Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can someone give me a good reason not to roll a magicka character instead of a stamina one?

erio
erio
✭✭✭✭✭
From my point of view (500 cp scrub) the top end classes (ones that kick my butt the most often) right now are magicka. From bg and no cp perspective.
  • Better healing, can hold block and spam instant heals. 100x better than rally
  • Resto shield, can save you from anything
  • Stamplar is good, magplar is better
  • Stamblade is squishy but has good burst, magblade is not as squishy, infinite cloak, and good burst.
  • Pets body block and do massive damage
  • Shield spam
  • Can use your non primary resource for movement, meaning you dont have to worry nearly as much about sprinting using all your stam
Can someone give me a reason not to switch my stamplar to a magplar?
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well for one is I'd wait for the PTS updates before making a decision on what you want to be
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamplar better at kiting

Um...let's see stamplar has vigor which from what I understand is getting big buff.

Magplar is hard to get off back bar. Experienced players brave enough to stack spell damage instead of passive mitigation can get off back bar easier to deal big burst, but we swap to back bar heal blocking faster than mitigation magplar. Magplar is getting a big defense buff...so I dont know. I think stamplar has always been the weaker spec.

And the movement thing? Um...I'm not sprinting long on magplar before I'm out. On stamplar I get to dodge roll on bow bar to get major expedition then sprint for EVER. Helping string enemies out a tad. Playstyle difference really.
  • Royalthought
    Royalthought
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that eclipse change goes thru go mag.
    Edited by Royalthought on July 14, 2019 6:31PM
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say read the PTS patch notes and scroll down to combat thats a good enough reason to not roll a mag character.
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Roll" is the hint here.

Your assessment of Stam blade vs. Mag Blade needs a reassessment. Can't speak for the Templar stuff.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you want to have to slot multiple abilities to accomplish what vigor can do? You only get so many bar slots.
    Edited by Iskiab on July 14, 2019 7:47PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Roll" is the hint here.

Your assessment of Stam blade vs. Mag Blade needs a reassessment. Can't speak for the Templar stuff.

dont need to roll if you can perma stealth lmao
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well for one is I'd wait for the PTS updates before making a decision on what you want to be

Im trying to figure out what to level before it drops.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    erio wrote: »

Don’t level a character per patch, you’ll always be behind.

Go make one of every spec you’re interested in now and level it to 10. Then every day log in and level the riding speed, and level them up when you feel like it.

Doing the dailies on alts is a good way to level CPs too when they’re 50.

Point is, if you make a new toon every patch for the fotm you’ll never have it ready in time to play that patch, and the riding speed slow upgrading is annoying so start now.

Even if you don’t level a character for months and leave it at level 10, you’ll be happy you did when you start playing it with full mount speed.
    Edited by Iskiab on July 14, 2019 7:57PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Roll" is the hint here.

dont need to roll if you can perma stealth lmao

There is no potion (yet) that prevents you from dodge rolling. Give yourself a little major expedition and you can dodge roll yourself out of a lot of things. Cloak only works if you can wait out the mark or the 15.7 seconds. Yesterday, I got run down a bunch of times by a perma marker nb with his 0 cost mark following me around. I turned on one who was a potato. The other times it was an angry mob. If I could have dodge rolled and run like hell to a LOS obstacle I'd have made it. Roll with snare immunity and sprint beats cloak hands down.
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    negate. it can put an end to any mag class if its well placed
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because you want to play a stamplar? That's reason enough.

Sorry, I don't hold much with building for the FotM, because ZOS changes the game with every update. Besides, most of the time the build that you enjoy and are good at playing will perform better than some FotM build you are inexperienced with. In PVP even more than PVE, experience trumps meta.

So if you want to play a magplar and are going to put in the time and practice to get good on a magplar, you go for it!

Just don't expect swapping to magicka to fix all your issues without practice. From my own personal experience with swapping from stamplar to magplar in PVP, I can promise you that picking up the most overperforming magplar build of them all (pre-nerf Blazeplar) does not instantly equal win without the experience to play a magplar well.
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magicka is better for no cp. I also switched my stamplar to magplar and the only thing i miss is the better mobility.
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • Illuvatarr
    Illuvatarr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my point of view (500 cp scrub) the top end classes (ones that kick my butt the most often) right now are magicka. From bg and no cp perspective.
    • Stamblade is squishy but has good burst, magblade is not as squishy, infinite cloak, and good burst.
    • Shield spam
    • Can use your non primary resource for movement, meaning you dont have to worry nearly as much about sprinting using all your stam

1) Stam has better healing in every situation. Your first statement is false
    2) Resto shield and shields in general do not compare to roll dodge spam or the ability to break free continually
    3) Stamplar is actually better than magplar. This is a l2p issue.
    4) Stamblades are still an S class. Magblade is also S class if they are vamps and use pirate skeleton set.
    5) Pets are silly. They have nothing to do with the other class abilities and they are getting destroyed with nerfs this patch
    6) Shields do not compare to roll dodge or the ability to block more often. They are in two entirely different leagues.
    7) This is actually a negative for mag classes. Item sets and stam cost reduction for abilities help stam toons here infinitely more as well as the added stam regen from their sets.

Just gave you 7. Your earlier statements are either from ignorance, stupidity, trolling, or a healthy combination of all three.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give me one reason why anybody would roll a Magbuild instead of the Stamina counterpart (with the only exception being MagSorc).

With the current, past and ongoing Stam meta in PvP I find it hard to stay Magicka.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

Don’t level a character per patch, you’ll always be behind.

Go make one of every spec you’re interested in now and level it to 10. Then every day log in and level the riding speed, and level them up when you feel like it.

Doing the dailies on alts is a good way to level CPs too when they’re 50.

Point is, if you make a new toon every patch for the fotm you’ll never have it ready in time to play that patch, and the riding speed slow upgrading is annoying so start now.

Even if you don’t level a character for months and leave it at level 10, you’ll be happy you did when you start playing it with full mount speed.

What gives you the idea im leveling one per patch? im not doing that...
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    Give me one reason why anybody would roll a Magbuild instead of the Stamina counterpart (with the only exception being MagSorc).

With the current, past and ongoing Stam meta in PvP I find it hard to stay Magicka.

From my no cp perspective
    Magplar does everything a stamplar does literally just the same with mag morphs, and can block heal to full
    Magblade has perma stealth and resto for that op ass shield
    Idk about warden cause ive never played one
    necro doesnt count cause both suck
    havent played a dk but mag ones kill me more often
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Illuvatarr wrote: »
    • Shield spam

2) Resto shield and shields in general do not compare to roll dodge spam or the ability to break free continually
    4) Stamblades are still an S class. Magblade is also S class if they are vamps and use pirate skeleton set.
    5) Pets are silly. They have nothing to do with the other class abilities and they are getting destroyed with nerfs this patch
    6) Shields do not compare to roll dodge or the ability to block more often. They are in two entirely different leagues.
    7) This is actually a negative for mag classes. Item sets and stam cost reduction for abilities help stam toons here infinitely more as well as the added stam regen from their sets.

Just gave you 7. Your earlier statements are either from ignorance, stupidity, trolling, or a healthy combination of all three.

The only heal it has is vigor and rally they wont get you very far in no cp, they can be burned through unlike the instant heal and shields of mag chars
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Shield spam

Are you telling me purges and blocking forever isnt as good? lol
    What can learning to play do for me to stop mag toons from shield spamming and full healing in 1 second while blocking, while dodge rolling vigor does nothing in comparison
    Pets are for mag toons. Still a valid argument, I was unaware they were getting nerfed.
    When ever I see people doing the *** kite thing that this game needs to sack, its either some tanky stam guy with a healer buddy who cant do crap, or a single magsorc who can kite bolt escape shield spam and do damage
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because you want to play a stamplar? That's reason enough.

Sorry, I don't hold much with building for the FotM, because ZOS changes the game with every update. Besides, most of the time the build that you enjoy and are good at playing will perform better than some FotM build you are inexperienced with. In PVP even more than PVE, experience trumps meta.

So if you want to play a magplar and are going to put in the time and practice to get good on a magplar, you go for it!

Just don't expect swapping to magicka to fix all your issues without practice. From my own personal experience with swapping from stamplar to magplar in PVP, I can promise you that picking up the most overperforming magplar build of them all (pre-nerf Blazeplar) does not instantly equal win without the experience to play a magplar well.

its literally the same thing but with the mag morphs and a few differences
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You should switch yea. Playing multiple classes and switching between mag and stam is great for perspective.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In what alternate universe is magicka a better choice than stamina? Stamina is stronger in every way: more damage, cheaper costs, better ultimates. ZOS has been bending over backwards since 2015 to give stamina more and more advantages, and the buffing never stops! Just wait until the shields are nerfed even more with Update 23, and you won't even see any magicka builds anywhere.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    • Shield spam

This is coming from a pet sorc main that thinks sorcs are in a bad place right now. 😂
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • Trancestor
    Trancestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka is definitely better than stam for BG's, only biased players will say otherwise.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trancestor wrote: »
    Magicka is definitely better than stam for BG's, only biased players will say otherwise.

Says the Stamina player that celebrates the Stamina meta for well over a year now...
    Edited by Seraphayel on July 15, 2019 7:48AM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    if u like weapons go stamina
    if u like wooden sticks go magicka
  • Trancestor
    Trancestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Says the Stamina player that celebrates the Stamina meta for well over a year now...

I'm a magicka main for like over half a year now, who tf are u even
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well this wasn’t necessarily projected at you but for all the Stamina players that like to downplay how dominant Stamina builds have been for both PvE and PvP.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Trancestor
    Trancestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well this wasn’t necessarily projected at you but for all the Stamina players that like to downplay how dominant Stamina builds have been for both PvE and PvP.

Well i was talking only about BG's, in CP and Cyrodil it's a different story, in BG's it's just way more forgiving being Magicka, especially ranged.
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Shield spam

1. No they do not lol. Vigor offers no burst heal thats the issue if your in excute your dead. Burst heals get you out of execute. Its not better in every situation you statement is false sir.

Magplar > Stamplar healing
    Magden > Stamden
    Magblade > Stamplade
    MagDK > Stam DK
    Magcro > Stamcro

But they have a hard tim getting access to major evasion...

3. Roll Dodge spam is simply not sustainable and roll dodge does not dodge everything. I compare Roll dodge to Mist form ...
    4. LOL Stamplar is not better then a Magplar. A = skilled magplar should beat a stamplar.
    5. I will just ignore this lol
    6. Pets are awsome when defensively used. They are not silly but they are bugged
    7. I do think shields are currently at an disadvantage vs. roll dodge or the ability to block. But not in two entirely different leagues. I think blocking is currently broke because of glyphs.
    8. I dont agree with you here Magicka has access to the best return resource set in the game. Stam still does not have that set nor do I see them getting it. Stam cost reduction you can get the same with magicka the sets taht offer these set are generally not used by stam class all that much.

Stamina has issues also. There will be no Stamina Healers in Cyrodiil healing a group. There will be no Stamina Bombers like our magicka brothers. Magicka DK trumps Stam DKs on heals. I do think magicka class like the sorc are harder to play effectively then a stam DK for example.
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables