The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Martial Knowledge nerf?

satanio
satanio
✭✭✭✭
That was way too brutal. I can understand that longer coldown to duration ratio were changed, but from 75% stamina level to 50% stamina level... ah. That set went from being actually good to be underwhelmingly bad. It cannot be procced on demand by tank, healers still could do it somehow, but healer with 50% stamina is a often a dead healer.

How do you see those nerfs, and can you see it being used in your trial group after these nerfs?
Current public stam parses on Iron Atro so far (esologs)
DW&Bow
DW&2H
2H&Bow
Bow&Bow

Current public mag parses on Iron Atro (esologs)
(non cheese)
ESOLEAKS CASUALTIES:
Checkmath
Tasear
RIP
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This set was not good but now worst to use.

ZOS sometime over nerf things, MK is an example.
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One of the worst changes. Until 5.1.3. we had actualy nice group optimization possibilities via Martial Knowledge and Z'en's Redress. Now we get to the very same before-Scalebreaker excrement called 8 stamina necros, nothing else allowed.
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on July 29, 2019 8:18PM
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    satanio wrote: »
    That was way too brutal. I can understand that longer coldown to duration ratio were changed, but from 75% stamina level to 50% stamina level... ah. That set went from being actually good to be underwhelmingly bad. It cannot be procced on demand by tank, healers still could do it somehow, but healer with 50% stamina is a often a dead healer.

How do you see those nerfs, and can you see it being used in your trial group after these nerfs?

That set was never good to begin with. I get that you may be upset because you use it, but don't expect people to care about such a minor issue. Niche builds suffer lonely. :/
  • satanio
    satanio
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZonasArch wrote: »

That set was never good to begin with. I get that you may be upset because you use it, but don't expect people to care about such a minor issue. Niche builds suffer lonely. :/

Well, That set was good as of 5.1.0. Changed from 10% dmg to one direct dmg ability proced with LA to 10% for 4 sec with 6 sec coldown proced with LA while under 75% stamina.

If 10% inc dmg for 4 seconds for WHOLE group is considered niche, then hell, alkosh is niche set and so is yolnakrin.
    DW&Bow
    DW&2H
    2H&Bow
    Bow&Bow

(non cheese)
    ESOLEAKS CASUALTIES:
    Checkmath
    Tasear
    RIP
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The MK nerf isn’t too bad. At least it lasts 5s instead of 4s after activation. It will still get used, and arguably synergizes better with PotL now that it is best to use every 8-9s. Max uptime is 62.5% and the benefit is 8% damage taken debuff, so tooltip 5% damage increase on average. This should result in about 4% group DPS increase against that enemy, so about the same as Olorime (but useless against groups of enemies).

The Z’en’s change seems much harsher. How was it determined that the set needed its effect cut in half when nobody has been able to test it (broken since PTS started)? We still don’t even know for sure which DoTs work.
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The set was never good before Scalebreaker. But from 5.1.0 till 5.1.3 it was acttualy very good support set usable by both tanks and healers. ZoS doesn't want coordinated gameplay anymore.

First it was done with Sunderflame and Night Mother Gaze. You had to optimize your group via these sets which was a very good game design, however it was completely removed.
    Now they did something similar with Martial Knowledge and Z'en's Redress. You could optimize your group setup via these sets and guess what? It is again being removed.

Intent to remove coordinated gameplay is getting more clear. Praise 8 stamina necro setups, I guess?
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on July 29, 2019 8:33PM
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cast Ring of Preservation once and it chunks off almost half of remaining stam.
  • satanio
    satanio
    ✭✭✭✭
    The MK nerf isn’t too bad. At least it lasts 5s instead of 4s after activation. It will still get used, and arguably synergizes better with PotL now that it is best to use every 8-9s.
    Yes, exactly, healers can somehow use it, if they like to risk. But we can check it off from list of good tank sets, because to be honest, it was tedious enough even on 75% level of stamina but now that set becomes a danger at 50% stamina for not so good payoff.

DW&Bow
    DW&2H
    2H&Bow
    Bow&Bow

(non cheese)
    ESOLEAKS CASUALTIES:
    Checkmath
    Tasear
    RIP
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ravage stamina pots new meta? :smiley:
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @satanio @Olupajmibanan what you guys failed to realize is that it's isn't live. Being good in one iteration of pts doesn't mean that set is good at all! It means o kg that, for that week, it was like that. You can only say it was good if it makes to live. 5.1.0 version won't make it to live so this set, as I said, was never good to begin with and will remain bad and niche. If you went ahead and bought it on live ahead of the change, that's on you. You made a bet and you bet wrong and that's it. Pts is always subject to change week to week. Think the popular (and wrong) understanding of shrodinger cat... Until you open the box, the cat is both alive and dead.

This set can still be changed again and be good, btw, but complaining about a Nerf of something that never technically existed to begin with? This is taking it too far. We all hate needing but this isn't how you make them stop. Don't abuse the word, or you risk taking the meaning away from it.
  • satanio
    satanio
    ✭✭✭✭
    @satanio @Olupajmibanan what you guys failed to realize is that it's isn't live. Being good in one iteration of pts doesn't mean that set is good at all! It means o kg that, for that week, it was like that. You can only say it was good if it makes to live. 5.1.0 version won't make it to live so this set, as I said, was never good to begin with and will remain bad and niche. If you went ahead and bought it on live ahead of the change, that's on you. You made a bet and you bet wrong and that's it. Pts is always subject to change week to week. Think the popular (and wrong) understanding of shrodinger cat... Until you open the box, the cat is both alive and dead.

This set can still be changed again and be good, btw, but complaining about a Nerf of something that never technically existed to begin with? This is taking it too far. We all hate needing but this isn't how you make them stop. Don't abuse the word, or you risk taking the meaning away from it.

What are you talking about? This is PTS section of a forum, created to provide a feedback for a given PTS iteration of given PTS patch, that pretty much exists in reality on PTS server.
    In this patch, on first iteration, they've manage to make affable support set Martial Knowledge. After 2 iterations, they've managed to make it less appealing and not good in regards to my observation. I'm providing my feedback.

This set can be changed again, but it would not be, if people don't raise opinions, because you know, in my country we say that silence gives consent.

But please, don't turn this discussion into pseudo-philosophical topic about existence or non-existence of things. That is not what this forum is created for.

jeez.
    DW&Bow
    DW&2H
    2H&Bow
    Bow&Bow

(non cheese)
    ESOLEAKS CASUALTIES:
    Checkmath
    Tasear
    RIP
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

ALERT! "8 stamnecros or GTFO" trial leader spotted.
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on July 29, 2019 9:53PM
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Hehe not quite. You're wrong on multiple accounts. I don't lead, I don't run trials(for the most part) and I don't even own Elsweyr.

But yeah... I guess you got my point.
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

What are you talking about? This is PTS section of a forum, created to provide a feedback for a given PTS iteration of given PTS patch, that pretty much exists in reality on PTS server.
    In this patch, on first iteration, they've manage to make affable support set Martial Knowledge. After 2 iterations, they've managed to make it less appealing and not good in regards to my observation. I'm providing my feedback.

This set can be changed again, but it would not be, if people don't raise opinions, because you know, in my country we say that silence gives consent.

But please, don't turn this discussion into pseudo-philosophical topic about existence or non-existence of things. That is not what this forum is created for.

jeez.

How can you nerf something that only exists in the realm of a test environment? If it's being tested, it isn't being nerfed. It's being, well... Tested.
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Hehe not quite. You're wrong on multiple accounts. I don't lead, I don't run trials(for the most part) and I don't even own Elsweyr.

What are you doing here then? Should I discuss arrogancy of some countries when I am not their resident?
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

What are you doing here then? Should I discuss arrogancy of some countries when I am not their resident?

Is that all the game has to you? Trials and the newest dlc only? Hehe poor human. My game is full of other activities! FULL. I love this game.
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Is that all the game has to you? Trials and the newest dlc only? Hehe poor human. My game is full of other activities! FULL. I love this game.

Okay, should I engage in QoL request topics, the way like you here? Should I just turn away any problems that are concerning given area?

You know why I don't do that? Because I am not you. I respect other areas of the game that are of concern to another players. You just poke your nose where you shouldn't, playing the Devil's advocate here and wasting our time as well as yours.
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This thread is for discussing the recent changes on PTS to a set that was looking to be a great group utility set in earlier PTS patches. If you have another grievance that does not constructively relate to this, please start another thread and I'll happily let you pointlessly troll me there personally. Right now, you are derailing a constructive conversation. Please and thank you.

To the OP, this may seem like a massive nerf, but the changes to Bone Surge make it (Bone Surge) a really attractive stam skill for healers, since it's going to give Major Vitality to 6 players at once now, which is really needed after losing some of our layered healing capabilities (assuming they fix the over-performing EV). Keeping up PotL and BS should keep our stam low enough to reliably proc this set. The uptime issue is kinda ugly, and I'm not sure I understand why they felt it was necessary, but It can be extended to 7 seconds with Jorvulds.
    Edited by p00tx on July 29, 2019 10:13PM
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
  • troomar
    troomar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how I feel about this change.

On one hand it's interesting to have people running dedicated sets for organized groups. It adds to the complexity and some people love complex things.
    But on the other hand I have lots of experience from other games where you have to have a player with specific sets or skills or a role to provide. And sometimes it was a pain to find someone for that spot. Yes, you could do that without them, but you knew you were already suboptimal from the very beginning. And it wasn't enjoyable, because you *knew* you will struggle. The simple knowledge of that fact demoralized the group. I'm exaggerating a bit of course, but the point remains.

So I'm probably quite happy we are allowed to run whatever we want (to some degree).
    Yes.
  • satanio
    satanio
    ✭✭✭✭

jeez.

How can you nerf something that only exists in the realm of a test environment? If it's being tested, it isn't being nerfed. It's being, well... Tested.

Because in the realm of test enviroment, there are patch iterations (5.1.0, 5.1.1 and so on). During these patch iterations, many things change while taking player feedback into an account. Sometimes, a set, for example Martial Knowledge, gets changed multiple times, for example 5.1.0 overhaul and 5.1.3 nerfed overhaul. And because we are in the PUBLIC TEST SERVER part of a forum, major channel for new patch feedback, we can say that after 5.1.3 Martial Knowledge set was nerfed in comparison to its previous 5.1.0 version.
    DW&Bow
    DW&2H
    2H&Bow
    Bow&Bow

(non cheese)
    ESOLEAKS CASUALTIES:
    Checkmath
    Tasear
    RIP
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    troomar wrote: »

On one hand it's interesting to have people running dedicated sets for organized groups. It adds to the complexity and some people love complex things.
    But on the other hand I have lots of experience from other games where you have to have a player with specific sets or skills or a role to provide. And sometimes it was a pain to find someone for that spot. Yes, you could do that without them, but you knew you were already suboptimal from the very beginning. And it wasn't enjoyable, because you *knew* you will struggle. The simple knowledge of that fact demoralized the group. I'm exaggerating a bit of course, but the point remains.

So I'm probably quite happy we are allowed to run whatever we want (to some degree).

I agree, it's great game design to have dedicated group sets provided these sets are easily obtainable and widely available to anyone.
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on July 29, 2019 10:16PM
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm entirely satisfied with this particular aspect of ESO. A set for groups or a selfish one, if ran properly, will make for ok runs either way, unless you're going for scores or speed runs.
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm entirely satisfied with this particular aspect of ESO. A set for groups or a selfish one, if ran properly, will make for ok runs either way, unless you're going for scores or speed runs.

What can you possibly know about "runs" as you call them?
    I don't lead, I don't run trials(for the most part) and I don't even own Elsweyr.

• troomar
    troomar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, it's great game design to have dedicated group sets provided these sets are easily obtainable and widely available to anyone.

I agree too :D

@satanio made a point that this still is part of the game - mostly on tanks (Alkosh, Ebon, Yolna) and healers (Olorime), while on DPS it was removed. This is an interesting question - what was behind the decision to remove support sets from DPS and keep them on tanks and healers only? This is also a bit dangerous question, because people will just say - ofc, tanks and healers are support roles, they should wear support sets. But is it really? In other games it's often not like that.
    Yes.
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I agree too :D

@satanio made a point that this still is part of the game - mostly on tanks (Alkosh, Ebon, Yolna) and healers (Olorime), while on DPS it was removed. This is an interesting question - what was behind the decision to remove support sets from DPS and keep them on tanks and healers only? This is also a bit dangerous question, because people will just say - ofc, tanks and healers are support roles, they should wear support sets. But is it really? In other games it's often not like that.

I think it's just the concept of min/maxing at work. Competition breeds ingenuity, and someone figured out it gave more of a competitive edge to turn healers and tanks into support mules so DPS could go full dmg. As a healer, I kinda like it. No, I don't like the sustain loss when I have to wear Hircines or Ebon, but it's not that bad once I've properly transmuted and re-glyphed the sets for a mag user, and it makes the role more dynamic and interesting vs just spamming heals the whole time. When I tank (which is rare, but it happens), I like that I have to do more than just just poke, hold block, and heal myself. Keeping up debuffs and paying closer attention to creating a balanced tank build makes success feel more rewarding, because I have to be more mindful of my resources and positioning, since I'm not just built for sheer personal survival.

Both ways are fine in terms of game play (healbot vs support healer and perma-block tank vs support tank), but I like that I have choices and can choose to be more challenged in my gameplay if I want.
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
  • satanio
    satanio
    ✭✭✭✭
    p00tx wrote: »
    To the OP, this may seem like a massive nerf, but the changes to Bone Surge make it (Bone Surge) a really attractive stam skill for healers, since it's going to give Major Vitality to 6 players at once now, which is really needed after losing some of our layered healing capabilities (assuming they fix the over-performing EV). Keeping up PotL and BS should keep our stam low enough to reliably proc this set. The uptime issue is kinda ugly, and I'm not sure I understand why they felt it was necessary, but It can be extended to 7 seconds with Jorvulds.
    I agree that healer, or magDD, are now only specs that can wear it and use it reliably. But the downside is being at 50% stamina. I stated that it could be dangerous for a healer to use in a trial situation and I hope that you could also address this concern. Do you think that it is worth the danger of being not broken free out of stun and potentionally die? Will you use it once the patch comes live?

Didn't know that it is extendable. Thanks for info. Will definitely try that.
    DW&Bow
    DW&2H
    2H&Bow
    Bow&Bow

(non cheese)
    ESOLEAKS CASUALTIES:
    Checkmath
    Tasear
    RIP
  • FrankonPC
    FrankonPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was excited to use this in pvp in its original form. In it's current form I don't think it's useful enough to use, and I agree in PVE that it's also equally a tough fit. Reduce the buff but give us the 75% proc condition maybe to even it out?
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not saying it's a good DPS set, but it was never a tank/healer set, which was why they probably changed it.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People still use this set? I thought this set died out years ago.
  • The_Last_Titan
    The_Last_Titan
    ✭✭✭
    go back to 75% stam requirement, no need to change that