The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Magblade nerfs

Victor_Blade
Victor_Blade
✭✭✭✭
Magblade survivability was already bad. Then you nerfed an already disabled class by removing its damage (minor berserk) and giving it a bad migitation buff? How is that logical? Magblades needed heals to survive.

I also didn't notice much about the changes to cripple cos I was testing a different build on the pts. The major expedition nerf from cripple was totally uncalled for. It hurt the class in so many ways knowing magblade already had really bad mobility. I'd understand if you had any legit reasons of nerfing cripple but none. Do you guys just make major class changed on a whimp?

Some people will say magblade has good mobility cos of shade. But shade has been bugged for ages now and it's very unreliable.

Cripple was the only good gap closer magblades had, and you took that away. Now how do we execute our burst from range? Lotus fan has been buffed by only an idiot would use lotus fan on a pure ranged destro/resto build.

I want to take a moment to applaud for your brilliant insight. I guess the nerfs to a dead class makes sense since you had the brains to give silence to incap. Thanks again for the lovely game with a biased excuse of class balancing by killing bad classes and buffing good classes more.

I hope someday the devs realize the game isn't just for them but for the entire community. So buffing their own main classes and nerfing already bad classes isn't a good thing.
  • ProzTh3Almighty
    ProzTh3Almighty
    ✭✭✭
    Magblade is supposed to be a hybrid ranged/melee build. If you want to play a pure ranged build magsorc is probably a better option.
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, removed/nerfed a whole playstyle by nerfing cripple.
    Edited by Insco851 on May 13, 2019 4:09PM
  • Victor_Blade
    Victor_Blade
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magblade is supposed to be a hybrid ranged/melee build. If you want to play a pure ranged build magsorc is probably a better option.

Yes, I do understand. Since soul harvest and fear are melee skills. But a hybrid would make sense of nightblades had effective skills that made them viable in melee range. A heal or something to take some abuse.

They already nerfed dark cloak so now it's a dog shite version of mutagen.

The snare removal is nice but it won't save you when multiple people gang up on you.

Damage migitation can work in no cp but it isn't effective in cp campaigns.

They gave nerfs to the class disguised as buffs for survivability while they actually won't even be useful most of the time cos you will have to shoot the bow for burst.
  • Victor_Blade
    Victor_Blade
    ✭✭✭✭
    Insco851 wrote: »
    Yup, removed/nerfed a whole playstyle by beefing cripple.

It was a great gap closer, fight opener and a good dot with stun. It wasn't overperforming in the slightest.

Let's say it won't completely destroy a playstyle. But how do you justify a normal skill getting nerfed for no reason?
  • darkblue5
    darkblue5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Insco851 wrote: »
    Yup, removed/nerfed a whole playstyle by beefing cripple.

It was a great gap closer, fight opener and a good dot with stun. It wasn't overperforming in the slightest.

Let's say it won't completely destroy a playstyle. But how do you justify a normal skill getting nerfed for no reason?

Might be changing in 3 months given the single target dot audit?

Edit: Clarity
    Edited by darkblue5 on May 13, 2019 4:01PM
  • lnigo
    lnigo
    ✭✭✭
    Magblade survivability is bad? They literally have the best tools in their kit to reset any fight 1v1 or 1vX and completely avoid or evade zergs.
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dark cloak can EASILY out heal mutagen btw. DC ticks per second. Mutagen/rapid ticks every 1.5-2~ seconds. I actually expect that to end up a slight buff for my no cloak blade considering more uptime in minor protection.
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another nightblade qq'ing on the forums about not getting another buff to their already over-tuned class. Cry me a river. Meanwhile, the unfinished Necromancer class has barely had any focus on working on tuning its abilities and like the Warden, its magicka capabilities are sub-par at best.
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another nightblade qq'ing on the forums about not getting another buff to their already over-tuned class. Cry me a river. Meanwhile, the unfinished Necromancer class has barely had any focus on working on tuning its abilities and like the Warden, its magicka capabilities are sub-par at best.
    This again another magic user qq’ing cry me a river I’m sure you will be asking for pet sorcs to be buff next Q-Q everyone has a right to be upset about nerfs to there class.
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This again another magic user qq’ing cry me a river I’m sure you will be asking for pet sorcs to be buff next Q-Q everyone has a right to be upset about nerfs to there class.

I play a magicka Warden, the least loved class spec. As perhaps the leading authority on playing as the underdog in the midst of nerfs to your class, get over it. Adapt or move on.
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I play a magicka Warden, the least loved class spec. As perhaps the leading authority on playing as the underdog in the midst of nerfs to your class, get over it. Adapt or move on.

Another MagWarden main here...and I don’t know about underdog but mnb ain’t in a good place. It’s a very fun kit that has way too much work involved.
    Edited by Insco851 on May 13, 2019 9:24PM
  • Royalthought
    Royalthought
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lnigo wrote: »
    Magblade survivability is bad? They literally have the best tools in their kit to reset any fight 1v1 or 1vX and completely avoid or evade zergs.

Im assuming you mean cloak + shade?

On that note, Id honestly say that zergs are, by far, the strongest thing in the game.

Along with streak and range, cloak can allow nightblades to kill a member of, and escape a chasing zerg.

Think about how many are in that zerg. They all have forum accounts.

Thats why nbs get nerfed. 🤣
    Edited by Royalthought on May 13, 2019 9:54PM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    While that is true, the way the lack of healing plays out is that I have to, at times, cloak away for 12 seconds to pop 2 Healing Wards, before I'm back at full health (and the alternatives to Healing Ward suck even more). You can argue that rightly gives opponents time to recover, but equally it can be frustrating for both sides. If I don't stay in the fight and only gank you from time to time, that is not by choice. It's by necessity.

In a duel against a decent magsorc I will cloak away or I will lose, plain and simple. The damage a magsorc can put out while wearing something like Pirate Skeleton, Armor Master and Necro is decent. The damage of a full damage magsorc, running something like Necro + Bright Throat + Zaan is obscene against my magblade, while they have 20K shields and take no damage most of the time. I can build for damage or for sustain or maybe even for healing with Troll King, but I can't have it all as, seemingly, magsorcs can. The Murkmire shield and Healing Ward changes were by all accounts meant to nerf sorcs. They did not, but they hit magblade hard.

This isn't exactly meant as a complaint. I fully acknowledge the power of cloak in open world and that is where I play my magblade. The problem I have with the Grim Focus mitigation buff is that it's completely useless for my playstyle. I practice damage avoidance. Yes, I will shield, but my shields are gone in one GCD against good duellers. A sorc can shield and fire off a burst. I cannot do that. Shields are frequently just a stalling maneuvre while detected or before casting fear or Forward Momentum and getting back into cloak. I am squishy af. If you get me, you get me. What would be nice, is a little bit of reliable extra healing, so you are not forced to disengage so frequently and you are not just deleted by a magsorc or a stamblade, if you stay in the fight. Reinstating the Healing Ward initial heal would go a long way for magblade, for example. I have played with and without Minor Maim. For my playstyle it makes very little difference, thus I have no great hopes for Grim Focus.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Please think about how many stamblades kill you vs. magblades. This thread is about magblade. You seem to have no difficulty making that distinction when it comes to Necro.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Magblade is far weaker then mag warden and magblade deserves way more attention then mag warden to.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ugg, still don’t understand the complaints about the merciless mitigation. If you ever take damage in pvp, and you do, mitigation helps.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    Ugg, still don’t understand the complaints about the merciless mitigation. If you ever take damage in pvp, and you do, mitigation helps.
    It comes down to these points:

(1) If I take too much damage I shade or cloak. At that point I am mitigating all damage, resistances don't help me one bit, but I need some healing.

(2) Magblade healing has gotten so bad that it's, frankly, a priority. All the resistances in the world won't help you, when you don't heal well.

This is totally different from magden, by the way, who has reliable non-damage-related healing from every animal attack and, most of all, from that fantastic ability: Living Trellis. Would I swap cloak for that? No. Am I wrong to ask for something that synergises better with magblade playstyles, though?

Anyone who says that magden got nerfed and is a weak underdog class frankly hasn't got a clue. They have, most likely, not played all classes themselves and are only going by reputations. I play magden too. Magden has a bad reputation, because people couldn't figure out how to play it at first. In my experience the class works very well as a straight up magicka-stacking damage dealer, but probably even better as a controlling ice build. The reason I don't play it much is because I find the gameplay kind of bland.

Please don't get me wrong. Cloak is awesome at enabling open-world solo play. Only Streak comes close. I wouldn't trade that for the world, however there are 3 other classes and I wouldn't put magden, or any of them, as the clear underdog magicka class in PvP. One of the reasons you still don't see that many magdens is, IMO, that the class is/was hidden behind a paywall and, perhaps, that stamden has the better reputation.

(3) Of course resistances are not nothing and every little help is welcome. However I have played with and without Minor Maim (15% mitigation) and it really doesn't make a difference to my playstyle. Let's explore why that is. I play a Zaan + Caluu ganker. My playstyle is that of a traditional stamblade, e.g. I will try and burst you from cloak. The biggest mitigation I have does not come from mitigation at all, it comes from putting people on the defensive at that moment and from their team mates not immediately realising what's going on. More upfront burst works far better than anything else on a nightblade.

The next best thing, on magblade, is IMO speed. Speed and the shade have a high synergy with cloak. I find mitigation works better on other classes, magplar for example, and when you stack enough of it. On nightblade - this comes after playing the class for a long time - it works better to be squishy, all damage, and elusive. At the very least I feel this is what makes nightblade unique. When I play the class, I want to build that way, otherwise I'd play something else.

I know what you're going to say. Poor me, I can build for all damage with no compromise. You are wrong. My friend plays sorc. He pointed out that, even while wearing Armor Master, his Force Pulse tooltip is 3K. That is an insane number I can only dream of. My Force Pulse tooltip is below 2K. For all the damage buffs NB has / had, I don't know how to get magblade to similar straight up damage. Not without compromising my Cloak sustain and speed, which are essential to my playstyle. This is perhaps why many magblades claim melee magblade is not viable and is suicide. So please be aware: Yes, Caluu + Zaan is strong open-world, but in order to make this a viable build I rely on that high Cloak sustain and speed. Inbetween the procs my damage is hugely compromised.

In my book Grim Focus is a fine skill for duelling. In open world it is a crap skill. The wind-up time is far too long. Supposing I only used the skill for the mitigation, that has the opposite of a synergy - an anti-synergy? - with Cloak. (A) because a successul cloak means no damage and (B) because Cloak can quite quickly take you out of combat, once ZOS fix the "in combat" bug, which will cancel the mitigation.
    Edited by fred4 on May 14, 2019 9:21AM
  • Victor_Blade
    Victor_Blade
    ✭✭✭✭

It's a qq for magblade. Not nightblade as a whole cos stamblades will still be in a good spot while magblades will lose a lot of their class identity just for being a sub class of the nightblade class.

I'd like you advise you to actually play a magblade before you call it over tuned.
  • Victor_Blade
    Victor_Blade
    ✭✭✭✭

Okay but what happens when shade bugs out and someone drops an aoe or pops a decent pot? What do we do then? Heal? Dodge roll? Evading zergs and resetting a fight by cloaking out and sitting near a tree waiting for healing ward to run out is the best tool for defence? I hope you're joking or you've never played the class before because stamblades can use cloak and shade too. While also having vigor and dodge roll capabilities.

Edit : typos
    Edited by Victor_Blade on May 14, 2019 9:36AM
  • Victor_Blade
    Victor_Blade
    ✭✭✭✭

Without effective healing how? You have like a percentage less damage which isn't much. And it's not even the full 15% migitation cos of cp and stuff. Getting 200 damage off of a hit won't save you or help you survive.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overall, when played to new strengths Magblade will be buffed in 5.0.x However, balance is never only about the sum of the parts, but rather how well, how smoothly those parts work together in different aspects of AvA and ESO in general.

The problem for me is when I imagine the builds and play styles I would use in update 5, they are awkward and the variety of effective builds and styles will be reduced. But also, as much as that, it's because I've grown adverse to solving the problem of adapting to disruptive balance changes. I adapt, I grow to like a new way of playing, and then it's taken away by another disruptive change.

I am also frustrated by the design process. I feel the changes made to Lotus Fan and Grim Focus were driven by Trial balancing. I feel PVP Magblade is awkward in many ways because it's always a secondary or even tertiary consideration.
    Edited by zyk on May 14, 2019 11:46AM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Without effective healing how? You have like a percentage less damage which isn't much. And it's not even the full 15% migitation cos of cp and stuff. Getting 200 damage off of a hit won't save you or help you survive.
    There is a possible silver lining. When t3hasiangod tested the mitigation, apparently it was additive. That makes a huge difference to the math and the resistance buff might feel really strong. However it stands to reason it's a bug and will be fixed in a future patch, as all other mitigation buffs are multiplicative.
  • darkblue5
    darkblue5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »

(1) If I take too much damage I shade or cloak. At that point I am mitigating all damage, resistances don't help me one bit, but I need some healing.

(2) Magblade healing has gotten so bad that it's, frankly, a priority. All the resistances in the world won't help you, when you don't heal well.

This is totally different from magden, by the way, who has reliable non-damage-related healing from every animal attack and, most of all, from that fantastic ability: Living Trellis. Would I swap cloak for that? No. Am I wrong to ask for something that synergises better with magblade playstyles, though?

Anyone who says that magden got nerfed and is a weak underdog class frankly hasn't got a clue. They have, most likely, not played all classes themselves and are only going by reputations. I play magden too. Magden has a bad reputation, because people couldn't figure out how to play it at first. In my experience the class works very well as a straight up magicka-stacking damage dealer, but probably even better as a controlling ice build. The reason I don't play it much is because I find the gameplay kind of bland.

Please don't get me wrong. Cloak is awesome at enabling open-world solo play. Only Streak comes close. I wouldn't trade that for the world, however there are 3 other classes and I wouldn't put magden, or any of them, as the clear underdog magicka class in PvP. One of the reasons you still don't see that many magdens is, IMO, that the class is/was hidden behind a paywall and, perhaps, that stamden has the better reputation.

(3) Of course resistances are not nothing and every little help is welcome. However I have played with and without Minor Maim (15% mitigation) and it really doesn't make a difference to my playstyle. Let's explore why that is. I play a Zaan + Caluu ganker. My playstyle is that of a traditional stamblade, e.g. I will try and burst you from cloak. The biggest mitigation I have does not come from mitigation at all, it comes from putting people on the defensive at that moment and from their team mates not immediately realising what's going on. More upfront burst works far better than anything else on a nightblade.

The next best thing, on magblade, is IMO speed. Speed and the shade have a high synergy with cloak. I find mitigation works better on other classes, magplar for example, and when you stack enough of it. On nightblade - this comes after playing the class for a long time - it works better to be squishy, all damage, and elusive. At the very least I feel this is what makes nightblade unique. When I play the class, I want to build that way, otherwise I'd play something else.

I know what you're going to say. Poor me, I can build for all damage with no compromise. You are wrong. My friend plays sorc. He pointed out that, even while wearing Armor Master, his Force Pulse tooltip is 3K. That is an insane number I can only dream of. My Force Pulse tooltip is below 2K. For all the damage buffs NB has / had, I don't know how to get magblade to similar straight up damage. Not without compromising my Cloak sustain and speed, which are essential to my playstyle. This is perhaps why many magblades claim melee magblade is not viable and is suicide. So please be aware: Yes, Caluu + Zaan is strong open-world, but in order to make this a viable build I rely on that high Cloak sustain and speed. Inbetween the procs my damage is hugely compromised.

In my book Grim Focus is a fine skill for duelling. In open world it is a crap skill. The wind-up time is far too long. Supposing I only used the skill for the mitigation, that has the opposite of a synergy - an anti-synergy? - with Cloak. (A) because a successul cloak means no damage and (B) because Cloak can quite quickly take you out of combat, once ZOS fix the "in combat" bug, which will cancel the mitigation.

I guess were I'm coming from is just messing around with a bunch of set ups recently including Caluurion's. You're pretty right on a Caluurion's ganker that the mitigation from Grim Focus will rarely matter especially because you end combat before many light attacks or you're out.

I've had success with Caluurion's on live. It is probably the best solo magblade spec. My favorite spec has been Engine Guardian/Spinner's/Master's Infero/Spell Strat Resto.
    (Engine Guardian is off brand troll king partially cause it is on my stamblade and partially because my magblade has sometimes been a vamp because of PVE).
    The Grim Focus mitigation will be more synergistic than speed on this spec in part because it is a lot more costly for this spec to invest in Swift because its trying to stack stats. The stacked damage results in giant overkills if a full combo lands but given how hard that is to do with the delay on live it just means that pressure and partial combos are more viable. Its not a great build but just 1 Protective jewelry helps and sometimes you just delete someone because Master Destro.
    (Necropotence might be better than Spinner's if it wasn't on my magsorc and I didn't keep taking Shade off in a QQ because it bugged out just on some small cliffs in the middle of nowhere again. Can't wait to try Crafty Alfiq. Also should try Innate over Spinner's when I'm trying Refreshing Path but I hate how it doesn't buff light attacks.)
    With this set up getting up stacks on Grim Focus is usually not a big issue other than the fact that magblade just isn't the best. Maybe running no Protective would be the right choice then so I can stack full stats and still survive a little come Elswyer.
    Edited by darkblue5 on May 14, 2019 10:03AM
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On live currently.. my tankiest setup relies on dark cloak. Praying the new DC isn’t undertuned
    Edited by Insco851 on May 14, 2019 12:25PM
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main reason why magblades are nerfed are stambldes. It seems that even devs are confusing these 2 specs. Don't know why, maybe because of PvE. Nevertheless magblade is currently definitely the hardest to play both open world PvP and battlegrounds. Why? Mostly it's poor mobility (RAT needs it's 4s immunity back) combined with nonexistent healing on demand, hard counters to cloak (don't forget about free piercing mark now, which allows stamblades to disable our main defense skill) and bugged shade. As far I can deal with cloak counters, lack of good healing options and poor mobility makes magblade probably the worst spec in the game.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • HEBREWHAMMERRR
    HEBREWHAMMERRR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mitigation buff + change to dark cloak is going to be huge for brawler builds. The damage lost will hurt but the mitigation access we are gaining is going to make timing burst more crucial but easier to pull off without having to worry about self heals as much. I’d recommend trying dark cloak with a black rose resto. It’s changed my play style on magblade but I’m starting to almost prefer it over the old ward.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

@fred4

Yea, I’ve seen your opinion before and remember your playstyle. Your posts are well articulated, but I still don’t agree with them.

Here’s some things I think you haven’t considered:

1. ZoS has gone out of their way to nerf your playstyle. The issue is newer pvpers have too rough of a start to pvp because they get bursted down in seconds. Not everyone uses the forums and new players tend to get demolished.

Why do I think that? All forms of single target burst have been nerfed: Snipe, Dark Flare, Incap. So while gankers are already ineffective against experienced players they went ahead and nerfed it anyways to try and improve the new player experience.

The other thing that not a lot of people have talked about in regards to NBs is the aoe buffs. It will be close to impossible to stay in cloak post patch because of aoe spam. Have you seen the new caltrops? 28m range, huge area, damage the same as sap with a trailing dot. If abilities like this are spammed, it will be next to impossible to cloak.

2. Right now you’re going through a live scenario and applying it to a PTS environment believing pvp will remain relatively the same post patch. It will not.

3. Mitigation is better then more self healing. It’s a math thing. If you reduce incoming damage by half for example, you need half the self healing to break even. Mitigation is like having a higher health pool plus more self healing.

However this isn’t the main benefit. The main benefit is during cc, while cc’d you either have enough mitigation plus health to survive the burst until you have control again or you don’t. Surviving that burst while cc’d is what separates good pvpers from mediocre ones.

In your case you’ve likely been able to escape and been on the giving end of cc and burst. With aoe changes escaping will be WAY more difficult. I imagine shade will become more effective then cloak. Lotus fan in > stun > burst > shade out with dark cloak depending on how bad the aoe is.
    Edited by Iskiab on May 14, 2019 4:12PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • HEBREWHAMMERRR
    HEBREWHAMMERRR
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@fred4

Yea, I’ve seen your opinion before and remember your playstyle. Your posts are well articulated, but I still don’t agree with them.

Here’s some things I think you haven’t considered:

1. ZoS has gone out of their way to nerf your playstyle. The issue is newer pvpers have too rough of a start to pvp because they get bursted down in seconds. Not everyone uses the forums and new players tend to get demolished.

Why do I think that? All forms of single target burst have been nerfed: Snipe, Dark Flare, Incap. So while gankers are already ineffective against experienced players they went ahead and nerfed it anyways to try and improve the new player experience.

The other thing that not a lot of people have talked about in regards to NBs is the aoe buffs. It will be close to impossible to stay in cloak post patch because of aoe spam. Have you seen the new caltrops? 28m range, huge area, damage the same as sap with a trailing dot. If abilities like this are spammed, it will be next to impossible to cloak.

2. Right now you’re going through a live scenario and applying it to a PTS environment believing pvp will remain relatively the same post patch. It will not.

3. Mitigation is better then more self healing. It’s a math thing. If you reduce incoming damage by half for example, you need half the self healing to break even. Mitigation is like having a higher health pool plus more self healing.

However this isn’t the main benefit. The main benefit is during cc, while cc’d you either have enough mitigation plus health to survive the burst until you have control again or you don’t. Surviving that burst while cc’d is what separates good pvpers from mediocre ones.

In your case you’ve likely been able to escape and been on the giving end of cc and burst. With aoe changes escaping will be WAY more difficult. I imagine shade will become more effective then cloak. Lotus fan in > stun > burst > shade out with dark cloak depending on how bad the aoe is.

Exactly. Less damage taken = less healing needed. The AoE meta has been pretty rampant for some time, I officially gave up trying to slot stealth and adapted to even more of a brawler build with the cloak heal + br resto it’s excellent. This coupled with the increased duration of major protection and the passive mitigation brawler is 100% the way to go next patch in my opinion.
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mitigation buff + change to dark cloak is going to be huge for brawler builds. The damage lost will hurt but the mitigation access we are gaining is going to make timing burst more crucial but easier to pull off without having to worry about self heals as much. I’d recommend trying dark cloak with a black rose resto. It’s changed my play style on magblade but I’m starting to almost prefer it over the old ward.

Tried this for a bit. Are you slotting two shields tho? Found that VERY resource heavy.
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

On live dark Cloak is actually stronger than shadowy disguise because of the healing it provides in my opinion. it's actually stronger than vigor. I play more of a brawler type playstyle with armor master and blood spawn as well but I feel like that build has possibly been nerfed. My survivability is already incredibly high with my set up. The hard part of the build is putting out enough damage to kill certain opponents. So the 8% damage loss is going to be pretty big.

If the new mitigation from merciless is strong enough to where I can drop armor master and slot something like BTB and still have the mitigation I need then I think the change will be overall a positive because armor master and other defensive sets just kill your sustain. If the 15% isn't enough to where I can drop armor master then magblade just became borderline unplayable because you lost alot of damage to the point where you can't kill anyone and if you drop you defensive set you will still have bad survivability. I'll have to wait and see with this one.

I'm upset that they nerfed dark cloak though. The skill was fine as is. It provided good healing and defense for the cost of going invisible. If the healing is lowered I don't see much reason to use it over shadowy disguise unless I'm planning on dueling. The minor protection is nice but the bursty nature of the heal is really what made this ability good. Use annulment and then use dark Cloak and you where able to keep your health topped off.