The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Dragonscale Crown crates are predatory.

• CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    luizhd wrote: »
    Hey, OP. There`s no need to shame people for things they have no control over like a psychological issue. Why not have some respect instead of stooping to that kind of level. That person is putting some effort into getting out there and being vulnerable.

Let`s all act like adults here.

I'm quite used to it.

I have that information in my signature for the benefit of fellow board users so that it is explained what is happening if I go off on one.

Fortunately, I'm not bothered by that rather unfortunate comment in the slightest.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Imperial_Voice
    Imperial_Voice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, OP. There`s no need to shame people for things they have no control over like a psychological issue. Why not have some respect instead of stooping to that kind of level. That person is putting some effort into getting out there and being vulnerable.

I'm quite used to it.

I have that information in my signature for the benefit of fellow board users so that it is explained what is happening if I go off on one.

Fortunately, I'm not bothered by that rather unfortunate comment in the slightest.

Good that you handle that sort of thing so well. I think some people just resort to mean spirited comments and personal attacks because they have no logical argument to make.
  • luizhd
    luizhd
    ✭✭✭

I'm quite used to it.

Good that you handle that sort of thing so well. I think some people just resort to mean spirited comments and personal attacks because they have no logical argument to make.

Sounds like the internet alright. To be fair tho, people are rarely ever objective and logical even if they say or feel like they are. But yeah, it`s a lot easier for some people to just attack you instead of trying to make some arguments.
  • Girl_Number8
    Girl_Number8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ohtimbar wrote: »
    It's all predatory.

Predator is predatory too.... :*

Sorry you didn't get what you wanted OP.

@IzzyStardust Yussss!! I so wanted the 🌈 to be an emote for PvP. I wish Zos would change it.
  • haelene
    haelene
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand how the argument "Zos is a business, they need to make money" is valid for this particular argument. Of course they are, and of course they do, nobody is denying that. It's okay for Zos to try and make money.

The crux of the problem is the way they are making money. Lootcrates are designed in such a way that you end up paying way more than is reasonable for the things you want, if you even actually get what you wanted in the first place.

Basically cash shops themselves aren't predatory, trying to makes money in and of itself isn't, but lootboxes are without a shadow of a doubt. If they sold things directly there would be less of an issue.

Having said that it's an unfortunate truth that lootboxes are here to stay as long as they continue to be profitable and unregulated.
  • Reistr_the_Unbroken
    Reistr_the_Unbroken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got one of the black pets- an ugly guar tho. I want to exchange it for gems so bad

Edit: from the new crates
    Edited by Reistr_the_Unbroken on April 4, 2019 5:57PM
  • IzzyStardust
    IzzyStardust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ohtimbar wrote: »
    It's all predatory.

Predator is predatory too.... :*

Sorry you didn't get what you wanted OP.

@IzzyStardust Yussss!! I so wanted the 🌈 to be an emote for PvP. I wish Zos would change it.

Same! *imma heal yo azz with rainbows!* lol and also nice alternative to kissthis xD
  • IzzyStardust
    IzzyStardust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the rainbow 🌈 memento - but dammit zos, Why was this not an emote!?!! I would have loved that in PVP!

I love the hand puppet, too - your char even goes ‘mehmehmeh’ to it! Also it IS an emote - which is fabulous!

I got the apex wolf mount which appears very smoothly, and rides nice tbh not a fan of wolves but rather like this one!

I also got the pretty (non apex/radiant) senche, the azura body and face markings, and the bronze eye shadow among other things; which are all very nice!

I got a few banners which I cashed in for gems.

I bought the 5500 and the 3000 crown packs and spent them all + the 300 I had left on crates - I believe the total was 25.

I'm willing to bet they didn't allow the rainbow memento as an emote because of the salt it'd create in PvP. I'd have loved it too. ;_;

Nerf rainbows!
  • ZOS_RogerJ
    ZOS_RogerJ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just a friendly reminder to keep the thread, civil, constructive and on-topic. It’s okay and very normal to disagree with others, and even to debate, but provoking conflict, baiting, inciting, mocking, etc. is never acceptable in the official The Elder Scrolls Online community.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Stewart1874
    Stewart1874
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These crown crates are actually *** shite. :lol: I don't know who okayed them but jesus, absolutely awful. No costumes and pishy motif skins for 200 crown crate points - pathetic. If you're going to try and rob me at least make me interested in what you're flogging!

I've barely played this game in months - have accumulated over 8k crowns in unspent crowns. Log in most weekends to have a quick look before boredom sets in and I leave again.

PS4 - Europe - Aldmeri Dominion
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Of course it`s predatory lol. The whole psychology behind Lootboxes is to filter casual spenders from wales, enticing the former to give in to their addictive nature and low self control. The only reason it`s not considered "gambling" by the law in most counties (yet) is because technically you always get a "prize" and that`s done 100% on purpose in order to avoid breaking the law. I mean, come on... not only you can get duplicates in these crates, but the first 3 tiers of prizes are complete garbage everyone turns into gems to see if they can eventually buy something useful. Look at the sheer amount of garbage you need to get past in order to get the lowest ranking mounts

50, FIFTY prizes!!!!

So far I`ve opened around 11 boxes. 10 free twitch drop crates and the one you get when you reach a certain level. Every single free would only give me white or green tier prizes while the one I got by leveling up gave me a blue one. That means I was only able to get up to tier 3 out of 7.

2 days ago I saw a thread done by a guy who spent 150 bucks opening crates in order to get the top apex mount and still couldn`t get it. Know what`s even worse? Even if he turned every useless junk he got instead into gems he STILL wouldn`t be able to get the mount he wanted.

Naive is the person who thinks that isn`t the case. The worst kind however are the Enablers, which you can see quite often in the forum. Even in this exact thread. They`ll quickly try to rationalize why Lootboxes are alright by comparing real life costs with in-game premium purchases or say you need to pay for service A to use Service B in real life, so doing the same in a game is no different. Most of them have already spent dozens, hundreds or even thousands of dollars in games and accepting they are enablers and actively working against themselves and the rest of the player base would be too much for them to do so. Instead of that they`ll keep trying to justify it.

It`s a lost battle, dude. Honestly most forum users in here are long-time players who will pay for anything bethesda throws at them. You wont get a lot of support in here.

Umm...I'm a long-time player and I DON'T buy crates. ETA: And I DON'T buy everything (or even half the things) offered in the CS. Labeling all long-time players as whales doesn't help your argument.

Edited to remove image.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on April 8, 2019 9:40PM
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    Of course it`s predatory lol. The whole psychology behind Lootboxes is to filter casual spenders from wales, enticing the former to give in to their addictive nature and low self control. The only reason it`s not considered "gambling" by the law in most counties (yet) is because technically you always get a "prize" and that`s done 100% on purpose in order to avoid breaking the law. I mean, come on... not only you can get duplicates in these crates, but the first 3 tiers of prizes are complete garbage everyone turns into gems to see if they can eventually buy something useful. Look at the sheer amount of garbage you need to get past in order to get the lowest ranking mounts

50, FIFTY prizes!!!!

So far I`ve opened around 11 boxes. 10 free twitch drop crates and the one you get when you reach a certain level. Every single free would only give me white or green tier prizes while the one I got by leveling up gave me a blue one. That means I was only able to get up to tier 3 out of 7.

2 days ago I saw a thread done by a guy who spent 150 bucks opening crates in order to get the top apex mount and still couldn`t get it. Know what`s even worse? Even if he turned every useless junk he got instead into gems he STILL wouldn`t be able to get the mount he wanted.

Naive is the person who thinks that isn`t the case. The worst kind however are the Enablers, which you can see quite often in the forum. Even in this exact thread. They`ll quickly try to rationalize why Lootboxes are alright by comparing real life costs with in-game premium purchases or say you need to pay for service A to use Service B in real life, so doing the same in a game is no different. Most of them have already spent dozens, hundreds or even thousands of dollars in games and accepting they are enablers and actively working against themselves and the rest of the player base would be too much for them to do so. Instead of that they`ll keep trying to justify it.

It`s a lost battle, dude. Honestly most forum users in here are long-time players who will pay for anything bethesda throws at them. You wont get a lot of support in here.

Umm...I'm a long-time player and I DON'T buy crates. ETA: And I DON'T buy everything (or even half the things) offered in the CS. Labeling all long-time players as whales doesn't help your argument.

Edited to remove image.

Oh, don't act all hurt. The point still stands, and remember that the word "most" isn't a synonym of "everyone". Maybe saying the most users are whales is the overstatement but that wasn't the main point of that post, don't you agree?
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • bigw925_ESO
    bigw925_ESO
    ✭✭
    reading quantact and Luizhd's arguments I have to say that I side with Luizhd on this one. its funny because early on he called out quantact as being both naive and an enabler without even knowing it. Quantact actually told him that he was the naive one who had spent $150 on loot crates. That only justifies Luizhd's argument even more. quantact spent $150 on loot crates and then justifies it by saying that ZOS needs the money.

ZOS charges a premium price ($60) for each expansion and then they add the option of the collectors edition on top of that for $70. They used to have the Physical collectors edition for over $100 (I bought 3 of them) Then they have ESO plus which a lot of people use. I know I personally pay for ESO+ for the crafting bag alone. They then have all of the items in the crown store for sale. A lot of which also aren't cheap.

So according to quantacts argument if they got rid of loot crates this game would fail. and ZOS would go belly up.
    @asmodeos NA PC
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Scam crates are a shame and shoul be eliminated. I'm all in for crown store, but ganbling for a chance to get something is disgusting, to say the least.
  • Unit117
    Unit117
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly eso and everyone should be disgusted by this practice.,it should not be considered acceptable
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unit117 wrote: »
    Honestly eso and everyone should be disgusted by this practice.,it should not be considered acceptable

I wish they did them like Overwatch boxes. I haven't played that game in months, but they did loot boxes right. They revamped them early on so you wouldn't draw a ton of duplicates and there were no trash items in them to speak of. Crates in this game should be like that. Then you could always feel like you were getting your money's worth.
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    Unit117 wrote: »

I wish they did them like Overwatch boxes. I haven't played that game in months, but they did loot boxes right. They revamped them early on so you wouldn't draw a ton of duplicates and there were no trash items in them to speak of. Crates in this game should be like that. Then you could always feel like you were getting your money's worth.

Also you can get Overwatch lootboxes for free by playing the game. And I don't count Twitch drops here as they contain mostly trash. It was fine in ESO when you got some from daily rewards or from ESO+ subscription, now this all dried up.
    Edited by Michae on May 28, 2019 8:15AM
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • FischyJones
    FischyJones
    ✭✭✭
    The crates are illegal in most parts of europe.
    Hey ZOS, how do you like a nice lawsuit?
  • Living_Ded
    Living_Ded
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm.. I feel like I've seen this post before....
    @LivingDed
    necro healer, warden healer, templar healer, stam/magblade
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    At the end of the day, it's a personal choice to purchase the evil crates or not...
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly most forum users in here are long-time players who will pay for anything bethesda throws at them.

Wrong assumption. Way wrong.

"Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP