Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The cost of Cornflower

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'll price my cornflower at the going rate, whatever that is. I'm not leaving gold on the table to offer it at a substantially cheaper price. Presumably the price will drop at some point. I remember when Columbine was almost as expensive as cornflower, but I can hardly sell it now.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would like to know if they are tweaking amounts of these in the wild? No problem if not.

I don't agree with those who say people selling high are greedy. Things should sell for what the demand is.

I do wish I had a way to find out what a good price for stuff, including this, is however. That frustrates me to no end. I almost always have an Alinor vendor as well.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am probably going to ridiculed by some people for this, but can we please find a way to lower the cost of cornflower? The prices are becoming ridiculously high for it. I know the story of why it rose in the first place, but please stop raising the price. Zenimax, can you please add more cornflower spawn points to help lower the cost. Or can we all just agree not to raise it anymore.

Cheers,
    Shadow

Put some time in to farm it !
  • Brazen_Blade
    Brazen_Blade
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to know if they are tweaking amounts of these in the wild? No problem if not.

I have been playing since launch, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is some tweaking done to certain alchemy mat drop rates in the wild. I remember at different times Columbine was extremely hard to find, as well as Namira's Rot. Nowadays, I find those quite often.

But perhaps it all comes down to pure RNG. The other day I was casually wandering around in a zone and found 5 nodes with Cornflower in a row within the span of a few minutes.
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭
    Pevey wrote: »
    Ardaghion wrote: »
    I've put up spell pots quite a few times on a few different guild traders with no success, even with low prices. No takers, maybe I should try selling corn flower by itself.

Potions sell very well, but only in a few cities unless they are priced low enough for flippers. The cities where they sell well at normal price are, first, the capitals (because of the undaunted hubs). Second, Vivec and Alinor, because a lot of people home their toons there. Third, Rawl, because it is a shopping mecca. If you are trying to sell pots elsewhere, it will be tough.

Thanks for the heads-up, maybe I should consider selling the corn flower vs. the pots themselves. As it is I'm only affiliated with two small guilds with guild stores, neither is a dedicated trading guild, one is currently in Abah's Landing and the other in Stormhold. Or I could join a bigger trading guild but I trade so little, a guild that wants dues isn't a good fit for me.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would help if they made the drop chance for cornflower in the herb satchels you can buy from IC the same drop rate as some of the others. Right now it's a pretty low chance to get some from the satchels compared to BT or Columbine and some others.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    "Waste" your time collecting it or pay the price for not farming. Supply and demand.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • rsantijw13
    rsantijw13
    ✭✭✭
    Hollow City Cold Harbour. Can pull a stack of multiple plants in an hour
    Darkstride Fiords gear you can run for ever

• LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, sure, let's us 2 dozen or so people reading this thread agree not to raise the price any further. In the meantime, the other 3,689,247 people who own the game will carry on with what they've been doing.

I'm not making fun of you, OP. But people in this game won't change, especially when what they've been doing has benefited them. I have a few hundred cornflower. Not enough that I feel like I can sell a stack without making myself short. But I harvested them all myself as I've played the game. They are hard to find, and I honestly don't remember the last time I picked up a cornflower node. The bots haven't invaded Elsweyr yet so maybe I'll see some there, if I stop racing from dragon to dragon hoping for furniture plan drops.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Switch to a tank build.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Pevey wrote: »
    I've put up spell pots quite a few times on a few different guild traders with no success, even with low prices. No takers, maybe I should try selling corn flower by itself.

Potions sell very well, but only in a few cities unless they are priced low enough for flippers. The cities where they sell well at normal price are, first, the capitals (because of the undaunted hubs). Second, Vivec and Alinor, because a lot of people home their toons there. Third, Rawl, because it is a shopping mecca. If you are trying to sell pots elsewhere, it will be tough.

Thanks for the heads-up, maybe I should consider selling the corn flower vs. the pots themselves. As it is I'm only affiliated with two small guilds with guild stores, neither is a dedicated trading guild, one is currently in Abah's Landing and the other in Stormhold. Or I could join a bigger trading guild but I trade so little, a guild that wants dues isn't a good fit for me.

Abah's Landing doesn't seem like good location. First, why would anyone be in Abah's Landing? Second, aren't the guild traders in Abah's Landing nowhere near the wayshrine? That is one of those places where if I see it is the cheapest place for something, I might go to the second cheapest to avoid the extra horseriding. The only way someone goes there to buy is if it is something very rare, or you are selling many stacks of something they need for cheap. Events don't even include Abah's Landing as one of their zones. I don't think there are crafting surveys there either.

If you want to sell pots, you need to be where people already are. Or you need to sell hundreds of them at once a decent discount. Or you need to have guild members who want to buy them since they can see your listing from any bank.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kinda surprised this is still going on. Most groups that burn expensive potions seem to be running Sunspire all the time, and a lot of them have switched to primarily stamina DPS. Not sure why there’s still so much demand for the Spell Power potions.
  • sagitter
    sagitter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The prices of all reagents are increasing, week after week, since when they setted only 1 cp and 1 no cp imperial city campaigns.
    The cost of columbine for example, one of the most common from the Waxed Apothecary's Satchel, has increased by 40-60% on PC Eu server.
    Looking for reagents around the world like old times, is less efficient and really boring, compared to the telvar farm.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have a fair number of Corn Flowers on the NA server, where I started late last November. I only have a few on the EU server, where I started some characters several months later. That leads me to believe they reduced their spawn rate.

Two things may question this though - I have not done as many surveys on the EU side, just doing a focus run last night and taking far too long for just the ones in Craglorn, about 20 in total.

These can be a real pain. Nice to have of course, but that makes the hassle of getting them all the more annoying. I don't expect them to be sent in mail, but making it easier to get to them would make things a lot more pleasant.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Played back in 2017, left then, recently returned. Farming mats is far easier now than it used to be with all the added zones, many with 0 competition in farming mats, yet inexplicably the mat prices remain high. I get 30-50 cornflower an hour while farming every node in a large run that nets me 300k a week or so doing 5-7 hours a week without all that much time to play.

Other head-scratching high prices are mundane runes, decorative wax and beetle scuttle, all three ridiculously easy to farm in bulk.

Farm 30 minutes for the mats you need or pay those who are willing to do that. Simple choice. No sympathy whatsoever for OP's gripe.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You know that you don't actually have to buy corn flower, you can always farm it - then it is free!!!
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    buttaface wrote: »
    Played back in 2017, left then, recently returned. Farming mats is far easier now than it used to be with all the added zones, many with 0 competition in farming mats, yet inexplicably the mat prices remain high. I get 30-50 cornflower an hour while farming every node in a large run that nets me 300k a week or so doing 5-7 hours a week without all that much time to play.

Other head-scratching high prices are mundane runes, decorative wax and beetle scuttle, all three ridiculously easy to farm in bulk.

Farm 30 minutes for the mats you need or pay those who are willing to do that. Simple choice. No sympathy whatsoever for OP's gripe.

There are simply more players now than back in 2017, @buttaface.

A player's antiquated views on supply and demand can also be equally head-scratching ...
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    buttaface wrote: »

A player's antiquated views on supply and demand can also be equally head-scratching ...

he literally said he recently returned... farming now is easier.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What you probably meant in the above snide was that there is lots more gold than sink now than then.

Did you have anything to say about the actual claims I made? Or just the red herring snide?

• Haenk
    Haenk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Selling @ 500 now; will try 600 next :)
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    You know that you don't actually have to buy corn flower, you can always farm it - then it is free!!!

Only if you can find it in the wild!

The challenge is finding a good farming route, especially one not overrun with the bots ZOS seems to not care much about. (They could easily find those with little effort in the starting zones with a small bit of care. I do wonder how they do that on the PS4 though, but I have seen many of those. I also see large groups of characters actively killing regularly spawning mobs, such as in Auridon inside the area with infected bears and wolves. I am not sure what someone is trying to accomplish there, but they are regularly there in a group. I have seen those groups in other areas, such as Alikir Desert.)
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I disagree here about the daily writs sustaining the account. I had 10 characters doing the daily writs (Pre Elsweyr) At one point I was ignoring the Alchemy writ if it needed the 3 cornflower as the cost of one cornflower was more than the turn in gold. I did notice that last week I was up at 19 cornflower, so I started doing the writs that needed the cornflower. Then bad RNG hit and I had a run on the Cornflower writ turn ins. So I was down to 0 cornflower over the weekend. Somedays you run across cornflower in your farming... Some days you don't. I would probably have been better off putting the Cornflower on the market instead of doing the Alchemy writ.

Fun Fact only Tier 1 and 2 alchemy writs ask for 3 Corn Flower.

http://benevolentbowd.ca/games/esotu/esotu-alchemist-writs/

You’re the best Bowd!
  • blnchk
    blnchk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the changes to Entropy, demand might decline somewhat.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want it to cost less you should farm it yourself. Upset the current balance of supply and demand by increasing the supply.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    If you want it to cost less you should farm it yourself. Upset the current balance of supply and demand by increasing the supply.

That is only valid if you have a reasonably sure way to find it. Running around for hours may get you some or it may completely waste your time (if Cornflower is your only goal). Telling someone to just farm it is not quite valid.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easy fix. Don't buy it. Farm it. I've never bought it. It's supply and demand.
  • Thorvik_Tyrson
    Thorvik_Tyrson
    ✭✭✭
    Part of the problem with the supply is the broken trading system that ESO has. This greatly hampers the amount of supply available at a reasonable cost. Anything that isn't way overpriced is long gone before I get to the trader that TTC says is/was there.

My solution thanks to @BenevolentBowd was to level my crafting alts up to tier3 Alchemy. The mats required for Tier3 seem to be easy enough to get in bulk and much easier to sustain over the long term.
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part of the problem with the supply is the broken trading system that ESO has. This greatly hampers the amount of supply available at a reasonable cost. Anything that isn't way overpriced is long gone before I get to the trader that TTC says is/was there.

My solution thanks to @BenevolentBowd was to level my crafting alts up to tier3 Alchemy. The mats required for Tier3 seem to be easy enough to get in bulk and much easier to sustain over the long term.

You're welcome. :)
    Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The horrid guild trader system does make this more of a problem than it should be.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • midgetfromtheshire
    midgetfromtheshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »

That is only valid if you have a reasonably sure way to find it. Running around for hours may get you some or it may completely waste your time (if Cornflower is your only goal). Telling someone to just farm it is not quite valid.

Of course it's valid, just because the ROI is low doesn't make it invalid. If you need large quantities of cornflower then the alternative is paying the prices listed by sellers. If you can't afford the prices then sell more junk to afford it.

Or just slot inner light and use trash alliance pots for the same effect.
    Get rid of faction locks.