Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The cost of Cornflower

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of great suggestions/ideas from many, many people in here.

Curious how the OP will dismiss them this time, as that seemed to be all they've done in this thread :disappointed:
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • Grandma
    Grandma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP asked for a way to lower the price of cornflower... ZOS listened.

On current pts, every magicka dps uses Degeneration or an entropy morph that gives the user Major Sorcery for longer than the duration of the dot [20 seconds i believe?] so even if you have crappy uptime on the dot you still have 100$ uptime on major sorcery.

on the other hand, you still can't craft potion + major prophecy potions without 3 ingredients, so while corn flower will go down, other prices may go up. unless you're not a sorc, and you double slot inner light still, in which case you can competitively use TRASH REGULAR MAGICKA POTIONS. a dream come true.
    GH / 3/04/2021 / Elemental Catalyst Necromancer
  • Skwor
    Skwor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Grandma wrote: »
    OP asked for a way to lower the price of cornflower... ZOS listened.

On current pts, every magicka dps uses Degeneration or an entropy morph that gives the user Major Sorcery for longer than the duration of the dot [20 seconds i believe?] so even if you have crappy uptime on the dot you still have 100$ uptime on major sorcery.

on the other hand, you still can't craft potion + major prophecy potions without 3 ingredients, so while corn flower will go down, other prices may go up. unless you're not a sorc, and you double slot inner light still, in which case you can competitively use TRASH REGULAR MAGICKA POTIONS. a dream come true.

Why even have the pots then? Basically why have alchemy if they keep changing mechanics to make the pots pointless?

Basically turning ESO into a Fortnight light kind of game. No thought or effort required.
    Edited by Skwor on July 29, 2019 11:02AM
  • phwaap
    phwaap
    ✭✭✭
    It also seems to not be easy to buy on EU based on some looking I did. I don't want to play Elder Scrolls Online - The Guild Seller Hunting Game though, so perhaps I am missing it because of that. I have just pulled out a few alchemy surveys I have stored up when that need arises. I am fairly low on my stock of that, though I am personally pushing as many crafters out of the need for 3 of it in the daily writs now.
    Surveys clearly will help but many crafters introduces some new issues. My 11 on max alchemy just drained my mudcrab chitin ;) That's the only thing I don't remember to regularly to harvest.
  • Alastrine
    Alastrine
    ✭✭✭✭
    How about this.. you farm it, and sell tons in a guild store super cheap.
    That will lower the overall cost as everyone will be buying from you. Methinks if you put in that farm time though that you would like the gold it could earn you.

So annoying when people complain about the price of something that they can easily go get for themselves at zero cost from any zone. You don't want to put the time into farming but you want to be able to buy it cheap from others that HAVE put in the hours doing so.

As others have said, its supply and demand. If things change and the pots cornflower makes are no longer wanted then the price will drop, just like others have done in the past. Till then, either find another pot to use if you don't want to pay the price or put on your farm boots and go get your own.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Killing crabs is annoying, but easier to farm crabs than Cornflower!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, which is why you see bots farming mudcrabs and not corn flower. Of course, the real bot money turned to jewelry and ore outcroppings once that became available. I don't see as many mudcrab or wolf hide bots as I used to, plenty of ore and seam bots these days.
  • beadabow
    beadabow
    ✭✭✭
    I used to sell cornflower, opting for slotting skills and wearing gear that were suitable alternatives to achieve the buffs/regen, but when running vMA, I decided to go with the pots to free up the slots (no rhyme intended!). NOW, I am scrambling to do all of my alchemy surveys and farm every scrap of cornflower I see! I kick myself for selling it! Fortunately, I have not had to buy any yet, but my supply is starting to dwindle.... And yes, I will probably be paying for it soon, at a price higher than what I sold it for in the past. Such are the laws of economics.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ardaghion wrote: »

Yeah, which is why you see bots farming mudcrabs and not corn flower. Of course, the real bot money turned to jewelry and ore outcroppings once that became available. I don't see as many mudcrab or wolf hide bots as I used to, plenty of ore and seam bots these days.

I wondered why the wolf farming groups were there in Alinor. Still gets some action when I run by there.
    beadabow wrote: »
    I used to sell cornflower, opting for slotting skills and wearing gear that were suitable alternatives to achieve the buffs/regen, but when running vMA, I decided to go with the pots to free up the slots (no rhyme intended!). NOW, I am scrambling to do all of my alchemy surveys and farm every scrap of cornflower I see! I kick myself for selling it! Fortunately, I have not had to buy any yet, but my supply is starting to dwindle.... And yes, I will probably be paying for it soon, at a price higher than what I sold it for in the past. Such are the laws of economics.

I finally found some on EU, but it was 800 each and I will use up a writ or several if I really do run out. Almost pushes me to farm it if I could validate that it would sell consistently at even half that, though I would still face the problem of probably not finding it even if spending a lot of time acting like a bot running around a starting zone or someplace else to farm resource nodes.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • phwaap
    phwaap
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, but I don't get chitin every time. At least when I pick a corn flower I know it will be one, maybe two.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    phwaap wrote: »
    Yeah, but I don't get chitin every time. At least when I pick a corn flower I know it will be one, maybe two.

But you can almost always find crabs. Try intentionally finding Cornflower!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless some one took the cornflower and left the worms. Unfortunately see that from time to time, but it's better than it used to be.
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • EmEm_Oh
    EmEm_Oh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I currently changed my poisons and health pots so cornflower is only used for demanding PvP. I could pay out the nose, but like everyone has said, there are other options.
  • Betty_Booms
    Betty_Booms
    ✭✭✭
    I laugh at the merchants giving the poor newbies false information.....

Ask them how many cornflower they can farm in an hour of picking nodes.....the truth is they dont at all. Yet they are happy to give you that advice right?

There are people in this game sitting on upwards of 1000 surveys. Some of these same people simply search TTC all day for low priced items to flip....Corn flower went from 300g to between 450 and 600 gold in the matter of days on PCNA. I remember wondering why it went up so much...

And if you get told its demand then dont believe a word. Supply is controlled and you will always find stacks of 200 on the major trading guilds.

Some of the smaller guilds still sell it for cheaper but dont you worry because it gets swooped on pretty quick and this allows these guilds to virtually change the conventional price of items.

My advice...create the maximum amount of characters you can and get to work leveling their crafting. Do the daily writs on them every day and acquire surveys for yourself.

When you get a few of the same survey go to the area and see if there is at least 2 corn flower nodes. If there arent.. log out and log in until there are.. dont pick anything until this happens or the survey disappears. Repeat for each survey.

This will take alot of work but will yield alot more cornflower once setup. Rather then running around the country side hoping to come accross nodes.

Also grab the hirelings for each character....

• phwaap
    phwaap
    ✭✭✭
    When you get a few of the same survey go to the area and see if there is at least 2 corn flower nodes. If there arent.. log out and log in until there are.. dont pick anything until this happens or the survey disappears. Repeat for each survey.
    All you have to do is run to run far enough, cell or whatever, and it will reload with different plants.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All you have to do is run to run far enough, cell or whatever, and it will reload with different plants.

Are you certain nodes automatically respond like that? We are not talking surveys here.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you certain nodes automatically respond like that? We are not talking surveys here.

Regular nodes, no.

Survey nodes, yes.

The context of the above comments were about survey nodes.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Regular nodes, no.

Survey nodes, yes.

The context of the above comments were about survey nodes.

That is what I was thinking originally, but the context made me think otherwise. I would agree with you how it works with survey nodes though, but then you raise the problem of knowing exactly how far is far enough. I also often get lost coming back in cases like that. Clicking the survey should restore the node if it has been cleared instead of requiring that or logging out and back in.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know PC players can look at a little more detailed info about their location on a map (IE actual decimal coordinates, so I was wondering if it would be possible for some ambitious person to create a grid of each zone showing exactly where each “block” was located?

This would help immensely for knowing which direction to run to reset surveys, treasure maps, etc.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »
    I know PC players can look at a little more detailed info about their location on a map (IE actual decimal coordinates, so I was wondering if it would be possible for some ambitious person to create a grid of each zone showing exactly where each “block” was located?

This would help immensely for knowing which direction to run to reset surveys, treasure maps, etc.

Some of the online maps, as good as they are, don't zoom in quite enough and finding the exact spot can be tough, especially since I haven't seen a way to tell my coordinates on the PS4.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • LuckyLuke
    LuckyLuke
    ✭✭✭
    This is real game skooma. There should be more like it 🤩
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I laugh at the merchants giving the poor newbies false information.....

Ask them how many cornflower they can farm in an hour of picking nodes.....the truth is they dont at all. Yet they are happy to give you that advice right?

What a load of horseshit.

I farm nearly every day for 30 minutes to an hour and a half depending, find it relaxing and one of my few remaining pleasant parts of playing ESO, did 780k last week on the trader, 80% of it from mats I farmed myself. It's not hard, and am a medium grade farmer, there are many better in my guild. I do writs on -one- crafter, don't even do the alchemy, jewelry or provisioning writs. Everything I've posted in this thread is 100% true. Others do a writ assembly line, I could very easily do that with several characters with all crafting ambiently maxed from deconning, but it's not my preferred playstyle.

But to answer the question directly, I do approximately 30-50 cornflower per hour in addition to other mats that add up to a 75-100k per hour yield.

Some people prefer doing writs, some farm, some gripe and rationalize on the forum, some make unwarranted assumptions and post outright falsehoods like you.

• Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭
    I try not to get behind in my alchemy surveys but I currently have about 24 at the moment, even after gathering a few this weekend. I knew about the walking away and coming back bit but I have rarely bothered. Maybe I should reconsider, I only have about 350 corn flower. I have just under 1,000 of many of the more common alchemy survey node items. I wish they had surveys for mushrooms, I never seem to get enough of those.
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But you can almost always find crabs. Try intentionally finding Cornflower!

That's true but the right medicine or a clean shave clears that up.
  • BurningSnowman
    I've seen several mentions of folks struggling to reach alchemy level 3 or higher. Here is a guide that if followed, makes it much faster:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xNuS5YN781ar6oTxKyAgZdex1kw-q2JaxTiwNw4kZgY/edit#gid=1634576356

Notes:
    This guide is old so the prices are way out of date. It was also based on PC-EU prices.
    I did not write this guide, I cannot fix the spelling errors.
    Start with the Botanist achievement. When you are alchemy level 10, upgrade with skill point to next tier, continue. Move to the Toxicologist, when you reach alchemy level 20, upgrade to next tier with skill point, continue.
    After you have both achievements, continue with the guide on the left.
    Your biggest cost/p-I-t-a will be pitch bile - it's f'ing expensive and hard to find unless you farm it on a character that is actually CP 1-89 and/or has alchemy at tier 5/8. You pitch-bile from ogres, trolls, etc.

Because I have been playing this game a while I was fortunate to have all the required items. I also have eso+, have the CP for the inspiration boost and use only orcs for crafting alts. With all this and following this guide I can/have level a character in alchemy from 1 to 50 in 20 minutes, maybe faster now with the multi-craft changes. Based on your situation and resources, your mileage may/will vary. Good luck.
  • Thorvik_Tyrson
    Thorvik_Tyrson
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen several mentions of folks struggling to reach alchemy level 3 or higher. Here is a guide that if followed, makes it much faster:

The struggle if any for me in leveling up alchemy (or other crafting skills) was having the skill points to level up with, and not the alchemy part itself.

The guide seems to me to over complicate the issue. Maybe they changed Alchemy between when the guide was written, and today, but all that I needed was a ton of 2 mats and keep making the same potion/poison until your ready for the next tier Solvent.

When your trying to level 18 characters all at the same time from alchemy Tier1 to Tier3, the crafting time required was insignificant when compared to the time needed to get the required skill points on 18 characters.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Leveling Alchemy was trivial once I dedicated the skill points. It is only 2 steps and the first part is just making something to get to 20 I recall. Getting to whatever level 3 requires was then just a matter of making something else for the next few steps. No guide is really needed in this case, since making anything will level this.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alchemy will be even easier to level once multi-crafting is live on all platforms.

In fact, I've used solely alchemy master writs to level two characters from 3-50 since Elsweyr dropped. I purchased the two opposing alliance Cyrodiil skyshard packs with crowns and, combined with the 3 skill points you start with if you skip the tutorial, this is enough skill points to fully level the important passives of Alchemy (Solvent Proficiency, Chemistry and Laboratory Use).

Using one of the online guides to learn every trait will get you to around level 10 I think, and then I just pick two of my cheapest ingredients (fleshfly larva or spider egg and whatever cheap fungus that pairs with your choice to create a viable potion/poison). Obviously use the poison solvent because you can sell the poisons to an npc merchant when you're done and get x4 more gold for your effort.

If you have some alts you want to level up, using the alchemy master writs during a 100% bonus xp event + 150% scroll will make short work. Sadly I didn't think to keep track of how many master writs it took to level from 3-50, but I'm going to guess it was around 150-250 depending on your xp multipliers.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• BurningSnowman

The struggle if any for me in leveling up alchemy (or other crafting skills) was having the skill points to level up with, and not the alchemy part itself.

The guide seems to me to over complicate the issue. Maybe they changed Alchemy between when the guide was written, and today, but all that I needed was a ton of 2 mats and keep making the same potion/poison until your ready for the next tier Solvent.

When your trying to level 18 characters all at the same time from alchemy Tier1 to Tier3, the crafting time required was insignificant when compared to the time needed to get the required skill points on 18 characters.

Regarding skill points, your situation will vary depending on your resources. If you are alone, no guild, no friends and just starting out skill points are precious, precious commodities. If you are on an alt of an established character with a friend or guild member who can teleport you around to the public dungeons to carry you through the group events, you can amass skill points fast and early.

You can level alchemy quickly as you stated with stacks of just two mats and base liquids for each tier and that is what the post achievement leveling reflects in the guide I posted.
    Going that route from level 1 ignores the extra inspiration you get from discovering a trait on a reagent and unlocking all the traits on a single reagent. Having that extra inspiration helps push you through the first two tiers that much faster, so if you lack resources to go all the way to 50, at least you can get past the need for cornflower faster. It also sets you up for future success - having the Botanist and Toxicologist achievements unlocked increases your drop chance for Master Alchemy Writs.

Your comment about the time required to get skill points for 18 characters alts is very valid in that context. The number of skill points to get one character from alchemy tier 1 to tier 3 is two (which may be easy or hard to get) and that's all this post is about. Expansion of the number of alts and the time to get them tiered up is an individual concern based on your situation and resources.
    Edited by BurningSnowman on August 15, 2019 8:24PM
  • AndyMac
    AndyMac
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do vMA and PvP on my mDK. I can get away with trash pots but the spell power buffs are just too good to pass up for what I do. Farming nodes is boring so I have to find other ways to pay what farmers ask.

Farming vMA style pages has helped a lot for the time being.

It’s pretty much required to be at least good at trading in this game imo. You’ve got to have your pile of gold and more coming for exactly this sort of eventuality.

Hopefully we’ll see a decent stam meta era and that will knock spell pot mat prices down lol
    Edited by AndyMac on August 16, 2019 7:12AM
    Andymac - Magicka DK - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror