The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Rending Flames braziers color blind problem

Auldjohn
Auldjohn
✭✭✭✭
RE: Question Reference # 190517-006144 Problem with Rending Flames Quest braziers.

I submitted this Help Ticket because despite the braziers being apparently activated, the chest for the candle was open but empty, despite the fact I had successfully retrieved the skull seemingly using the same procedure. My attempts to resolve this included using /reloadui to no avail, as well as logging completely out of the game then logging again over several days. The candle chest remained open but empty. I had sent an earlier Help Ticket to which there was no response.

While waiting for a reply to the 006114 Ticket, I research the Quest online and was amazed to find each brazier needed to be set to a specific color for each chest. Apparently, I was just lucky with the chest for the skull.

Because of color blindness I couldn't easily discern color differences between the braziers. To me they just looked "properly" activated. I've played ESO since early Beta, so realize solving puzzles with limited hand-holding is important to the game. Nevertheless, adding a Tool Tip about brazier color or sequence would help. An alternative is increase the color saturation or color contrast to more clearly show color changes for the braziers (and other color-coded puzzles).

Another suggestion for the Developers: Consider adding a Color Blind Mode option to Graphics Settings. particularly for the most common Deuteronopia and Protanopia conditions. I just activated Windows 10 Settings > Color Filters > Color Blind Filters which may help me.

Question[/]: How do I reset the Rending Flames braziers to turn them off? Or, how do I reset the chest with the candle to closed? Reset each brazier chest to the correct color? Least preferable option: Abandon the Quest then start it again from the beginning?

Any suggestions sincerely appreciated!
@AuldjohnThe Elder Sages' GuildMaster Sage & Co-Founderfacebook.com/groups/theeldersagesguild
"Old gamers never die; they just respawn and game on!" • Our Slogan: Have Fun!!

Moot Envoy • Tamriel Foundry Adept • Steam ID Auldjohn
YouTube auldjohnmastersage • Twitch AuldjohnPCGamer• Steam Group TESGs
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Auldjohn

Unfortunately, if your character cannot continue because, for example, you cannot extinguish the blaze of a brazier, then the only recourse is to abandon the quest and receive again from the quest-giver. Personally, I would re-log the character after abandoning the quest, just to be sure that the change to the game-state is recorded by the megaserver. However, since one of the items that should be in a chest is missing, abandoning the quest and re-starting it again might not resolve that issue.

FWIW, I am color-blind (deuteronopia). Ordinarily, I perceive the color green as either red, orange, yellow, or sometimes as brown or gray. From your description of the Rending Flames quest, I have probably completed it at least once with one of my characters, if not also one other character, too. IIRC, the colors of the brazier flames were faint and it was difficult to distinguish between two of them, which appeared yellow. There are at least two other quests which involve solving puzzles in which distinguishing colors correctly is at least desirable, whether necessary, to solve them successfully.

It has been helpful for me to use the addon Custom Quality Colors, which enables a player to customize the colors used to distinguish the quality of an item according to whether its quality is Normal, Fine, Superior, Epic, or Legendary. Before it was introduced, I used Quality Colorblind, which adds a small capital letter to one corner of an item icon to signify its quality. Unfortunately, there is no addon which, to my knowledge, can alter the colors of doors, of floor tiles, or of the lights emitted by braziers, crystals, etc., which a player's character might encounter during the course of a quest.

My own OP the subject (just search the main forum page with the string "color blind" -- no quotation marks -- to find several others): Fifteen percent of the human male population is color blind

Good luck!!

--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Auldjohn
    Auldjohn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I added the Color Quality AddOn and also activated Windows Settings Color Color Blind Duetonopia Mode.

While neither of these changes were a perfect solution the combination of changes increased the brightness of the brazier beams which helped. Using multiple activation of the brazier we're close enough to get the correct combination.

I didn't have to abandon the Quest. To my amazement and satisfaction the open empty chest for the candle closed. When I opened the chest I retrieved the candle and continued the Quest to completion. The remainder of the Quest were challenging but dramatic, especially the closing sequence animation which made the difficult process worthwhile and rewarding!

Another good suggestion from ESO Help Support is to submit an in-game Feedback report and another /bug report requesting adding a Color Blind Mode.

Thanks for your reply and helpful comment about the Color Quality AddOn.

May the Blessings of the Nine be with you!
    @AuldjohnThe Elder Sages' GuildMaster Sage & Co-Founderfacebook.com/groups/theeldersagesguild
    "Old gamers never die; they just respawn and game on!" • Our Slogan: Have Fun!!

Moot Envoy • Tamriel Foundry Adept • Steam ID Auldjohn
    YouTube auldjohnmastersage • Twitch AuldjohnPCGamer• Steam Group TESGs