Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Justice System

darthgummibear_ESO
darthgummibear_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
It feels a bit weak. I like that it exists, and the added gameplay element for people who want to operate on the wrong side of the law. Having said that, I wish there was more to it than basically functioning as a gold sink.
  • Matthew_Galvanus
    Matthew_Galvanus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i mean, that is how its always functioned.

1. commit a crime
    2. get caught
    3. pay a fine
    4. go back to committing more crimes.

not just in eso but in the older tes games as well.
    Edited by Matthew_Galvanus on May 15, 2019 11:28PM
  • Reaper_00
    Reaper_00
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they could do something similar to ArcheAge and have a jury trial with other players as jury members.
  • darthgummibear_ESO
    darthgummibear_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. commit a crime
    2. get caught
    3. pay a fine

In other TES games you not only had the Jail system, but the ability to assassinate guards, and getting killed by a guard would make you reload a previous save. Now for obvious reasons those things would be problematic in a persistent MMO environment, but there needs to be something beyond what we already have.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS originally intended to add bounty hunters...and then wisely decided that was a terrible idea with lots of potential for griefing.

If I were going to overhaul the Justice System in ESO, I'd just update it to the Thieves Guild standard where most guards get a stealth supression radius, and update obvious Vampire and Werewolf skills to match the treatment of Necromancers.
  • JadeCoin
    JadeCoin
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not a gold sink if you don't get caught.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    we need to have a prison we are sent to and ability to break out of prison and escape into the sewers and fight to escape.
  • Matthew_Galvanus
    Matthew_Galvanus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. commit a crime
    2. get caught
    3. pay a fine

In other TES games you not only had the Jail system, but the ability to assassinate guards, and getting killed by a guard would make you reload a previous save. Now for obvious reasons those things would be problematic in a persistent MMO environment, but there needs to be something beyond what we already have.

i dunno what they could add besides throwing you in jail.
  • bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reaper_00 wrote: »
    Maybe they could do something similar to ArcheAge and have a jury trial with other players as jury members.

4txEfNe.gif
  • russelmmendoza
    russelmmendoza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every vamp, werewolfs and necromancer should be attack in every human city. Everyone using costumes polymorphs of the likes gets attacked in human city, no arrest attempt just kill on sight.

Criminals and murderers should be arrested and killed if they are refusing to surrender.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It feels a bit weak. I like that it exists, and the added gameplay element for people who want to operate on the wrong side of the law. Having said that, I wish there was more to it than basically functioning as a gold sink.

Hahahah.

There is definitely. more to it than being a gold sink. You just haven't reached the elite status of having a perma-bounty on one of your characters that you can never hope to pay off.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JadeCoin wrote: »

^This.^

It's like clockwork about once every three weeks.

A player posts in the forums about how "watered down" the Justice System is after they get caught thieving ...
  • yRaven
    yRaven
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would find nice to have a way to hide you bounty from guards so you don't have to pay it, but if you have a high reward another player could hunt you for the Fighter Guild, that would be a fine addiction to the Duel system

But of course not every player could take you down, only the ones that we're select to have your bounty, and they would have to find you by zone, they wouldn't see you on Map, but they would now what Map you're and if you're close a red arrow appears on your head and for you a yellow arrow would appears on his head, so be prepared to fight, that you be a hell of RP, but it's just dreaming
    Edited by yRaven on May 16, 2019 1:58AM
    Jack of all trades. Master of at least one.
    -
    Àrës - Magicka Dragonknight (EP)
    Persephónē - Magicka Warden (EP)
    Athēna - Magicka Templar (EP)
    Hādēs - Magicka Necromancer (EP)
    Hërmës - Runner Troll (EP)
  • Wandering_Immigrant
    Wandering_Immigrant
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like running from the guards it's a fun little diversion from the norm, and having to sneaking around town because you have a bounty is like a lil mini game. It does feel pretty watered down though since nothing really happens when you get caught, even if they kill you you just revive and go back about your business.

A jail would be cool, having to escape through some tunnel or sewer system where there's things like spiders and bandits who can attack along the way. Nothing too big, or it would just get annoying... or maybe it is big, maybe it's really big. They could make a vast interconnecting tunnel and sewer system that spans all of Tamriel, so you get busted in Stonefalls and you can take the tunnels down to Deshaan or Shadowfen where you're not wanted because those crimes happened in Stonefalls. But that would require an entirely re-worked justice system where your bounties are tied to the region in which your crimes were committed, so I'll just stop fantasizing about my vast tunnel system now.

I'd be down with a player enforced bounty system if done right. No markers or anything so obvious as that telling you who has a bounty. There could be a list posted either in the fighter's guild or maybe the market area of towns showing everyone who currently has a bounty and the amount, and when you "interact" with someone who was on the list the last time you opened it, the request duel option changes to collect bounty and shows the amount owed. Selecting that automatically initiates a dual. That way you can't just gank someone from a distance you have to get in close, which would give the person some warning, if you know you have a bounty and someone approaches and just stands there you can prolly assume you're about to get attacked. They could make it even more interesting by making it so if you try and collect a bounty on someone and they win the fight, then their bounty transfers to you.

Also, it would be better (imo) if bounties didn't deteriorate while you were logged out. I hear about people who play with perma bounty, my NB is all about that life, but he can never live it, because I have 9 other characters taking up my time so by the time I get back to him his bounty is always gone.

• Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been a while since one of these popped up, I'll get my popcorn ready.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In the original deign there was. Zos had planned to have a PvP element to it. Since this game heavily leans towards PvE that was removed and doubtful Zos will even consider giving it another thought.
    Reaper_00 wrote: »

Besides Archage being very much a second tier game, and I think I am being kind with that, it is also a PvP based game iirc and that jury system revolved around that aspect of the game.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like running from the guards it's a fun little diversion from the norm, and having to sneaking around town because you have a bounty is like a lil mini game. It does feel pretty watered down though since nothing really happens when you get caught, even if they kill you you just revive and go back about your business.

A jail would be cool, having to escape through some tunnel or sewer system where there's things like spiders and bandits who can attack along the way. Nothing too big, or it would just get annoying... or maybe it is big, maybe it's really big. They could make a vast interconnecting tunnel and sewer system that spans all of Tamriel, so you get busted in Stonefalls and you can take the tunnels down to Deshaan or Shadowfen where you're not wanted because those crimes happened in Stonefalls. But that would require an entirely re-worked justice system where your bounties are tied to the region in which your crimes were committed, so I'll just stop fantasizing about my vast tunnel system now.

I'd be down with a player enforced bounty system if done right. No markers or anything so obvious as that telling you who has a bounty. There could be a list posted either in the fighter's guild or maybe the market area of towns showing everyone who currently has a bounty and the amount, and when you "interact" with someone who was on the list the last time you opened it, the request duel option changes to collect bounty and shows the amount owed. Selecting that automatically initiates a dual. That way you can't just gank someone from a distance you have to get in close, which would give the person some warning, if you know you have a bounty and someone approaches and just stands there you can prolly assume you're about to get attacked. They could make it even more interesting by making it so if you try and collect a bounty on someone and they win the fight, then their bounty transfers to you.

Also, it would be better (imo) if bounties didn't deteriorate while you were logged out. I hear about people who play with perma bounty, my NB is all about that life, but he can never live it, because I have 9 other characters taking up my time so by the time I get back to him his bounty is always gone.

I'm going to say what I say every single time one of these threads pops up and someone makes a suggestion like this.

A justice system involving PVP would not be a justice system at all, because you would be enabling those "enacting justice" with a means to steal from actual, real players in the name of "bounty hunting" in order to counter "crimes" that affect no one and nothing because thieves and assassins only affect NPC's in the world. The actual criminals would be the people enforcing 'justice" through the justice system because they'd be taking from people because they enjoy getting their bounties out of their pockets. This is actual theft. You are taking something from another person. Again, thieves and assassins do not actually affect other players at all.

It would involve so much griefing and nonsense that just isn't needed in this game.

Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • Heromofo
    Heromofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could do a few things i guess but it's in a pretty good spot now.

1. Give guards the ability to surpress stealth or atleast be more alert when stealthing nearby. But i would say we would also need a way to fight the guards as well. Making them god like really blows. Would rather a well trained elite units that i can kill to escape.
    2. Make the system not give bounties if the witnesses are silenced. If no one can report the crime did it really happen?..... also bugs me In ESO.
    3. Allow the use of persuade and intimidation against guards with a cool down to have them look the other way ( while not removing your bounty). Both requiring the use of bribing a small amount of gold to do and a 30 min cd ea?.
    4. Werewolf and Vampire to have the Necromancer treatment.
    5. Add a prison system to avoid paying the bounty. Sleep in the bed could come with a exp reduction limited time buff ( reverse exp scroll?, time based on bounty amount ) or you can try to escape.
    6. Increase the limit per day ( even if a eso plus perk) of amount of items one can sell per day. Its such a fun side thing to do it sucks if you run out of the ability to sell for the day and still have a bag full.
    7. More cool things to steal or get from killing legendary treasure chances?, pieces that you combine and sell to special buyers once you collect all bits?. Could have 3 - 5 special items per zone you can possibly pick up pieces to.
    8. Allow if you sneak up behind a latern user you can knock them out atleast.
    9. In the daily mission for thieves and DB don't have the npcs respawn. Its fun to take your time clearing the entire place out without getting noticed. But it sucks that they respawn... let us live our inner hitmen lives. ;)
    10. Could have special marks and hiests (monthly targets) that require planning and preparations for very lucrative rewards.
    Edited by Heromofo on May 16, 2019 5:08AM
  • darthgummibear_ESO
    darthgummibear_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What about all the people who never get caught, but pay off the NPC in the underground thief area?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What about all the people who never get caught, but pay off the NPC in the underground thief area?

That is a choice.
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

If they never get caught, why are they paying off the NPC? :wink:

That's like pulling off the perfect bank heist and then walking into the police station to return what you stole.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Girl_Number8
    Girl_Number8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

^This.^

It's like clockwork about once every three weeks.

A player posts in the forums about how "watered down" the Justice System is after they get caught thieving ...

Lol true

System is fine. Be careful or Zos may rebalance it and you will wish you had it as it is now. :*

• Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every vamp, werewolfs and necromancer should be attack in every human city. Everyone using costumes polymorphs of the likes gets attacked in human city, no arrest attempt just kill on sight.

Criminals and murderers should be arrested and killed if they are refusing to surrender.
    I don’t like to announce that I’m a vampire and when I assassinate someone I don’t get caught 😎
  • mann9753b16_ESO
    mann9753b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought about something a little while ago, basically whenever you get a Bounty, it triggers a Debuff that increases the bounty you get the next time you get caught. The Debuff could last maybe an hour at first and only add like 50% to your next bounty and only when you are caught too often, it gets longer, until it lasts a day and you get 2/3 of the bounty filled for every crime you commit (and get caught).

Also I feel like, since we cant actually imprison people, you could get a Debuff when a Guard kills you, kinda like the sickness debuff in WoW when you use a Ghost healer, which makes you alot weaker for a long time. That way there is more thrill in crime, because you actually have a risk behind it.

The Cherry on top would be if the "killed by guard" Debuff lasts like an hour, but you can reduce it by like 10 minutes each time you do a repeatable fetch quest in a cities prison xD
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It feels a bit weak.
    I knooooowwwwww!!!
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/384538/for-great-justice/p1 ;)
    ZOS originally intended to add bounty hunters...and then wisely decided that was a terrible idea with lots of potential for griefing.
    And that is that on the PvP part idea.
    The powers that be decided against it.
    So any thoughts on that matter are a waste of effort until and unless they change their minds on this.
    Heromofo wrote: »
    1. Give guards the ability to surpress stealth or atleast be more alert when stealthing nearby. But i would say we would also need a way to fight the guards as well. Making them god like really blows. Would rather a well trained elite units that i can kill to escape.
    The problem with that is that we just know there would be groups aiming to wipe out all guards and murderdeathkill everyone in town "fer da lulz"; realistically the system ought to just spawn more guards to bury them with numbers, but... then they would go like "Lets see if we can make them spawn enough guards to crash the servers". Thus... the game designers gave each guard a "divine shield".
    ...personally I would have kept them at the same level as the cyrodil guards, but given them all an "arrest criminal" spell that they fire off at 50% HP to just wrap any attacker in unbreakable chains and drag them to the jail, but... eh.
    2. Make the system not give bounties if the witnesses are silenced. If no one can report the crime did it really happen?..... also bugs me In ESO.
    Well, we -do- have quest evidence of guards using spells to question the spirit of the victim... and there you go. I assume they use similar magicks to determine if something is stolen...
    3. Allow the use of persuade and intimidation against guards with a cool down to have them look the other way ( while not removing your bounty). Both requiring the use of bribing a small amount of gold to do and a 30 min cd ea?.
    In a setting with an actual "god of justice" possibly keeping a watchful eye on those sworn to his will, bribery might be a tad less widespread then in non-magical settings.

That being said... I could totally see this, as long as it has a good chance of blowing up in your face. Like... have the -option- to try it, but unlike the "clemency" it has a hidden chance to fail, which might be different from city to city (like,
    4. Werewolf and Vampire to have the Necromancer treatment.
    Agreed.
    5. Add a prison system to avoid paying the bounty. Sleep in the bed could come with a exp reduction limited time buff ( reverse exp scroll?, time based on bounty amount ) or you can try to escape.
    Been there, posted that: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/384538/for-great-justice/p1
    But not as option to avoid the bounty, but... as a punishment people might actually -care- about! Since most bounties are easily recouped by a little burglary, and getting killed means even less to immortal vestiges! Let people -fear- doing the time, so they get more careful doing the crime!
    6. Increase the limit per day ( even if a eso plus perk) of amount of items one can sell per day. Its such a fun side thing to do it sucks if you run out of the ability to sell for the day and still have a bag full.
    Personally... I can see the limit, even the best fence runs out of money to buy your loot.
    Tho I'd like to see it spread around, I can see why they might limit it to daily and not have to keep track of it per fence.
    ...it -could- however be done that they add a special fence that has no limit... yet only pays a reduced rate. To the Hew's Bane refugee, perhaps?
    7. More cool things to steal or get from killing legendary treasure chances?, pieces that you combine and sell to special buyers once you collect all bits?. Could have 3 - 5 special items per zone you can possibly pick up pieces to.
    Well, the "heist hit list" thing from hew's bane kinda covers that, in a way. But... more stealables would always be fun!
    BtW, we have paintings in treasure chests... why not other furniture artwork in houses to pilfer?
    8. Allow if you sneak up behind a latern user you can knock them out atleast.
    It would be interesting if thieves had more tools for their trade.
    I definitely would like a outlaw vendor that sold consumable stuff. Like, maybe a pouch of sleep dust that you can throw at a torch-bearing guard to make them take a nap, or a noisemaker you can throw in some corner to make guards go investigate, etc.
    9. In the daily mission for thieves and DB don't have the npcs respawn. Its fun to take your time clearing the entire place out without getting noticed. But it sucks that they respawn... let us live our inner hitmen lives. ;)
    Eh. Nah. That's what dungeons are for. The daily missions are -supposed- to be stealth missions, in, out, only kill your mark unless you mess up... we have other places for the "clear the whole area" thing.
    10. Could have special marks and hiests (monthly targets) that require planning and preparations for very lucrative rewards.
    Possibly! Perhaps even several stages... a thieves heist to steal the right key, an assassination mission to make sure the guard mage won't be coming on duty, and then a multi-level heist to empty the vault... that sort of thing.
  • JadeCoin
    JadeCoin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glurin wrote: »

If they never get caught, why are they paying off the NPC? :wink:

That's like pulling off the perfect bank heist and then walking into the police station to return what you stole.

My thoughts exactly. If you know what you're doing and properly geared, it's pretty easy to make a lot of gold and never get a bounty. The justice system is really about knowing the turf, and not letting your impatience give you away.

I think it's the patience thing that trips up a lot of people.