Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Elemental Succession Changes

• macsmooth
    macsmooth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    Don’t magic damage attacks become the element of the destruction staff you’re using? I was never clear on how this works.

I was thinking it’s a reason to not go 2h on a magicka class.

Only the skills in the destruction staff line

To me this set is going to be aimed at the necromancer
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    macsmooth wrote: »
    Don’t magic damage attacks become the element of the destruction staff you’re using? I was never clear on how this works.

Only the skills in the destruction staff line

To me this set is going to be aimed at the necromancer

And magDK, very excited to test it
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
    The lack of communication from ZOS to player speaks volumes.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some other games, where this is the case. I played an old MMO a long time ago, called Shaiya. Where this was the case.

But not in eso. Magic damage is just a very undesireable damage type, with no side effects. Magic damage is unattractive in my eyes and I am always dissapointed, when something deals normal magic damage. For example elemental weapons, ironically.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »

There are some other games, where this is the case. I played an old MMO a long time ago, called Shaiya. Where this was the case.

But not in eso. Magic damage is just a very undesireable damage type, with no side effects. Magic damage is unattractive in my eyes and I am always dissapointed, when something deals normal magic damage. For example elemental weapons, ironically.

But there is always War Maiden that gives 400 (I think?) spell damage to magic damage abilities. I've run War Maiden on my magplar and magblade for awhile now with decent success.

*For the record I'm a casual and don't really run trials, so I use what I can get on my own.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

But there is always War Maiden that gives 400 (I think?) spell damage to magic damage abilities. I've run War Maiden on my magplar and magblade for awhile now with decent success.

*For the record I'm a casual and don't really run trials, so I use what I can get on my own.

Yeah, magic damage is "good", but the point is flame applies burning, shock applies concussion, and frost applies chilled, which each accompany an affect.

Burning - A Powerful DoT 4s / Wall of Elements increased damage by 20% if wielding a fire staff
    Chilled - A small direct damage and Minor maim ( reduces damage done ) / Wall of elements -> Immobilizes if wielding a frost staff
    Concussion - A small direct damage and Minor vulnerability ( increases damage taken ) / Wall of elements -> Off-balance if wielding a lightning staff

Magic damage doesn't apply any special affects, just like Physical damage doesn't apply any special affects for stam users, while disease and poison do, however, it's worth noting that status effects are much more powerful for magicka because their builds can take advantage of it moreso than disease and poison.

Poison - A powerful DoT for 6s
    Disease - A small direct damage and major Defile.

These dots have chance to apply via abilities using their damage as well as enchants, meanwhile physical and magic can't apply anything else thus making elemental and poison/disease more powerful than magic/physical EXCEPT for sets or class abilities that buff it specifically.
    Edited by Jodynn on July 31, 2019 4:55PM
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @brandoncoffmannub18_ESO Diseased, chilled and concussed are just one tick of damage followed by the debuffs you mention, not a dot.

"powerful" is an overstatement, it does like 1k ticks. not that much.

also, element weapon applies a random debuff every hit, so it is all right.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on July 30, 2019 4:15PM
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Burning
    @brandoncoffmannub18_ESO Diseased, chilled and concussed are just one tick of damage followed by the debuffs you mention, not a dot.

"powerful" is an overstatement, it does like 1k ticks. not that much.

Classification is justified.

Concuss and Chill are indeed a dot, go smack someone with ele weapon and watch it.

Also for more info
    • Weapon enchants 20%
    • Standard ability 10%
    • Area of effect abilities 5%
    • Damage over time abilities 3%
    • Area of effect damage over time abilities 1%
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm lazy, too stoopid to understand all this, and don't want to have to think for myself...

Is this gonna be any good on a magden?

I've been deconning all the ES gear I get from vMA o.O
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm lazy, too stoopid to understand all this, and don't want to have to think for myself...

uhhhhh probably not, maybe in pvp
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Thanks. This is tangential to the actual OP, but does anyone have a good guide that explains how this all works? Magicka damage vs elemental vs poison vs. etc etc etc
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks. This is tangential to the actual OP, but does anyone have a good guide that explains how this all works? Magicka damage vs elemental vs poison vs. etc etc etc

I mean I kind of just did lol, what more would you like explained?
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Concuss and Chill are indeed a dot, go smack someone with ele weapon and watch it.

they certainly are not.

chilled, concussed and burning-

rZ23Fbc.jpg

diseased-

385q6nG.jpg

like i said, they are one tick of damage followed by the debuffed you mentioned. Diseased, chilled and concussed are not dots.

• Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

they certainly are not.

chilled, concussed and burning-

rZ23Fbc.jpg

diseased-

385q6nG.jpg

like i said, they are one tick of damage followed by the debuffed you mentioned. Diseased, chilled and concussed are not dots.

Your log is too cluttered, just use ele weapon -once-
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

really? you cant see the timestamps on the side there? are you being willfully ignorant?
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

really? you cant see the timestamps on the side there? are you being willfully ignorant?

No I just never read the logs, I'm sorry, I don't know if it classifies dots you have 13 ele weapons 6 chilled, 4 concussion and 9 burning... so if you just use it once... it's easier to see if it's a dot or just one tick
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Force Pulse spam incoming....
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

No I just never read the logs, I'm sorry, I don't know if it classifies dots you have 13 ele weapons 6 chilled, 4 concussion and 9 burning... so if you just use it once... it's easier to see if it's a dot or just one tick

burning ticks 3 times in 4 seconds. so 9/3= 3 and 6+4+3 = 13. my god man, are you that dense?
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Am more than just fine being wrong, the debuff lasts... 4 seconds?

I thought it also ticked more than once, if I'm wrong, that's fine with me.
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
  • Austinseph1
    Austinseph1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody tested on magnecro or magDk against bsw or siroria?
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can test but the cooldown is currently incorrect so...
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Am more than just fine being wrong, the debuff lasts... 4 seconds?

I thought it also ticked more than once, if I'm wrong, that's fine with me.

yes the debuff last for 4 seconds. that is not a dot though, it is not damage over time. you are wrong.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Unless the developers change it so that skills that do "magic" damage are changed to the element of your staff this will continue to be a weak set for all but DKs and maybe Magicka Necromancers.

I am seriously considering running this on my Magicka DK. I will wait for it to be live before I start farming though. The developers could decide at any moment that they want this set to be trash...
    Playing since beta...
  • FatelessLava
    FatelessLava
    ✭✭✭
    I’ve tested it in its current state on magcro. With the weird cooldown PTS shows 5 when notes say 4 it’s about 56-70% uptime on the elements with 66% ish being the average. It does almost as much as a BSW set up in my own testing but has higher uptime. Once they fix (if) the cool down to the proper 4 second the uptime will be higher. I run khajiit so I love the extra magic bonus it gives.

BSW uptime was max 56% on my necro.
    Edited by FatelessLava on July 30, 2019 5:14PM
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So, you need to get an elemental Succession Inferno Staff now to make this Set be really good for one or two classes? That sounds like a fun grind.
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Runefang wrote: »
    It looks good, but not overwhelming. It does not proc on ground aoes, only direct damage.

Really? That makes it pretty worthless unless you’re a DK then. Direct lightning and frost damage is hard to come by in a PvE build.

Dont forget the force pulse buff. It procs all three elements, has a high chance to proc status effects on cast and is overall pretty strong. On a mag dk it is a great set for example even without force pulse, especially since it is not limited to a single target as spell strat is.
    Edited by Masel on July 30, 2019 5:31PM
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • Austinseph1
    Austinseph1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    So, you need to get an elemental Succession Inferno Staff now to make this Set be really good for one or two classes? That sounds like a fun grind.

Now something to hunt for while you are looking an extra maelstrom staff for an alt? 😂
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is just another reason for them to make the basic gear sets from Maelstrom Area BoE rather than BoP like Dragonstar gear.

Not that running through nMA is hard, but for people who do MA a lot, and are stam-centric players, this could provide nice trader sale items.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is just another reason for them to make the basic gear sets from Maelstrom Area BoE rather than BoP like Dragonstar gear.

Not that running through nMA is hard, but for people who do MA a lot, and are stam-centric players, this could provide nice trader sale items.

I completely agree
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

MA is a solo arena with bound item sets.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on July 30, 2019 6:06PM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »

Honestly. It does. There should be more sets unique to different classes. How boring is it with 6 classes all running the same set. About time.

DK's and Necro's rejoice.

I miss when Elfbane was bis for a quick minute. Made coming from a 12s stam rotation to an 8s mag rotation easier to manage, but that set is very far behind now.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit