The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Necro Blastbones Bug

HealsBadMan
HealsBadMan
Soul Shriven
I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but when using blastbones and its morph I'm getting maybe 6k max damage from it even though the tooltip for it starts at 8.3k damage. I'm using the morph of blastbones and stand as far back as I can to cast and it's hitting 6k tops. Anyone with this issue or am I just confused about this ?
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    in PvE or PvP?
    Unfortunate magicka warden main.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
    Retired to baby bgs forever. Leave me alone.
  • HealsBadMan
    HealsBadMan
    Soul Shriven
    in PvE or PvP?

PvE
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    in PvE or PvP?

PvE

I'm not able to get on to find out what's wrong with it atm, but it was bugged for 3 out of 4 cycles on the PTS, so it wouldn't surprise me if it made it to live bugged.
    Unfortunate magicka warden main.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
    Retired to baby bgs forever. Leave me alone.
  • Gnozo
    Gnozo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will always hit lower. Your target has some resistences that will reduce your damage.
  • Nazzraeda
    Nazzraeda
    ✭✭
    It clearly is hitting lower than intended. Every ability is hitting higher than it, even light attacks. Something is bugged with blastbones.
  • highkingnm
    highkingnm
    ✭✭✭✭
    I noticed this too. On PTS it was a solid damage source, live it hits like a wet noodle. Thought they’d just nerfed it hard until I checked the tooltip.
  • BlackMadara
    BlackMadara
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you factored in resistances? What is your pen?
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gnozo wrote: »
    It will always hit lower. Your target has some resistences that will reduce your damage.

It hits for half the dmg of flame skull currently while having almost double the tooltip. It´s definetly bugged.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Azramel
    Azramel
    ✭✭✭
    Im seeing the same bug. The damage on my blast bones is inconsistent. First it hits for around 1k, then 2k, then 3k, then 5-6k, then it resets back to 1k. Meanwhile, my flame skull is hitting for over 10k. These are all non-crit btw.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
  • J18696
    J18696
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nearly all the class skills had a bug attached to them during all pts weeks so not surprised
    PC NA Server
    @J18696
    Characters
    Pridē - Dragonknight
    Vanıty - Arcanist
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, it's definitely bugged. The tooltip is obviously a fair bit higher than the one for Flame Skull, but it actually hits for substantially less damage.
  • LordTareq
    LordTareq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well obviously they didn't have time to fix the bugs discovered on the test server, after all they must have spend most of their man-hours on the many iterations of Incapacitating Strike and other NB abilities...
  • Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is clear that there wasn’t enough penetration.

Outside Group Dungeons & Trials: enemies have at least 9100 resistances. (9125 counting selective resistances)

Within Group Dungeons and trials: enemies (bosses too) have about 18200 resistances. (18500 when taking selective resistances into the equation.)

Relatively, while actual damage may be stated in tooltips, unless you have some form of penetration (through certain passive skills, Armor sets, Cp’s and Debuffs) you may not be able to deal the full damage in that abilities tooltip. This is especially important when doing Group Dungeons and trials.
    I know what you di-Iddly did... (you would be wise not to do that again during a time when Suspicion in the gaming space is at an all time high.)
    by not actually revealing real drop tables in the game for all items, you only prove what has been proven with proof of concept that you can/will manipulate item drop chances based on certain elements performed by the player.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alpha-Lupi wrote: »

Outside Group Dungeons & Trials: enemies have at least 9100 resistances. (9125 counting selective resistances)

Within Group Dungeons and trials: enemies (bosses too) have about 18200 resistances. (18500 when taking selective resistances into the equation.)

Relatively, while actual damage may be stated in tooltips, unless you have some form of penetration (through certain passive skills, Armor sets, Cp’s and Debuffs) you may not be able to deal the full damage in that abilities tooltip. This is especially important when doing Group Dungeons and trials.

Can you explain how then that my venom skull (tooltip 9543) reaches noncrit dmg figure of 10,757 damage (on skeever) and blastbones hits for 6.3k damage (non crit) with a 9239 tooltip?

They are hitting the same mobs, meaning same resistances. Both my blastbones and the skull are stamina morphed. Why is one more than 100% of its tooltip in damage while the other deals 2/3 its damage, if it is not bugged?

@Alpha-Lupi

Better yet, can anyone confirm if ZOS has seen this?
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alpha-Lupi wrote: »

None of that explains why the Blastbones is dealing less damage than Ricochet Skull vs the exact same enemies, despite having higher tooltip damage.
  • Mr_Nobody
    Mr_Nobody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its live, you think they are going to care? lul

Most templars rerolled and are eating the same **** :smiley:
    ~ @Niekas ~

• John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Might it happen, then, that it's the skill that is bugged instead? Because, provided that the testing is accurate (no special buffs only applied in combat but not while reading the tooltip), and all other bonuses (CP and all) are already factored into the tooltip, then skull shouldn't non-critically hit a target with resistances for higher damage than its tooltip value.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Reporting the same. Extremely inconsistent dmg with Blastbones but consistently lower than Flame Skull while having higher tooltip. Something is definitely bugged with the skill.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Might it happen, then, that it's the skill that is bugged instead? Because, provided that the testing is accurate (no special buffs only applied in combat but not while reading the tooltip), and all other bonuses (CP and all) are already factored into the tooltip, then skull shouldn't non-critically hit a target with resistances for higher damage than its tooltip value.

Whether Flame Skull itself is bugged or not, Blastbones is regularly criting skeevers (minimal armor) for less than half it’s tooltip.

There’s no logical explanation for that.
    EU | PC | AD
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps you can go target overland skeever mobs like I did? There's some on kenarthi's roost. Use any skill, take its tooltip, and see what it does to them with non critical strikes.

I'd do it myself but I am at work, and I'm already 99% sure it is blastbones that is bugged.
    Edited by DocFrost72 on May 21, 2019 2:02PM
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I haven't started tracking actual damage yet, but I cannot even tell when it does damage. The skull takes a visible chunk of health off targets. Many times Blastbones doesn't even hit the target and when it does it does about half the damage of the Skull. Base, unmorphed skill on both.
  • Apoxsee
    Apoxsee
    ✭✭✭
    It is bugged! Hitting the same mobs with light attacks, flame skull and blast bones. All attacks minus the blast bones are doing dmg correctly given crit, pent and resistance of the targeted mob. Blast bones seems to be doing 50% ish less dmg than tooltip. Something is broken with it.
  • Astraous
    Astraous
    ✭✭

While an argument can be made that the skull and scythe shouldn’t be hitting as much as they are (though I’m 99% sure they aren’t bugged and it’s just passive boosts), blastbones is 100% undeniably broken. This skill takes 2.5 seconds to wind up and does less than a single light attacks worth of damage. This is clearly unintended, regardless of other skills and their damage.
  • cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Any news on a possible hotfix for this issue. The skill is bugged on live for a lot of people.
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Besides the obviously bugged damage, I'm also seeing that my Blighted Blastbones (and the unmorphed version) are not reporting damage numbers via the in-game UI.

Blighted Blastbones has lower damage than Venom Skull despite a higher tooltip:
    QyqKdIC.png

Blight Blastbones is not reporting damage done via the in-game damage reporting UI:
    https://youtu.be/uHs4x3P24Xk

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Gilliam
  • cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidPony wrote: »
    Besides the obviously bugged damage, I'm also seeing that my Blighted Blastbones (and the unmorphed version) are not reporting damage numbers via the in-game UI.

QyqKdIC.png

Blight Blastbones is not reporting damage done via the in-game damage reporting UI:

Do you have pet damage enabled. It does show in the base game UI if you have pet damage enabled. As in the numbers that float over right?

But yes blastbones damage is broken bad please fix! @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_BrianWheeler
  • Ahlteffour
    Ahlteffour
    ✭✭✭

QyqKdIC.png

The damage for blastbones seems to report just fine for me. Might need to enable pet damage. However, the damage I can also confirm is much less than it should be.

Also to add a side note. If you summon a blastbones and your enemy dies before it explodes, the thing just stands there. If you attack something else, it should also figure out "hey, i should run over there".
    "Anyone can identify a problem. It takes hard work, dedication, patience and understanding to be a positive part of the solution"
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahlteffour wrote: »

QyqKdIC.png

The damage for blastbones seems to report just fine for me. Might need to enable pet damage. However, the damage I can also confirm is much less than it should be.

Also to add a side note. If you summon a blastbones and your enemy dies before it explodes, the thing just stands there. If you attack something else, it should also figure out "hey, i should run over there".

This is just anecdotal because I haven’t bothered to set up UI for my Necro yet, but in my experience too for both pve and PvP blastbones does underwhelming damage compared to the skull. Stam morphs for both.

Re: targeting, though, mine seem to be tracking new targets if the original one dies. I’ll try to pay more attention when I play tonight, but I certainly thought I saw the little guy run elsewhere/Elsweyr if I finished off its target before it could (but was still in combat with something else). Could just be something with the buggy pet AI where it’s inconsistent, though.
    Edited by jypcy on May 21, 2019 6:20PM
  • Ahlteffour
    Ahlteffour
    ✭✭✭
    This is just anecdotal because I haven’t bothered to set up UI for my Necro yet, but I’m my experience too for both pve and PvP blastbones does underwhelming damage compared to the skull. Stam morphs for both.

Re: targeting, though, mine seem to be tracking new targets if the original one dies. I’ll try to pay more attention when I play tonight, but I certainly thought I saw the little guy run elsewhere/Elsweyr if I finished off its target before it could (but was still in combat with something else). Could just be something with the buggy pet AI where it’s inconsistent, though.[/quote]

Its good to hear blastbones re-targets for someone else. I couldn't get any consistency out of it but I only got a few hours in. Hoping that changes.

When I played PTS, the mag morph for blastbones hit like a truck. The damage I am seeing significantly less. As it stands right now this skill is hardly worth casting unless you are using it for the quick corpse generation.
    "Anyone can identify a problem. It takes hard work, dedication, patience and understanding to be a positive part of the solution"
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering how I heard about how hard this hit to see it hit for practically nothing for a delayed ability