The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Stamina Templar Tank - have I wasted my time?

Sand_Traven
I've been playing for a while, occasionally lurked forums but never posted. My first ever character, an Orc Stamina Templar Tank, generally does alright in delves but I've been a little concerned when looking for builds/advice that people seem pretty down on Templars as tanks. Am I right in thinking this is due to their stamina "sustain?" What does this mean?

My real fear here is that I've been wasting my time on a character that can never run with the best of them, or even really compete. That's an awful thought. I've been playing for roughly two years, and despite having made other characters I've poured a lot into this guy and don't want to have to delete him just to change class. I've generally done alright with him but had a dreadful time in a random-group delve (I forget the name - werewolves, last boss was called Vykosa)and it got me looking again at how to improve. But now I read that I possibly can't improve, and that without knowing any better I picked the worst possible combination for a tank. Can anyone give any advice/hope?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's way too early to think about end game content, @Sand_Traven. As it appears you haven't yet found the upper limit of what your Templar Tank can actually do,

And, there's really no point in deleting a character (with three more character slots coming in Elsweyr). Especially if it's a favorite of yours.

My advice is to keep going on your character progression path ... since you have a lot of content to get through before even considering being part of any end game raid.

Once you're part of a progressive Trials guild, you'll have to decide on whether to level another tank class or not. It really only takes a day to get a new character to level 50.

But, again, that's a ways off. Enjoy the ride for now. Up next, vet and vet DLC dungeons ... where a skilled Templar Tank can shine.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on May 18, 2019 11:38PM
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sand_Traven

Lets talk honest here, most grp´s will just take u when u r either a Warden or a Dk for Trials.

However, coming from a NB Tank, this shouldnt discourage u following your path.
    If u enjoy the class, then go for it and prove yourself. Templar Tank has some nice stuff that u could use even in Trials.

There are groups wich rly dont care what class the tank is as long as he gets the job done.
    I will still stick to my Nb, since i like the char, use him for all types of content, and my grp is ok with it.

For Dungeons it doenst rly matter wich *** class u r for tanking. Everyone of them can complete the content.
    if u rly want to go for leaderboards and scorepushing u have to be a metaslave and go for dk :smile:

Dk is hands down the best tank, there´s no discussion about that. He also has a easy time tanking given the kit he posses.

It´s a decision that, in the end, u have to make for yourself. On youtube there are not so much Templar Tanking Videos, Guides.

If u have any questions i can try to help. Good Luck mate
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, a random group isn’t always a good indicator of how you’re doing. Moon Hunter Keep, which is what you’re talking about, is one of the harder dungeons. Templar’s aren’t BiS for endgame raids but they can still be played, though I think they’re more magicka/hybrid based than pure stamina from what I understand. Best thing you can do rn is probably join a decent guild with members that regularly run dungeons on normal and vet and do open normal trials runs and vet training runs. The guild finder tool coming with Monday’s patch should help with that.
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am a full hybrid tank, the ice staff is just really useful for Templar tanks otherwise without large strong snares... I don't have the passive, ancient knowledge so I am not draining mag to block which leaves me free to use higher mana cost spells.

I am really liking it for Vet HM dungeons but I only play normal trials (where it is fine).

What makes your job hard is people just running ahead and expecting you to save them, so you actually do better in harder stuff because DPS aren't as dumb.
  • Vajrak
    Vajrak
    ✭✭✭
    Short Version - Yes.

Long Version - Maybe.

Templar Tanking is actually hugely reliant on mag-cost skills. By making a Stamina Tankplar, you've limited yourself in the sense that your self-sustain is going to be virtually non-existent. Once the healer goes down, outside of ults (Shield Wall, Practiced Incantation, Replenishing Barrier) you are screwed. You are giving up your self and group heals, your shield, your damage amplification+hot, your gap closer, and your ranged pull/initial aggro, along with your minor protection as you won't have a reasonable aedric skill to use to maintain the buff.

What you are gaining is the ability to block more often and utilize guild skills to replace class skills. I have a Tankplar, it has huge magicka recovery, a 20k mag pool vs a 15k stam pool --- and even with blocking, taunting, and using silver leash when necessary, it does not run out of stamina because of how easy it is to slip in a heavy attack while Blazing Shield is up.

Now what you are gaining...
    Extra debuff --- since Purifying light will have both low damage and low heal with a stamina build, Power of the Light is going to be your go-to, to bring back Damage Amplification and Minor Fracture/Breach.

Easy self-cleanse --- since the scaling on ritual of retribution is off of primary stat, you can still utilize this; the heal won't be as high value, but it will still be a reasonable tool in your kit.

Synergy Shield --- the Undaunted Spiked Bone is now your friend in terms of a shield.

Easier Trash sustain --- not that this matters much for either build, but having Repentance slotted up and using it as adds fall will help to keep you running, as long as the party is.

More debuffery! --- backbar an infused bow and endless hail + crusher to further emphasize what you are about; weakening your opponent as much as possible.

Proc-on-Block --- Battalion Defender set may now be a good one for you to look into, a 2k heal on self/ally when you block an attack (melee or ranged).

It's a trade-off of bringing a little more debuff (that you could do as easily with magicka honestly, or not worry about the minor breach/fracture) for losing a lot of self-sustain, or orienting towards a near perma-block build. If that style of play appeals to you of just dragging things close and holding block, and you are enjoying it, then no you didn't waste your time. If it doesn't, then you still didn't waste your time, you just need to change your gear and mindset accordingly.

Don't worry on the racial passives if you are focusing on class skills for the tank, you have a lot of leeway to be an efficient and effective tank.

With some practice and modification, you'll still be able to do all content in the game, just not at the absolute limit of efficiency. Enjoy being one of the 99%.
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes @Sand_Traven .

With the removal of Empowering Sweeps Major Protection, Stamplar tank has no future in the game. Stamplar tank has been absolutely gutted over the past few years losing the following.

Minor Vitality
    Major Mending
    Reasonable uptime on Minor Protection
    Pets/Summons no longer Repentable.
    Half of the actual mechanics being unpurgeable (but wings/magma away!!!!!).
    15% melee block mitigation
    Uncategorized defensive buff (Old Empowering Sweep)
    Major Protection (Live Empowering Sweep)
    Vigor cost increase
    Purify cost increase

We've gained a few things:
    Stam Regen whilst blocking which really just took the place of old Engine Guardian -> Repent combo.
    A more reliable rune and about 2700 armor when sitting in it.
    POTL gaining Minor Frac/Breach.

Whilst it's not as dead as the NB Sap Tank (which really crutched on a single single), it is the most widely nerfed without any serious warrant. Keep in mind that Stamplar tank was never good and never in a position where it was desired.

@ZOS_Gilliam
    Edited by usmcjdking on May 19, 2019 6:47PM
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've recently geared up a pure(almost) stamina only Templar Tank, and I love it. It works amazing in Dungeons and while I have yet to take it into Trials I see little issues for it in most of them. though self healing in situations where you got few or no healers could be difficult.

I will say this though, its never a waste to make a character like that. Sure its not meta and for real hardcore progression and score running you either will not be where you want to be or people will simply refuse to take you on that character. If you want to run with the best of them to be up there then running meta or being so in tuned with the game that you can improve on the meta, anything else will simply fall short for obvious reasons.

As well having multiple characters in ESO as well as in most MMOs helps a lot for the continued growth of your account. Everything from events to grinding gear is easier the more characters you have. So again, your effort is never wasted. I think the stamina only templar tank is a ton of fun, just not super competitive.
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've recently geared up a pure(almost) stamina only Templar Tank, and I love it. It works amazing in Dungeons and while I have yet to take it into Trials I see little issues for it in most of them. though self healing in situations where you got few or no healers could be difficult.

I will say this though, its never a waste to make a character like that. Sure its not meta and for real hardcore progression and score running you either will not be where you want to be or people will simply refuse to take you on that character. If you want to run with the best of them to be up there then running meta or being so in tuned with the game that you can improve on the meta, anything else will simply fall short for obvious reasons.

As well having multiple characters in ESO as well as in most MMOs helps a lot for the continued growth of your account. Everything from events to grinding gear is easier the more characters you have. So again, your effort is never wasted. I think the stamina only templar tank is a ton of fun, just not super competitive.

Stamplar tank used to be in a position where it got the most out of the least; i.e. you really only needed a few core skills to reach optimal tanking efficiency which left you with an incredibly wide variety towards build selection. I've tried every variation of tank and the only observation that favors Stamplar is doing damage. Nothing comes remotely close to matching the offensive prowess of Stamplar when it comes to tanking. You can literally only have Rune + Vigor + Emp sweep as your entire tanking toolkit and do any 4 man sans VBRP. Everything else was icing on the cake.

Unfortunately, I don't see how Stamplar Tanking will survive come Elseweyr. The removal of Major Protection from emp sweep outright blocks you from certain content. The class will be unable to operate without the use of a dedicated defensive set whereas it could run a hybrid offensive set pre-Elseweyr.

If emp sweep doesn't get changed, then Stamplar tanking should still be doable.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    usmcjdking wrote: »

Stamplar tank used to be in a position where it got the most out of the least; i.e. you really only needed a few core skills to reach optimal tanking efficiency which left you with an incredibly wide variety towards build selection. I've tried every variation of tank and the only observation that favors Stamplar is doing damage. Nothing comes remotely close to matching the offensive prowess of Stamplar when it comes to tanking. You can literally only have Rune + Vigor + Emp sweep as your entire tanking toolkit and do any 4 man sans VBRP. Everything else was icing on the cake.

Unfortunately, I don't see how Stamplar Tanking will survive come Elseweyr. The removal of Major Protection from emp sweep outright blocks you from certain content. The class will be unable to operate without the use of a dedicated defensive set whereas it could run a hybrid offensive set pre-Elseweyr.

If emp sweep doesn't get changed, then Stamplar tanking should still be doable.

I mean I have yet to actually use that ultimate on my Stamina Templar soo.... I don't see why it would be needed... Got enough mitigation as is for 4 man. Sure their class ability toolkit ain't all that, but their sustain in trash fights and while blocking makes them great for S&B/Bow tanking. In 4 man vet dungeons they can easily run a bunch of support sets and still use a bunch of CC and support abilities. Silver Leash, Bombard, Power of the Light, Heroic Slash, Pierce Armor, Endless Hail(for enchantments). Again, they might not be great for Trials but they are easy to run in 4 man and have almost all the buffs and debuffs for damage that you could want with the right sets.
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Depends how you play. If you are good at it, they'll still prefer you tanking on a Templar than someone who is a terrible DK. Of course this has a limit, any group that wants to optimise their group will ask you to play DK/Warden (or NB next patch) and those groups happen to be only a small percentage of the community.
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MHK (the dungeon you talk about) is certainly not the limit of what a Templar tank can do. But yeah, as a Templar, and especially the stamina variety, you will be more dependent on your healer. But due to higher resistances from the rune you have more flexibility when it comes to gear and/or race choices. You don't have to be a nord or wear Lord Warden to get to resist cap, so you can use things that help you with resources, buffs or damage.

I find that it's really easy to make a tank/dps hybrid with a templar that is actually better suited for random groups than DKs, or wardens, or nightblades. My templar is mag though, so it might not apply to stam.
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Templar tank is OK , but a true healer is required .

Other tanks don't really need it , they can run 1T3D in DLC HM without problem .
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reasons why Templars were poopooed was because lack of certain abilities, such as chains, but with silver leash etc I see no reason for a Stam temp tank to not be fine
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Sand_Traven
    Sword+shield first bar/bow second is, funnily enough, a combination I'd wondered about trying - mainly for the lols but I might give it a more serious look, now.

Where should I be dumping points? Health or stamina? Or indeed magicka? Currently I've been doing something like 10 stamina and the rest health.

It's never been my intention to make it onto any leaderboards. My other main is an Altmer MagDK and a Bosmer Stamina Warden so the story is, AFAIK, the same with them albeit they're a bit more playable at first glance. I'd become really down on my Orc Stamplar but tried another dungeon where I seemed to get everything right, and now with all this advice I'm feeling a lot more positive about trying something interesting with it.

I hadn't expected such detailed responses; thank you all. Now to digest all this info!
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sword+shield first bar/bow second is, funnily enough, a combination I'd wondered about trying - mainly for the lols but I might give it a more serious look, now.

Where should I be dumping points? Health or stamina? Or indeed magicka? Currently I've been doing something like 10 stamina and the rest health.

It's never been my intention to make it onto any leaderboards. My other main is an Altmer MagDK and a Bosmer Stamina Warden so the story is, AFAIK, the same with them albeit they're a bit more playable at first glance. I'd become really down on my Orc Stamplar but tried another dungeon where I seemed to get everything right, and now with all this advice I'm feeling a lot more positive about trying something interesting with it.

I hadn't expected such detailed responses; thank you all. Now to digest all this info!

Do not try to use bow if you're struggling with survival or resources, bow doesn't give you anything to help with mitigation or resource management, it only really helps increasing enchant uptime with hail, since it ticks every 0.5s instead of 1s as is the case with blockade. Go for 1hs/ice staff, because both weapons reduce block cost and increase block effectiveness. Just make sure to read the destro staff passives before you take them, because unless you go for a mag build, you may not want to use magicka for blocking.

As for what stat to stack, it entirely depends on your build. I found that for me going with high magicka and making up for lack of health with gear works best (54 mag, 10 health), because I get my healing up to a usable level and can still survive big hits. Other templar tanks I know usually go with health stacking, because that makes sun shield stronger. But I'm sure there are also those that go with stamina and do well, but I can't really comment on it, never tried a full stamina build since my templar is an altmer, and mag has been working well for me.
  • duddjoyri
    duddjoyri
    I knew nothing about the game when I started, but always wanted a paladin style character. That led me to a Mag/Stamplar (whatever the trendy name is for it...) that I have a blast with. I haven't tried any trials so it may weaken there, but to be honest that isn't the kind of content I'm here for. Anyway, what I'm saying is run with whatever you want to play and don't get sucked into all the meta unless that is the kind of thing you enjoy...…. My wife plays a DPS character which more than makes up for my lack of any ability to actually kill something. I seem to be able to soak up the hits though :)

My character is a variant on the paladin build (more mag than they suggest) over at Alcast if you wanted to get an idea of where to start.
  • msalvia
    msalvia
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also started with/"mained" an orc stamplar tank! But once I got to about 300cp--and tried other classes for tanking--I converted my orc stamplar into a dps, and now it's one of my best dps toons. Maybe do something like that? Orc is really strong for stam dps.

In my tank experience, templar tanks are meh, but the best ones tend to be more mag oriented for better heals.
  • Sand_Traven
    More good advice, thank you. I'd actually ruled out turning this Orc into a DD as I hadn't thought Stamplars were much good at that, either, but I'm interested in the idea of that working. Would an Orc stamplar DD be viable, then?
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Stamplar DD is still one of the sturdier DDs out there, albeit it's damage is less than stellar.
  • russelmmendoza
    russelmmendoza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

Sorry.
  • Sand_Traven
    I'm becoming more interested in the idea of an Orc Templar DD the more I look into it. Another thread featured a number of people saying that Orcs were intended towards a style of very versatile stamina play, making either for a hard-hitting tank or a sturdy DD, which someone has already mentioned here.

If I were to make this Orc a DD, then, where should I start? Which attributes am I putting points into? And what's the recommended armour; medium or heavy? Any good sets?

Thanks to all for input so far; any further help is massively appreciated.