The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

How does one become a DEV or a GM?

Llidoryc
Llidoryc
✭✭✭
just curious. is this just a Bethesda/Zenimax employee thing or is there a community driven component to it?
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It is a employee thing.
    If you have experience in programming and coding video games, ZoS/BGS have a online application available.

There are community titles like "Community Ambassador" and "Class Representative" here in forums, but it is not a paid job and consists of folks who have played basically since alpha or beta.

As far as "GMs", I haven't seen one in game since 2014... Lol...

Huzzah!

Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Llidoryc wrote: »

Apply for a job at ZOS ...
    smile.gif

• Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dev = Developer = the people programming the game.

A Computer Science degree seems like a good first step.
  • Jolipinator
    Jolipinator
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People are selected at random from all corners of the earth. They are sent to an island to live in a villa full of cameras for several weeks. Last one alive gets to be a developer.
    PS5 EU.
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are two requirements:

1. Grow a thick skin that reflects criticism from whiny, know-it-all players.
    2. Believe that a suit in an office somewhere who has never played ESO knows more about the game than a player who routinely spends 40+ hours a week playing it.
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I would say in this day an age if your computer skills are not enough for a search, then maybe you best look elsewhere.... but this is ZOS we are talking about.

https://www.zenimaxonline.com/
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get nominated by Trump then wait for congressional approval.
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LonePirate wrote: »

2. Believe that a suit in an office somewhere who has never played ESO knows more about the game than a player who routinely spends 40+ hours a week playing it.

This is sadly true. As a software developer I've experienced this before in the past. I'm not a game developer, but the fundamentals are the same and frankly the "disillusioned boss" stereotype is not exclusive to software development - that's like literally every job.
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Advice from a friend GM of mine...

"Quickly evolve your enforcement practices to whatever produces the least amount of hate mails and death threats."

Either career path is stressful but hugely rewarding if you are up to it. Just don't swear in blood to any one company.

• MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People are selected at random from all corners of the earth. They are sent to an island to live in a villa full of cameras for several weeks. Last one alive gets to be a developer.

You’re thinking of “Love island” 😂
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been wondering about the "Community Ambassador" one on the forums actually. Never really gave much credit to it, but since we're on the subject... I've been playing since beta, on multiple platforms, and a fairly active community member... just saying. :P
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »

smile.gif

So bribery is off the table? :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

smile.gif

Buy a piece of Zos from a stockholder.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dev is short for developer - the people who make the game. It's possible to become one but it's a job so you'd need to have the right experience and qualifications, be legally allowed to work in the USA, move there and get the job. All of which can be done of course, but it's not practical for everyone.

GM is short for Game Master and it's a term used for ZOS staff on the rare occasions they're visible in-game. Back in the early days of MMOs it was relatively common to see staff (or unpaid volunteers) in-game acting as GMs but these days they're got much better tools for monitoring player activity and identifying bugs than logging into a character and hoping to see it themselves so if they are ever visible it's pretty much a PR exercise.

I don't think GMs necessarily need to be developers (and it's probably best if they're not since it would take time away from actually making the game) but they are Zenimaz employees so just like becoming a dev you'd have to find a position you're qualified for, apply and get the job.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marginis wrote: »
    Been wondering about the "Community Ambassador" one on the forums actually. Never really gave much credit to it, but since we're on the subject... I've been playing since beta, on multiple platforms, and a fairly active community member... just saying. :P
    @Marginis

They (ZOS) were taking applications for a while but it looks like they have already filled their current team. If you really want to get in there, you might want to contact Gina directly ...
    idea.gif

PS: Not trying to be an ass, but if you are "a fairly active community member" how did you miss the whole Community Ambassador ***?
    Edited by SirAndy on July 30, 2019 10:49PM
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By being hired for the job.
    ...it all depends on the amount... ;)

Or who knows, maybe if you have the right connections... they would have to hire you, or find a horse head in their bed? ;)
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be honest, I'm having a hard time imagining Rich in a suit. He'd be miserable. When I was there, the closest to someone being in a suit was my old leather sport coat.
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'll be honest, I'm having a hard time imagining Rich in a suit. He'd be miserable. When I was there, the closest to someone being in a suit was my old leather sport coat.

"The suits" is part of gamer fantasy lore that somewhere in the studio, there is someone preventing the developers from doing what a player thinks should be done. "The investors" are also part of gamer fantasy lore; these are the secret illuminati who either choke off development funds or are blissfully unaware of the havoc wrought by "the suits".

Gamers have entire pantheon of various deities of benevolence and malevolence. It's rather amusing.
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have been on almost everyday for 4 years.

I have NEVER seen a GM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [
    Koolio wrote: »

I have NEVER seen a GM

I have.
    Edited by Elsonso on July 30, 2019 11:53PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [
    Koolio wrote: »

I have NEVER seen a GM

I have.

I have too. Told him he missed a bot when he nuked the Rivenspire harpy farm :lol:
  • Blacknight841
    Blacknight841
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... everyone knows they don't have Gamemasters.

As far a developer... no experience necessary. Just let the bots run rampant for 6 years no problem.
    Edited by Blacknight841 on July 31, 2019 12:04AM
  • TheUrbanWizard
    TheUrbanWizard
    ✭✭✭✭
    AFAIK you gotta find all the hidden children in the game then you get the quest
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    therift wrote: »

"The suits" is part of gamer fantasy lore that somewhere in the studio, there is someone preventing the developers from doing what a player thinks should be done. "The investors" are also part of gamer fantasy lore; these are the secret illuminati who either choke off development funds or are blissfully unaware of the havoc wrought by "the suits".

Gamers have entire pantheon of various deities of benevolence and malevolence. It's rather amusing.

No, I understand the myth. Thing is, at least personally, "the devs," aren't some anonymous figures out there. I've met most of the team leads. I've had beers with Rich. So I'm not saying, "no, they're not like that," I'm saying the mental image of Rich in a suit is amusing to me.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    therift wrote: »

As a former game developer, i can assure you that "The suits" are very much a real thing ...
    dry.gif

• Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be a Community Ambassador, there's a couple of steps:

1. First, you gotta have a cool username, like, oh I dunno, @Saucy_Jack.
    2. Next, you gotta tag someone in a position of power over community issues, like, say, @ZOS_GinaBruno, so they're aware of your desire to become a community ambassador.
    3. Next, you have to show you're active within the community, by running grandiose events - maybe something like weeks-long ESO-themed popularity contests.
    4. Then, you gotta ask really nicely, like, suuuper nicely. Something like "pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty please oh great and wise @ZOS_GinaBruno you are wonderful and a champion among mere mortals."
    5. THEN, you gotta refresh the forums every 5 seconds like a maniac wait patiently to see if your title on the left side has changed.

At least, I *THINK* that's how it works.
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saucy_Jack wrote: »

2. Next, you gotta tag someone in a position of power over community issues, like, say, @ZOS_GinaBruno, so they're aware of your desire to become a community ambassador.
    3. Next, you have to show you're active within the community, by running grandiose events - maybe something like weeks-long ESO-themed popularity contests.
    4. Then, you gotta ask really nicely, like, suuuper nicely. Something like "pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty please oh great and wise @ZOS_GinaBruno you are wonderful and a champion among mere mortals."
    5. THEN, you gotta refresh the forums every 5 seconds like a maniac wait patiently to see if your title on the left side has changed.

I'd stick with that bribery angle... :tongue:
  • Ydrisselle
    Ydrisselle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saucy_Jack wrote: »

You forgot the bribery mentioned before :D Wait, that shouldn't be common knowledge -_-
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    6. Make sure people quote you a lot

>___>

<___<
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marginis wrote: »
    @Marginis

They (ZOS) were taking applications for a while but it looks like they have already filled their current team. If you really want to get in there, you might want to contact Gina directly ...
    idea.gif

PS: Not trying to be an ass, but if you are "a fairly active community member" how did you miss the whole Community Ambassador ***?

I've been active in some ways and not so much in others, but I should mention that was mostly a tongue-in-cheek comment. I'm quite satisfied not being a community ambassador, thank you. I have enough to do as is running my guild, volunteering at the local animal shelter, leading my D&D group, and working both of my jobs. All "community ambassador" would be is a fancy title I do next to nothing with.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.