Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Home Decorators For Hire?

• Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aurelle1 wrote: »
    Magdalina, that is fantastic :)

Do you have other homes you can post pics of?

I have my own small Autumn's Gate, I'll take some pictures for you in a bit :)
    Glad you like o:)
  • Silufadumar
    Silufadumar
    ✭✭✭
    @Opticon you've not said what system you play on (I'm on Xbox), to get direct help with your decorating or invites to view other players homes for inspiration, we (the community) need to know what platform you play on.

I think there are quite a few people regardless what system your on, that would be willing to help you out, some may want payment, while others would likely do it just for fun. Asking here on the forums is a good place to start, but I would check with your guildmates for help also. Not a member of a guild! Use the forum to find some and join a few.

Lastly, wether you want to try your hand at it yourself or want ideas to pass on to your decorator, take a look on YouTube where you can find many inspiring creations.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Magdalina :

That looks very, very nice, I have to give you that ! Congratulations :)
  • Sticky_Paws
    Sticky_Paws
    ✭✭✭
    I actually do housing decoration for others but I work with the home owner to figure out what they are looking for (style/theme) and what kinda budget they have in mind for the finished look. I have acted as a style consultant and made suggestions/edits for things that appear (off or floating).

Its reallt pretty enjoyable but I havent used it for profit.
  • CoyoteNZ
    CoyoteNZ
    ✭✭
    I have somebody who decorates my houses for me.

They email me all the stuff, I place it in either the house or the yard, and then they place and make it look cool.

It would be a lot better/easier if they were able to actually place things themselves, rather than emailing them to me so I can place them and then have them move them.

They are master crafter in all crafts and collect lots of designs.
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If fact I have made a bunch of money making large Pokémon from rocks for people courtyards. They go out buy a bunch of rocks lay them out and I build it then they tip me. One friend even gave me 100k gold to build a large onix that he could climb on. It took awhile to build but looked cool.
  • SSlarg
    SSlarg
    ✭✭✭
    if you are looking for that "haunted" look

I am that guy lol
    PS4 NA PSN - SSlarg
    Currently Looking To Buy:
    NoThInG
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also do decoration upon request, but I havent used it for profit, either.
    Fringe benefits from guild leaders perhaps, or a favor here and there, but not for a lump sum of gold.
  • Sheyta
    Sheyta
    ✭✭✭
    Well I been decorating house as a job before
    I been in EQ & swg decorating houses for a fee however for a high fee even real cash fee.

Those who are interested to look at my house can send me a private msg.

Well did a poll about intrest in decorators here

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/365524/is-there-a-demand-for-home-decorators-for-homestead#latest
    Edited by Sheyta on August 12, 2017 5:49PM
  • cyberjanet
    cyberjanet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Opticon there is probably a market for this but not an organised one. I hired a decorator and comments from fellow guildmembers went along the lines of "why don't we know about this service?"

Here's how it went. A year or more back, I spent an afternoon with someone from my trade guild, looking at her houses, and she was a great decorator. Just recently I bought Barbed Hook and Sisters of the Sands - I already have Flaming Nix and wanted to complete the trio. I am TERRIBLE at decorating, even worse than at vMA, but I thought it would be nice to have some properly decorated places for a change. So I contacted her and offered her 100k per place. They are not big and I thought it was a fair price. She thought so too, and accepted. So that was around 1k per slot, as they have 100 slots each with ESO+

We started off with a brief discussions about what ideas I had. For Sisters of the Sands, I thought a Dance of the Seven Veils would be a starting point. Barbed Hook, I thought we could play on the name, maybe use the anchor I bought a while back. It's way too big for the place though, but it started off a thought process. Obviously I had to give her decorator access.

She gave me a list of things to buy, and I had to spend the time chasing around the guild stores. She also gave me a list of crafted items; things I can craft I crafted, otherwise she gave me a list of materials I had to chase around getting for the things she could craft. She would craft the stuff then send the items to me.

I had to place all the items in the house and wait for her to do her magic. I paid her when she was about 75% done, but you could probably arrange as in real life, a deposit, progress payments and a final payment. Just like in real life, it will depend on you and the decorator.

My husband was very ill at the time, and I thought it would cheer him up to have her do up his Mistveil Manor. He had bought the furnished one with crowns, and was very disappointed in the final product. It looked nothing like that lovely loading screen with the khajiits in it. We tracked down that loading screen as her brief: something with that feel. He was very distracted by having to do all the shopping, and also play for some achievements to get the associated furniture items. For example, we had to do a month's worth of delve dailies in summerset to qualify for the waterfall (we did in a week, doing all the quests at a time), plus do dark brotherhood and thieves' guild stuff for things like sweetrolls and adoring fans. That was a 600 slot house, and I paid her 300k for that, which works out at around 500g per slot.

Bear in mind that your decorator will want to fill every single slot, so you are going to be spending a great deal of money on non-craftable furniture and gazillions on crafting materials. We completely depleted our stores of furniture materials, stuff we had built up since the launch of housing and never used.

I think that just as in real life, you have to find someone you enjoy working with and build a relationship with them. Read guild notes for people and see if any enjoy decorating or craft a lot of furniture, and visit their houses. If you get the Essential Housing Tools Addon, there are many open houses you can visit and when you find someone whose style you like, you can approach them. I would recommend you start with a smaller place first, so that if it doesn't work out, you're not losing your game life savings. But usually, just like in real life, you can get a feel if they are genuine.

My decorator was happy because she was being paid to play the part of the game she enjoys the most; she didn't have to do farming for materials and she didn't have to spend any money on the furniture. I'm happy because my places look nice without my having any talent for that part of the game at all.

Now i have to up my trading so that I can accumulate more funds to keep on doing this.

I am on PC EU by the way. My decorator is in a housing guild and there may be other people in there willing to do this sort of thing. You could also look for housing guilds on other servers if you are not in EU.
    Edited by cyberjanet on July 26, 2019 6:49AM
    Favourite NPC: Wine-For-All
    Mostly PC-EU , with a lonely little guy on NA.
  • sueblue
    sueblue
    ✭✭✭✭
    I decorate for clients all the time. My rate is what I could make farming per hour plus the cost of furniture or mats. It's fun and lucrative!

As a designer, I am very picky about the clients I will work for. A good attitude, an open-mind, and generosity are very important traits when working with someone. Basically, if I wouldn't want to chat with them for long periods of time and wouldn't trust them enough to buy crowns from, I wouldn't work with them.
    Edited by sueblue on July 26, 2019 7:09AM
    Awake/Asleep, I dream.
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing is, as this one sees it, if you have already chosen the items you wish to be in your home or business then you are already 75% there. An interesting property is not always interesting for the placement of the items but for the vision the purchaser had for the space first of all.

It's also about personal expression. If Khajiit arranges your things then it's not you personally expressing yourself via the medium of chair arrangements but this one. It might be your name over the door but it's still not really yours.

This one doesn't know why anyone would want a house and then not want to decorate it themselves.

It's not about 'talent', it's not about 'the best house'. It's about your house. Only you can make it really yours.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's a nice idea and I have contemplated trying to do it myself, but it's very hard to organise and also, advertise (for me, anyway).

It's already hard enough, when furniture crafting, and people want to know what an item is.

Even when you provide the name, they either can't be bothered to look it up (to find which mats are needed), or they can't find it online.

You can, obviously, do it if you're just moving people's existing stuff around, but in terms of trying to recreate something you have already created in your own home, it's just too complicated to do in-game.

This is because you would have to either provide a very long list of items, for people to acquire and then place (for you to then move), or you would have to provide a list of mats needed, to make the items (even assuming you can make them all), then send the items to them, to place, before then being able to move them...

It's too complicated, unless perhaps you made your own website with all the necessary furniture info and forms for the client to fill in about what they want and stuff, but not many people are going to want to bother with all that, for a bit of virtual money, in a game.

Not only that, but most people don't even seem to want to pay you 1K to make a piece of furniture for them, lol.

Even though the plans for some of this stuff cost hundreds of thousands of gold each.

So, presumably, they are not going to want to pay you much for moving their furniture around, either?

Even though it can, literally, take days (if you already have a plan in mind and all the items), or more likely weeks (if you don't), to do properly.
    Edited by Tigerseye on July 26, 2019 1:26PM
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know people who've had their houses decorated by their friends, the decorator gave them a list of furnishings to get, and the owner had to just acquire them and place them in the house, then the decorator did the rest. It's not very convenient, and it would be great if those with decorator permissions could place furnishings themselves, but at least it's possible.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's also about personal expression. If Khajiit arranges your things then it's not you personally expressing yourself via the medium of chair arrangements but this one. It might be your name over the door but it's still not really yours.

This one doesn't know why anyone would want a house and then not want to decorate it themselves.

It's not about 'talent', it's not about 'the best house'. It's about your house. Only you can make it really yours.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

Interior designers wouldn't exist in real life, if everyone thought like that, though.

Some people either prefer/trust someone else's taste, more than they do their own, or they just don't have the time/inclination to bother.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    By the way, I think it would help a lot, in terms of the people who want a copy of someone's home, if visitors could (automatically) get a list of your furnishings, which they could then screenshot.

Then they could either go shopping for the items, or look them up on esofashion and send you (or someone else) the mats and gold to craft them.

If that was possible, I would then be happy to place the items, very carefully, in the right places, for 1K per slot (in advance).

I think it's the list-making and deal-making that is the most daunting and off-putting, for most decorators; not the placing of items.
    Edited by Tigerseye on July 26, 2019 2:08PM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Another issue is that the decorator cannot open any door with a furnishing item in his hand. Which means, that the owner also has to decide what goes inside or outside or in what room. Very inconvenient.

True.

• Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Apart from that, I have yet to see a player decorated home that looks nicer than ZOS' furnished houses - which imho look absolutely gorgeous). But that, again, is probably a matter of taste.

Do you mean the ZoS "furnishing" in the loading screens, which is sometimes unachievable, in-game, due to it exceeding the furnishing limits and even when you can achieve it, you would have to leave the rest of the room bare (or the rest of the house, comparatively, under-furnished) to do so?!

Because, I can't imagine you could possibly mean the ZoS pre-furnished houses, which you can actually buy, as they are genuinely pretty awful and incomplete and almost anyone can improve on them.

The only real reason for their existence is that some of them include items which are not obtainable in-game (or are very expensive, in-game).

Personally, I have seen plenty of houses that I feel exceed the former, let alone the latter.

Edited by Tigerseye on July 26, 2019 2:38PM
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I build one-off homes for people.
    It's really straight forward.
    Ask them what they like.
    Find out what functions they need.
    Do a mock-up on PTS.
    If they like it, build it.
    They can decorate it or I will.
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Zypheran wrote: »
    I build one-off homes for people.
    It's really straight forward.
    Ask them what they like.
    Find out what functions they need.
    Do a mock-up on PTS.
    If they like it, build it.
    They can decorate it or I will.

A lot of work if they don't like them, though?

Personally, I would not want to furnish a house twice and only get paid once.

Also, how do you get them to provide mats/furnishing items without making lists?

Do you just charge them for everything in one go?

If so, I couldn't do that, as it takes me too long to find, even vaguely, reasonably priced mats.
    Edited by Tigerseye on July 27, 2019 2:01AM
  • Sharalei
    Sharalei
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've considered decorating for others, as people seen to like my homes. I worry that my love of decorating would become a job, spoiling the enjoyment of decorating for me. But assuming I entertain the idea, I'd do it this way.

Open a number of completed homes as Display Homes to the public. Purchaser pays for a package, carbon copy of what they see. From there, the purchaser would be able to chose from the following price packages:

1. Empty build of house (for when I use building blocks to create living areas).
    2. Build of house + your materials.
    3. Build of house + furniture provided by myself.
    4. Decoration of house with your materials.
    5. Deocration of house with my furniture, all inclusive.

In this way, there would be no risk of the buyer not liking my decorating, as they have purchased an exact copy of what they saw at my house, plus a few tweeks from their personal suggestions.

If a number of decorators formed a guild "Decorators Incorporated", and had their homes on display for potential customers, the market could open for such an undertaking. Customers are more likely to trust a decorator who is a part of a guild formed for the purpose of providing a decorating service, I think.

Anyways, just thinking aloud. Cheers!
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those of you who play on PC/Mac, I thought I would share my walk through of how to use Essential Housing Tools to easily Copy a room (or an entire home) with a few clicks and share that Copy with with another player, allowing them to Paste the same exact set up into their own home (even if it's a different home or on a different server).

The process is straightforward and the Clipboard export includes:
    - Instructions for pasting the clipboard items into the recipient's home
    - An itemized list of every single item that is required to paste the clipboard

If you intend to design homes for other players or if you plan to hire a designer, I would highly recommend that you take just a minute to see how easy the process is. It is a game changer, particularly for this aspect of ESO Housing. <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsMIiHQ1YD8

Essential Housing Tools | Don't just build something...
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a lady in my guild who lends out her skills to other members all the time for home decorating. I don't know if she is getting paid for it; I'll have to ask her. Knowing her, as she is such a sweet person, she would never dream of charging for her services. But I could be wrong.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There is a lady in my guild who lends out her skills to other members all the time for home decorating. I don't know if she is getting paid for it; I'll have to ask her. Knowing her, as she is such a sweet person, she would never dream of charging for her services. But I could be wrong.

Shouldn't take advantage of people who are too sweet to ask for compensation for their time.

If someone could be earning money, in the game, if they weren't doing someone else's decorating, that someone else should pay them (at least) what they could have otherwise earned.
    Edited by Tigerseye on July 29, 2019 5:35PM
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »

Shouldn't take advantage of people who are too sweet to ask for compensation for their time.

If someone could be earning money, in the game, if they weren't doing someone else's decorating, that someone else should pay them (at least) what they could have otherwise earned.

I've never asked her to help me but yes, I can see your point.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I've never asked her to help me but yes, I can see your point.

No, I didn't think you probably had - I meant people in general.
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My experience with this is that decorating alone doesn't really attract potential to make gold.
    What people really want is a home that nobody else in game has. So the real opportunity here is in custom builds.
    Below is a build I did for somebody for gold. This is the mock up version I did for them on the PTS. There was some slight tweaks done after this when rebuilding it on live.
    Essentially this person now has a completely unique home. Consider the Crown Store. People will pay highly for something exclusive or rare.
    https://youtu.be/vxWfY_7zY10
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Then I'm definitely out, as I don't have any desire to build extensively in a game like this.
  • sueblue
    sueblue
    ✭✭✭✭

It's a good policy to always tip Crafters/designer's even if they insist they don't want anything. Their time is valuable and showing your appreciation with gold isn't hard because you can always make more. :p
    Awake/Asleep, I dream.
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zypheran wrote: »
    My experience with this is that decorating alone doesn't really attract potential to make gold.
    What people really want is a home that nobody else in game has. So the real opportunity here is in custom builds.
    Below is a build I did for somebody for gold. This is the mock up version I did for them on the PTS. There was some slight tweaks done after this when rebuilding it on live.
    Essentially this person now has a completely unique home. Consider the Crown Store. People will pay highly for something exclusive or rare.
    https://youtu.be/vxWfY_7zY10

Now I'm going to have to preview that estate to see what it looks like without your improvements. You did a beautiful job. I'd be interested to know how much help you had from addons. I play on console and wonder if I can do anything remotely similar.