Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you use Stealth Detect in PVE

• gronoxvx
    gronoxvx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Why? Lol.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not even in the new dungeons?
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • A_Silverius
    A_Silverius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No I don’t use stealth dectect in PVE
    Reduced stealth radius is very useful for questing. Being able to sneak past all the mobs and straight to the quest objective speeds things up alot. Its also helpful for dark brotherhood/thieves guild content. Give back our Bosmer stealth please.
    Edited by A_Silverius on February 27, 2019 12:33AM
    All over Tamriel, theres a sudden spike in Bosmers getting caught for their crimes. A sad day indeed... #FightForYourRite Give Bosmers back our stealth!
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reduced stealth radius is was very useful for questing. Being able to sneak past all the mobs and straight to the quest objective speeds things up alot. Its also helpful for dark brotherhood/thieves guild content. Give back our Bosmer stealth please.

There, I fixed it for you.
    Edited by Uryel on February 27, 2019 12:47AM
  • A_Silverius
    A_Silverius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uryel wrote: »
    Reduced stealth radius is was very useful for questing. Being able to sneak past all the mobs and straight to the quest objective speeds things up alot. Its also helpful for dark brotherhood/thieves guild content. Give back our Bosmer stealth please.

There, I fixed it for you.

:/
    All over Tamriel, theres a sudden spike in Bosmers getting caught for their crimes. A sad day indeed... #FightForYourRite Give Bosmers back our stealth!
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the devs use stealth detect in pve?
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the way, if you use Magelight in these event quests you’d finish faster.
    :trollface:
    Edited by max_only on March 8, 2019 5:31AM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh.... I've just never been interested in sneaking past mobs.

Loved my stealth archer in Skyrim. Never went there in ESO. Different strokes for different games....
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    no its useless except maybe in PVP sometimes and even then you can just replace the skill with a pot if you are bothered. My bosmer thanks you, ZOS, for making his stealing harder and giving him useless crap " in the name of balance"
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    @ZOS_RichLambert
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler
    @ZOS_Gilliam

It’s not an exaggeration to say that detect stealth provides no pve benefit. Please take a look at this.
  • wedgebert
    wedgebert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no its useless except maybe in PVP sometimes and even then you can just replace the skill with a pot if you are bothered. My bosmer thanks you, ZOS, for making his stealing harder and giving him useless crap " in the name of balance"

I wasn't even for balance. The balance portion was taking off the 10% damage bonus and I think most people are okay with that (or least don't like it, but understand the reasoning).

Switching from improved stealth to improved stealth detection was just to make Bosmer and Khajiit "different". It was completely against the established lore of Bomser being incredibly stealthy who could "disappear into the shadow of a single leaf" while Khajiit were just good pickpockets and thieves on account of their agility.

Nor did it make sense from the standpoint of the racial rebalance, specifically the goal of not locking playstyles behind races. Taking two stealthy races and reducing it to one is the exact opposite of that.

It was a poorly thought out change given how miniscule a benefit it is and it was even more poorly communicated (i.e. nothing but silence in response to our concerns.
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe console players have some insights now?
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone found a stealth detect quest on the PTS?
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not. But we have to be careful as some quests are covered by a NDA.
  • wedgebert
    wedgebert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »
    Has anyone found a stealth detect quest on the PTS?

Going to go out on a limb and say that there are zero stealth detect quests on PTS, or even planned for that matter.

And on the off chance they ever do make one, everyone will just get some detection pots because 20m > 3m.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the new patch have anything in pve that requires detecting it in stealth?

Maybe healing is better when you can detect stealth wounds (yknow internal bleeding and such)
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I use stealth detect in PVE
    If there is a nightblade NPC, then yes, I will use aoe damage. In my case that is usually blockade or some other aoe damage skill that I have slotted. I don't use potions for stealth detect in PVE, too $$.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Let me know if you use this.

Be it a potion, or a skill.

That's a really silly poll. There would never be any reason to use stealth detection in pve.
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a really silly poll. There would never be any reason to use stealth detection in pve.

Indeed. Then why do we have a race that has a stealth detect passive ? That makes it the only race with a PvP only racial skill, right ? Also, the only one with one of their racial skill to have no use in PvE.
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Uryel wrote: »

Indeed. Then why do we have a race that has a stealth detect passive ? That makes it the only race with a PvP only racial skill, right ? Also, the only one with one of their racial skill to have no use in PvE.

Yeah the OP is making little sense.

It would be like putting out a poll of "do you use a trampoline while playing eso?"

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I'm imagining a PVE guild playing hide and go seek

I did not read the title correctly. I figure the only reason to ask about using stealth detect would be for PvP. My guess is most that answered yes fall into the same category.

I cannot think of any situation where an NPC is stealthed and this would be used. There probably is something but nothing that is a big deal. I have seen in another game a raid with stealthing NPCs and there was a stealth detect that came in handy. Zos has not been so creative.

My guess is there is an ulterior motive to creating this poll and thread.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are nightblade npcs, I find them mostly in delves, and they use stealth. It's not that big of a deal though, these are ordinary npcs with ordinary health pools. It's funny to me that when the npc nightblade is stealthed and it's winding up an attack white lines radiate from it's invisible body. So, sometimes I bash it if I don't have aoe slotted.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dojohoda wrote: »
    There are nightblade npcs, I find them mostly in delves, and they use stealth. It's not that big of a deal though, these are ordinary npcs with ordinary health pools. It's funny to me that when the npc nightblade is stealthed and it's winding up an attack white lines radiate from it's invisible body. So, sometimes I bash it if I don't have aoe slotted.

Actually the "stealth" ability they use isn't stealth, nor can it be detected by stealth detection.

• Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Actually the "stealth" ability they use isn't stealth, nor can it be detected by stealth detection.

If it's not stealth what is it? The npc is invisible and aoe damage reveals it.

Edited by Dojohoda on July 10, 2019 7:40PM
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PVE needs hidden stuff that can be revealed!

Like secret doors and chests!
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone smarter than I am explained it in the now defunct Bosmer thread. Basically there are two types of rendering oneself unseen - stealth (crouching) and invisibility like cloak or that ambush attack those NB NPCs use. The Bosmer Stealth Detection only reveals the crouching type stealth - and no NPC does that in PvE.

Besides, that ambush attack is not only clearly telegraphed - as you pointed out it radiates glowing lines while they wind up the attack.
    Edited by anadandy on July 10, 2019 7:56PM
  • Blinkin8r
    Blinkin8r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely. I have inner light slotted on my front bar all the time. Mainly to reveal sneaky bosmers trying to sneak around town.
    II Blinkin II
    Xbox 1 NA
    "A man without the sauce is lost, but the same man can become lost in the sauce."
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It would be classified as invisibility.

Technically it could be called stealth, but it has a way different detection formula result.

Basically it operates as stealth does, but it takes 30m off the final detection calculation.

Best "stealth" in game is 7 medium Khaj with 3 stealth detection reduction sets. It gets you to 2m frontal detection or so with -from side and behind. Invisibility is way better as it generally will get you to -detection all around.

It's:
    F20*65=13m-5-2-2-2=2m for max stealth character.
    invis is:
    F20*armor reduction=X-racial-set(s) then -30meters.
    even in 0 medium armor and no racials or sets it's invisible.
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    anadandy wrote: »

Someone smarter than I am explained it in the now defunct Bosmer thread. Basically there are two types of rendering oneself unseen - stealth (crouching) and invisibility like cloak or that ambush attack those NB NPCs use. The Bosmer Stealth Detection only reveals the crouching type stealth - and no NPC does that in PvE.

Besides, that ambush attack is not only clearly telegraphed - as you pointed out it radiates glowing lines while they wind up the attack.

Technically the bosmer ability would work versus invisibility. It's just that it's not nearly enough to reveal it. +3m versus -30m.
This discussion has been closed.