Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Are vSS chest farm runs illegal?

almightyalfo
almightyalfo
✭✭✭
Hello!

Just to make sure I don't lose my account eventually because of this. The thing that's been bothering me is, I've done a number of those loot runs, without knowing it may be punishable. You can reach the chests location without fighting the bosses. I took a look at the Terms of Service and Code of Conduct and I didn't find anything relating to this issue. That's why I'm asking here (not sure if this is the right place to do so).
If it's prohibited, then I'll destroy the stuff I got as soon as possible. I wouldn't want to lose everything I've put into this.

Best regards.
Edited by almightyalfo on May 29, 2019 1:00AM
PC-EU
Daggerfall Covenant only

My Characters [All CP 810+]:
Aeriel Nightvale (Bosmer StamDK) - "Stormproof" - Crafter
Ranzaiq Longclaw (Khajiit StamPlar) - "The Merciless" - Stamina DD (PVE/PVP)
Freiya Winterborn (Nord StamDen) - "Paragon" - Stamina DD (PVP)
Rayna the Desecrator (Dunmer StamNecro) - "Sunspire Saint" - Stamina DD (PVE)
Heals-Many-Scars (Argonian MagPlar) - "Sunspire Saint" - Healer (PVE)
Burgdul gro-Burek (Orc StamDK) - "Thane of Falkreath" - Tank (PVE)
Erisa gro-Burek (Orc StamSorc) - "Orderly" - Stamina DD (PVP)
Auguste Valeine (Breton MagPlar) - "Stormproof" - Magicka DD (PVE)
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would it be?

The loot in the chests in vSS is junk because it's all non-perfected gear, and ZOS has stated that this was intended. I expect that the chests being accessible without killing a boss is why they are limited to non-perfected gear.

In all of the vSS gear runs that I've been in, nobody bothers with the chests. We run past the trash and just kill the bosses, since killing them is the only source of perfected gear.

That said, I think it's pretty stupid that the chests are accessible without killing a boss and that the chests are limited to non-perfected gear as a result. If they had been placed in the hallway before Nahvintaas, then they'd be locked behind the killing of both side bosses, and then placing perfected gear in them would be justified.
    Edited by code65536 on May 29, 2019 5:29AM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • almightyalfo
    almightyalfo
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, having non-perfected gear is a good start towards grinding the perfected ones. That's the main reason why I did those runs in the first place. In any case, thank you for answering my question, have a wonderful day!
    PC-EU
    Daggerfall Covenant only

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO... only punishable if you have to do something extraordinary, with the intent of going against the intended game play and dungeon design. Something that exploits a flaw in the dungeon or the behavior of a boss to arrive at a clearly unintended situattion.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If its unintended, yes.

Thing is, it's possible to loot chests without fighting bosses in certain dungeons, like COA 1 with its open floor plan, so there's precedent for it to be okay.

In any case, its a simple fix if ZOS doesn't like it.
  • m2rc
    m2rc
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry about it. Like Varanis said in CoA I people run the dungeon only to loot chests. You're not really exploiting any game mechanics as you still have to play through the dungeon, same with SS.
  • Zalathorm
    Zalathorm
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see lots of back and forth in zone chat about this. It would be nice to get an answer
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would assume as long as you aren't benefitting monetarily it would be fine in my opinion.
    PvP needs more love.
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad the chests dont drop perfected gear, then any fool can get drops without having to kill a single dragon

If they remove chests before killing first boss, I'm more than happy to let them drop perfected stuff
  • almightyalfo
    almightyalfo
    ✭✭✭
    This has been fixed on this new patch, so the thread should be closed.
    PC-EU
    Daggerfall Covenant only

• Gladium
    Gladium
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine is currently serving time in jail for farming vSS chests, so yes, very illegal. Beware.
  • OrphanHelgen
    OrphanHelgen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I joined a chest run a few days after the release of the chapter. I thought chest run ment to take your time after killing mob packs to loot chests and heavy sacks.
    When I saw what this "chest run" actually was, I was embarrassed to be in the group.
    Illegal or not I don't care, it's stupid af XD
    PC, EU server, Ebonheart Pact

Finally a reason not to play League of Legends
  • weedgenius
    weedgenius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gladium wrote: »
    A friend of mine is currently serving time in jail for farming vSS chests, so yes, very illegal. Beware.

@Gladium Underrated comment
    PS4 NA
    Better Homes & Gardens
  • Druid40
    Druid40
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unless ZOS makes a statement about banning, you are generally safe.
    Edited by Druid40 on June 16, 2019 6:05AM