Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773
We will be performing maintenance on the PTS on Wednesday at 3:00AM EDT (7:00 UTC).

What magblade needs are reliable heals, not mitigation

fred4
fred4
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Let me add my voice to the people who have already said this. When I duel sorcs running a duelling setup, they do so much damage I can never heal back up to full and my only option is to cloak away. That's because both Healing Ward and Dampen are destroyed within a single GCD. Wizard's Riposte makes zero difference, so I already know the added mitigation from Grim Focus will be useless. I was a bit surprised by that myself, as I found Riposte strong when it was first introduced and I was wearing it on both bars today. It just doesn't work on my current magblade.

Some background to put this into context. The build I run is a Caluurion + Zaan ganker. It's defenses are somewhat compromised by low magicka (33K), however I have been cautioning about buffing this playstyle, because I feel it gives a strong advantage in open world. Some things have happened that have made me change my stance:

(1) I started a new character on PC NA who is now CP200 and doesn't yet have full Impen gear nor all the important passives, such as Undaunted Mettle. I ran into another Caluurion + Zaan nightblade in no CP and, even though I eventually died due to overextending, I felt I could defend easily. I shielded and got away multiple times.

(2) My friend stepped up a notch on his sorc. He runs Necro + Bright Throat and has practiced a lot. While I usually just play open world, I've now had more duels against a really good sorc and it's devastating.

You can arguably build the same way on magblade, but magblade neither has the shield strength and the twilight heal of a sorc, nor the consistent healing of a warden. The latter class, in particular, has always felt much tankier than a casual glance would indicate. I've never quite pinned down why that is, but would point out that it gets a consistent, not damage dependent, heal from every animal skill and that Living Trellis is both an excellent buff and on-demand heal.

I am not arguing that nightblade should play exactly like those classes and, in fact, am playing a build that deliberately relies on speed and cloak instead of stacking magicka and bringing up the shield strength. If I did that, though, I still don't think magblade could compete with sorc or warden. I've consoled myself with the fact that I play an open world build, but basically my friend just slaps Pirate Skeleton on his sorc and is eminently viable in open world as well.

I don't really see a heal that may or may not work after every 5 light attacks as adding anything to my playstyle and do not plan on using that skill. I don't use it now. I've basically always seen Caluurion as a much better playing replacement for Grim Focus in open world. I also think there is a certain logic to my build not making a top tier dueller, since it's upfront damage and ganks are devastating when they work. I do, however, think that the Murkmire Healing Ward nerf, e.g. the loss of the initial heal, was one step too far for magblade.
PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just revert Refreshing Path Change and healing ward EZ done
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
    Options
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Less damage received is increased healing received.
    Options
  • Victor_Blade
    Victor_Blade
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shut up mate. You talk like you know so much about magblades but zos doesn't care about how you feel cos they know what's best for the class.

You want healing? You get damage migitation on your main burst ability. Oh oh I forgot, you'll lose the buff when you fire the spectral bow so you'll be wise to let it proc and just keep it there. Who doesn't want the 20k tooltip skill which takes 5 light attacks ( in pvp where people constantly dodge roll and stuff ) to proc just sitting there? Doesn't it look cool?

Oh so the grim focus nerf hurts you? Well just use your gap closer and take the death sentence head on.

And you think zos doesn't care about magblades? Well they just ultra buffed mark target so now it's free. But wait, only stamblades abuse mark target and they can roll dodge out if you mark them but what will you do if they spam a zero cost anti stealth skill on you? Accept your death like a man of course.

And you think you know the class better than their developers? Pathetic. Thank you zos!!! Now magblade is the most op class in for pvp in the game. Just nerf it a bit cos it's overturned and then we shall have some balance ^-^
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Daus wrote: »
    That only works when you actually have healing to speak of.

The more I think about it, tanky + healing works and damage avoidance + healing works. Tanky + damage avoidance does not work when, for the sake of the argument, the class had no healing at all. The point that some of us are trying to make is that reliable healing has gotten really, really low for a magblade in PvP.

I must admit I am confused about Merciless Resolve. Is the heal still attached as well? If so, how large is it in PvP?

Having decent, reliable heals makes a hell of a difference. The best example I can give, where you can experience this with consistency, is vMA. Classes that have access to good, consistent heals are much easier to play. This is why I hate mag DK. It's best heal is arguably the claw, but it's delayed and it will catch you out in vMA, if you are not used to the class. That's a place where you know the mechanics and everything is, at the end of the day, very predictable though.

Now think about PvP. Nothing so predictable about that. I find nothing more frustrating than having to be inward focused on the idiosyncrasies of my class. I feel it delays my responsiveness to the shifting battlefield, just to satisfy the bean counter that is the class. One of the reasons I play nightblade is that, along with templar, I find it one of the most straightforward classes.

I'm not saying that magblades should have equivalent healing to the other classes. More so I am OK with nightblades being squishy and having to practice damage avoidance. I think that should be the tradeoff, not a skill does it all (damage, healing, mitigation), but ties you into a specifc playstyle.
    Edited by fred4 on April 30, 2019 2:39AM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    And you think zos doesn't care about magblades? Well they just ultra buffed mark target so now it's free. But wait, only stamblades abuse mark target and they can roll dodge out if you mark them but what will you do if they spam a zero cost anti stealth skill on you? Accept your death like a man of course.
    I'm worried about this as well. One GCD every 5 seconds is a lot of time to spend in a duel. I think a detection potion will still be better for magicka classes. I have no idea how this will pan out for stamblade and zerg gameplay, though. Impossible to predict, based on the PTS. An ill-conceived change. The magicka cost should go back in on Piercing Mark, IMO.
    Options
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Nope. Not how it works.
    Options
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Nope. Not how it works.

Yup. It's called basic math.

Healing done - damage received = net health gained

The less damage you receive the more effective your healing will be.
    Options
  • darkblue5
    darkblue5
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. Not how it works.

kind of like how mag/stam skill cost reduction works. the more often you're taking damage the more times it comes into play as well.
    Options
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Nope. Not how it works.

Not a math quarrel, your wording was funky in your original comment because you called it "healing received." Your comment appeared to suggest that less damage meant an increase to healing received as it exists in ESO (Quick Recovery CP passive, Sanctuary set, etc.).
    Options
  • fastolfv_ESO
    fastolfv_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you cant balance a game on 1v1, mitigation is always better in larger scale and not being 100% self sustaining gives healers a reason to exist
    Options
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Grim Focus change is pretty shortsighted. Surprise Attack and Incap alone is enough to kill anything that isn't a tank, whereas magblade relies 100% on the bow proc to kill - this is going to lead to a meta where stamblades can sit on 15% mitigation with 100% uptime, on top of Vigor and Rally (and now Blur gives them a snare purge, so no need to run Forward Momentum) while magblades have to make the trade-off between mitigation they need to replace their lack of heals (no Healing Ward, nerfed Dark Cloak) and damage they need to replace their lack of layered burst (ex. no Curse, or Blastbones, or Deep Fissure.)

ZOS set out to nerf stamblade this patch, but they're arguably in just as good, if not better, of a position in PVP now compared to where they were before.

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
    Options
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    Let me add my voice to the people who have already said this. When I duel sorcs running a duelling setup, they do so much damage I can never heal back up to full and my only option is to cloak away. That's because both Healing Ward and Dampen are destroyed within a single GCD. Wizard's Riposte makes zero difference, so I already know the added mitigation from Grim Focus will be useless. I was a bit surprised by that myself, as I found Riposte strong when it was first introduced and I was wearing it on both bars today. It just doesn't work on my current magblade.

Some background to put this into context. The build I run is a Caluurion + Zaan ganker. It's defenses are somewhat compromised by low magicka (33K), however I have been cautioning about buffing this playstyle, because I feel it gives a strong advantage in open world. Some things have happened that have made me change my stance:

(1) I started a new character on PC NA who is now CP200 and doesn't yet have full Impen gear nor all the important passives, such as Undaunted Mettle. I ran into another Caluurion + Zaan nightblade in no CP and, even though I eventually died due to overextending, I felt I could defend easily. I shielded and got away multiple times.

(2) My friend stepped up a notch on his sorc. He runs Necro + Bright Throat and has practiced a lot. While I usually just play open world, I've now had more duels against a really good sorc and it's devastating.

You can arguably build the same way on magblade, but magblade neither has the shield strength and the twilight heal of a sorc, nor the consistent healing of a warden. The latter class, in particular, has always felt much tankier than a casual glance would indicate. I've never quite pinned down why that is, but would point out that it gets a consistent, not damage dependent, heal from every animal skill and that Living Trellis is both an excellent buff and on-demand heal.

I am not arguing that nightblade should play exactly like those classes and, in fact, am playing a build that deliberately relies on speed and cloak instead of stacking magicka and bringing up the shield strength. If I did that, though, I still don't think magblade could compete with sorc or warden. I've consoled myself with the fact that I play an open world build, but basically my friend just slaps Pirate Skeleton on his sorc and is eminently viable in open world as well.

I don't really see a heal that may or may not work after every 5 light attacks as adding anything to my playstyle and do not plan on using that skill. I don't use it now. I've basically always seen Caluurion as a much better playing replacement for Grim Focus in open world. I also think there is a certain logic to my build not making a top tier dueller, since it's upfront damage and ganks are devastating when they work. I do, however, think that the Murkmire Healing Ward nerf, e.g. the loss of the initial heal, was one step too far for magblade.

So...

You took ur CP 200 gankblade set up, without all impen and by missing some important passives and you dueled an experimented max CP full geared sorc duel build and you lost.

Then, you came to the conclusion than NB need buff and you just make a forum thread?

How about no?
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aedaryl wrote: »
    fred4 wrote: »

So...

You took ur CP 200 gankblade set up, without all impen and by missing some important passives and you dueled an experimented max CP full geared sorc duel build and you lost.

Then, you came to the conclusion than NB need buff and you just make a forum thread?

How about no?

Incorrect. I duelled my sorc friend on PC EU with my fully optimised CP810 NB on that server.

I duplicated my PC EU build on PC NA, where she is currently at CP200. There, I ran into a CP810 Zaan + Caluu NB, albeit in the no CP campaign, in IC. My PC NA character has bad traits, no Undaunted passives and no monster set, yet I was still able to defend myself quite easily. This was in no CP, where procs tend to be stronger. While I can't speak to the experience of my opponent, he seemed to be doing the right moves and was using a flame staff, which is actually stronger in a duel than what I run (2H).

My conclusion from the combined experiences is that a Zaan + Caluu gankblade is currently neither very strong offensively nor defensively in a duel. What it has going for it, of course, is the element of surprise.
    Edited by fred4 on April 30, 2019 12:23PM
    Options
  • Joosef_Kivikilpi
    Joosef_Kivikilpi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can agree. I've been running Calurian, Auroran, and Zaan in both open world and battlegrounds. As soon as you come up against an aware Dragonknight, Templar, or Warden, you ain't killing them anytime soon with the combo, especially so if they have one or two other people with them, and you will most likely be killed yourself. Literally, lately I've just had sit off to the sidelines and pretty much do nothing for my team until I could pick a spawner off. Mageblades are begging for scraps in pvp. It's bad. Only people I can effectively and easily eliminate are other Nightblades because of how squishy they are. That will be screwed over as soon as stamina Nightblades can mark me for free constantly so I don't have my Cloak for escape.GG.
    Options
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Nope. Not how it works.

This... seriously. People need to L2P, no wonder people say magblades are the worst pvp class, everyone’s glass canon when mitigation is king in pvp.

I don’t duel, but I do pvp a lot and can tell right away the people who’ve posted what sets their wearing will get smoked.

Without mitigation more healing is useless. You will get bursted down.
    Edited by Iskiab on April 30, 2019 3:46PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
    Options
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

Nope. Not how it works.

This... seriously. People need to L2P, no wonder people say magblades are the worst pvp class, everyone’s glass canon when mitigation is king in pvp.

I don’t duel, but I do pvp a lot and can tell right away the people who’ve posted what sets their wearing will get smoked.

I think you see a lot of dmg+dmg+proc combos on magblade because the easiest way to play the class atm is just gibbing folks. Considering the specs TTK, it’s hard to rely even on mitigation without SOME healing. Cp pvp perspective of course.
    Options
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @fred4

So what you essentially want is a high burst ganking setup that is also quite survivable, while also maintaining cloak and speed? I don’t see how that would be possible without being totally broken.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
    Options
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Insco851 wrote: »

Nope. Not how it works.

I think you see a lot of dmg+dmg+proc combos on magblade because the easiest way to play the class atm is just gibbing folks. Considering the specs TTK, it’s hard to rely even on mitigation without SOME healing. Cp pvp perspective of course.

Without mitigation even a magplar healer spamming breath of life can’t keep themselves up. With the average pen people in glass cannon specs essentially have 0 mitigation and are free kills.

This is definitely a case where the devs know what a class needs more then the players.

I’d suggest everyone just stop running glass canon specs, they’re terrible and you’re a free kill. Once you’ve pvp’d more and are pitted against players who have defense, you won’t be able to kill anyone. I’ve literally use blockade and light attacked people down in specs like this... as a healer.
    Edited by Iskiab on April 30, 2019 4:01PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    Options
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heres a question for you magblades, would you use malevolent offering and morphs, if it cost magicka instead?

My magblade had become a crafter cause its dogshite. But something as simple as making this cost magicka could solve problems (along other tweaks) It would be a reliable HoT without the damaging yourself stupid mechanic. The 1 morph would remain the same giving minor mending, the other could be reworked as it wouldnt cost health.
    Options
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Insco851 wrote: »

Nope. Not how it works.

Without mitigation even a magplar healer spamming breath of life can’t keep themselves up. With the average pen people in glass cannon specs essentially have 0 mitigation and are free kills.

This is definitely a case where the devs know what a class needs more then the players.

I’d suggest everyone just stop running glass canon specs, they’re terrible and you’re a free kill. Once you’ve pvp’d more and are pitted against players who have defense, you won’t be able to kill anyone. I’ve literally use blockade and light attacked people down in specs like this... as a healer.

Obviously that sort of spec only works as a pure gank and run build. Standup magblade has a much longer TTK, this why you see folks asking for more healing possibilities.

I was absolutely fine with dark cloak being that skill too. But low and behold stamblade ruined that as well.
    Options
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Heres a question for you magblades, would you use malevolent offering and morphs, if it cost magicka instead?

My magblade had become a crafter cause its dogshite. But something as simple as making this cost magicka could solve problems (along other tweaks) It would be a reliable HoT without the damaging yourself stupid mechanic. The 1 morph would remain the same giving minor mending, the other could be reworked as it wouldnt cost health.

I main a magblade healer. I like MO a lot, just because it’s a huge burst heal so a magblade and keep someone up when another class wouldn’t be able to.

Health drain is annoying... I’d obviously I’d prefer if it was free without a health cost, but that isn’t going to happen.

If it was changed to cost magicka instead I’d adapt, I’d have to try it out to compare to see which I’d prefer. Right now MO costing health instead of magicka means you can use it a lot more then a templar can use breath of life, but the dot effect stacks. Right now the cost of MO is moreso that the more you use it the more resto abilities you need to use to cover the health drain.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    Options
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I did use it before they changed it. Now it's not a self heal tho, so no.
    Edited by Lucky28 on April 30, 2019 5:07PM
    Invictus
    Options
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I main a magblade healer. I like MO a lot, just because it’s a huge burst heal so a magblade and keep someone up when another class wouldn’t be able to.

Health drain is annoying... I’d obviously I’d prefer if it was free without a health cost, but that isn’t going to happen.

If it was changed to cost magicka instead I’d adapt, I’d have to try it out to compare to see which I’d prefer. Right now MO costing health instead of magicka means you can use it a lot more then a templar can use breath of life, but the dot effect stacks. Right now the cost of MO is moreso that the more you use it the more resto abilities you need to use to cover the health drain.

One that cost magic and self cast would be nice. But considering the fact that this is the magblade healer skill, it’s really obvious the devs are not about to give them traditional heals.
    Options
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Btw, for those saying magblade needs more healing, etc... and mitigation sucks. Have you ever tried a high health regen build? Why have self healing abilities when you can pump up health regen for passive healing every 2 seconds.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    Options
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lucky28 wrote: »

I would if it remained a HoT.

Obviously if it cost magic, you would be able to hit yourself too.
    Options
  • TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shut up mate. You talk like you know so much about magblades but zos doesn't care about how you feel cos they know what's best for the class.

You want healing? You get damage migitation on your main burst ability. Oh oh I forgot, you'll lose the buff when you fire the spectral bow so you'll be wise to let it proc and just keep it there. Who doesn't want the 20k tooltip skill which takes 5 light attacks ( in pvp where people constantly dodge roll and stuff ) to proc just sitting there? Doesn't it look cool?

Oh so the grim focus nerf hurts you? Well just use your gap closer and take the death sentence head on.

And you think you know the class better than their developers? Pathetic. Thank you zos!!! Now magblade is the most op class in for pvp in the game. Just nerf it a bit cos it's overturned and then we shall have some balance ^-^

Man even I can't top this level of sarcasm, sardonism, and facetiousness rolled into one. Brav-fn-o
    Options
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Btw, for those saying magblade needs more healing, etc... and mitigation sucks. Have you ever tried a high health regen build? Why have self healing abilities when you can pump up health regen for passive healing every 2 seconds.

Magblade does need more healing though. If you build in enough mitigation for magblades low healing hots to be effective your damage or sustain will be so low that you will have trouble killing competent players and will essentially only function as group support which you will be outclassed by templars and wardens in because even though magblade can put out alot of healing it can't put out the overall utility of those classes.

Magblades 100% need better self healing though and that's what's really killing the class right now. Magblade would be in a much better spot if they increase the healing. overall magblades have lost minor vitality, healing ward and now 8% damage which all has or will effect your healing. If they increased the healing of strife and refreshing path I think that would help a lot in making magblade not the worse class.
    Options
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm saying i liked the original iteration of offering.
    Invictus
    Options
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

i was responding to this-

no idea where that one that is in that quote.

the one that was a hot? this one- https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=Online:Malevolent_Offering&oldid=1721383?
    Options
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

i was responding to this-

no idea where that one that is in that quote.

the one that was a hot? this one- https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=Online:Malevolent_Offering&oldid=1721383?

That’s so weird, you take a large health hit to get a hot that heals for less overall then the health hit? Looks like absolute garbage, what am I missing?

Pvp and healing in general is spike damage. Hots are useful so you have reaction time, but only if you can follow up it up a large burst heal.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    Options