shelf and I've dressed all but one wall in the library. Which I've filled with a different bookshelf and some candles and knick-knacks. I've just counted and there's a grand total of 21 furniture pieces in the whole room.

    I only have a little bit left to do - the upstairs room, putting some lighting on my big arse dining table, placing a few tastefully selected vases etc. - and have about 80 furnishing slots left, before I hit the 350 limit.

    The problem is that your place is boring. It's not bad per say, but there isn't a single original idea or wow moment. I'm glad you are having fun and all that jazz, but it feels lifeless and lacking any wow factor. I had to block off at least 95% of my Tel Galen property to decorate mine, and I'm still desperately trying to find the 30 slots I can move to make a tiny library nook.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »
    I don't really decorate like that - I don't do lots of large pieces, or make places look like indoor jungles, with lots of large plants (not that there is anything wrong with that, either).

    You don't need to use lots of plants and I haven't. I've used a small number of big ones, with a splash of extras. It's just behind the fountain where I've gone full garden. With the exterior being so hideous I don't go outside. That space is my garden.

    My point was that a small number of objects can do a lot of the heavy lifting. Tel Galen's rooms are cavernous so I've used some enormous pieces. In smaller spaces you'd need to scale down. There are suitably sized plants, vases, statues etc.

    Here's my dining space done now. Almost no plants. Big tables (3), chairs (13), lights (4, + 2 ropes) and the coral, plus the sideboard (3 custom piece design), basket, fruit, 2 glasses, a bottle and a painting. That's 32 pieces to decorate one quarter of a huge foyer.

    SZfo40H.jpg
    Tigerseye wrote: »
    To me, your pics are nice, but very dark.

    Also to me and I don't know why. It's not that dark in the game or in the screenshot originals.
    Tigerseye wrote: »
    That doesn't leave a lot of space for furnishings, let alone clutter, in places like the Hew's Bane Palace.

    Just in those screenshots of the foyer I showed, there are 8 3 person couches, a throne, a big table, a coffee table and a bathtub. Then there's the big 3 piece dining table with 13 chairs. In another room a huge desk and throne. In the other rooms several beds and assorted bedroom furniture. Plus a room with all crafting stations, merchant and banker and storage chests.

    It's not an indoor jungle. It's a home.

    I'm presently down to 264 items (including all of the default garden items outside), with two of the rooms mostly furnished and one half done. Though I don't love the upstairs room as my bedroom so I'm going to shuffle the rooms around. Again.

    I expect to finish at under 300 items. When I get there I'll post a thread for it with screenshots and video if I can figure out how to do that.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »
    I tend to think, with non-essential things like furnishings, they could raise the limit for PC without raising it for consoles, without upsetting people too much (as they could explain why they were doing it that way), but they may be worried about lower end PCs, too.

    It might upset the wrong people though - like Microsoft and Sony.

    The game being inferior in any way on the consoles is probably explicitly prohibited by their contracts with the aforementioned.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nerouyn wrote: »
    Tigerseye wrote: »
    I tend to think, with non-essential things like furnishings, they could raise the limit for PC without raising it for consoles, without upsetting people too much (as they could explain why they were doing it that way), but they may be worried about lower end PCs, too.

    It might upset the wrong people though - like Microsoft and Sony.

    The game being inferior in any way on the consoles is probably explicitly prohibited by their contracts with the aforementioned.

    Yeah, good point.

    I can see how that could be possible.
Sign In or Register to comment.