Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why are Bretons so short in stature

mairwen85
mairwen85
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Breton, aka manmer (Aldmeri-Nedes) are the descendents of Direnni and Nedes, both tall and imposing races. So why are Bretons so small in comparison?
Edited by mairwen85 on February 20, 2019 8:43AM
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because everything in Tamriel is better than them, even Sloads.
    Edited by Claudman on February 20, 2019 8:19PM
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Claudman wrote: »
    Because everything in Tamriel is better than then, even Sloads.

I don't understand your answer, sorry. Let me rephrase my question with a bit more depth:

The progenitors of the human races Nord, Imperial, Breton are the Nedes -- an inherently hardy race of beings. When they arrived in Tamriel from Atmora, some settled in the Northern Harshlands (Skyrim) where their descendants eventually became Nords -- Nords bare the closest resemblance to the original Nedes in frame and appearance, their natural resistances an evolution of Nedic hardiness; others settled in the arid plains of Hammerfell (the Deathlands). The Nedes were driven out of their Hammerfell settlements by the invading Yokuda (who eventually became Redguards); the refugees spread across Tamriel, the survivors integrating into other civilisations as vassals or slaves -- the central tribes becoming Imperials -- those who escaped to High Rock were taken in by the Direnni and many Nedic females were taken as concubines by Dirennic nobles (as part of their 'permit' to stay the Direnni had a law that allowed them to have intercourse with any Nede they wished, and Nedes were compelled to comply). The offspring were the Aldmeri-Nedes, or Manmer -- they are described as being tall and slender with pale skin; so pale to be almost translucent and appearing as if charged by magicka, ears not as pointed as elves, but with a more pronounced tip than their Nedic for-bearers.

Centuries later, the Alessian Order ran campaigns against the Direnni which allowed their subversive population to rise up and rebel against them -- the Direnni withdrew, and the Aldmeri-Nedes took control over the area. High Rock was heavily contested by Human and Mer during this period, and splinter groups in the Aldmeri-Nedes appeared, the region was bastardised by many invading forces, but eventually came to exist as the Breton kingdom; dissidents and feudal divisions within the kingdom took up residence in the border region of the Reach, becoming Reachmen (a 'sub-race' of many heritages across all races, but primarily Breton).

Bretons have an innate affinity for magicka because of their elven ancestry, likewise their resistance to it is an evolution of Nedic hardiness.

If all this is considered, what happened to the unique physical features of the Bretons? They are slim and small in frame, but shorter than most other races (apart from Bosmer); they're basically just smaller Imperials (no pointy ears either) -- surely they should be tall like Altmer, and broad like Nords? I like that they're not, but I don't understand why that is?

One reason I could think of is that the original Direnni nobles conducted some form of (reverse-)eugenics, i.e. only 'kept' the ones born small or with desirable traits -- similar to how dogs are selectively bred -- to ensure subservience and to negate any possible future in which the Aldmeri-Nedes may attempt to claim their nobility from them...

Thoughts? [or theories, detail etc.]
    Edited by mairwen85 on February 20, 2019 10:26AM
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lack of mead in their diet?
    PC EU
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not enough malk
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Done some digging on the forum. Found this post:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/207172/height-scale-diagram

I stand corrected, it seems that Bretons, Dunmer and Imperials have the same height scale options from smallest to largest.

http://i.imgur.com/aQnGFfv.jpg

So -- Breton aren't any smaller than any other race(s) than Altmer, Nord and Orc.
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I meant "them", I was ****posting.

Bretons just look short because of their weird heads. Their heads are more "ball-y" then the other races of man like that of a potato or well...A ball, so it makes their overall body look a bit odd as well especially if you were to make them muscular and short. This all changes if you make their faces angular of course instead of soft or heroic. Bretons just look kinda weird in this game, but they've honestly looked weird in every game except Daggerfall, Arena or Battlespire.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

• TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lack of mead in their diet?

The contrary. As a medieval-themed society they drink too much wine, mead and beer, even as children. Thus their growing process suffers from the very first steps.
    Edited by TelvanniWizard on February 21, 2019 5:35PM
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bretons are average height similar to imperials. Probably the loss of elven traits over time and breeding with other humans.

Some bits of the Breton history described are a bit wrong. We can expand if you like but you can check UESP.net for more detail
    Edited by LMar on February 24, 2019 11:23AM
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Might just be what was locally attractive for a while. Humans will naturally breed selectively just like any other animal depending on what's considered a desirable set of physical traits for their environment. Maybe the Breton womenfolk just prefer a sleeker chassis on prospective mates. xD
  • Sekt_Tiberlus
    Sekt_Tiberlus
    ✭✭✭
    I know that dryskins, especially the altmer are inferior and weak, but bretons are truly mongrels. They took every worst trait from both elves and nedes. They are more miserable even than dunmer. Not surprised that their height is almost equal to bosmer.
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that dryskins, especially the altmer are inferior and weak, but bretons are truly mongrels. They took every worst trait from both elves and nedes. They are more miserable even than dunmer. Not surprised that their height is almost equal to bosmer.

'Dryskins'?

Why are you RP'ing on a forum? :thinking:

• MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish they were smaller.
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    LMar wrote: »
    Bretons are average height similar to imperials.

I found a forum post with height scale that shows the same.
    Probably the loss of elven traits over time and breeding with other humans.

Yes, I did consider that, inter-human coupling would naturally make human traits more dominant.
    Some bits of the Breton history described are a bit wrong. We can expand if you like but you can check UESP.net for more detail

I'd happily be told what I misunderstood -- this is basically what I interpret and put together from the various in game sources; I did check: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Breton, which seems in broad lines to be in line with my (very much abbreviated) summary. If my understanding is off-piste in anyway, please do let me know.
    I wish they were smaller.

I do too. Was just wondering why they weren't tall -- and by extension why they'd lost all elven traits. I guess the truth is that they really are the most mixed of the races (which makes them all the cooler in my opinion).
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton are my favourite race Breton are master race 🙂
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton are my favourite race Breton are master race 🙂

Bretons certainly have a more civilised society than most of the races of Tamriel. Breton master race indeed! (Even if it is raining like 95 percent of the time in High Rock lol)
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an intermingling of an enslaved race of nedes and the elves who bred with them I'd expect them to be pretty much as tall as any other people. Maybe if some are smaller it's because they didn't have as good a diet because they were of a lower social standing. If what I wrote was correct as I am relatively new to the lore.
  • LennoxPoodle
    LennoxPoodle
    ✭✭✭
    Are Needs Atmorans though? I thought that wasn't really clear. If they were tamrielic or came to tamriel long before Ysgramor, they might have been smaller than Atmorans, which would make sense (Bergmann's law). In that case the race most related to Nedes would be Imperials.