Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ZOS, what have you done with textures on furniture items?!

Carbonised
Carbonised
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I already made a post regarding the Elsweyr furniture items and their blurry, low-res look. But I was certain some other items had been downscaled and now look significantly more terrible than they used to. This idea was making me nuts, and I finally went and did some comparing of the pre-Elsweyr and post-Elsweyr appearance, and just look!

This is the Silver Kettle, Masterwork as it used to look - do notice the engravings on the side of the kettle:
Silver-Kettle-Masterworked.jpg

This is how the kettle looks right now in game:
B9FBI10.jpg

Look at the engravings, so blurry and notably worse looking than before.
And again, this is the kettle in game:
iYGBoCo.jpg

Significantly worse than before! And also nothe the Hlaalu Table, Formal Floral that the kettle is sitting on, notice how the floral patterns in the corners of the table look all pixelated and washed out, and then compare to this look of the same table, before Elsweyr:
Hlaalu-Table-Formal-Floral-2.jpg

Now you can clearly see the floral patterns, and no pixelations.

ZOS, you done fricked up this time. I don't know what you did, but you changed the appearance of several items so they now look significantly worse than before. This needs a fix!
  • BigBragg
    BigBragg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I saw this while wondering around yesterday. Was also disappointed, as I would love a nice elegant tea kettle.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_SarahHecker @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Pretty much a huge deal for the housing community. Would be nice to know that you aware of this, and plan on fixing it.
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a side not I kind of find the design of the spices in Elsweyr odd. They look alike a mound of drugs,and Saffron isn't even a powder it's threads.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a side not I kind of find the design of the spices in Elsweyr odd. They look alike a mound of drugs,and Saffron isn't even a powder it's threads.

Saffron also comes as a powder....I always have both in my spice cupboard, according to what I want to use it for. You do have to buy it from a reputable source though, as powdered saffron is easy to adulterate with other less expensive spices such as turmeric.

Also, having just checked the ESO spice displays, spices in markets and bazaars in the Middle East, North Africa and many other countries are on stalls in conical piles....and they look wonderful. ZOS haven't quite got it right, but at least they are not in bottles!

Edited by Aurie on June 23, 2019 8:28PM
  • YaYaPineapple
    YaYaPineapple
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a mound of drugs? Lmao only in Scarface land.

Correct about the saffron being little threads tho. Also a big pile like that would be like 100k in saffron with 100 bucks worth just blowing away any time there was a slight breeze.

Maybe saffron = coke? I'm picturing a khajiit saffron kingpin with their face half covered in saffron dust waving a Malestrom staff around and yelling "Say hello to my little friend!"
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is pretty upsetting, especially since the Elsweyr furniture is some of the most beautifully detailed yet. I really hope it gets fixed, along with many of the glitched furnishing patterns that don't show up after you've learned them.

It's truly a shame, because seeing these on the PTS blew me away and was part of what had me so excited for this expansion, but to see the resolution getting knocked down is so disappointing. I hope it's just a mistake!
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread isn't about saffron or how ESO made their spice piles appear, it's about a huge downscale in textures of Elsweyr furnishings, as well as several older furnishings such as some Vvardenfell items and Mastercrafter items, of which I have shown two examples here. This is a huge deal, and I sincerely hope this is a bug or an oversight, and not some nefarious scheme to stealth-nerf texture quality in order to save server processing power.
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurelle1 wrote: »

Saffron also comes as a powder....I always have both in my spice cupboard, according to what I want to use it for. You do have to buy it from a reputable source though, as powdered saffron is easy to adulterate with other less expensive spices such as turmeric.

Also, having just checked the ESO spice displays, spices in markets and bazaars in the Middle East, North Africa and many other countries are on stalls in conical piles....and they look wonderful. ZOS haven't quite got it right, but at least they are not in bottles!

Would you not agree that the saffron would look better in game as threads though
  • xMovingTarget
    xMovingTarget
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    that will be fixed next update. unlike the real bugs that effect actual gameplay
  • chess1ukb16_ESO
    chess1ukb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Carbonised. It is a bit suspicious this has happened around same time Server performance drops off a cliff so going to assume they are related as you fear.
    Ireniicus
    GM - Tamriel Traders Guild (TTG); Divine Deals; Allmart & The Alchemist Emporium
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    that will be fixed next update. unlike the real bugs that effect actual gameplay

Despite your derogatory comment about "real bugs", this is definitely a huge deal for the housing community, and like it or not, houses, furniture and crown store purchases is one of the major revenues for ZOS, so why you may not give a rat's rear end about this, that doesn't mean others do as well.
    In fact, I couldn't give a rat's arse about the trial and dungeon bugs, yet they seem to get fixed swiftly enough.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Carbonised. It is a bit suspicious this has happened around same time Server performance drops off a cliff so going to assume they are related as you fear.

Yeah I really hope this is an oversight or a glitch, but it does strike me as something they might have done without even mentioning it, in order to save server power, in which case it would be a huge F in the face of people who invested heavily in the housing scene.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurelle1 wrote: »

Would you not agree that the saffron would look better in game as threads though

Providing ZOS manged to get the texture right ;)

• Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are a lot, and I mean A LOT, of furniture that looks terribly bad (low res) currently.

Even some, as mentioned in this thread, were looking fine some time ago.

Alinor Column, Timeworn (to name one out of hundreds) looks blurry now.

Please fix all of them ZOS.

SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
  • xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hm looks like the textures have been downsized either by mistake or the meshes are bugging out.
    Ah, e-communities - the "pinnacle" of the internet............yeah, right.
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »

Yeah I really hope this is an oversight or a glitch, but it does strike me as something they might have done without even mentioning it, in order to save server power, in which case it would be a huge F in the face of people who invested heavily in the housing scene.

Considering this could be bad for sales.I see them fixing this.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    could this be in an effort to increase performance?
  • thermatico
    thermatico
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've notice these garbage textures on a lot of housing items in the past week. I thought it was just me. Weird.

• Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thermatico wrote: »
    I've notice these garbage textures on a lot of housing items in the past week. I thought it was just me. Weird.

Nope, it's not just you. And now that I am finally seeing proof that it's not just my eyes, but there really has been some serious downscaling, I'm seeing it everywhere now. Several of the Elsweyr pieces are really atrocious, and I also noticed several of the older paintings looking like garbage too. The Reaper's March one with the bridge and gazelles usually looked alright in game, but now it's a pixelated blurry mess.
    could this be in an effort to increase performance?

That's my fear as well, considering this started just around the time that people were complaining about server performance. Seems suspicious to say the least. Suffice to say, making pretty houses with pretty items is the only thing keeping me in this game right now, so if ZOS intends to stealth-nerf texture quality and pass on this garbage as furniture from now on, it's a sure fire way to make me completely retire from the game and not spend a single dime on furniture or houses from now on.
    Dragonnord wrote: »
    There are a lot, and I mean A LOT, of furniture that looks terribly bad (low res) currently.

Even some, as mentioned in this thread, were looking fine some time ago.

Alinor Column, Timeworn (to name one out of hundreds) looks blurry now.

Please fix all of them ZOS.

Agreed. ZOS needs to go through ALL of the textures and fix the ones that have been downsized. Quite frankly, the lack of concern of response to this is a bit disconcerting, you'd think a massive stealth downsize of hundreds and hundreds of housing items would have been more of a big issue for staff and players alike. But judging from the response here, it looks like several of us were aware that something had changed, but it took a while for us to notice exactly what, and that it wasn't just a personal issue due to specs, hardware, settings or whatever. Hopefully this post can serve as a confirmation to everyone out there that something definitely is going on here, for all of us.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_SarahHecker I think you can easily avoid a lot of backlash and angry reactions if you just come out of the bushes and at least clarify whether these sudden texture changes were intentional, or indeed a bug or glitch. Right now, you're not getting the benefit of the doubt, and people, including me, assume that this was done intentionally, as a response to the server performance issues.
  • Sporvan
    Sporvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely notice some textures including kettle are terrible with last patch. Kettle looks so underwhelming now :-((((
  • Mizael
    Mizael
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soooo any update on this? elsweyr furnishing are horrorible low res and some went into low res.Please fix this as soon as possible
  • Emathides
    Emathides
    ✭✭✭
    I've checked my Silver Kettles, and yep the body of them look terrible. 90k gold in mats for each kettle down the drain plus the writ cost of the plan if these don't get fixed.
    Edited by Emathides on June 24, 2019 9:01PM
  • Mix
    Mix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you guys play on max on all settings? I can't and I have wondered if they "moved" some of the higher res textures that I used to be able to see into a higher video setting category. I know from Elsweyr pts i saw screenshots of some of the furniture WITH the nice details but mine were blurry...
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mix wrote: »
    Do you guys play on max on all settings? I can't and I have wondered if they "moved" some of the higher res textures that I used to be able to see into a higher video setting category. I know from Elsweyr pts i saw screenshots of some of the furniture WITH the nice details but mine were blurry...

I play on a beast of a gamer PC that I just bought a few months ago. And yes, I play on maxed settings all around. This isn't a user end problem, since it's happening for several of us, just watch the replies above, and it happened at the same time as well, a change from pre-Elsweyr to post, and it represented a downscale and reduction of quality from what items used to look, to what they look now, with nothing being changed by the user.

I can really only see two possibilities here. The nefarious one is that ZOS downscaled a large amount of furniture quality, as a band-aid quick fix to the increasing server instability that we have seen over the last couple months, and simply hoped no one would notice or care.
    The less nefarious one is that perhaps they changed something in the computation or rendering of certain meshes or texture maps, and it somehow broke the quality on several items unintended, and no one simply noticed it much.

I must say that the lack of response from the devs or community managers on this issue does steer me more and more to the nefarious interpretation than the more "innocious" one. Especially since people complained about bad quality on Elsweyr items on the PTS, and the patch notes following that stated that these textures had allegedly been "fixed", which obviously wasn't the case at all.
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I went through my house earlier after seeing this thread, and noticed a fair amount of furnishings looked lower res than they used to. Seems a weird thing to suddenly change without any word on it, but not surprised with their atrocious communication.
  • theivorykitty
    theivorykitty
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, I've noticed this as well. What's worst is the contrast between items now - one might still look nice, with something on top of it that looks like it's from a game 15 years ago. They clearly did it to boost performance and it probably helped, but considering how much real life money people spend on these furnishings, it feels more than a bit unfair.
  • Comixfan
    Comixfan
    ✭✭✭
    It's happening on Xbox as well. Noticed yesterday that the textures on furnishings are a lot lower res than they used to be!
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I went through my house earlier after seeing this thread, and noticed a fair amount of furnishings looked lower res than they used to. Seems a weird thing to suddenly change without any word on it, but not surprised with their atrocious communication.

Seeing as this issue gets little to no attention from the devs/managers, I suggest that people find some pre and post images of items they believe have been downscaled lately, the site "ESO Fashion" is great for finding pre-nerf pictures to compare with, and post the comparison pictures in this thread like I did, to show the difference. I realise that the front page is filled with nothing but complaint posts, but this is a pretty big issue for many people, and it deserves a proper response from staff, instead of drowning in the back pages so ZOS can go back to pretending like nothing happened.
  • Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It isn't just furniture. The belt on the Wedding Suit costume is now a blurry low rez mess.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • Alexsae
    Alexsae
    ✭✭✭
    I've also noticed the downgrade in texture quality. For example, Alinor Column, Jagged Timeworn is a pixelated mess. ZOS, can we please have a response to this problem?

PIxelated1.JPG
    Edited by Alexsae on June 26, 2019 4:57AM